How to decrease the SQL DB Size ??

Hi All
My Customer build ZCM with 4000 workstations, it work more than one
year, the DB size grow to 60GB (ldf file).
Customer wnat to decrease the DB size, I want to ask how to make the
size small ? If we have some SQL could purge inv data from specifiec
date or other ??

thanks!!

wyldkao

--
wyldkao

wyldkao
3/19/2012 4:56:01 AM
novell.zenworks.10.install 2954 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That is not a data file.
That is a Transaction Log.

This is normally reduced in size when a backup is done, since a restore
can be done from that point and would not need to roll back all the
transactions.

It's probably best to ask in the MS SQL forums about proper backup and
maintenance procedures.

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0
craig
3/19/2012 12:39:27 PM
Hi

Okay... first of all; Do you have a backup maintenance scheduled? And
what does it contain?

There are a coulpe of different ways to get the T-log file shrinked.

The drastic way would be to backup the DB and shift the recovery mode
from full to simple (SQL 2008)... However I always do this another way,
plus if you are on ZCM 10, you are on SQL 2005, right?

First I check if the log-fil is using the space that it allocates, even
though it shows a size of 60 GB it sometimes only uses 10 % (or less) of
this. But in this case I would think it's more like 99%?

Before you can shrink the log-file you need to take a couple of
backups:

Change the database names, so it matches your database!

First backup the transaction log:

BACKUP LOG [ZCMDATABASE] TO  DISK = N'D:\Backup\ZCMDATABASE.trn'
GO

Then shrink the file:

USE [ZCMDATABASE]
GO
DBCC SHRINKFILE (N'ZCMDATABASE_log' , 0, TRUNCATEONLY)
GO

(the file you specify here is the logical filename of the log)

You may need to do this a couple of times. I also do a normal backup
before I shrink the log fil, just in case ;)

This should shrink the file... another thing you could check is the
"Initial Size" of the log-file, in most cases this should ony need to be
a few hundred MB (more or less).

In the future; do you schedule a transaction log backup? Daily, weekly
or...?

--
Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL
nop1983's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=57262
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453593

0
nop1983
3/19/2012 2:26:02 PM
In addition to what others have suggested.... Is this Sybase or MS SQL?

--
Anders Gustafsson  (NKP)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
4/1/2012 6:38:59 PM
I just assumed it was SQL based on the title ;)

--
Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL
nop1983's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=57262
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453593

0
nop1983
4/2/2012 6:36:02 AM
Nop1983,
> I just assumed it was SQL based on the title ;)

Yes, but both databases are "SQL" :)

--
Anders Gustafsson  (NKP)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
4/2/2012 9:58:21 AM
Yep, just fast to think of it as MS SQL... probably due to work damage
;)

--
Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL
nop1983's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=57262
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453593

0
nop1983

How does the installer install DB in SQL Server.
Hi All, I wonder how the installer do the DB installation when user choose to use SQL Server, I mean how does it detect what dbs are already in SQL Server, etc, etc. (is there a common dialog box for installing db in sql??) I would like to learn how the whole installer is created, where can I download the Installer project. If no, where can I found related tutorial on web? Thanks. I found this http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_11/online/ferracchiati/default.aspx online but the articles didn't say much about installing database in SQL Server. Thanks in advance! Edwin Edwin, ...

Advantage DB to Sybase SQL anywhere 10 DB
I've DL'd the Advantage ODBC and Advantage server and I cannot get the ODBC to show the fields within the .ADI, .ADM, .ADT files. Can anyone tell me what I am missing in order to convert the Advantage DB to the Anywhere 10 DB? Kevin Kevin, This group is used for ASE ODBC driver discussions... I expect that you'll need to post this message to a ASA newsgroup. Cory Sane [TeamSybase Intern] Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0 <Kevin> wrote in message news:47965cd7.4831.1681692777@sybase.com... > I've DL'd the Advantage ODBC and Advantage ...

SQL 2005 Install and ZCM 10.3 new install.
I have a Windows 2003 server with SQL 2005 Standard installed. I am running ZCM 10.3 setup.exe -c and I can't seem to contect to my existing database install. I installed SQL 2005 with a named instance. There is no other instances on the SQL 2005 install. I have tried both windows and sql authentication and both are a no go. What am I doing wrong? I have tried running the setup.exe -c on my SQL server and on a new install of Windows 2003 and neither work. I am virtualizing the SQL server, is this impossible? I can't even find error logs. Any help will be appreciated. -- ...

How to install SQL any 10
My PC has SQL Anywhere 10 (dev.edition) and PocketBuilder 2.1. How do I install SQLany 10 to my Pocket PC ? Steven Sitas never mind, I found it ... Steven Sitas � "Steven Sitas" <tspeed@otenet.gr> ������ ��� ������ news:468a9a04$1@forums-1-dub... > My PC has SQL Anywhere 10 (dev.edition) and PocketBuilder 2.1. > How do I install SQLany 10 to my Pocket PC ? > > Steven Sitas > ...

Installing multiple DNNs on single SQL Server DB causes install error
Just ran into this one: when installing a second DNN pointing to an existing SQL db already holding another DNN installation I get the following error during install:00:00:18.736 - Executing Additional Scripts:00:00:18.746 -   Creating Portal: DotNetNuke Default Portal00:00:19.758 -   Error: INSERT statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_DMXTest_TabPermission_DMXTest_Permission'. The conflict occurred in database 'DMXP', table 'DMXTest_Permission', column 'PermissionID'. The statement has been terminated.00:00:19.758 -  &n...

Decrease db size
Hello to everyone. First of all excuse my english level, and also my pb level. I�ve a database (ASA8), that sizes a lot, but has no data, because i deleted it. Sizes is the same with and without data �?. Is there any way to decrease this size, and clean this lost space ??. Any service in Sybase Central to do that ???. Any help, any web adress ???. Many thanks. Natalia. "CC" <softQUITAESTO@gic.es> wrote in message news:41e507cd$1@forums-1-dub... > Hello to everyone. First of all excuse my english level, and also my pb > level. > > I�ve a...

sql anywhere 10.0.1 direct install & maintenance patch install different version no of .net adapter
sql anywhere 10.0.1 direct install & maintenance patch install different version no of .net adapter Is this an expected behavior? thanks vsv are we talking about ebf 3515? the dll version appearing in .net reference is 10.0.1.35152 and .net does not complain the Sybase central reports sqlanywhere as 10.0.1.3515 is that what you got too? Oh btw, I have not rebooted the PC post ebf 3515 patch. However it reported an earlier version prior to the ebf I will reboot tonight and see what happens "vsv" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:46e...

Ubuntu 10.10 on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10
Kinda neet. I imagine that time was UTC? Bill -- Bill_MI - Bill in Michigan Expert Opinions $20, Shut-Up $50 On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:28:14 -0400, Bill_MI wrote: > Kinda neet. I imagine that time was UTC? Released on 10/10/10, at 10:10:10?? We'll have to call this one Ubuntu Masonic! :-) Bill_MI wrote: > Kinda neet. I imagine that time was UTC? Installed last night on my testbed laptop. Installer is different from previous versions. Main improvement is that the bootloader installation is not hidden behind an Advanced button on the last screen. Early in th...

BCP Sybase SQL Server db to SQL Anywhere db?
Anyone, I am searching for an automated way to take an entire Sybase SQL Server db on a Unix server and get it into a Sybase SQL Anywhere db on my laptop. I dont feel like going table by table through the Pipeline not to mention that I have RI proplems with this approach as well. Ideally, I would like to have explained to me a way to perform a BCP from the Unix SQL Server world into the windows based SQL Anywhere world. If this is even possible. The model itself is not as important as the data because we use ERwin and I am able to forward engineer the model onto the SQL Anywhe...

SQL db installer in msi
In an MSI, how do you get a reference to the installed sql server or msde, and display that test connection diag, and then run the scripts against the db?Get ready to blast your energy levels into high gear with Sedgewick Energy Drink. High powered adaptogenic herbs mixed with potent levels of B-vitamins and...Please disregard the contents of this post. what, you mean (local) in place of the instance name?RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadableJason Brown - MVP, IIS yeah - . darn where do I start? Nothing in google (searching w...

about decrease db file size
hi all, in order to decrease the db file size ,i unload the database to a directory,but how to reload it from the directory? i use iSql but prompted "not allowed while dba is using the database" ,but if i shutdown the database it prompted again:"the db engine is not started "...oh my god thanks You have a connection from Sybase Central. Disconnect from SC while reloading.... -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 Sybase TechWave User Training and Solutions conference -- August 4 - 8, 2003 in Orlando, FL. -- A gr...

[...]

How to decrease the size of the DataBase(SQL)
Hi All,I have a DB in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. It is of size 3GB!  The data are too less. Please review the below information.No of Table : 24No of storeprocedure : 148Function : 2No views are used yet. Each table have 5-6 rows with 7-8 columns. Generally each table have columns of type varchar(100),int and Uniqueidentifier.I am not saving any images/files in the DB. Just simple description,title,status are stored in each table. I don't know why the DB size is too much large.Please give me some solution to decrease the size.Thank you.  Warm Rega...

Web resources about - How to decrease the SQL DB Size ?? - novell.zenworks.10.install

Forbush decrease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Forbush decrease is usually observable by particle detectors on Earth within a few days after the CME, and the decrease takes place over ...

New comScore Study Shows Facebook Ads Increase Vehicle Consideration, Decrease Competitor Consideration ...
A new comScore Action Lift study initiated by Facebook shows Facebook’s impact on new vehicle consideration.

Study: Auto-Posting to Facebook Decreases Likes and Comments by 70%
Facebook Pages that automatically publish content to the news feed through third-party apps such as HootSuite, TweetDeck, and Networked Blogs ...

[iOS Advice] Decrease Your iCloud Backup Size - YouTube
Need more iOS Advice? Click here: http://apadv.co/ios-advice Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: h ...

More Britons are getting arrested in the UAE despite decrease in tourists - The National
There has been a 30 per cent rise in the number of Britons arrested in the UAE over the past two years, figures from the UK government show. ...

Real estate: Rents across Australia have recorded a monthly decrease
At last, good news for those living on the rental treadmill.

House price growth to 'decrease markedly', says Saul Eslake
House price inflation will decelerate further next year, weighing on construction activity and household sentiment, as real wage and income weakness ...

River Derwent: Heavy metal contamination decreases, effluent increases, report finds
A report that looks at the health of the River Derwent finds improvements in some areas and deterioration in others.

Evacuees focus on restocking food as Sask. wildfires decrease
Displaced residents from the northern Saskatchewan communities of Hall Lake and Clam Lake Bridge are now back home.

South Korea To Hike Cigarette Price By 80% To Decrease Smoking Rates
South Korea on Thursday proposed a steep 80 per cent hike in cigarette prices to cut consumption in a nation with one of the world's highest ...