NetWare 4.2 to Windows XP

I have a NetWare 4.2 server and a Widows XP Professional Service Pack 2
server and I am trying to figure out a way to get these two servers to
communicate with eachother without installing NetWare on the Windows XP
server.  I found the NetWare 4.2 manual in the documentation archive on
Novell's website and I've looked through it a bit and haven't found
anything.  I searched other postings on this group and one other and
didn't have much luck there either.  I'm trying to do this because I
want to move files from the NetWare machine to the Windows XP machine.
If anyone has an idea as to how I could accomplish this, or if anyone
knows that it's impossible, any help would be sincerely apprecaited.

Thanks much,

Jordan

0
jfleming1024
5/15/2006 6:32:54 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do you mean Windows 2003 Server here?  To the best of my knowledge,
Windows XP Professional isn't a server OS (though it can share files),
but a workstation OS.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
5/16/2006 12:14:02 AM
I concur with Barry and Andrew's comments.

Why not install the Netware client for Windows XP, move the files over, then
remove it?

But I have to ask, why would you move the files off of a Netware 4.2 server?
Netware 4.2/4.11 is unmatched in efficiency, stability, and speed, when
properly configured.  And your Windows XP Professional machine doesn't
support the "salvage" function for deleted files.  That feature alone has
saved many an Admin, allowing a file to be recovered without going back to
the tape backup.

Best wishes,
Bob Carroll

<jfleming1024@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a NetWare 4.2 server and a Widows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> server and I am trying to figure out a way to get these two servers to
> communicate with eachother without installing NetWare on the Windows XP
> server.  I found the NetWare 4.2 manual in the documentation archive on
> Novell's website and I've looked through it a bit and haven't found
> anything.  I searched other postings on this group and one other and
> didn't have much luck there either.  I'm trying to do this because I
> want to move files from the NetWare machine to the Windows XP machine.
> If anyone has an idea as to how I could accomplish this, or if anyone
> knows that it's impossible, any help would be sincerely apprecaited.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Jordan

0
Wallgames
5/16/2006 1:19:01 AM
On 5/15/2006  jfleming1024@gmail.com wrote:

> I am trying to figure out a way to get these two servers to
> communicate with eachother without installing NetWare on the Windows XP
> server.
> I'm trying to do this because I
> want to move files from the NetWare machine to the Windows XP machine.

Please read the NetWare documentation on how to configure FTP in
the NetWare4.2 server.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

0
jfleming1024
5/18/2006 6:21:03 PM
Thankyou for the help, this is infact was we have done and it has
worked.

0
jfleming1024
5/18/2006 6:21:04 PM
Actually this is a little bit more what we did; installed the client
and then removed it.

You are not alone in your regard for 4.2/4.11 (though I personally have
negligible experience with netware) but orders are orders :)

Thanks much!

0
jfleming1024
5/18/2006 6:27:04 PM
If the plan is to retire the NetWare server, you can install the novell
client, then copy the data to the Windows XP workstation, then
uninstall the client.

As to the merits of this -- well once I get past 4 or 5 users, peer to
peer can have some pretty real drawbacks in terms of administrative
handling, but of course it can be done.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

NetWare 4.1 Upgrade To NetWare 4.2
We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be downloaded and installed? John G. jagaman@adelphia.net The reason for the upgrade was so we could use Backup Exec 9 John A. Goodrich wrote: > We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to > upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be > downloaded and installed? > > John G. > > jagaman@adelphia.net > You need to purchase Netware 4.2 with the appro...

49sp1, NetWare 4.2 and Windows Xp Pro
Hi, I installed 49sp1 client on Windows Xp Pro laptop my netware version is 4.2. Not able to log in, "tree and server not found". If I install de MS Cliente for netware, I am able to explore the server. I wonder if I am missing somethig. Need help, Thanks Luis, Make sure when you install the client you do it as a custom install, IPX only. If you're still having connection problems, make sure the laptop IPX frame type is set to match that of the server. -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. http://haitch.net (Pleas...

Configuring an Windows XP client with a Netware 4.2 server
I am somewhat new to Novell. I have to set up an employee's new computer and configure it to have access to our Novell server. The new computer is running Win XP Pro. The only client version we have is for win 95/98. I need to know how to set everything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Download the Novell Client for XP from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Since you are working with a 4.x server -- I'd go with the 4.83 client: > Where can I download full 4.83SP...

Windows XP & Netware 4.2 Network Printer Captures
Printer capture settings drop off (disappear as though an End Cap was issued) after the first print job on our Windows XP computers. Is this a Windows XP or Client 32 problem? Is there a workaround or fix? This didn't happen on Windows 98se. Server: Netware 4.2 SFT3 Workstation: Windows XP Professional sp 1 Client32: 4.83sp3 Thanks, Larry These DOS print jobs? -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com Yes, they are DOS print jobs. S/ Larry Dave Lunn wrote: > These DOS print jobs? Geeze this is getting old. XP really doesn&#...

Can Netware 4.2 support SATA Harddisk?? #2
thx , > : Can Netware 4.2 support SATA Harddisk?? > If your vendor provides a driver. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially. Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at http://support.novell.com/enhancement Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195 ...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Services For Netware v.5.02 Service Pack 2 Windows Services for Netware Service Pack 2
The Windows Services For Netware 5.02 (Service Pack 2) provides a cumulative roll up of updates and services that have been offered since the release of Windows Services For Netware 5.0. SFN SP2 offers substantial improvements to the Directory Synchronization and File Migration Utility since the initial release of the Microsoft Windows Services For Netware 5.0 software product. The Windows Services for Netware Service Pack 2 offers two updates for download: MSDSSSP2 and FPNWSP2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?V689333A5 -- Regard: Joh@nnes "If U know neither the enemy nor yours...

Migration from Netware 4.2 to Netware 6.5
Ik want to migrate 2 Netware 4.2 server to 2 Netware 6.5 servers. I use the MgrtWiz. 6.5. This wizard give me the option to do a migration to Netware 6.5 from a Netware 4.2 server. But............. Yes, i have a problem.... The migration stops.... before he actual copy's a file to the destination servers.. The trustees are backuped... The destination server is a Netare 6.5 server installed with the overlay CD 6.5 sp 1... and over this i used the nw65sp1a pack... Also i updated the file nuwagent.nlm......on the servers What do i wrong...... > What do i wro...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Question on utility NWADMIN for NetWare 4.0 which are compatible with Windows 2000 Pro Windows XP Pro
Good afternoon! On a file server it is established NetWare 4.0. Earlier management of this server was carried out by means of utility NWADMIN95 which is established on the computer with Windows 98SE and Client32. Now there is a question of installation on all computers Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. Thus on official site Novell.com i have found utilities NWADMIN and Client32 only for NetWare 5.0 and later versions. Though these utilities are compatible with Windows 2000/XP Pro, these utilities are incompatible with Netware 4.0. Ask to inf...

Removing IPX support Netware 6,Netware 4.11
Hi all, Does anyone know a way of forcing Netware 4.11 to use IP instead of IPX as its preferred protocol? After removing IPX support from our netware 6 boxes, our netware 4.11 box can no longer communicate. I would have thought that it would attempt to use IP instead of IPX... I haven't had a lot of experience with netware 4.11 boxes. Thanks in advance, Ben. NW 4.11 can only use IPX for NCP communications. The only way to go what looks like IP only is to use Netware/IP or CMD, but both these are just ways of encapsulating IPX traffic in IP packets and they are no...

Web resources about - NetWare 4.2 to Windows XP - novell.support.netware.4x

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ