netware 4.11 - windows XP - client 4.9

We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many
flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations
use client 4.83 with no problem.  Our primary use is a dos based program
using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine.

I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't
connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I
connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the
btreive engine,  it always freezes up after a few minutes.

Any advise?
Help

Abba
0
abba
2/17/2004 5:57:38 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you want to run a DOS app, boot to a DOS floppy and run it using .VLM
client

XP has all manner of trouble doing DOS work.
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
2/17/2004 7:06:22 PM
I'm not an advocate of either XP or the 4.9 client -- though properly
configured and updated it should work.

You might simply uninstall (completely) the 4.9 client, then download and
install Client 32 4.83SP2, then the SP3 update.

Do the install in Custom mode, client only, ipx only.  Configure for the
specific frame type (802.2) instead of auto.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Removing IPX support Netware 6,Netware 4.11
Hi all, Does anyone know a way of forcing Netware 4.11 to use IP instead of IPX as its preferred protocol? After removing IPX support from our netware 6 boxes, our netware 4.11 box can no longer communicate. I would have thought that it would attempt to use IP instead of IPX... I haven't had a lot of experience with netware 4.11 boxes. Thanks in advance, Ben. NW 4.11 can only use IPX for NCP communications. The only way to go what looks like IP only is to use Netware/IP or CMD, but both these are just ways of encapsulating IPX traffic in IP packets and they are no...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

IntraNetware 4.11 & NetWare 4.11 Licenses...
Can the licenses from IntraNetware 4.11 be used with NetWare 4.11? Also, what if any, are the major differences between these two OS versions? Thanks for your reponses. Dave Kalling Identical in License and program except that Intranetware came with 2 more CDs beyond NW 4.11. The IP/IPX gateway, the ftp server, and something else I think. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opini...

NetWare 4.1 Upgrade To NetWare 4.2
We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be downloaded and installed? John G. jagaman@adelphia.net The reason for the upgrade was so we could use Backup Exec 9 John A. Goodrich wrote: > We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need to > upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be > downloaded and installed? > > John G. > > jagaman@adelphia.net > You need to purchase Netware 4.2 with the appro...

NetWare 4.10 vs 4.11
I have several 4.11 servers and one 4.10 server to upgrade. All references I see talk about 4.11 and 4.2 do the same patches apply to 4.10 or is it seperate? > I have several 4.11 servers and one 4.10 server to upgrade. All references I > see talk about 4.11 and 4.2 do the same patches apply to 4.10 or is it > seperate? > 4.1 has it's own patch set. You cannot use 4.11/4.2 SPs on 4.10 -- Andy Thompson Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp (No email support, thanks.) So if I want to migrate that server to NW6, I would first need ...

Netware 4.11 and InoculateIT 4.5
Just upgraded the virus signature files on a 4.11 server with InoculateIT 4.5. However when I restart the scanning engine, it fails to load the inocucmd.nlm saying there is a critical error. I've looked on the CAI site and they have this very problem on their FAQ section. However, the response they give is "This error generally points to not having IPX installed on the Netware Server. Currently, we still require IPX be installed and loaded on a Netware server." which is not that helpful! I know that if I reboot the server, the problem will disappear, however, I'...

Netware 4.11 and 4.2 licenses
Are Netware 4.11 and 4.2 licenses interchangeable? Netware 4.2 seems to be just a patched 4.11 system. Thanks, Larry The licenses are *not* interchangeable. Further, versions of 4.11 cannot interchange licenses either. ie: 4.11 Small business and regular 4.11. 4.2 is virtually identical with 4.11 sp6a, and functionally they are identical at SP 9 as regards apps. -- Dave Lunn NSF SysOp http://support.novell.com I was not speaking about 4.2 small business... I WAS asking about the interchangeability (or non-) if regular Netware 4.11 and regular Net...

Upgrading Netware 4.11 to 4.2
HI, I am seeking some advice, I need to upgrade a v4.11(10user) netware server to V4.2, due to having to upgrade backupexec to veritas backupexec 9.1 and the OFA. I just wanted to find out if i just purchase the netware 4.2 media kit, will I have any hassles installing this....( will I have any licencing issues to worry about) It has been a while since I have had to worry about an upgrade and just wanted to check. thanks for any assistance David > I am seeking some advice, I need to upgrade a v4.11(10user) netware server > to V4.2, due to having ...

NT 4 to Netware 4.11 Migration
Does anyone know of a way to migrate an NT4 Server Domain user list to Netware 4.11? Any info would be much appreciated. Joshua Ackerman <phares@uchicago.edu> Look in the documentation (http://www.novell.com/documentation) for UIMPORT. As long as you can export the user list from NT4 in a comma delimited format, you should be able to use UIMPORT. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) In addition, the Novell Migration wizard does that. Problem is that you need to find an old one as the current only does migrations to 5.x ...

Netware 4.11 to Netware 6.0 upgrade
Hello, I have five NetWare 4.11 servers in WAN environment, three of them in the central location. I want to insert a new NetWare 6.0 server in existing NDS tree (only NetWare 4.11). All NetWare 4.11 servers will remain in their function for some months. What is the best method to do that ? I saw in TID 10075926 that Novell recommends installing new server as NetWare 4.11 and then upgrading to NetWare 6. I don't like that scenario. I have new HP Proliant DL 360 which not support NetWare 4.11. I also want NSS volume for SYS volume. I saw in support forums that someb...

Installing Netware 4.11 on a Pentium 4 server
Has anyone had recent expererience installing Netware 4.11 on any of the current Pentium 4 class of servers? Our 7+ year old P150, 2 GB server is getting old enough that we are concerned about the usual failure potentials. We would like to upgrade to a fairly modest Dell P4 2.26 GHz server, but are concerned about compatability issues between old software and new hardware. We are operating our business using a distribution software that uses Btrieve databases as it's underlayment, so migrating to the latest Netware version is currently not desirable. I look forward to h...

Removing IPX Netware 4.11 / Netware 6
Hi all, is there any way of removing IPX support from Netware 4.11? We are in the process of implementing a VPN and cannot have IPX traffic flowing across the WAN. Can the IPX traffic be encapsulated in an IP packet by the netware server? Thanks in advance, Ben Yes. you can use SCMD. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com ...

Installing Netware 4.11 on Pentium 4. Server
Hi Everyone, Im using Netware 4.11 for 6-7 years using P1. 200Mhz so far no problem, Now I have problem when I'm trying change new server to IBM Xseries P4 2.66ghz. always hang the server.I already change the processor to 2.0 Ghz but still problem always hang on the server. Anyone knows what the best solution to installing Novell 4.11? what the high processor requirements for Netare 4.11? Thanks, Rully Furqon Email : rully_furqon@hotmail.com The Pentium 4 would be wasted on a 4.11 server, but it won't cause problems. Could you provide some more detail as to th...

Need a Netware 4.11/4.2 CD
Can anyone tell me where I can find a Netware 4.11 or 4.2 CD? The ones I had were lost during Hurricane Katrina. Thanks for any help, Bill You might try via Ebay -- you do have the licenses right? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

Web resources about - netware 4.11 - windows XP - client 4.9 - novell.support.netware.4x

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ