I have Netware 4.1 running on dos with dataflex and windows 98 machines.  I
am getting a Windows xp or xp professional machine.  Any one know which one
would work best for a dos based database system and would work with novell
4.1 and which client to use.  We also have word and excel documents on the
fileserver that are shared by the windows 98 workstations. We would like
the xp or professional to run the dos stuff and also share the word and
excel files.
Thank You, Seth
0
SETHG
2/9/2004 9:24:18 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

XP Professional is the one designed for networking environment. Although,
I've seen reports that XP Home works - it's not recommended.
The Client you need to install on XP Professional is the v4.9 (or v4.83
with SP3) which can be found at http://download.novell.com

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

Start where Edison pointed you.  My preference would be the 4.83 SP3 client,
but from what I have seen in the forums you may have a lot of trouble with
XP and DOS app printing.  If you can go to W2K you'll likely fare better.
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
2/9/2004 9:46:00 PM
I agree with Dave -- if you have the option for Win 2000 instead of WinXP
go for it.

I do have a client running a Win2K SP3 workstation with the 4.83SP2 client
and making heavy use of the DOS Dataflex application -- DOS printing works
ok there.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry