I have Netware 4.1 running on dos with dataflex and windows 98 machines.  I
am getting a Windows xp or xp professional machine.  Any one know which one
would work best for a dos based database system and would work with novell
4.1 and which client to use.  We also have word and excel documents on the
fileserver that are shared by the windows 98 workstations. We would like
the xp or professional to run the dos stuff and also share the word and
excel files.
Thank You, Seth
0
SETHG
2/9/2004 9:24:18 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

XP Professional is the one designed for networking environment. Although,
I've seen reports that XP Home works - it's not recommended.
The Client you need to install on XP Professional is the v4.9 (or v4.83
with SP3) which can be found at http://download.novell.com

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

Start where Edison pointed you.  My preference would be the 4.83 SP3 client,
but from what I have seen in the forums you may have a lot of trouble with
XP and DOS app printing.  If you can go to W2K you'll likely fare better.
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
2/9/2004 9:46:00 PM
I agree with Dave -- if you have the option for Win 2000 instead of WinXP
go for it.

I do have a client running a Win2K SP3 workstation with the 4.83SP2 client
and making heavy use of the DOS Dataflex application -- DOS printing works
ok there.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison

New Windows XP Client / Old 5 user Netware 4.1
New Windows XP client connects and logs into old 5 user netware 4.1 server using Microsoft Network but refuses to find or log into same server using Novell Netware program. Why???????????? Will it be necessary to upgrade to server to accomodate the new client, or is there a patch, etc. that will allow this connection?? How is Microsoft able to make this connection without upgrading the server, etc???? When I purchased Novell 4.1, it was with the understanding that new clients will be able to connect. Is seems grossly unfair to require additional cost for new product now tha...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Netware 4.1 and XP Client
Hello folks, I recently fired up an old (1997) Proliant server running Netware 4.1. Amazingly, all drives booted just fine after the drives were reseated. I can get onto this beast just fine from DOS, but I'm having a tough time with the XP client. I downloaded the 4.83 client, as this seemed to be the general recommendation. I can't get this client to see the server or the tree. I can't remember what the tree is supposed to be, anyway. I've made sure at this point that both IP and IPX are loaded and tweaked the IPX so NLSP is also running. The workstation can pi...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Remove Netware Client 4.9 on Windows XP
I use a unattend.txt to do the install. Then I edit that file and add the DoRemove=YES and it looks like it works. But at the end I get a error saying: "The installation was not completed successfully". But if I reboot then it looks like everything is gone. I need some way of removing the client from about 800 workstations, and I would like some way of scripting it. I did a search on CoolSolutions and the knowledgebase and did not really come up with anything that helped. Thanks, Greg Marcom marcom@purdue.edu Technical Support Administrator Purdue University ...

Configuring an Windows XP client with a Netware 4.2 server
I am somewhat new to Novell. I have to set up an employee's new computer and configure it to have access to our Novell server. The new computer is running Win XP Pro. The only client version we have is for win 95/98. I need to know how to set everything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Download the Novell Client for XP from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Since you are working with a 4.x server -- I'd go with the 4.83 client: > Where can I download full 4.83SP...

Client Windows XP y Servidor Netware 4.11
Necesito hacer una consulta urgente, ya que disponemos de un Servidor Novell Netware 4.11 con Support Pack 9 y todo funciona correctamente con terminales Windows 98, pero al instalar terminales con Windows XP y el Novell Client 4.91 para Windows XP, no quiere hacer el login ya que no encuentra el Servidor o el �rbol. �Hay alguna incompatibilidad entre el Client 4.91 para XP y el Netware 4.11? �Que debo hacer, o donde me tengo que dirigir? A la espera de sus noticias. Gracias Gracias ya he visto que la respuesta estaba ya en el foro y que las recomendaciones son las qu...

Windows XP, Netware 5, client 4.83 sp2
LS. Workstation XP with Novell client 4.83 Sp2 is very slow retrieving info from server (Novell 5). Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most we use tweaks) 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 server? Dirk > Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most > we use tweaks) No, 4.83 SP2 or SP3 should do fine -- what protocols did you set up? > 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 > server? > You might try the more rece...

Automatic XP Windows logon and netware client 4.91 SP3
Is it possible to enforce the netware logon process and dispense with the windows XP workstation one. There are multiple netware account users but single XP workstation user account. I would like this account to be a "user" one rather than power user or admin. Thanks Martin > "Martin Hoare" <martin.hoare@spc.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message > news:aNdwi.944$pG6.406@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > > Is it possible to enforce the netware logon process and dispense with the > windows XP workstation one. > > There are multiple net...

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

Windows XP with netware client 4.91 sp5 IR1 hangs on startup
I seem to have a big problem with Windows XP SP3 and netware client 4.91 sp5 ir1 in that the system boots up then I just get the mouse pointer. (no login box is displayed) IF I uninstall the netware client in safe mode without networking then reboot the system I can login to windows no problem. So it must be something with the client software. I also installed the patches with the same issue. Any idea's on this one? Thanks -- comnet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Do you have any kind of third party firewall product ins...

Zen 4 & windows xp using netware 5.1
is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) have just bought in 100 xp pc's and want the workstations rectricted centrally. thankyou PM > windows group policies Group Policies are what ZfD4 uses to restrict a Win2k and XP PC. -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop paul.matchett@hotmail.com, > is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's > and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) Just a...

Web resources about - Netware 4.1 windows xp or xp professional and which client - novell.support.netware.4x

Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction ...

London Olympic Games near miss inspires Canberra boxer to fulfill professional dream
One lousy point was all that stopped Canberra boxer Dave Toussaint from fulfilling his Olympic Games dream.

Silicon Valley professionals take LSD to boost productivity
Coffee may be your mind-sharpening tool of choice, but some of Silicon Valley's brightest brains are relying on something substantially stronger ...

Professional lawn decorators light homes for the holidays, for a price
A company in Windsor, Ont., is helping some people have a front yard to rival Clark W. Griswold's without any of the work.

A Bold and Textured Bachelor Pad — Professional Project
Pin it Project by: Denise Wilson Location: New York, New York Now this is how you do texture! From the walls, to the rugs, to the pillows there ...

Engaging with your professional network is now easier with LinkedIn for iOS
Back in October, LinkedIn previewed a major redesign of its flagship mobile app. Now, the professional networking company has officially released ...

What Not to Wear to a Professional Photo Shoot
When it comes to a professional photo shoot, there are certain recommendations that you should follow in terms of what you should wear, especially ...

Women in Professional Sports
by wj A few days ago, the Economist had a post on their Game Theory blog entitled Playing with Pink Balls. The thumbnail photo (and it really ...

With Trumpism mainstream where do professional right wing haters have to go?
With Trumpism mainstream where do professional right wing haters have to go? by digby I wrote about the latest wingnut dilemma for Salon today: ...

American Airlines Loses Professional Dancer’s $250K Prosthetic Leg, Finds It In Another Country
If you thought the airline losing your suitcase of souvenirs was rough, imagine if they lost a bag with your prosthetic leg. That’s apparently ...