drive map error on XP client

My network is a bit behind the times but it has served me well. I'm adding
my first XP client today and most of my login script is working except for
one which returns the error: The following drive mapping operation could not
be completed [ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN]
The error code was 8804

This mapping works:

if member of "FSGROUP" then
MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS
MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT
endif

While this one doesn't:

if member of "Admins" then
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
else
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME
endif

Can anybody tell me what my XP client doesn't like about the "MAP ROOT K"
mapping statement? All of my other clients are WIN98SE machines and they
seem happy.

Thanks,

Scott

0
Scott
12/7/2004 9:04:26 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try using full distinguished names when using IF MEMBER OF "GROUP" THEN.
Also, make sure the user in question has rights to the \VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
folder. Is the Q mapping working without problem ?

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

Yes, all other drive mappings are working fine on the XP client.

"Edison Ortiz" <eortiz@nscsysop.com> wrote in message

> Try using full distinguished names when using IF MEMBER OF "GROUP" THEN.
> Also, make sure the user in question has rights to the \VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
> folder. Is the Q mapping working without problem ?
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Scott
12/7/2004 9:34:12 PM
if member of ".FSGROUP.OU.O" then
MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS
MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT
endif

if member of ".Admins.OU.O" then
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
else
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME
endif

Also, can you post the entire script ?

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
12/7/2004 9:53:17 PM
> if member of ".FSGROUP.OU.O" then
> MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS
> MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT
> endif
>
> if member of ".Admins.OU.O" then
> MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
> else
> MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME
> endif
>

> Also, can you post the entire script ?

I vaguely recall this problem, and I can't remember the specifics, but I
*think* it had to do with the group name being case sensitive or
something
in the script being case sensitive.  Something like that.

HTH

--
Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager

0
Geoff
12/7/2004 10:39:23 PM
All drive mappings in the script below are working for both WIN98SE and NT
clients.

All drive mappings (except for K) in the script below are working on the XP
client.

I made the changes that you suggested in your earlier message and the only
thing that changed was where in the script the K mapping failed. When the
script reads "Admins" then I get the error message:

The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT
K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN] The error code was 8804.

When I changed the script to ".Admins.OU.O" then the first part of the IF
statement is skipped and the ELSE statement is performed. The error message
returned was:

The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT
K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMINIST] The error code was 8804.

Here's the complete login script...

PCCOMPATIBLE
MAP DISPLAY OFF
MAP ERRORS ON
SET PROMPT="$P$G"
DOS SET TZ="EST5EDT"

MAP ROOT INS S1:=FS\SYS:PUBLIC
;MAP ROOT N:=FS\O9PROCD01:
MAP ROOT P:=FS\VOL2:APPS

if member of "Admins" then
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
else
MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME
endif

if member of "FSGROUP" then
MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS
MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT
endif

if member of "FaxGroup" then
MAP ROOT X:=FS\VOL2:FaxGroup
endif

; This batch file will correct c:\fsuser problems
#\\fs\sys\public\check.bat

EXIT

"Edison Ortiz" <eortiz@nscsysop.com> wrote in message
> if member of ".FSGROUP.OU.O" then
> MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS
> MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT
> endif
>
> if member of ".Admins.OU.O" then
> MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN
> else
> MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME
> endif
>

> Also, can you post the entire script ?
>

> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Scott
12/8/2004 4:09:05 PM
> When I changed the script to ".Admins.OU.O" then the first part of the IF
> statement is skipped and the ELSE statement is performed.

I hope you replaced 'OU' and 'O' with your Organizational Unit name and
Organization name.

What Novell Client version are you running on this XP machine ?
Did you install with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' ?

I also recommend inserting this at the beginning of the login script:

IF "%OS_VERSION" >= "V5.00" THEN
DOS SET MAPROOTOFF = "1"
END

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
12/8/2004 4:18:41 PM
> I hope you replaced 'OU' and 'O' with your Organizational Unit name and
> Organization name.

Well, not exactly! I'm learning this stuff as I go!

While installing Office on the XP machine it seems the HDD failed. As soon
as I get a replacement I will try again.

> What Novell Client version are you running on this XP machine ?

I downloaded the latest from the Novell website. Don't recall the version
number and the PC won't boot at the moment.

> Did you install with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' ?

No, I used Custom and selected IP and IPX

> I also recommend inserting this at the beginning of the login script:
>
> IF "%OS_VERSION" >= "V5.00" THEN
> DOS SET MAPROOTOFF = "1"
> END

What does that statement do (I ask out of curiousity)?

0
Scott
12/9/2004 1:19:30 PM

Scott R wrote:

> I downloaded the latest from the Novell website. Don't recall the version
> number and the PC won't boot at the moment.

For NetWare4.x, I recommend going with
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html
then apply SP3 on it from
http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/nc483sp3.exe/

> > Did you install with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' ?
>
> No, I used Custom and selected IP and IPX

NetWare4.x only uses IPX. The Novell Client is only used for NetWare
connections. Installing IP support while connecting to a NetWare4.x
server is useless. It also create connectivity problems. Please uninstall
the Novell Client and reinstall v4.83SP2 + SP3 patch with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'

> > I also recommend inserting this at the beginning of the login script:
> >
> > IF "%OS_VERSION" >= "V5.00" THEN
> > DOS SET MAPROOTOFF = "1"
> > END
>
> What does that statement do (I ask out of curiousity)?

It disables the default maproot that it's enabled in WindowsNT/2000/XP.
You are maprooting twice since the OSes mentioned above (unlike Windows9x)
automatically are set to map root all drives.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison

Client not mapping drives XP Pro Client 4.83sp1
I am having a problem getting any novell client on an XP Pro machine mapping drives. I have tried every client from 4.83 sp1 through the current beta. I have tried re-installing the clients with every install option, but it will not map any drives for ANY client. Untill 5-28-2004 I have never had this problem with any other computer on location. This is happening to any new (new or reloaded with a fresh copy of xp). Other 25 computers on site work fine, acconts log in on other computers ok, but any new copmuter I try to log in will not map drives. Is there something real...

Windows XP client not mapping drives
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

Mapping a clients drive to other clients?
I have no idea how to do this.... is there another section in this newsgroup I should post my question? "Graham Compagnoni" <yarmak@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote in news:E7Hpb.3195$5N5.428@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com: > I have no idea how to do this.... is there another section in this > newsgroup I should post my question? Graham, assuming you are trying to do this with the Netware client, not Groupwise, try: novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp or the corresonding group for the Win9x client. Uwe -- Novell Support Connection Volunteer ...

Netware 6 and XP not remembering a drive mapping
I was wondering if someone has a clue how to fix this problem? I have Netware 6 Client 4.83 on WinXP. I have two servers with separate trees. If I log into the main server I get all the drive mappings expected. I want to also have a drive mapped to the other server. I use the client to map to the server. I can view the files and do anything with them. But when I reboot the connection does not reconnect. If I click on the drive in windows explorer than everything reconnects. It just doesn't do it automatically. How can I get winXP to remember the connection automatically? ...

Windows XP client not mapping drives #2
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

Drive mapping errors with Windows XP & 2000
I have the following drive mapping command in my login script, which executes OK for Win9x clients, but not 2000 or XP. map root q:=server_musac:cm\backup: The error message that 2000/XP clients get is: LOGIN-4.22.00-440: The operation was attempted on an invalid drive. I can manually map the drive at the XP workstation after the user has logged in, but I want it to map during login - what needs to be changed on the XP machines? Please post this in the client forum. -- Andy Thompson Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp Sounds like that drive is ...

XP SP2 Access Denied error, and drives not mapped
I have new Dell Optiplex GX280s that need to be put into the school labs. They are running XP SP2 with the 4.83 SP2 client on it. When the students are logging in the following error message pops up: LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-100:Access has been denied They still get logged in, but their shared drives do not get mapped. The following is an example of what will come up on the white screen that shows drive mapping progress as you log in. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT U:=SERVER_NAME/VOLUME1:STUDENT_DATA\USER_NAME] ...

Server 2003
Hi guys, Just wondering if Novell has released a specific client for Server 2003. On the download page I am noticing the clients for 2000/XP/98 etc... Also wondering if anyone has had any problems or issues running clients on server 2003 or can provide any guidelines. I am experiencing slow access to mapped drives and am wondering if this is related Cheers, Pls post in the client32 forum, thx. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are...

Drive not Formatted Error on Mapped Drive
Hi there I have some users getting a weird error whenever they try to save a file to a mapped drive. The error is: "The disk in drive G is not formatted, do you wish to format it now?" If they click "No" (hopefully!) then the file saves fine. I removed the users from a group that had a ZENworks DLU that gave them User on the local PC, and made them members of a group that gives them Administrator on the local PC. Both groups are only used to assign the zen policy, file rights are granted through another group, and the file rights appear to be correct anyho...

NW5.1 XP client slow mapped network drive access
When initially accessesing drives using XP client 4.9sp2 the drives take 20 seconds to show contents. things tried so far are.... MS KB article 171386 Changing the provider order to list NW client first. ?? Jfarr, Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NICI, etc.)? Is the client installed IP, IPX or both? Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP? Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image? Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual? Can you verify if its security or any other driver-based...

Windows7 single drive mapping drops for single client error c000003a
We are in the middle of a new workstation rollout. All Windows 7 64bit Professional. All using Novell client 2 sp1 for windows 7. We have one user, who after being logged in for at least a couple of hours, will lose a single drive mapping. Logging into Novell again, gives an error c000003a in the login script results window for that drive mapping entry. Logging out completely and logging back in works fine. Something else that is weird: We have two drive mappings that are relevant here: vol1: vol1:m_share When it fails: Vol1: works fine. vol1:m_share fails Explor...

MS Client for Netware cannot map drive to NW 5.1 server
I am stuck, and dont know if this right forum. I have a NW 5.1 server with sp 6, we are still using IP and IPX The MS client can map to all other 5.1 server fine, but this one particular server it cannot find it. I know MS client only uses IPX but stuck on what it could be. It is an XP pro machine with SP2, firewall turned off. Thanks For better support in this forum, I suggest installing Novell Client on that machine. We don't use the Microsoft Client so trying to duplicate your problem is very hard. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (N...

ica client and local Client drive mapping
we have ps 4.5 server running with the actual netware client. ica client drive mapping works if we login workstation only. if we activate the login to edir and run the login scripts the drive mapping of ica are not executed. netman, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all the other self support options and su...

Win XP Pro, ThinkPad A31, Client 4.83 SP3, drive mappings disappear
I have one computer, a ThinkPad A31 with an integrated NIC, running XP Pro and Novell Client 4.83 SP3, and a single 4.11 server. After login, everything seems fine, but as soon as an app is opened over the network (such as our in house database), the connections are lost. The drive letters are still visible, but when you select one, the client doesn't "see" the drive. I have tried: Updating the client (I have avoided 4.9 because it runs extremely slow on our server, another issue entirely that I'm not prepared to attack at this time.) Updating NIC driv...

Web resources about - drive map error on XP client - novell.support.netware.4x

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Dropbox dumps popular email client Mailbox and photo service Carousel
Facing growing competitive pressures, Dropbox has dumped two of its flagship products, including smart email pioneer Mailbox.

Client’s “Great Thanksgiving Listen” Campaign Featured on Google Homepage
We love when our clients are successful, and StoryCorps and their amazing Thanksgiving Listen campaign being featured on Google’s homepage certainly ...

Beyond Biglaw: Give Clients What They Need…
Tailoring your services to meet the client's needs is the only way to build a legal practice that is sustainable, impactful, and rewarding for ...

Turner Broadcasting Ad Sales Adopts Client-First Strategy
Turner Broadcasting's ad sales team is adopting a client-first strategy. The Time Warner-owned cable programmer is reorganizing its ad sales ...

Dropbox is shutting down Mailbox, the popular email client
Dropbox acquired Mailbox, the extremely popular email client, way back in 2013, and unfortunately it's now time to say goodbye. That's right, ...

Guggenheim Securities' clients - Business Insider Deutschland
The 16-year-old firm has been an adviser on 5 massive transactions in what has been one of the busiest years for mergers and acquisitions on ...

Lawyer defends cop who shot teen 16 times, says client feared for life
The lawyer for the Chicago police officer who fatally shot 17-year-old Laquan McDonald defended his client Friday, saying the officer feared ...