NDPS printers slow to open

Have an issue where W2K SP4, Client 4.83SP2/4.9 have difficulty
opening
NDPS printers.
When the Printers folder is opened, the printer status remains
at 'Opening' for 15-20 secs, before changing to 'Ready'.  No
properties
can be accessed for the printer whilst in this state.
The problem also occurs in applications, such as MS Word or
IE.  'File', 'Print' results in the same 15-20 seconds before the
dialog
box appears.

Any info appreciated.

Neil R.

0
nritchie
11/5/2003 12:50:06 AM
novell.support.ndps-neps 2772 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Further to my previous post, it appears Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is
the
issue.  We've reinstalled the OS with SP3 and the printers are
appearing
instantly.

Whilst testing with the SP4 affected workstation, we found that once
the
printers were opened successfully, they would open instantly any time
in
the following 60 seconds.  After that, the 15-20 second delay would
return
to start the process all over again.  It looks like there's some sort
of
timeout value or loop causing the problem.

Neil R

> Have an issue where W2K SP4, Client 4.83SP2/4.9 have difficulty
opening
> NDPS printers.
> When the Printers folder is opened, the printer status remains
> at 'Opening' for 15-20 secs, before changing to 'Ready'.  No
properties
> can be accessed for the printer whilst in this state.
> The problem also occurs in applications, such as MS Word or
> IE.  'File', 'Print' results in the same 15-20 seconds before the
dialog
> box appears.
>
> Any info appreciated.
>
> Neil R.

0
nritchie
11/5/2003 6:32:41 AM
These TIDs do not discuss this directly but should give you a starting
point
to try my suggestion.

1) Try moving the NDPS Print Provider to the top of the Provider list.

2) Try removing various MS ones such as IPP that may not be used.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10058894.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10058591.htm

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
11/5/2003 12:02:34 PM
Craig

Thanks for your suggestions.

No luck with the TIDs though.  Provider order was fine.  Everything is

pointing at Windows 2000 SP4.

Neil R.

0
nritchie
11/11/2003 5:24:25 AM
I am having the exact same issues. I have mixed OS, Windows 2000 SP4
with
all Microsoft security patches and Window XP with SP1. Using Novell
Client 4.83 Sp2. We have just started having the same issues after we

applied the sp and patches to our W2k workstations. But not only are
we
having issues with NDPS printing, but overall workstation performance.

Slow to open files, slow switching between applications. Does this all

point back to the patches and sp ?

Debra

> Craig
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> No luck with the TIDs though.  Provider order was fine.  Everything
is
> pointing at Windows 2000 SP4.
>
> Neil R.

0
mascardr
11/13/2003 8:48:26 PM
Debra

It appears W2K SP4 is a bit of a bottleneck.  The few users we have
who
are testing workstations with this patch are reporting similar
symptoms to
those you have mentioned.

Regards
Neil R

0
nritchie
11/13/2003 11:36:05 PM
This has been reported to Novell, but I have not had a time to
research
in-depth as of yet.

I'm preparing to test a hot fix to see if it helps, but I have not had
chance.  It would not be a bad to to try anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=824288

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
11/14/2003 1:00:50 AM
We had this issue after installing SP4 and critical patches on Win2K.
We use Ethereal to sniff the packets and discovered a DNS lookup for
the
tree taking 20 seconds.
Created a DNS record for the Tree and problem went away!

Regards
Jeremy
"Craig Wilson" <craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This has been reported to Novell, but I have not had a time to
research
> in-depth as of yet.
>
> I'm preparing to test a hot fix to see if it helps, but I have not
had a
> chance.  It would not be a bad to to try anyway.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=824288
>
> nritchie@portphillip.vic.gov.au wrote:
>
> > Debra
> >
> > It appears W2K SP4 is a bit of a bottleneck.  The few users we
have who
> > are testing workstations with this patch are reporting similar
symptoms
> > those you have mentioned.
> >
> > Regards
> > Neil R