NDPS Printer Properties SLOW to Display

We have NDPS installed and configured on 2 of our NW5.1SP7 servers in our
corporate tree.

Users at one site, who are now using NDPS printers are saying that actual
printing of jobs is very fast, yet bringing up the properties of an NDPS
printer is VERY slow.  Users at this site frequently need to change the
printer properties for trays and duplexing.

They are using Windows 2000 Pro with SP4 installed.
The printers are HP4350 with Internal JetDirects (HP JetDirect J7949E)
We are also using HP Driver Configuration Editor to pre-config the drivers
prior to adding the driver to the broker.

Users at the other site, have not complained of this issue.

The ONLY difference I can think of between the 2 sites is:

- the one where users are saying it is slow to display the printer
properties, are using a 'Host Name' rather than a 'Host Address' when we
configure the printer agents.  Could that be the issue?

We are going to test that right quick, but I was wondering if others had
ever seen this before.

Thanks.
DRL.
0
dlocke
5/18/2005 3:50:34 PM
novell.support.ndps-neps 2772 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>The ONLY difference I can think of between the 2 sites is:

- the one where users are saying it is slow to display the printer
properties, are using a 'Host Name' rather than a 'Host Address' when we
configure the printer agents.  Could that be the issue?<

Logic tells me checking the Host Name against DNS might make it slower.  Have
you checked your DNS server?

>We are going to test that right quick, but I was wondering if others had ever seen this before.<

Did you ever test it?

Suzanne Miles
Volunteer Sysop, Novell Support Connection
http://support.novell.com/forums/
0
Suzanne
5/20/2005 5:25:52 PM
Yes, we did test it.  NO CHANGE.
I agree with your logic.

I also noticed that they are using a different DNS server for that site, so
we're testing that now too.  We're setting the DNS servers to match the
site that is working proplerly (i.e. no delay).

Will post that information once I have it.  If it turns out that this does
not resolve the issue, I'm at a loss.

> >The ONLY difference I can think of between the 2 sites is:
>
> - the one where users are saying it is slow to display the printer
> properties, are using a 'Host Name' rather than a 'Host Address' when we
> configure the printer agents.  Could that be the issue?<
>
> Logic tells me checking the Host Name against DNS might make it slower.  Have
> you checked your DNS server?
>
> >We are going to test that right quick, but I was wondering if others had
ever seen this before.<

> Did you ever test it?
>

> Suzanne Miles
> Volunteer Sysop, Novell Support Connection
> http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
dlocke

Printer distibuted by NDPS has no NDPS tabs in printer properties
We have NW 5.1 SP5 with NDPS ver 3.00F. All client computer are Windows 2000 SP4 with client 4.83 SP2. All printers are distributed by ZenWorks 3.2 Workstation policys which work fine. We want to use Printer Properties Pro to set various options on new printers - namely some HP LJ5100DTN's & HP LJ4200DTN's. On some workstations this is fine as the printer has the NDPS properties tabs, on others though this is not there and thus the printer properties pro settings are not applied. I have ensured that all drivers are the same and have updated some in the RMS ...

From NDPS to iPrint... NDPS Printer Settings
I really need an answer Hi I have been working for about a year now to implant iprint for automated printer installation on our network... My project is well prepared and I'm almost done... Previously, we made a wizard made with Auto-it using rundll32 priintui.dll for those insatllations. This clever little wizard is still used to automaticaly install NDPS printers. But the maintenance of this home made application is very complex. So we decided to go with iPrint.... In the properties of a NDPS printer their was a tab that is missing in iPrint, and this tab seems to b...

NDPS and printer properties
Is there any plans to support the configuration of adding of extra traps / duplexers etc. through NPDS? I know that there is an program called "printerproperties" or similar that adds support for these to NDPS but we just don't have the cash to pay for it! Thanks, -- Matt Hudson, Principle Network and Communications Officer, Burnley Borough Council. CNA 6/5/4, CNE 5/4. I would assist this. I like PrinterPropertiesPro, but it would be nice, if the functionality is included in NDPS. Joerg iPrint allows you to customise this a bit more BUT you ...

Removing NDPS printer object
Having trouble with a NDPS printer. I can't run NDPS Manager because it hangs on initializing the printer. Can I delete the NDPS printer object and see if the NDPS manager comes up? I know that deleting the object only makes it a public access printer but will it let the manager boot up at least. Your help would be appreciated, thanks! Making the printer a public access printer makes no difference regarding the manager. he will still try to load the agent. How about restoring the ndps backup ? See this TID that descibes the steps. http://support.novell.com/cg...

No NDPS tabs in printer properties...
when logged in as a non-admin. If i log in as an admin, log out, log in as the user, they are there. Tried file/regmon but couldn't find anything. Explorer is loading ndpsprop.dll, so i think it must be some kind of regsetting which prohibits the showing of the tabs. Anyone know which one? ....and found it. As a secure user, the regkey HKLM\Novell\SessionSettings\NWLANGUAGE(SZ)=ENGLISH couldn't be created. And as we're using the dutch language version, it probably tried to load the dutch resource, which isn't available. So, simply setting this key resolved it. ...

NDPS printers slow to open
Have an issue where W2K SP4, Client 4.83SP2/4.9 have difficulty opening NDPS printers. When the Printers folder is opened, the printer status remains at 'Opening' for 15-20 secs, before changing to 'Ready'. No properties can be accessed for the printer whilst in this state. The problem also occurs in applications, such as MS Word or IE. 'File', 'Print' results in the same 15-20 seconds before the dialog box appears. Any info appreciated. Neil R. Further to my previous post, it appears Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is the issue....

Change Display name of NDPS printer?
Is it possible to set a default display name in Windows for a NDPS printer? Something like IS T451 Color instead of the eDirectory name of the printer which is P02T451cINFO? Maybe try creating an alias object of the printer agent, then install the printer using the alias. -- -Barry. [SysOp Emeritus] Answered in novell.support.iprint forum. Please don't cross-post. -- -Barry. [SysOp Emeritus] Barry, These two forums are linked now so all posts are sent to both Lance -- Barry St.John wrote: >Answered in novell.support.iprint forum. Please don&#...

NDPS printer agents slow unload
I have a NW6 SP5 3 node cluster with NDPS installed - using Novell Gateway. If I offline the NDPS resource manually or manually fail it to another node the printer agents shutdown in about 5 seconds. If I do a reset server on the node holding that resource to simulate a failure it takes a long time to unload the 66 printer agents and that node eventually abends because it didn't process the cluster leave command in a timely fashion. Any ideas on getting the printer agents to unload faster during a reset? Cleik, It appears that in the past few days you have not rece...

NDPS printers slow to install on XP workstations
Hi, I'm trying to optimise the time taken to install a dozen NDPS printers onto 50 XP PCs (with pushed drivers). At the moment, it can take about a minute for each printer to install, with the little torch waving away on the "Connecting to <printername>" window. It doesn't seem to be doing much while waiting, if you believe the Task Manager. My suspicion is that something's waiting to timeout, but I don't know what. Thinking back a few years, I'm sure I never had to wait as long while installing printers on NT machines, under similar conditions. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #4
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #2
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #3
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

NDPS printer.
Hi, I want to make a novell-printer that is printing to an IP-adress with a HP jetdirectcard in the printer. I want to be able to capture the printer in novell to a LPT-port. Is that possible, and if - then how? T.i.a. /Ulf ul@boston.dk Yes on Win95/98 clients either by going to the printers folder / details and capture or thru login script ex.. #CAPTURE L=1 Q=.NDPSPRINTER.OU.O On Winnt/2000/XP I believe you will have to create a print queue serviced by the NDPS agent and capture it. Create a queue then go to the NDPS printer agent in nwadmin properti...

Web resources about - NDPS Printer Properties SLOW to Display - novell.support.ndps-neps

Properties of water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the physical and chemical properties of pure water. For general discussion and its distribution and importance in life, ...

Facebook Surpasses All Google Properties In Brazil
Facebook overtook Orkut to became Brazil’s top social network in January, but has only overtaken all of Google’s properties in that nation just ...

Extended Profile Properties - Facebook-Entwickler
These Permissions cannot be revoked in the Login Dialog during the login flow, meaning they are non-optional for Users when logging into your ...

PortPerry Properties (@brian14mckinlay) on Twitter

Hawaii Real Estate Properties on the App Store on iTunes
Get Hawaii Real Estate Properties on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

32 properties resumed to start Kingsford Smith Drive widening project
Hundreds of residents and businesses along Kingsford Smith Drive &ndash; one of Brisbane's busiest roads &ndash; are about to feel the pressure ...

Properties pass in as 1000 auctions unfold after last week’s Melbourne Cup lull
Melbourne's declining real estate clearance rate was reflected by mixed auction results on Saturday.

One missing as bushfire threatens properties north of Lancefield, central Victoria
UPDATE: AN elderly man is missing as crews work to protect rural properties under threat from a 3000ha bushfire that continues to burn out of ...

Golden Mile a 'basketcase' as commercial properties lose value
Kings Cross will never again function as Sydney's late-night entertainment precinct, property owners say, with residential developers snapping ...

Lancefield bushfire: Home destroyed, properties under threat as bushfire burns in central Victoria
... in a fire burning out of control near Lancefield in central Victoria, the Country Fire Authority (CFA) says, warning that other homes and properties ...