NDPS-Printer as LPTx-Printer at a Workstation?

Hi all,
there is a possibility to create and distribute a NDPS-Printer that is connected on a LPT-port at a workstation?

0
Arthur
3/25/2004 3:27:16 PM
novell.support.ndps-neps 2772 articles. 0 followers. Follow

See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
3/25/2004 3:43:48 PM
Thanks for quick response Craig,
but it is not what I need.

I have a problem with ink jet printers and multiples print copies
(see my post "NDPS-Printing problem with ink jet printers" from 28.07.03).
At that time I installed the printer locally manual and captured it to a queue.
Now the number of printers and users increased and I would like to facilitate
my work and distribute the printers over NDPS.

Distributing the printers through a SnapShot doesn't work so fine.

Is there a solution for my problem or I have to install the printers manually?

> See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm
>
> > "Arthur R." wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > there is a possibility to create and distribute a NDPS-Printer that is connected on a LPT-port at a workstation?
>
> --
> Craig Wilson
> CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
> NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
>
> Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
> (I Peter 4:10)
0
Arthur
3/25/2004 4:09:28 PM
I'm not sure of your exact question, but here it goes.

If a user prints to an Ink Jet printer over the NDPS port, you will almost always have the issues you are describing
with multiple copies.  This is because the InkJet printer lacks any intelligence that is assumed by theNetwork Print
Provider in Windows that NDPS uses.

If you follow the previous TID to setup the printers as LPR printers on the workstations, you could then just print to
them over LPR instead of using NDPS.
LPR actually uses the local print processor instead of the network print processor so the print job is processed locally
instead of being sent to the printer for final processing details.

You could try capturing the NDPS printer to see if that prevents your multiple copies issue.  This may force windows to
the the local instead of network print processor.

http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html lets you capture NDPS printers.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
3/25/2004 4:33:55 PM
>  I'm not sure of your exact question, but here it goes.

Craig, can you write what did you not understand exactly? Perhaps we speak past at the topic?

> If a user prints to an Ink Jet printer over the NDPS port, you will almost always have the issues you are describing
> with multiple copies.  This is because the InkJet printer lacks any intelligence that is assumed by theNetwork Print
> Provider in Windows that NDPS uses.

I know.

> If you follow the previous TID to setup the printers as LPR printers on the workstations, you could then just print to
> them over LPR instead of using NDPS.
> LPR actually uses the local print processor instead of the network print processor so the print job is processed locally
> instead of being sent to the printer for final processing details.

That is  too inconvenient, as I understood I have to configure each workstation.

> You could try capturing the NDPS printer to see if that prevents your multiple copies issue.  This may force windows to
> the the local instead of network print processor.
>
> http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html lets you capture NDPS printers.

capture L=2 Q=test works fine too.

> > "Arthur R." wrote:
>>
> > Thanks for quick response Craig,
> > but it is not what I need.
> >
> > I have a problem with ink jet printers and multiples print copies
> > (see my post "NDPS-Printing problem with ink jet printers" from 28.07.03).
> > At that time I installed the printer locally manual and captured it to a queue.
> > Now the number of printers and users increased and I would like to facilitate
> > my work and distribute the printers over NDPS.
> >
> > Distributing the printers through a SnapShot doesn't work so fine.
> >
> > Is there a solution for my problem or I have to install the printers manually?
> >
> > > See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm

> > --
> > Craig Wilson
> > CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
> > NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
> >
> > Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
> > (I Peter 4:10)
0
Arthur
3/25/2004 5:11:52 PM
Arthur R. wrote:

>>If you follow the previous TID to setup the printers as LPR printers on the workstations, you could then just print to
>>them over LPR instead of using NDPS.
>>LPR actually uses the local print processor instead of the network print processor so the print job is processed locally
>>instead of being sent to the printer for final processing details.
>

> That is  too inconvenient, as I understood I have to configure each workstation.

Not necessarily - have a look at this:

RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /?

This, combined with the power of zenworks, should allow you to automate
printer distribution (including drivers) without using ndps. But as even
this requires much more work than ndps I wouldn't go that way, unless
the problem with multiple print is critical for your environment.

Good luck!

Deyan
0
Deyan
3/25/2004 8:17:38 PM
The DOSPrint Tool should solve your problems then.
It allows you to issue "capture" commands for NDPS printers.

> > http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html lets you capture NDPS printers.
>
> capture L=2 Q=test works fine too.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
3/25/2004 8:51:57 PM
> The DOSPrint Tool should solve your problems then.
> It allows you to issue "capture" commands for NDPS printers.

I know that dosprint can capture the printout, but to "capture" to a NDPS
printer I need at first a local printer (as I understood the function mode
of dosprint).

I try to explain my problem simplified:
I have a HP DJ1120C with a HP print server.
And I have created a NDPS printer for this printer.
I can print out to this printer over NDPS, but just one copy from each
document.
As workaround I created a queue (the queue is served by NDPS printer) and
on the workstation a created a local printer on LPT2. With the
command "capture" in the loginscript I can capture the local printer to a
queue.
The problem is, that I have now over 50 workstations on which I must
install 3 local printers in each case.

I have tried to distribute the printers as SnapShot but those are not
always distributed and do not function so correctly.

> > > http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html lets you capture NDPS printers.
> >
> > capture L=2 Q=test works fine too.
>
> --
> Craig Wilson
> CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
> NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
>
> Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
> (I Peter 4:10)

0
nospam
3/25/2004 9:37:29 PM
Perhaps RPM is what you are looking for to automatically push the NDPS printers
to the workstations.  (No Need for Qs with DOSPrint )

http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/ndps_enu/data/h26ruuv3.html#h26ruuv3

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
3/25/2004 9:45:45 PM
> Arthur R. wrote:
>
> >>If you follow the previous TID to setup the printers as LPR printers
on the workstations, you could then just print to
> >>them over LPR instead of using NDPS.
> >>LPR actually uses the local print processor instead of the network
print processor so the print job is processed locally
> >>instead of being sent to the printer for final processing details.
> >

> > That is  too inconvenient, as I understood I have to configure each
workstation.

> Not necessarily - have a look at this:
>
> RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /?
>
> This, combined with the power of zenworks, should allow you to automate
> printer distribution (including drivers) without using ndps. But as even
> this requires much more work than ndps I wouldn't go that way, unless
> the problem with multiple print is critical for your environment.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Deyan

Thanks,
but I get an error:
Error in PRINTUI.DLL
The following entry is missing: PRINTUIEntry

I have WinXP SP1 on my workstation.

0
nospam
3/25/2004 9:56:28 PM
You need to preserve case - try "PrintUIEntry" instead of "PRINTUIEntry"

Deyan

nospam@nospam.de wrote:

> Thanks,
> but I get an error:
> Error in PRINTUI.DLL
> The following entry is missing: PRINTUIEntry
>
> I have WinXP SP1 on my workstation.

0
Deyan
3/25/2004 11:10:08 PM
Sorry Craig, you misunderstood me again.
I see that it will not function with NDPS and LPTx.
I invest a little time and install the printers manually (the users cannot wait).
And then I will try what Deyan suggested.

> Perhaps RPM is what you are looking for to automatically push the NDPS printers
> to the workstations.  (No Need for Qs with DOSPrint )
>
>  http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/ndps_enu/data/h26ruuv3.html#h26ruuv3
0
Arthur

Printer distibuted by NDPS has no NDPS tabs in printer properties
We have NW 5.1 SP5 with NDPS ver 3.00F. All client computer are Windows 2000 SP4 with client 4.83 SP2. All printers are distributed by ZenWorks 3.2 Workstation policys which work fine. We want to use Printer Properties Pro to set various options on new printers - namely some HP LJ5100DTN's & HP LJ4200DTN's. On some workstations this is fine as the printer has the NDPS properties tabs, on others though this is not there and thus the printer properties pro settings are not applied. I have ensured that all drivers are the same and have updated some in the RMS ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

Printers Printers Printers!!
Hi All, I have two Printers installed on win2k with default set. However, I another user logs in, default changes......can I force the default printer set?? I'm also using DLU - Volitile and Zen 4. Can I force the default for that particular room each time? Examples would be of great assistance...;-) Many thanks. Using NWadmin, do a properties on the user, group, or container, and go to the NDPS Remote printer button, highlight the printer then click set as default. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #3
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #4
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #2
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

NDPS Printers and workstations
Servers: nw 5.1, 6.0, 6.5 Clients: Win 98, 2000, XP edir 8.7.3.3, Zen4 I'm using NDPS printers for our schools. Currently when we add a new printer, we have to go around to each desktop and add the printer and driver. Is there a way to just "associate" the printer w/ the users in eDir and when the user logs on, it will connect the printer and install the drivers? If there is a TID, could you point me to it. Thanks. In NDPS there is the RPM(Remote Printer Management) that allows you to associate the printer with a container , group or user and push the pr...

NDPS Printers to workstations
I am having trouble depploying printers to workstations using RPM. I have assigned printers to a container with imported workstations but the printers do not install. For users and user groups/containers it works fine , but for workstations it does not. I need to be able to distribute printers to workstations, that way I can restrict which workstations print to what printers. Is this possible? Will iPrint give me a solution? So far I have attempted to create and associate a Novell iPrint Policy that is associated to a workstation only container, but with no luck. Although it ha...

ndps printer to workstation
How to associate a ndps printer to a group of workstations? Novell 6.5, zfd4 Pavle, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in both the "free product support" and "paid product support" drop down boxe...

NDPS Printers to workstations
I need to deploy printers to imported workstations. I am having trouble finding a successful way of accomplishing this through RPM. I have assigned printers to a container which contains nothing but workstations, but no luck. Works fine for users, groups, or even containers with users or groups. My users move around to different locations all day long. I need to distribute NDPS printers to workstations that way I can restrict what workstations print to what printers. Can anyone help me out here. Thanks in advance. carlossanchez2@cox.net wrote: > I need to deploy printers t...

the Printer error (NDPS Printer Error)
hello I got some problems of installing Printer. the enviornment is like below. - Client 4.83 Sp1 - NetWare 5.1 Sp4 - ZenWorks 3.2 Sp1 - Printer : Hp LaserJet 6P Hp DeskJet 5600 - OS : Windows2000 WorksStation Now, the state of Tcp/Ip Print Server Service is 'Start' and 'Auto', and Novell Distributed Print Service is On. I intended to install the remote print on the Windows2000 WorkStation. After installing, I expected the message 'idle'. However, it`s occured 'idle>error printing or print not connected'. But, the printe...

how to move printers from a dead NDPS printer
Hello, we're having some problems with one of our NetWare 6.0 sp5 servers running NDPS. We will be doing some work on it, but before we can begin, we need to have a plan for the printers, should the server never come back up. Has anyone had experience with or can anyone point me to a TID that covers this please? I looked on Novell's web site, but couldn't find anything. Thanks, Mari In theory, you should be able to load the NDPS Manager on a different server. The NDPS Manager database is regularly backed up to the NDS, and when loading the NDPS Manager on a...

From NDPS to iPrint... NDPS Printer Settings
I really need an answer Hi I have been working for about a year now to implant iprint for automated printer installation on our network... My project is well prepared and I'm almost done... Previously, we made a wizard made with Auto-it using rundll32 priintui.dll for those insatllations. This clever little wizard is still used to automaticaly install NDPS printers. But the maintenance of this home made application is very complex. So we decided to go with iPrint.... In the properties of a NDPS printer their was a tab that is missing in iPrint, and this tab seems to b...

IPX printer to IP printers NDPS
We have our printers running IPX And they are also assigned IP address - The IP address is running of HP Printer server boxes - We want to move all our printer of IPX - to Pure IP still using the HP Print server boxes - To use the IP for multiple printers What steps do we need to take to make this happen? Thanks we run NW 5.2 SP6 Nagata, > We have our printers running IPX I assume that you are using legacy print queues in NDS that are polled by the print servers. The print servers then sends the print job to the printer. What you need to do is ...

Web resources about - NDPS-Printer as LPTx-Printer at a Workstation? - novell.support.ndps-neps