Dual printer WinXP icons and/or NDPS objects pointing to the same printer

Hello,
 I have a unique situation where a user with WinXP needs to have two
printer icons on their PC because one printer driver works better for
one
application, and another printer driver works best for other
applications.  Rather than have the user change the driver each time
for a
single printer icon in WinXP, it would be easier for my users to have
two
printer icons in WinXP for the same printer, and they just change the

default depending on what application they are using.  I know in Win98
you
can have two printer icons, and one will say (copy 2) on the end of
the
printer icon title.  As you know, NDPS controls the printer icon title

based on the name and location of the printer in the NDS tree, but
WinXP
doesn't seem to create a (copy 2) like Windows 98 would.  When I
create
another printer icon in WinXP and point to the same NDPS printer
object,
when it is all finished, a second icon isn't created, in fact nothing

seems to have happened.  I don't know if it replaced the same existing

titled object, or just ignored the request because of the duplicate
printer icon request.  My question is this:  Can you have two printer

icons pointing to the same NDPS printer in WinXP, or alternately can
you
create two NDPS printer objects with different object names with the
same
or different NDPS agent and/or IP address?  I use HP printers with
internal and external Jet Direct network devices.  I use IP only for
communication between the NDPS Manager, Broker, Agents, and HP Jet
Direct.
Thanks in Advance,
Scott

0
scottb
5/1/2003 3:52:26 PM
novell.support.ndps-neps 2772 articles. 0 followers. Follow

To scottb@clackamas.edu
> or alternately can you
> create two NDPS printer objects with different object names with the
same
> or different NDPS agent and/or IP address?

This one

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]}}
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

0
Dave
5/1/2003 7:05:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Dave, but after posting my original
question,
I found this TID:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2945809.htm
Doesn't that TID say that you cannot run two NDPS print objects to the

same printer, as the results will be unpredicable?
Thanks,
Scott

> To scottb@clackamas.edu
> > or alternately can you
> > create two NDPS printer objects with different object names with
the
same
> > or different NDPS agent and/or IP address?
> >

> This one
>
> Cheers Dave
>
> --
>
> Dave Parkes [NSCS]}}
> Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

0
scottb
5/1/2003 8:38:03 PM
I dont think this any longer true if it ever was.
Many people actually create multiple Agents for a single printer.

scottb@clackamas.edu wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, Dave, but after posting my original
question,
> I found this TID:
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2945809.htm
> Doesn't that TID say that you cannot run two NDPS print objects to
the
> same printer, as the results will be unpredicable?
> Thanks,
> Scott
>
> > To scottb@clackamas.edu
> > > or alternately can you
> > > create two NDPS printer objects with different object names with
the
> same
> > > or different NDPS agent and/or IP address?
> > >

> > This one
> >
> > Cheers Dave
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Parkes [NSCS]}}
> > Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
5/2/2003 2:29:36 AM
Note: You can setup 2 different printers to print to the same NDPS
Print Agent.

For the 2nd printer, simply install the Printer as a Local Printer to
LPT1.
Then go into the properties of the Printer and change the Port to the
NDPS
Printer Port.
Note: The NDPS Printer must be installed before you can change the
port from
LPT1.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig

Printer distibuted by NDPS has no NDPS tabs in printer properties
We have NW 5.1 SP5 with NDPS ver 3.00F. All client computer are Windows 2000 SP4 with client 4.83 SP2. All printers are distributed by ZenWorks 3.2 Workstation policys which work fine. We want to use Printer Properties Pro to set various options on new printers - namely some HP LJ5100DTN's & HP LJ4200DTN's. On some workstations this is fine as the printer has the NDPS properties tabs, on others though this is not there and thus the printer properties pro settings are not applied. I have ensured that all drivers are the same and have updated some in the RMS ...

Removing NDPS printer object
Having trouble with a NDPS printer. I can't run NDPS Manager because it hangs on initializing the printer. Can I delete the NDPS printer object and see if the NDPS manager comes up? I know that deleting the object only makes it a public access printer but will it let the manager boot up at least. Your help would be appreciated, thanks! Making the printer a public access printer makes no difference regarding the manager. he will still try to load the agent. How about restoring the ndps backup ? See this TID that descibes the steps. http://support.novell.com/cg...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

Can you have Iprint on one server and your NDPS printer objects on another printer
Here is my dilemma. I have created my NDPS printer objects on a NW 5.1 server but I want to now install Iprint and it looks like it works best on a NW 6 server. We have a NW 6 server and I would like to install Iprint on that one and connect to my NDPS printer objects on my NW 5.1 server so I do not have to recreate them. Can this be done or am I better off recreating the printer objects? Matt Markley I've been unsuccessful in getting iPrint to work when the NDPS manager is on another server. So what I did was create another NDPS manager/broker on my iPrint server...

Can you have Iprint on one server and your NDPS printer objects on another printer
Here is my dilemma. I have created my NDPS printer objects on a NW 5.1 server but I want to now install Iprint and it looks like it works best on a NW 6 server. We have a NW 6 server and I would like to install Iprint on that one and connect to my NDPS printer objects on my NW 5.1 server so I do not have to recreate them. Can this be done or am I better off recreating the the printer objects? Matt Markley Check this out: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10085365.htm -- -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp] ...

Printers Printers Printers!!
Hi All, I have two Printers installed on win2k with default set. However, I another user logs in, default changes......can I force the default printer set?? I'm also using DLU - Volitile and Zen 4. Can I force the default for that particular room each time? Examples would be of great assistance...;-) Many thanks. Using NWadmin, do a properties on the user, group, or container, and go to the NDPS Remote printer button, highlight the printer then click set as default. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #4
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #2
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #3
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

IPX printer to IP printers NDPS
We have our printers running IPX And they are also assigned IP address - The IP address is running of HP Printer server boxes - We want to move all our printer of IPX - to Pure IP still using the HP Print server boxes - To use the IP for multiple printers What steps do we need to take to make this happen? Thanks we run NW 5.2 SP6 Nagata, > We have our printers running IPX I assume that you are using legacy print queues in NDS that are polled by the print servers. The print servers then sends the print job to the printer. What you need to do is ...

how to move printers from a dead NDPS printer
Hello, we're having some problems with one of our NetWare 6.0 sp5 servers running NDPS. We will be doing some work on it, but before we can begin, we need to have a plan for the printers, should the server never come back up. Has anyone had experience with or can anyone point me to a TID that covers this please? I looked on Novell's web site, but couldn't find anything. Thanks, Mari In theory, you should be able to load the NDPS Manager on a different server. The NDPS Manager database is regularly backed up to the NDS, and when loading the NDPS Manager on a...

From NDPS to iPrint... NDPS Printer Settings
I really need an answer Hi I have been working for about a year now to implant iprint for automated printer installation on our network... My project is well prepared and I'm almost done... Previously, we made a wizard made with Auto-it using rundll32 priintui.dll for those insatllations. This clever little wizard is still used to automaticaly install NDPS printers. But the maintenance of this home made application is very complex. So we decided to go with iPrint.... In the properties of a NDPS printer their was a tab that is missing in iPrint, and this tab seems to b...

NDPS-Printer as LPTx-Printer at a Workstation?
Hi all, there is a possibility to create and distribute a NDPS-Printer that is connected on a LPT-port at a workstation? See http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm "Arthur R." wrote: > Hi all, > there is a possibility to create and distribute a NDPS-Printer that is connected on a LPT-port at a workstation? -- Craig Wilson CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/) Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com (I Peter 4:10) Thanks for quick response Craig, but it is not what I need. I have a proble...

the Printer error (NDPS Printer Error)
hello I got some problems of installing Printer. the enviornment is like below. - Client 4.83 Sp1 - NetWare 5.1 Sp4 - ZenWorks 3.2 Sp1 - Printer : Hp LaserJet 6P Hp DeskJet 5600 - OS : Windows2000 WorksStation Now, the state of Tcp/Ip Print Server Service is 'Start' and 'Auto', and Novell Distributed Print Service is On. I intended to install the remote print on the Windows2000 WorkStation. After installing, I expected the message 'idle'. However, it`s occured 'idle>error printing or print not connected'. But, the printe...

Web resources about - Dual printer WinXP icons and/or NDPS objects pointing to the same printer - novell.support.ndps-neps

Pointing device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about computer pointing devices. For pointing machine , a measuring tool used by sculptors to copy sculpture, see Pointing machine ...

Toddler - a free and fun animal pointing book for toddlers,kids and babies on the App Store on iTunes ...
Get Toddler - a free and fun animal pointing book for toddlers,kids and babies on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Business Baby Pointing - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
A cute baby boy is dressed in smart business clothes and is with his laptop ready for work. Studio shot Isolated on white. As always, these images ...

John Underkoffler: Pointing to the future of UI - YouTube
http://www.ted.com Minority Report science adviser and inventor John Underkoffler demos g-speak the real-life version of the film's eye-popping, ...

Ferguson police officer resigns after pointing assault rifle at protesters
Lieutenant Ray Albers resigned from the St Ann police department on Thursday, just over a week after he was identified as the officer caught ...

Immigration's young talent drowning in a sea of finger-pointing
When divvying out the loot of political office, the immigration portfolio is known widely as the ''shit sandwich''.

Lawmakers, SAP pointing fingers over failed payroll project
The failure of a massive payroll project involving SAP software has California lawmakers, state officials and the vendor pointing fingers of ...

Pointing the light fantastic
Lasers have their uses, and misuses. Ian Austen reports on a dazzling fad. - The Sydney Morning Herald

Just pointing out the facts: Joe Hockey stands by comments on poor people and cars
... he is "sorry" if his comments that increasing the petrol tax will not hurt the poor as much sound callous, but stresses that he is just pointing ...

Finger-pointing as Libs weigh how the west was lost
A factional brawl has erupted over the Liberal Party's failure to win over western Sydney.