can ping printer from server, but ndps manager says it can not??

--____XHEXJLIMGCZBBPKNTQLU____

Just added an hp officejet 7300 with built-in jetdirect.

Every aspect of setting up the printer goes smoothly, but the ndpsm =
manager says it can not ping it, status shows "Error Printing", status =
details shows "LPR Communication Failed".

I can ping the printer from the server.  I can browse to the jetdirect =
interface.

Why is ndps manager unable to communicate?

Server is running nw65sp2