Using hostname & dynamic IP fails after ptr gets new ip address

Here is my setup:
nw6.5sp2 with nw dynamic dhcp and auto update DNS.
I've setup my printer to receive a dynamic ip address.
I've referenced my printer in iPrint by the host.domain name

Here is my problem:
The printer was created and functions perfectly, until I shut the printer
off and on.  The printer receives a new ip address from dhcp and dns is
updated with the changed address.
The print manager on the server fails to reconnect the agent to the
printer with the following error:
LPR Communication Failed; Printer Not Connected
The gateway could not resolve the hostname  host.domain.  The hostname
may be incorrect or there may be a problem with the sys:etc\hosts file or
the sys:etc\resolv.cfg file.

Do I have a problem with my servers dns resolution?
 or
 does ndps not use dns to resolve hosts?
or
 something I am unaware of?

Thanks for any assistance.
0
scott_schunk
11/12/2004 10:25:48 PM
novell.support.iprint 7215 articles. 0 followers. Follow

After you power-cycle the printer, what happens if you try and ping the
printer BY NAME from your desktop?  or, more importantly, the server?
I guess I don't really understand how Netware handles DNS queries, but as
far as Windows goes, after it gets a name resolved to an IP address, it
caches that information for a certain time.  What happens then, if you talk
to a device, change its IP address, and try to talk to it again, your
computer will keep trying to talk to the OLD IP Address.  There are ways
around this, including clearing your PC's cache of resolved names ('ipconfig
/flushdns' and 'nbtstat -RR').
If you reboot your server after the printer gets a new IP Address, is the
server able to talk to the printer by name (does it resolve the correct IP
Address)?
If Netware is caching the IP address the same as windows does, that would
cause you problems trying to 'see' the new address.
So - what happens when you ping the NAME of the printer from the server?
Does it try to talk to the OLD IP Address?

Matt

<scott_schunk@mow.uscourts.gov> wrote in message
> Here is my setup:
> nw6.5sp2 with nw dynamic dhcp and auto update DNS.
> I've setup my printer to receive a dynamic ip address.
> I've referenced my printer in iPrint by the host.domain name
>
> Here is my problem:
> The printer was created and functions perfectly, until I shut the printer
> off and on.  The printer receives a new ip address from dhcp and dns is
> updated with the changed address.
> The print manager on the server fails to reconnect the agent to the
> printer with the following error:
> LPR Communication Failed; Printer Not Connected
> The gateway could not resolve the hostname  host.domain.  The hostname
> may be incorrect or there may be a problem with the sys:etc\hosts file or
> the sys:etc\resolv.cfg file.
>
> Do I have a problem with my servers dns resolution?
> or
> does ndps not use dns to resolve hosts?
> or
> something I am unaware of?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

0
Matt

How can I get IP Address & NetCard Address Using PowerBuilder?
Hello,All: How can I get IP Address and NetCard Address Using PowerBuilder? Please give me a hand??Thanks for your help... Jim look at : http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/cypr115/ Jean-Paul "Jim" <jim@turnkey.com.tw> wrote in message news:25f#ZzO1$GA.203@forums.sybase.com... > Hello,All: > How can I get IP Address and NetCard Address Using PowerBuilder? > Please give me a hand??Thanks for your help... > > Jim > > Is it Arguments??? I can't understand Arguments... Would anyone tell me!!Thanks! jpf <jpf@basc....

Get hostname failed for IP Address
Just recently i got this error message. I already deletes all the rules and recreate it. Still the same.This error might consume my memory because after two days it grows from 80% to 70%(Cache buffer). I read and follows lots of Craig tips but could not found regarding this one.Please someone assist me. Check the Effective Rules button in the rules menu. Perhaps you have a rule being inherited from above. Run a DSREPAIR as well. Generally this is a cosmetic error stating that a DNS lookup of some address / URL in an access rule failed. Should have no effect on memory...

Get the client hostname or ip address using asp.net
Hi, I want to get the client hostname or ip address using asp.net. I have tried the following methods... Request.UserHostName - returns proxy ip addressRequest.UserHostAddress - returns proxy ip addressRequest.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"] - returns proxy ip addressRequest.ServerVariables["HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"] - returns empty. I could not get the actual ip address of the client machine. Can any one help...how to get the actual client ip address? Thanks in advance. Ram   try this:  Request.Params["REMOTE_ADDR"]http://www...

How to get IP address using Email Address
Hi, I want to know that how can i get actual IP address of a person who is using the email address like gmail, yahoo, msn, etc. If user enter the email address of the any person, it should return the actual IP Address of that person computer which is he connect. Is this possible? Any reference will be apperciated. Guide me............  This is not possible because email address is not related with IP address, Domain names are Mohamed Abb@s------------------------Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post(s) which helps you ! Threre's no correlation between IP...

How to get MAC address & IP address?
Dear all how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? thanks! Michael On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:42:51 +0800, "Michael" <michaell@hknet.com> wrote: >Dear all > > how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? > thanks! > >Michael > For IP address see http://eric.aling.tripod.com/PB/tips/pbtip14.htm -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com Close to NJ? Join the NJ Sybase Tools User Group http://www.njpbug.org/njpbug/join/join.asp On Wed, ...

Get Hostname Failed For IP Address:xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
Can somone please tell me why all of a sudden I am getting this message continuously on my console screen. Thx Do you have that IP address/URL in an access rule? Craig Johnson Novell Support Connection SysOp *** For a current patch list, tips, handy files, books and consulting services for BorderManager, go to http://nscsysop.hypermart.net *** Yep I did. I took it out and it works fine. Thx "Craig Johnson" <craigsj@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:VA.000027b2.034e1f4c@athlon3... > Do you have that IP address/URL in an access rule?...

Changing to NAT using Private IP address What to do with OLd IP addresses
I have a client that is setting up NAT and using private addresses for the internal network. If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the old addresses or is there a way to specify which set of Ip addresses for DHCP to hand out? Also, is there a way to just edit the present addresses? We looked and we are not able to see a way to edit the addreses. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. PLW In article <KVn8c.8445$jb5.1118@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > If we add new IP addresses to DCHP, do we delete the > old addresses or is there a wa...

How to force MTA to use cluster ip address rather than physical ip address
Hi, Is there a way to force the MTA to use the virtual ip address for outbound connection. We run GW 6.5 SP2 in cluster with 6 nodes. We want to add an external Domain who have to go through a firewall. We added a rule to let the virtual ip address of the MTA to pass but we see that the MTA are using the physical ip address of the server so if the resource migrate, MTA will use an other address and my rule will not work anymore until I add the 6 physical ip address of each node, thing I don't want to do. Regards, Eric Bellavance Ministere des Finances It should...

How to get Hostname, IP address, port number, DB name, instance name using Query
As we know, normally we connect to a sybase server by just identifying the node name and interfaces file and necessary properties, but currently I want to get Host-name, IP address, port number, DB name, instance name of connected server out after connection created. Does any one how to use query to do so? Does sybase provide such functionality? Seems oracle can do so... If there is no query, does sybase provides any API which can implement this? Thanks! instance name: select @@servername [assumes the DBA has defined a local entry in syservers] db name: select db_name() [can...

IP Addressing question
It seems to me that this is an elementary TCP-IP networking question. I must have skipped class for a baseball game that day <g>. I have two networks connected via VPN (watchguard) at two offices: Pittsburgh: 192.168.1.0/24 Cleveland: 192.168.2.0/24 We can communicate over the tunnel between the two networks without problem. However, what I want to do now is to set up a new computer for the branch (2.x) network, but I want to do it *here* in the Pittsburgh network (1.x). Unfortunately, it doesn't work. If I give the server an IP addres...

Getting NIC to get a dynamic IP address from Cable Modem
Does anyone know how to get my NW 6 server to get a dynamic IP address from a cable/DSL modem? Thanks, Kevin DHCPCLNT name=board_name Add /INETCFG to the end of that to have DHCPCLNT update your INETCFG information for you. After it does that, you'll probably need to manually enable Dynamic NAT on the interface. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

How to get private ip address (intranet IP)
I found some webs at thailand taht can trace both the internet ip and the private ip address, (if user using intranet), of user who are interacting with web site. For Asp.NET . Are there some way to get a private ip address of user ? The link to web site that can traces private ip address http://www.pantip.com/tech/developer/topic/DN1701518/DN1701518.html ...

Get IP Address from Hostname
Dear all how can I get with Delphi XE2 the IP Address from a Hostname? Herbert Herbert wrote: > how can I get with Delphi XE2 the IP Address from a Hostname? Indy's TIdStack class has HostByName() and ResolveHost() methods for that purpose, eg: {code:delphi} uses ..., IdStack; // if you have any Indy components already instantiated, you can omit // the calls to IncUsage() and DecUsage() as the component(s) handle // that internally... TIdStack.IncUsage; try IP := GStack.ResolveHost('hostname'); // or: IP := GStack.HostByName('hostname...

Mig tool fails with "Failed to get Target IP Address"
Greetings! I am testing a NW 6.5 to OES on Linux migration. I have everything configured like the docs tell me to, I start the wizard from the Linux box, and the configure the source server with no problems. When I try to set the target server (the target is the local box to the mig tool) I get an authentication error which points me to the migration.log file. That file has the following: -2009-05-20 14:49:00,239 INFO - Migration Framework:Target Server Authentication:Retrying Connection..... 2009-05-20 14:49:00,240 INFO - Migration Framework:TargetServer Authentication:A...

Web resources about - Using hostname & dynamic IP fails after ptr gets new ip address - novell.support.iprint

Hostname - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A hostname is a label that is assigned to a device connected to a computer network and that is used to identify the device in various forms of ...

Hostname.com
Hostname.com

Setting up the hostname in Ubuntu
Most people recommend setting up the hostname on a Linux box so that: 1) running ' hostname ' returns the short name (i.e. myhost) 2) running ...

Spotting Web threats in the confusion of short-lived hostnames
Researchers have found that the vast number hostnames constantly changing on the Web for legitimate purposes creates a cover for cybercriminals ...

Google Analytics Hostname Report – Great for Troubleshooting
The Google Analytics Hostname Report has many benefits, but is often underused as it is slightly hidden away under Technology and Network report. ...

Pro tip: How to change HostNames via Terminal
Jesus Vigo reviews the Terminal commands used to make changes to a Mac's host names.

Back To My Mac hostnames with dots in your username
…where computer is the hostname and username is your MobileMe username (before the “@”). But if your hostname or username contains a dot or ...

WHM Client for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about WHM Client for iPad on the App Store. Download WHM Client for iPad ...

Open Directory - Computers: Internet: Protocols: DNS: DNS Providers: Dynamic DNS
about dmoz - help Top : Computers : Internet : Protocols : DNS : DNS Providers : Dynamic DNS Dynamic DNS Service Providers create static hostnames ...

World Wide Web - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
commonly known as the Web , or the "Information Superhighway"), is a system of interlinked hypertext documents accessed via the Internet . With ...