Security Permissions for Printer on Windows XP and Windows 7

Hello,

We are a big company with a lot of Iprint Netware servers at every
location. We are at the testing phase where we will be creating the new
OES Iprint server for every location running on SUSE LINUX.
I am almost done with the Iprint configuration at every location.
When I install the driver from IPP page of the server, installation
goes great for Win 7 64 bit but when I go to Devices and Printers -
Properties of the Printer - Security Tab.
I see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users user
group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all of
them have full access on the Printer which should not be the case.
As per the Microsoft document when we install any Printer it should
have the below mentioned permissions.
Everyone user group should only be able to Print
Creator Owner should only be able to manage there documents.
Power users should be able to Print, Manage Printer and Manage
Documents.
Administators should be able to Print, Manager Printer and Manage
Documents.

The above security is the default securites set by Microsoft when we
install any Printer on the workstation.

I did some testing as we still have Netware Iprint servers in the
environment. I installed the driver from Netware IPP page and I see all
the default printer security settings in the Printer - Security tab
where Everyone is only able to Print and CREATOR OWNER is only able to
manage Documents and Administrators and Power users have full access on
the Printer.

We have thousands of users who will be very soon using the Iprint Suse
linux servers and will be installing the Printer from IPP page. We
cannot modify this settings manually on each and every user workstations
as there should be a way to fix this either from the server side or any
tool?

Installing the driver from Netware IPP page comes up with all the
default Printer security settings but Installing the driver from OES
suse linux IPP page does not come up with proper Printer security
settings which makes me think that there is something wrong either from
the server side or from the IPRINT application itself.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the new iprint
client on Win xp and Win 7 Workstations.
Tried with new test Win 7 machines with no prior Network Printer
installations, still the same issue.

Has anyone came accross this issue before?
is this a bug with Iprint?

Novell,
All thoughts are welcomed.

Regards,
Sanjay K.

--
skishnani

skishnani
7/13/2011 7:06:03 AM
novell.support.iprint 7215 articles. 0 followers. Follow

skishnani;2121002 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are a big company with a lot of Iprint Netware servers at every
> location. We are at the testing phase where we will be creating the new
> OES Iprint server for every location running on SUSE LINUX.
> I am almost done with the Iprint configuration at every location.
> When I install the driver from IPP page of the server, installation
> goes great for Win 7 64 bit but when I go to Devices and Printers -
> Properties of the Printer - Security Tab.
> I see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users user
> group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all of
> them have full access on the Printer which should not be the case.
> As per the Microsoft document when we install any Printer it should
> have the below mentioned permissions.
> Everyone user group should only be able to Print
> Creator Owner should only be able to manage there documents.
> Power users should be able to Print, Manage Printer and Manage
> Documents.
> Administators should be able to Print, Manager Printer and Manage
> Documents.
>
> The above security is the default securites set by Microsoft when we
> install any Printer on the workstation.
>
> I did some testing as we still have Netware Iprint servers in the
> environment. I installed the driver from Netware IPP page and I see all
> the default printer security settings in the Printer - Security tab
> where Everyone is only able to Print and CREATOR OWNER is only able to
> manage Documents and Administrators and Power users have full access on
> the Printer.
>
> We have thousands of users who will be very soon using the Iprint Suse
> linux servers and will be installing the Printer from IPP page. We
> cannot modify this settings manually on each and every user workstations
> as there should be a way to fix this either from the server side or any
> tool?
>
> Installing the driver from Netware IPP page comes up with all the
> default Printer security settings but Installing the driver from OES
> suse linux IPP page does not come up with proper Printer security
> settings which makes me think that there is something wrong either from
> the server side or from the IPRINT application itself.
>
> I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the new iprint
> client on Win xp and Win 7 Workstations.
> Tried with new test Win 7 machines with no prior Network Printer
> installations, still the same issue.
>
> Has anyone came accross this issue before?
> is this a bug with Iprint?
>
> Novell,
> All thoughts are welcomed.
>
> Regards,
> Sanjay K.

Take a look at AllowUserPrinters section in
/var/opt/novell/iprint/htdocs/iprint.ini

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128

0
thsundel
7/13/2011 12:36:02 PM
Hi Thomas,

I changed AllowUserPrinters=1 in iprint.ini and I restarted the Iprint
services but that did not changed the security policies of the printer.
As far as I can understand that setting is only responsible for
Add/Delete/Modify the printer but security permissions still remains the
same.
I still see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users
user group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all
of them have full access on the Printer which should not be the case.
We don't want everyone to Manage documents and manage printer, we don't
want 'creator owner' group to have full rights on the Printer as per the
company policies.
Everyone user group should only be able to Print
Creator Owner should only be able to manage there documents.
Power users should be able to Print, Manage Printer and Manage
Documents.
Administators should be able to Print, Manager Printer and Manage
Documents.

Is there any other settings that needs to be changed?

Thanks for all your help !!

Regards,
Sanjay K.

--
skishnani
skishnani's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26294
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=441802

0
skishnani
7/18/2011 8:06:01 AM
skishnani;2121956 Wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I changed AllowUserPrinters=1 in iprint.ini and I restarted the Iprint
> services but that did not changed the security policies of the printer.
> As far as I can understand that setting is only responsible for
> Add/Delete/Modify the printer but security permissions still remains the
> same.
> I still see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users
> user group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all
> of them have full access on the Printer which should not be the case.
> We don't want everyone to Manage documents and manage printer, we don't
> want 'creator owner' group to have full rights on the Printer as per the
> company policies.
> Everyone user group should only be able to Print
> Creator Owner should only be able to manage there documents.
> Power users should be able to Print, Manage Printer and Manage
> Documents.
> Administators should be able to Print, Manager Printer and Manage
> Documents.
>
> Is there any other settings that needs to be changed?
>
> Thanks for all your help !!
>
> Regards,
> Sanjay K.

Did you reinstall the printer on the workstation after changing that
setting?

We have AllowUserPrinters=3 and on the security page of a printer
installed on a W7 device I can see that "Everyone" only is allowed to
Print.

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=441802

0
thsundel
7/18/2011 12:36:02 PM
Yes I reinstalled the Printer on W7 and XP machine serveral times and
still the same issue.
I tried AllowUserPrinters=1 and then 3 and restarted, uninstalled the
Printer and reinstalled and still the same issue.
I observed one more weird thing. When I install the Printer in XP
machine I only see EVERYONE group with all the rights, CREATOR OWNER and
POWER USER group is missing.
Whereas when I install the Printer on Win7 machine, I can see all
groups but every group has all the rights to manage the Printer which is
wrong.

--
skishnani
skishnani's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26294
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=441802

0
skishnani

Windows XP without the iPrint client and secure iPrint printers
Netware OES, secure iPrint, Windows XP SP2 I was interested to see how Windows XP handles printing to secure iPrint printers without the iPrint client installed. This might be a useful option for users that do not like installing any 3rd party clients on their PC's. I followed this route - Goto Printers/Faxes section and select 'add a printer' In the wizard select Network printer. Then select the URL box titled 'Connect to a printer on the Internet...' and type in the URL as follows - https://[iprint server ipaddress]:443/ipps/[printer name] This i...

Proposal Round 2: Drop active support of Windows 2000, Windows XP (no service pack) and Windows XP SP1
See the previous thread for the story so far: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/67ddcaa5c897a58b# What seems to be a reasonable step is to declare that Windows XP SP2 is the lowest supported version of Windows. Older versions will not be blocked from working based on current plans, but are considered unsupported. What Unsupported Means: * No tinderbox coverage * No QA coverage * No unit test or talos performance coverage * Bugs only affecting these platforms will not be considered as blocking any release 1.9.2 or later. ** We wil...

How To Replace Windows XP With Windows 7
Many Windows XP users have decided to skip the Windows Vista operating system due to countless problems reported in the early days of its release. Especially performance related issues where the main culprit why many Windows XP users decided to wait for Vista's successor instead. The release of Windows 7 is not that far away anymore. Microsoft did already make announcements regarding the possible upgrade opportunities. In short; Windows XP users will be able to buy an upgrade edition of Windows 7 but will not be able to upgrade the operating system itself to Windows 7. They ...

Problem in Windows XP but not in Windows 7
Hello, I have installed PB 11.5 in a Windows 7. I developed an application that connects to an Oracle database using the O10 controller. I created the executable file and I leave it in a shared folder that other useres in my organization can access. In this folder I copy the content of the c:\program files\sybase\shared\powerbuilder to allow my users run the program. In the program there is a window that has a datawindow which insert files in the database. In clients with windows 7 works fine, but in clients with windows XP when I run the command dw_1.update() I get a...

SecureAble Tells You if Your Processor Will Support Windows 7's XP Mode
Wow...they know how good your "SecureAble" application, Steve !?! http://lifehacker.com/5244434/secureable-tells-you-if-your-processor-will-support-windows-7s-xp-mode -- "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" Hi, If you are looking for a new PC or Laptop which might be used with Windows 7 then it's worth looking out for a processor that supports Intel VT technologies. The Core 2 Duo list is here: http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/core2duo.htm The supprise is not which processors do suppor...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en -- Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED. Retired wrote: > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en > From the release notes: Why Version 5.7? The primary reason for changing the version number from 5.6 to 5.7 is to simplify servicing and support by synchronizing the versioning to a consistent scheme based on Vista build number. The minor version increase does not indicate significant new f...

Dual Booting Open SUSE 11.2 and Windows 7, Windows 7 not loading (Windows 7 installed first)
Hi everybody i know there may be many threads on this topic but I have researched and still cant seem to get Windows 7 working when the GRUB menu appears but Open SUSE 11.2 works fine.. This is the first time installing Open SUSE 11.2. I created two partitions (swap and Suse 11.2) in Windows 7 before installing Open SUSE 11.2. Open SUSE 11.2 automatically created an extra two partitions (one was swap and the other i guess is where SUSE was installed?), i should have gone into expert mode and left my original partitions but i decided to let SUSE do it and i deleted the partitions i...

URL Handling Vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows Server,2003 with Windows Internet Explorer 7 Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Boy, that's a long subject line - but it's the title of Microsoft's KB article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/943521.mspx -- Microsoft details (a bit) its changes to URL, more correctly URI, handling in IE 7 on WinXP and Windows 2003. The problem is that IE 7 code "tries to fix up" malformed URIs, then passes the fixed-up URI to the ShellExecute procedure (on XP and Win2003). http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/10/10/msrc-blog-additional-details-and-background-on-security-advisory-943521.aspx OR http://tinyurl.com/yoadp8 ...

Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending.
Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending. http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us This is on the windows update site. Greg R "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:jtsbr015chb8em86b45m8un2k535vjsi75@4ax.com... > Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending. > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us When I visit that site with another OS, it takes me to v4.windowsupdate. Can you give a summary (at least what 'RTM' is)? -- Ray Marron htt...

February windows security up dates for windows 7 64bit
Do you guys know when the security updates for this month will be available? I see the security updates for most OS's buexcept for windows 7 64bit thanks -- fishoil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Fishoil, I've been away for a few days - do you see them now? -- Shaun Pond yes sir, appeared a day later after this post. Do you know if windows 7 sp1 for 64 bit will be available through patch management? -- fishoil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fishoil'...

setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse
Hi I need some advise about setting up a wireless network, never had to do this before. My partner has just purchased a fancy laptop, which will have windows7. I have a desktop with two hard drives one with Opensuse 11.2 64 bits, the other with Windows XP. At present my box is connect directly via cable to the netgear DG834Gv2 router, that comes with me ISP.. May questions are; - can i have my box cabled to the router at the same time as using the router to connect the laptop by wireless? - Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks? I have the feeling this could be a ...

More info on Windows XP support, downgrades from Windows Vista
It's been a busy couple of weeks, what with reviews last week and the Engineering Excellence - Trustworthy Computing Forum this week. In that time, I've been pinged and discussed several times the misunderstandings on Windows XP: several customers contacted me, concerned that they would not be able to purchase computers with Windows XP after June 30th. A couple of people were even concerned that support ends for Windows XP at the end of June. Both of these are misconceptions and not generally true, and I'd like to call out a few resources to help people understand the...

Install Delphi 2010 Ent in Windows XP or Windows 7
What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi 2010 Enterprise in? Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. And why? Thanks Greg Saunders wrote: > What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi > 2010 Enterprise in? > > Windows XP or Windows 7 Windows 7. > > 32 bit or 64 bit. 32 bit. > > And why? Windows 7 is a lot supperior and more stable than windows XP, also it recognizes more than 3 GB of RAM. Delphi 2010 supports Windows 7 Libraries, you can take advantage of this in yo...

Disable this Thursday Windows 7 and Windows XP on Rev3 machines
(posting to dev.platform and dev.tree-management) Hello all, We have been running unit tests and talos jobs on the iX hardware for a while side by side with the Rev3 minis. We have disabled the Rev3 minis jobs for few days in on our main tbpl pages and we have not missed them AFAIK. We have some known intermittent oranges but nothing that has been shown as a show-stopper. Unless I hear any strong objections we will be stop running jobs on the rev3 minis for FF23 (m-a) && FF24 (m-c) based projects. best regards, Armen Mozilla's Release Engineering This is...

Web resources about - Security Permissions for Printer on Windows XP and Windows 7 - novell.support.iprint

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Tests Allowing Users To Start Games Instantly, Bypass Permissions Dialog
Facebook game developers Zynga , Kixeye , and Electronic Arts reached agreements with Facebook to test a new “start now” feature, that allows ...

Why is the Messenger app requesting permission to access features on my Android phone or tablet? - Facebook-Hilfebereich ...
If you install the Messenger app on your Android, your phone or tablet should let you know that the app is asking for your permission to access... ...

Permissions Reference - Facebook-Entwickler
When a user authenticates your application, by default, your app gets the ability to read only the u...

Facebook tests ‘start now’ option to allow users to begin playing games without authorizing permissions ...
Some Facebook canvas games are testing a new “start now” function to let users begin playing games immediately without the roadblock of a permissions ...

OOPS: without Permission, Paul Ryan and Family Show Up Washing Clean Dishes at Ohio Soup Kitchen - YouTube ...
The head of a charity in Ohio is not pleased with Paul Ryan's photo op at a soup kitchen in Ohio, saying that the Romney campaign "ramrodded ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

LeBron James sought sons' permission before his return to Ohio
Before LeBron James could return home to the Cavaliers, he first had to clear it with his children.

Jacqui Lambie shares another misappropriated image without permission
Senator Jacqui Lambie has been criticised for sharing a heavily altered Canberra Times cartoon to suit her own political campaign.