Cannot Upload Windows 7 IPP Print Drivers from Windows XP

We are in the process of migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7.  In
preparation we are attempting to upload all of the correct Windows 7
print drivers into IPP.  The problem we are having is that within the
IPP Manage Driver Store task, under the Drivers Tab we can add print
drivers for Windows XP from �Add From File� or �Add From System� just
fine � but when I select Windows 7 from the Driver�s Platform drop down
and then click �Add From File� or �Add From System� I get the following
error:

�A driver can only be added to the same operating system that is
currently running on the workstation.�

Now, this is fully expected on the Add From System, but in accordance
with both the pop up help and the Novell Documentation I should be able
to upload drivers from a file.

I have attempted this from IE 7 and from IE 8 (both with compatibility
mode turned on and off).  I have installed the iprntman-setup.exe
utility.  Windows XP is fully patched.  I set IE security to low in case
it was a problem with running the plugin.  I set the server (both
iManager and the IPP print server) to trusted.  The server is a brand
new SLES 10.3 / OES 2 SP 3 fully patched server.  The IPP print
environment works perfectly other than this issue.

Any ideas?

--
DHewes

DHewes
3/22/2011 4:36:01 PM
novell.support.iprint 7215 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I should also note that iManger is: Version  2.7.4  (20100928_164510)
with all of the newest plugins installed, iManager server rebooted.

--
DHewes
DHewes's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14166

0
DHewes
3/22/2011 4:36:01 PM
You need to upload W7 32 bit drivers using a W7 32bit workstation and
64bit W7 drivers from a 64 bit W7 workstation.

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=435357

0
thsundel
3/22/2011 5:06:02 PM
DHewes;2088534 Wrote:
> Thomas -  Thank you for your reply.  Do you happen to have, or have you
> seen, anything official on this?  I ask because we have been able to
> upload other drivers, like Windows NT 4, and the example in the manual
> illustrates uploading Windows XP drivers from a Windows 2000 workstation
> via the Add From File process.  I have been unable to find anything in
> the knowledge base regarding this and I am not willing to throw a $750
> incident away to be told it is a known bug (again).  From a technical
> standpoint I am not sure how or why there would be a limit on the OS you
> use to simply upload a collection of files into a datastore.
>
> Thanks again!

Here is something official:

'Novell Documentation'
(http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/oes_getstart_lx/?page=/documentation/oes2/oes_getstart_lx/data/bogodte.html)

> You can upload Windows 7 drivers from a Windows 7 workstation and
> Windows XP drivers from a Windows XP workstation, etc.

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=435357

0
thsundel
3/22/2011 6:06:02 PM
thsundel;2088538 Wrote:
> Here is something official:
>
> 'Novell Documentation'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/oes_getstart_lx/?page=/documentation/oes2/oes_getstart_lx/data/bogodte.html)
>

> Thomas

Okay I might be wring here, found a book stating add from file should
work ( 'Introduction to OES Printing'
(http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/suse/novellhandbook/novellhandbook/067232749x/ch13lev1sec2.html)
)... I always though you need to upload drivers using the same OS as the
driver, sry....

Thomas

--

thsundel;2088497 Wrote:
> You need to upload W7 32 bit drivers using a W7 32bit workstation and
> 64bit W7 drivers from a 64 bit W7 workstation.
>
> Thomas

Thomas -  Thank you for your reply.  Do you happen to have, or have you
seen, anything official on this?  I ask because we have been able to
upload other drivers, like Windows NT 4, and the example in the manual
illustrates uploading Windows XP drivers from a Windows 2000 workstation
via the Add From File process.  I have been unable to find anything in
the knowledge base regarding this and I am not willing to throw a $750
incident away to be told it is a known bug (again).  From a technical
standpoint I am not sure how or why there would be a limit on the OS you
use to simply upload a collection of files into a datastore.

Thanks again!

--
DHewes
DHewes's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14166
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=435357

0
DHewes
3/22/2011 6:06:02 PM
Actually that page is on specifically loading drivers using the Add From
System option, as it states just above the line you quoted:

> because most Windows workstations have an extensive list of printer
> drivers available on the system, the simplest way to add drivers for a
> Windows workstation is to upload them directly.

in in step 21 it says: > You can add drivers from the system only for the workstation type you
> are running.

and again if you go down to step 22 in the instructions.

This is from teh iManager built in help:

> Driver Store Print Drivers
> Drivers Platform
> Select the operating system to add/delete print drivers from the
> Current Drivers list.
>
> Note
> By default, your workstation operating system is selected. You can add
> the driver only from your workstation operating system.
>
> Add from File
> Adds a print driver to the list from an .inf or .ppd file that you
> obtain from the printer vendor. If there is more than one driver in the
> .inf file, select the drivers that you want to install.
>
> Add from System
> Add drivers from the workstation you are running iManager from. The
> drivers installed on your workstation are made available for upload to
> the driver store. You can upload drivers only for the same platform as
> the workstation.
>
> For example, if you are running iManager from a Windows* 2000
> workstation, you can add only Windows 2000 print drivers. To add a print
> driver for Windows XP, you would need to add the XP driver from a .inf
> file that you downloaded from the manufacturer or .cab file that you
> copied from the XP installation CD, or use iManager from a Windows XP
> workstation.

And from teh OES 2 documentation online:

> To add printer resources to the Driver Store:
>
> 1.In Novell iManager, click iPrint > Manage Driver Store, then browse
> to and select the Driver Store you want.
>
> 2.Click Drivers, then select the client platform you want to work
> with.
>
> 3.Do one of the following:
>
> �Click Add from File to add printer resources from a printer driver
> .inf file or PPD file.
>
> Uploading a PPD file is supported on the Firefox browser (Linux only).
>
> �Click Add from System to add drivers from the workstation you are
> running iManager from.
>
> The drivers installed on your workstation are made available for upload
> to the Driver Store. You can upload only drivers for the same platform
> as the workstation.
>
> 4.Select the driver you want, then click OK.
>
> 5.Click OK to save your changes.

While there is no explicit statement that an Add From File can be from
any OS, intended for any OS, there is a clear statement in both places
that Add From System must be performed that way.  The obvious inference
is that Add From File should have the flexibility.  I know from testing
just now that you can in fact upload drivers for Linux, Mac, Windows NT
4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP all from Windows XP.  The error message I
get is ONLY when Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) is selected.

Again, all this process does is add the driver files to the server -
not install them - there is no technical reason this should not work
that I am aware of.

--
DHewes
DHewes's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14166
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=435357

0
DHewes
3/22/2011 6:36:02 PM
OK...I'm not crazy...  If that were true (needing to install drivers
from the OS and version) then an admin in a school district would need
like 6 workstations in his/her office.

--

DHewes;2088556 Wrote:
> OK...I'm not crazy...  If that were true (needing to install drivers
> from the OS and version) then an admin in a school district would need
> like 6 workstations in his/her office.

Yeah, I'm not really 100% sure on this one.... But I agree if that is
the case then it's a pain... but we always have VMware/VrtualBox for
these kind of tasks :)

Thomas

--
http://thsundel.blogspot.com/
thsundel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=435357

0
thsundel

Windows 7 drivers can only be uploaded from a Windows 7 operating system
And I AM trying to upload Win 7 drivers to the Broker from Win 7 x64 Enterprise using IE8 Anybody has a solution? Seb IPPSRVR.NLM Loaded from [SYS:SYSTEM\] on 14 Feb 2011 2:42:56 pm (Address Space = OS) Novell iPrint Server Version 4.02.01 24 June 2009 Copyright (c) 1989-2008 Novell Inc. All rights reserved. iPrint Client 5.56.00 Seb "Sebastian Cerazy" <sebastian.cerazy@(nospam)spgs.org> wrote in message news:TlQ6p.18364$325.3079@kovat.provo.novell.com... > And I AM trying to upload Win 7 drivers to the Broker from Win 7 x64 >...

Proposal Round 2: Drop active support of Windows 2000, Windows XP (no service pack) and Windows XP SP1
See the previous thread for the story so far: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/67ddcaa5c897a58b# What seems to be a reasonable step is to declare that Windows XP SP2 is the lowest supported version of Windows. Older versions will not be blocked from working based on current plans, but are considered unsupported. What Unsupported Means: * No tinderbox coverage * No QA coverage * No unit test or talos performance coverage * Bugs only affecting these platforms will not be considered as blocking any release 1.9.2 or later. ** We wil...

iPrint, Windows 7, Xerox Global Print Driver
I guess there are people who are able to make iPrint work with Windows 7, but I seem to be not one of those people. There seems to be too many pieces to this puzzle that I have to worry about, and I'm having trouble getting a good feel for where the problem is. Most of our computers are XP, but we are starting to roll out a few Win-7 machines. I believe I have the iPrint client loaded on a Win-7 machine ok, but it's hard to tell, since I can't seem to get a Win-7 print driver into the broker. First issue was that loading a driver to the broker via iManager doesn't l...

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP and Windows Server* 2003
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=&DwnldID=4275&strOSs=OSFullName=&lang=eng or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ntk46 Installs base drivers, Intel� PROSet for Windows* Device Manager, and Advanced Networking Services (ANS) for Intel� network adapters for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows Server* 2003. Download the self-extracting archive and run it. When you run it, it will extract the files to a temporary directory, run the installation wizard, and remove the temporary files when the installation is complet...

Problem in Windows XP but not in Windows 7
Hello, I have installed PB 11.5 in a Windows 7. I developed an application that connects to an Oracle database using the O10 controller. I created the executable file and I leave it in a shared folder that other useres in my organization can access. In this folder I copy the content of the c:\program files\sybase\shared\powerbuilder to allow my users run the program. In the program there is a window that has a datawindow which insert files in the database. In clients with windows 7 works fine, but in clients with windows XP when I run the command dw_1.update() I get a...

How To Replace Windows XP With Windows 7
Many Windows XP users have decided to skip the Windows Vista operating system due to countless problems reported in the early days of its release. Especially performance related issues where the main culprit why many Windows XP users decided to wait for Vista's successor instead. The release of Windows 7 is not that far away anymore. Microsoft did already make announcements regarding the possible upgrade opportunities. In short; Windows XP users will be able to buy an upgrade edition of Windows 7 but will not be able to upgrade the operating system itself to Windows 7. They ...

Windows 7 HP drivers and Universal Print Driver questions
Do you use HP UPD for all HP Laserjet for your organization? How did it work out using iprint and UPD? I rather not use UPD since it got so many issues in the past. It looks like I don't have any choice though. For example I can't find Color laserjet 5500 driver on Hp site (except for UDP). In Imanager broker upload page, built-in drivers for windows 7 does not list hp 5500. There is a function in windows 7 that allow you show more printers drivers if you chose "windows update" option. This will show hp 5500 driver in the list. However, I can't do that step...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en -- Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED. Retired wrote: > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-D896-482E-A0D6-524E7E844D81&displaylang=en > From the release notes: Why Version 5.7? The primary reason for changing the version number from 5.6 to 5.7 is to simplify servicing and support by synchronizing the versioning to a consistent scheme based on Vista build number. The minor version increase does not indicate significant new f...

Dual Booting Open SUSE 11.2 and Windows 7, Windows 7 not loading (Windows 7 installed first)
Hi everybody i know there may be many threads on this topic but I have researched and still cant seem to get Windows 7 working when the GRUB menu appears but Open SUSE 11.2 works fine.. This is the first time installing Open SUSE 11.2. I created two partitions (swap and Suse 11.2) in Windows 7 before installing Open SUSE 11.2. Open SUSE 11.2 automatically created an extra two partitions (one was swap and the other i guess is where SUSE was installed?), i should have gone into expert mode and left my original partitions but i decided to let SUSE do it and i deleted the partitions i...

URL Handling Vulnerability in Windows XP and Windows Server,2003 with Windows Internet Explorer 7 Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Boy, that's a long subject line - but it's the title of Microsoft's KB article: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/943521.mspx -- Microsoft details (a bit) its changes to URL, more correctly URI, handling in IE 7 on WinXP and Windows 2003. The problem is that IE 7 code "tries to fix up" malformed URIs, then passes the fixed-up URI to the ShellExecute procedure (on XP and Win2003). http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/10/10/msrc-blog-additional-details-and-background-on-security-advisory-943521.aspx OR http://tinyurl.com/yoadp8 ...

Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending.
Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending. http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us This is on the windows update site. Greg R "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:jtsbr015chb8em86b45m8un2k535vjsi75@4ax.com... > Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending. > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us When I visit that site with another OS, it takes me to v4.windowsupdate. Can you give a summary (at least what 'RTM' is)? -- Ray Marron htt...

setting up a network between Windows XP, Windows 7 opensuse
Hi I need some advise about setting up a wireless network, never had to do this before. My partner has just purchased a fancy laptop, which will have windows7. I have a desktop with two hard drives one with Opensuse 11.2 64 bits, the other with Windows XP. At present my box is connect directly via cable to the netgear DG834Gv2 router, that comes with me ISP.. May questions are; - can i have my box cabled to the router at the same time as using the router to connect the laptop by wireless? - Does Suse have a program for setting up such networks? I have the feeling this could be a ...

Security Permissions for Printer on Windows XP and Windows 7
Hello, We are a big company with a lot of Iprint Netware servers at every location. We are at the testing phase where we will be creating the new OES Iprint server for every location running on SUSE LINUX. I am almost done with the Iprint configuration at every location. When I install the driver from IPP page of the server, installation goes great for Win 7 64 bit but when I go to Devices and Printers - Properties of the Printer - Security Tab. I see Everyone, Creator Owner, Administrators and Power users user group can Print, Manage Printer, Manager Documents so in short all of ...

More info on Windows XP support, downgrades from Windows Vista
It's been a busy couple of weeks, what with reviews last week and the Engineering Excellence - Trustworthy Computing Forum this week. In that time, I've been pinged and discussed several times the misunderstandings on Windows XP: several customers contacted me, concerned that they would not be able to purchase computers with Windows XP after June 30th. A couple of people were even concerned that support ends for Windows XP at the end of June. Both of these are misconceptions and not generally true, and I'd like to call out a few resources to help people understand the...

Web resources about - Cannot Upload Windows 7 IPP Print Drivers from Windows XP - novell.support.iprint

The Windows Blog

Windows 10's growth continues to slow as Windows 7 and 8.x gain share
NetMarketShare has released its usage share figures for November, and they make for interesting reading. As you would expect, Windows 10 grew ...

Latest update reenables Windows 10’s spying features – here’s how to stop it
Microsoft released the first major Windows 10 update a few weeks ago, but the operating system’s spying capabilities are still intact – though ...

Windows 10 is now used on 10% of PCs in the world
Windows 10, Microsoft's new desktop operating system, launched in August and is already being used on roughly 10% of the total PC market. According ...

Windows 10 continues to crawl its way onto desktop PCs
The latest version of Microsoft's operating system is making baby steps in its effort to win over users, according to Web tracker NetMarket Share. ...

Windows 10 vs. OS X: Which gives sys admins more control?
Now, nearly everything can be managed as if it were a mobile device, using APIs at the operating system for assured reach and consistent implementation ...

Use the New Find My Device Tool to Track Your Windows 10 Laptop
Microsoft has finally got around to adding a Find My Device feature to Windows 10. As you might expect, it lets you identify where your laptop ...

U-pet, Innovated Pet Carriers With Bubble Viewing Windows for the Beloved Animal Inside
U-pet is a line of innovative pet carriers that offer interchangeable windows, including a really fun viewing bubble that allows the beloved ...