iMan 272 Login works with ip address or DNS Name not with Tree Name

I believe this error message has a long history.
I am hoping to get lucky and be graced with a technical explanation
(i.e. detail) as to the cause, from someone who knows the reasons why....

The message appears in the error log of our iManager 272 Servers (Hosted
on NW6.5 Sp8 eDir 88. NW 6.5 SP8 was installed on eDir 88 so we are at
eDir 88SP4). The text of the message also appears to the initiator of
the failed authentication attempt aka user on the iManager browser login
window.

09/03/09 [08:15:17.141] 	DirAuthenticator...1099 	Login failed.  The
required dependencies were not found.  Please reinstall this software
from the original distribution to ensure the components are available.
Refer to Novell documentation for the required prerequisites.

If the Tree Name is not used for authentication and instead the iManager
Server IP Address or DNS Name is used then authentication works.

Thanks in advance
Richard Seepaul
0
Richard
9/3/2009 1:47:39 PM
novell.support.imanager 4438 articles. 1 followers. Follow

In article <%NPnm.7780$7G7.7274@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Richard Seepaul
wrote:
> If the Tree Name is not used for authentication and instead the iManager
> Server IP Address or DNS Name is used then authentication works.

Educated guess is that name resolution of the tree name is failing to point
to a valid address.  I'm not sure what method iManager uses to resolve the
name (SLP or DNS), but you might try some testing here:

1. Add the tree name in the hosts file to the end of the line calling out
the server's internal IP address.   That should help if DNS is used.
2. For SLP, check SLP services in general.  DISPLAY SLPDA - if you have a
DA, you should see it listed there, as V2 and Active.  If you don't have a
DA, don't worry about that, but check to see if the server has previously
been configured to expect one (via static or DHCP entries).   And check
DISPLAY SLP SERVICES.  You should see the tree name and a lot of other
services listed there.  All servers should see the same services, by the
way, or you have some sort of SLP issue.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0
Craig
9/3/2009 5:44:15 PM
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:44:15 +0000, Craig Johnson wrote:

> Educated guess is that name resolution of the tree name is failing to
> point to a valid address.  I'm not sure what method iManager uses to
> resolve the name (SLP or DNS), but you might try some testing here:

It must be SLP. Ours works fine, and we don't have our tree names in DNS.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu
 Novell Knowledge Partner                         http://forums.novell.com

 Please post questions in the newsgroups.   No support provided via email.

0
David

Published website login working on IP address but not on domain name
I have a published website that uses forms authentication. The aspnetdb.mdf contains users that I pre-created on the dev machine prior to publishing. I can successfully logon to the website if I use its IP address. However, if I use the full domain name it will not let any user login. Obviously, I need users to be able to login from the full domain name URL! Can anyone help ?   Paul.   use http://dnsstuff.com to figure it out if the IP and the domain are pointing the same thing.CheersAlMy BlogMapStats.NETPlease click on 'Mark as Answer' if...

How can I modify the printer IP Address in Imanager to DNS name.
I wish to change all our printers that were setup with IP Address only when we created the iPrint objects to DNS names which they now have. How do I do this? What are the consequences? Thanks Use the /DNSNAME switch on the NDPSM command line. See TID 10069798 for details. -- -Barry. [SysOp Emeritus] Barry St.John wrote: > Use the /DNSNAME switch on the NDPSM command line. See TID 10069798 > for details. > > -- > -Barry. [SysOp Emeritus] > Sorry not the Printer Manager I got all that worked out. But when you create a printer object it asks for IP ...

How to get DNS Name be the DNS Name rather than computer name
In Patchlink associated with computers there is "DNS Name" field. This field seems to be the computer name (netbios name) for windows computers rather than the dns name assocated with the IP address. Is there a way to configure the patchlink server so this field reports the DNS Name rather than the computer name? where is that "DNS name" field? -- Shaun Pond > where is that "DNS name" field? > > -- > > Shaun Pond > > From the web interface: 1) From the Reports ->Computer Status Report the second field ins...

Can't Login to Utilities Using Server Name (IP address works)
We are unable to login to iManager, Remote Manager, or a Dell utility if we access any of them using the server name (https://SRVR1/nps/imanager, https://SRVR1:8009, https://SRVR1:1311). The login screens will appear, but when we attempt to login we get various failure messages. Everything works fine if we use the IP address instead. I don't believe this is a name resolution issue, as the login screens do appear (which implies workstation DNS is fine), and the servers all have each other listed in their host files, in addition to being configured to use DNS. Based on di...

DNS name switching between Primary IP Address and Secondary Ip
I am running three Novell SBS 6.0 servers with our main server running internal DNS and DHCP. I have assigned an internal domain name to an IP address (192.xxx.xxx.22) bound to an internal server with only one net card. I have assigned a secondary IP address (192.xxx.xxx.23)to that same net card. The internal domain name "abc.mydomain.com" can be pinged at the secondary ip address at some work stations and the primary ip address at the others. What could be causing this to happen? I want the primary address to be pinged at all times. Just wondering, Ken@...

login name to IP address
Hi all, Does anyone know of any tools that will help me to determine what IP address has been assigned to what users. I know I can do it to machine name but currently they are meaningless and that is part of the exercise to get tham changed to user names. It would be great if anyone knew of a tool that would tell me ip address, login name anything else would be a bonus On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:32:46 GMT, morite@zoom.co.uk wrote: >Hi all, > >Does anyone know of any tools that will help me to determine what IP >address has been assigned to what users. I know I ca...

Configure all DNS names with IP Address
Hello, I�m using NW6 SP3. I try to install all DNS names with IP Adress. At the main portal appear link to all the services, iManager, iPrint, Remote Manager, NetStorage, Web Search, with this link (ex i Manager): http://srv1:2200/eMFrame/iManager.html i want define: http://192.168.2.1/eMFrame/iManager.html. etc/host have this entry: 192.168.2.1 srv1 etc/hostname have this entry 192.168.2.1 I don�t need enable DNS service. At the install process, it�s possible configure only IP Option? Post Installation i suppose need modify adminserv.conf and httpd.con...

http accelerator/reverse proxy on bm 3.7 support support multiple domain names on one single ip address
hi please let me know if BM 3.7 , HTTP accelerator/reverse proxy support multiple domain names on single ip address thank you michel michel wrote: > please let me know if BM 3.7 , HTTP accelerator/reverse proxy support > multiple domain names on single ip address You can have multiple domain names that point to the *same* web server, sure, but I don't think that's what you want. If you're asking if it handles multihomed accelerators, no. The BM reverse-proxy is not 100% HTTP 1.1 compliant. You need the more sophisticated proxy capabilit...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the DNS records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ novell.support.netware.dns-dhcp is where I would try if you don't get a good answer here............... -- Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Suggestion...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the already existing records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rileymartin, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following opti...

IP works but name fails (and not a DNS problem)!
Ok here goes. A friend called me as a last rescue. Short and simple, Windows OS, he *can* do an nslookup for anything, so DNS works. He can ping on IP address, no problem but can NOT ping anything by name. I can RDP and VNC his server (Windows 2003 SP1) and he said all other updates installed succesfully except SP2, for some months. And the latest updates (applied 9/21) broke everything, badly. So now, he can do nslookup (success) ping the IP (success) but not ping or telnet by name (on known open ports) "Could not open connection to the host, on port xxxx" even thou...

Culture name 'en_us' is not supported. Parameter name: name
I keep getting this error on my site.  Any advice on how to fix this issue?  I'm using the June CTP. Error in: http://www.mysite.com/atlasglob.axd Error Message: Culture name 'en_us' is not supported. Parameter name: name Referring Page: http://www.mysite.com/content/support/FAQ.aspx Stack Trace: at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.CreateSpecificCulture(String name) at Microsoft.Web.Globalization.AtlasCultureInfo.Create(String cultureName) at Microsoft.Web.Globalization.GlobalizationHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.Call...

Culture name 'fr_fr' is not supported. Parameter name: name
Hello, In my web application, I don't use localization. Howerver, sometime I have this message : Culture name 'fr_fr' is not supported. Parameter name: name Pile : at System.Globalization.CultureInfo.CreateSpecificCulture(String name) at Microsoft.Web.Globalization.AtlasCultureInfo.Create(String cultureName) at Microsoft.Web.Globalization.GlobalizationHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSync...

tree name and domain name
Can the NDS Tree name and a Domain name be the same? I want to rename the tree, but the domain has the name I want to use. Russell, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com. - You could also try posting your message a...

Web resources about - iMan 272 Login works with ip address or DNS Name not with Tree Name - novell.support.imanager

File:Ipv6 address.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain . This applies worldwide. This file contains additional information, ...

Outlook online to get a better address book and flight confirmations
... needs extras that attract customers to its offering. Now the company is announcing a couple of updates including improvements to the address ...

The backwards notion that Obama was late for the glamorous 2015 Kennedy Center Honors because he needed ...
Here's the standard presentation of that notion in People Magazine , replete with video, from which I grabbed this still. But I think the address ...

Clinton must choose how to address data breach in Dem debate
The question facing Hillary Clinton is how forcefully to confront Bernie Sanders about the actions of his campaign staff.

Figure out how to address your cover letter - Business Insider Deutschland
... a specific individual. Just because a job posting omits the name of the person in charge of the hiring process doesn't mean you should address ...

Millennial Muslims address backlash after Calif. attacks
Five Muslim-American millennials sat down with Scott Pelley to discuss a range of topics, including Donald Trump's proposed ban

Clinton to address terror protection
As domestic terror fears rise, Hillary Clinton is set to explain how she will protect Americans, reports NBC News.

House Republican: Obama Came Out Worse After Oval Office Address
House Republican: Obama Came Out Worse After Oval Office Address

Obama gets 'in on the action' with top 10 list in his weekly address
... my top 10 things that happened in 2015 that should make every American optimistic about 2016 President Obama, in a light-hearted weekly address ...

Congress Shockingly Fails to Address Alleged EPA Lawbreaking
Right now, the EPA is making Congress look foolish.