Creating a Home Directory for a user in iManager

I'm setting up some custom user creation tasks in iManager 2.0.2 and
having trouble with the creation of user home directories.  The problem is
described in TID 10092408 in scenario 3 where the home directory is
located on a NetWare 6.5 cluster volume.  I've looked at the other issues
re rights to the file system to create the folder and set the access
rights but this is all ok.  I have tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP3 which
the article indicates should resolve the problem (an update to NCPIP.NLM)
and I have also tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP4.  Does anyone know
whether this problem has actually been resolved? Is there anything else I
should be looking at here?
0
stefan
12/1/2005 10:42:31 PM
novell.support.imanager 4438 articles. 1 followers. Follow

stefan.davenport,

Hmm, I was under the impression that creating home directories
with iManager was not possible at all. This TID tells the opposite.

Any way you can retry the operation using iManager 2.5?

0
Niclas
12/2/2005 6:33:04 AM
stefan.davenport@parliament.sa.gov.au wrote:

>  and
> having trouble with the creation of user home directories.

AFAIK, iManager does not do file system rights, which it would need to
do user home dirs

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp

Yes, I believe you're correct.

0
Niclas
12/3/2005 9:05:52 AM
G'day,

I've also tried this with iManager 2.5 on a NW65SP4a cluster and it fails.

However, if I create a user and put their home directory on SYS:\tmp
folder it creates the user and home directory successfully.

Seems as though the problem is with iManager accessing clustered volumes.

I remember seeing a workaround solution involving giving Supervisor
rights to the root folder holding user home directories for the
iManager role used to create user accounts. I tried this but it didn't
work for me unfortunately.

Adrian.

Niclas Ekstedt wrote:
> Joseph Moore [SysOp],
>
> Yes, I believe you're correct.

0
Adrian
12/5/2005 12:09:20 AM
Adrian Nott wrote:

> and home directory successfully.

but does it assign rights?

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html
0
Joseph
12/5/2005 4:11:32 PM
Created a new testuser account and set the home directory to
SYS:\tmp\testuser.
The file system rights were applied successfully and correctly.

Joseph Moore [SysOp] wrote:
> Adrian Nott wrote:
>
>> and home directory successfully.
>
> but does it assign rights?

0
Adrian
12/5/2005 11:50:02 PM
Adrian Nott wrote:

> The file system rights were applied successfully and correctly.

interesting - I have always been told that iManager does not do file
system rights

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html
0
Joseph
12/6/2005 4:52:47 PM
I thought so as well.

I found the workaround I was talking about earlier,

####
iManager and Clustered Home Directories

Problem: Creating a user with the home directory on a clustered volume,
user is created but home directory is not

I've found a workaround for this if anyone is interested.

1. Create a group (eg. using the same name as the role)
2. Add the group as a trustee of the folder containing the home directories,
with the Supervisor attribute selected.
3. Add the Help Desk users to the group.

iManager will then create the home directory and assign rights as expected.

PS. It fixed the problem on v2.0.2, but I haven't tested it on other
versions.
####

I tried this with iManager 2.5 and it doesn't seem to work, damn!!
Anyway, it may help others.

Adrian.

Joseph Moore [SysOp] wrote:
> Adrian Nott wrote:
>
>> The file system rights were applied successfully and correctly.
>
> interesting - I have always been told that iManager does not do file
> system rights

0
Adrian
12/6/2005 11:32:12 PM
Adrian Nott wrote:

> Anyway, it may help others.

and that is why we are here, after all - thanks very much for posting
your solution!

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html
0
Joseph
12/7/2005 1:09:02 PM
Just to clarify, the workaround didn't solve the problem on iManager 2.5
and I never tested it on iManager 2.0.2

Cheers,
Adrian.

Joseph Moore [SysOp] wrote:
> Adrian Nott wrote:
>
>> Anyway, it may help others.
>
> and that is why we are here, after all - thanks very much for posting
> your solution!

0
Adrian
12/8/2005 1:41:06 AM
Adrian Nott wrote:

> Just to clarify, the workaround didn't solve the problem on iManager
> 2.5

thanks for the clarification!

--
Joe Moore
Novell Support Forums SysOp
http://just.fdisk-it.com
http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html
http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html
http://www.caledonia.net/jmttb.html
0
Joseph

iManager can not creat User Home Directory
When attempting to create a User with iManager, I get the following error: Error: error due creating user home directory. We have NW 6.5 SP1, eDirectory 8.7.4. Have anybody an idea what I do wrong? Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options avail...

iManager can not creat User Home Directory II
Now I find out that iManager can not create user home directory on a Netware Cluster Volume. Is there any fixes for iManager to fix this greate problem? Thank, Fari Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in b...

iManager and Users Home Directory
I try to create a user with iManager. I check the box "Copy from template or user object", choose the right template and fill out all required fields. After that, the user and all template specific properties are created but not the home directory in the filesystem nor the properties in the user account. If I do the same with netware administrator everything works fine. what's wrong?? Christian Roth wrote: > but not the home directory in the > filesystem nor the properties in the user account. If I do the same > with netware administrator everything wo...

No home directories being created when using imanager
I have an OES2 server with imanager 2.7.0 on it and I am trying to create users accounts for all the new kindergarten kids in the system. wHEN i USE CONSOLE ONE,, they all create correctly using a template that I have created except that I do not want to use it since it does not automatically ask for their first name. SO I try to use imanager using the same template, but I get an error back of "(Error -255) Multiple meaning error message for error code -255." I go through and look at waht has actually created and it appears everything is identical to what is created in c...

Creation of User Home directories with iManager what a bundle of joy
iManager lets you select the volume on which you wish to host user home directories but does not let you browse to select where in that volumes directory structure you wish the home directory to be created. Admins have to type the full path beneath the root volume level. If they make a typo in this path then they face new challenges. No wonder people would rather die that switch from Console 1. Am I missing some hidden feature/befefit ? I agree with this irritating and missing function in iManager. But what i really is missing, is a tool to mass-import users from csv-file. Now ...

Create home directory in iManager 2.0.2
Hi there, I'm trying to set up a new role. Everything is going well except when I create a new user through iManager it says "The create user's home directory failed". The user is being created based on a template, and the administrative user has rights to the volume where the home directory is being created. This same admin user can create users with home directories using ConsoleONE so I believe that the rights are correct. Does anyone know how I might fix this? Any suggestions are always appreciated! Cheers! Chris Upon further investigation I h...

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Creating Users with iManager or NWAdmin
Hello, I want to use our Netware 6.5 Server as a LDAP-Source. When I create an user with the iManager it works, but when I create an user with the NWAdmin-Tool not. What is the differenz between these Tools? Or is there something wrong on our Server? Thanks! Siegfried siegfried.olberding@sparkasse-wittmund.de wrote: > but when I create an > user with the NWAdmin-Tool not. please clarify how this does not work. Do you get an error at creation, or is the user unable to login later? what are the exact symptoms of your problem? BTW if you have problems with ans...

Problem creating Users in iManager
Hello there, I've installed a NOES SP2-Server... I've (after some problems) successfully configured my Data-Volumes but now when I click on "Create User" in the Novell iManager, I've get the following error-message: "/portal/modules/base/skins/default/devices/default/CrtUserAcct.jsp(27,0) No such tag dialogScripts in the tag library imported with prefix iman" I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the iManager completly (via YaST), but no success. The other links below the user-section (Delete User, Disable Account, Enable Account) don't pr...

iManager, creating Users and LUM

Error creating user in iManager
I am running OES Linux Sp2. When I go and try to created a user in iManager I get the following error.. /portal/modules/base/skins/default/devices/default/CrtUserAcct.jsp(27,0) No such tag dialogScripts in the tag library imported with prefix iman How do I fix this? It just started and I have not applied any patches in a while so it's not that. Randymacfarland, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the fo...

NW6.5--User quota doesn't stick using iManager to create users
For those of you plagued with not getting user directory space restrictions to stick when creating users through iManager (when using a template), I was told that this fix was supposed to address the issue: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971622.htm Didn't work for me, but has anyone been able to get it to work? Chris, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: ...

creating users and home directory ownership
All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this on a large scale? why does this happen? one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1 /name=user1.context , but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every user. The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like ___*!___ ) what am i doing wrong? cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu wrote: > All of our users have me or another IT staff as owne...

Web resources about - Creating a Home Directory for a user in iManager - novell.support.imanager

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Researchers show how to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
... showed at the Black Hat security conference. The attack, called an SMB relay, causes a Windows computer that's part of an Active Directory ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...