FTP installation source broken after install

Greetings,

I know this is something stupid that I'm doing wrong but....I have some
older servers without DVD drives, so I set up a SLES10SP3 32-bit
installation folder on our ftp server, under the root in the
pub/sles10sp3 folder.  I coped all the files from the DVD there.  So the
install goes fine, I boot from the 32-bit CD, choose FTP during install
and configure the server and folder, anonymous access.  It finds all the
files and installs.  Then, once the install is done, anytime I access
anything with software I'm told it can't access the installation media,
when I go into the installation sources it says broken.  When I look at
the details I get:

Download (curl) error for
ftp://serverip/%2Fpub/sles10sp3/media.1/directory.yast
Error code: HTTP response 502
Error message: The requested URL returned error 502

Deleting it and trying to put it back doesn't work either.  Very
perplexed, since the installation went fine.  Help!?  Thanks.

--
jshorr

jshorr
4/29/2010 5:36:02 PM
novell.sles.configure 3559 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:36:02 GMT
jshorr <jshorr@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I know this is something stupid that I'm doing wrong but....I have
> some older servers without DVD drives, so I set up a SLES10SP3 32-bit
> installation folder on our ftp server, under the root in the
> pub/sles10sp3 folder.  I coped all the files from the DVD there.  So
> the install goes fine, I boot from the 32-bit CD, choose FTP during
> install and configure the server and folder, anonymous access.  It
> finds all the files and installs.  Then, once the install is done,
> anytime I access anything with software I'm told it can't access the
> installation media, when I go into the installation sources it says
> broken.  When I look at the details I get:
>
> Download (curl) error for
> ftp://serverip/%2Fpub/sles10sp3/media.1/directory.yast
> Error code: HTTP response 502
> Error message: The requested URL returned error 502
>
> Deleting it and trying to put it back doesn't work either.  Very
> perplexed, since the installation went fine.  Help!?  Thanks.

Hi
Sure your selecting ftp as the server type, seems strange to get a http
error? Is there a proxy involved?

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default

0
malcolmlewis
4/29/2010 5:53:35 PM
malcolmlewis;1968558 Wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:36:02 GMT
> jshorr <jshorr@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>

> > Greetings,
> >
> > I know this is something stupid that I'm doing wrong but....I have
> > some older servers without DVD drives, so I set up a SLES10SP3
> 32-bit
> > installation folder on our ftp server, under the root in the
> > pub/sles10sp3 folder.  I coped all the files from the DVD there.  So
> > the install goes fine, I boot from the 32-bit CD, choose FTP during
> > install and configure the server and folder, anonymous access.  It
> > finds all the files and installs.  Then, once the install is done,
> > anytime I access anything with software I'm told it can't access the
> > installation media, when I go into the installation sources it says
> > broken.  When I look at the details I get:
> >
> > Download (curl) error for
> > ftp://serverip/%2Fpub/sles10sp3/media.1/directory.yast
> > Error code: HTTP response 502
> > Error message: The requested URL returned error 502
> >
> > Deleting it and trying to put it back doesn't work either.  Very
> > perplexed, since the installation went fine.  Help!?  Thanks.
> >

> Hi
> Sure your selecting ftp as the server type, seems strange to get a
> http
> error? Is there a proxy involved?
>
> --
> Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
> up 14 days 5:26, 4 users, load average: 0.42, 0.18, 0.28
> GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

Yes, I just realized this a few seconds after I wrote this, my proxy
configuration is causing this problem.  I did not enter my local
networks into the No Proxy.  So I was able to get around it by entering
the IP address of the ftp server in the No Proxy.  It looks like it
won't let you enter in a range of addresses though.

--
jshorr
jshorr's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=7048

0
jshorr
4/29/2010 6:16:03 PM
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:16:03 GMT
jshorr <jshorr@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Yes, I just realized this a few seconds after I wrote this, my proxy
> configuration is causing this problem.  I did not enter my local
> networks into the No Proxy.  So I was able to get around it by
> entering the IP address of the ftp server in the No Proxy.  It looks
> like it won't let you enter in a range of addresses though.
Hi
Sounds like your all sorted then?

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

0
malcolmlewis
4/29/2010 6:24:26 PM
malcolmlewis;1968578 Wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:16:03 GMT
> jshorr <jshorr@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I just realized this a few seconds after I wrote this, my proxy
> > configuration is causing this problem.  I did not enter my local
> > networks into the No Proxy.  So I was able to get around it by
> > entering the IP address of the ftp server in the No Proxy.  It looks
> > like it won't let you enter in a range of addresses though.
> Hi
> Sounds like your all sorted then?
>
> --
> Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
> up 14 days 6:05, 4 users, load average: 0.15, 0.16, 0.33
> GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

Pretty much, but if you know of a way to add a subnet to the NO PROXY
list that would be sweet :)