Netware FTP vs. OES2L FTP

Guys, running Netware FTP for customers to dump some files via FTP to my
NSS volumes.

Does this really work exactly the same with OES2 Linux FTP (pure-ftpd)
?

Can a user login with eDir account and get right into there homedir on
the NSS volume on OES2 Linux? Or other common NSS volume/dir.

Cheers,
Anders

Technical Consultant
KERFI AB, Sweden

andben
9/2/2009 7:36:01 AM
novell.oes.linux.admin 2944 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Yes, using pure-ftpd on OES2 Linux, you can get access to NSS volumes
using an eDirectory user.

'Novell Documentation'
(http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/oes_implement_lx_nw/?page=/documentation/oes2/oes_implement_lx_nw/data/filesv-overview.html#bby1dwg)

--
TitanXV
TitanXV's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=57675

0
TitanXV
9/2/2009 3:26:02 PM
With NetWare, you can login to one server and access files on another
server via NCP.  This is not possible with OES2 Linux.  You'll need to
configure FTP on each server you need access to.

--
TitanXV
TitanXV's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=57675
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385026

0
TitanXV
9/2/2009 3:26:03 PM
Or wait for OES2 SP2, which is supposed to finally, after 4+ years of OES,
port that functionality over.

"TitanXV" <TitanXV@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> With NetWare, you can login to one server and access files on another
> server via NCP.  This is not possible with OES2 Linux.  You'll need to
> configure FTP on each server you need access to.

0
youngec

--
dpartrid
dpartrid's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385026

0
dpartrid
10/9/2009 9:26:02 PM
dpartrid wrote:
> ecyoung;1851532 Wrote:
>> Or wait for OES2 SP2, which is supposed to finally, after 4+ years of
>> OES,
>> port that functionality over.
>>
>> My understanding is that OES 2 SP2 is supposed to port *part* of that
>> functionality over.  It should allow you to *CD* to a different
>> server/ncp volume after FTP login is done.  But it won't put you in a
>> *home dir* on a different server/ncp volume.  You'll still first be
>> placed in a local home dir, according to your linux profile's home dir
>> setting.

Yes I had both working the latter pureftp was a real pain to setup with
edir but it worked.
Th only cavet I found is that users must have a home foolder on ftplogin
to navigate. I implementated auto-home. for this to work.
# Automatically create home directories if they are missing

CreateHomeDir               yes

# Enable virtual quotas. The first number is the max number of files.
# The second number is the max size of megabytes.
# So 1000:10 limits every user to 1000 files and 10 Mb.

Quota                       1000:10

I just hope the qutoa only applies to the localhome and not the NCP file
permissions. I am pretty sure that is the case.
0
DrumDude
1/18/2010 2:32:08 PM
>implemented auto-home for this to work.

Yes, with that, pure-ftpd itself still believes it is talking to a
local path, not a remote path.  Your auto-home layer it taking care of
the remoting mounting behind the scenes, transparent to the pure-ftpd
layer.

--
dpartrid
dpartrid's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385026

0
dpartrid
2/4/2010 2:36:02 AM
This is what the Novell documentation says about the new features in
OES2 SP2.

1.3.9 PureFTP

Gateway parity with NetWare.

However I can't immediately find which package provides this? (I admit
I only looked very quickly)

The way I understand it if you install "Novell" FTP on OES2 it installs
pure-ftpd and the novell-pure-ftpd-config which is only a shell script
that modifies pam/nss to make your FTP logins point to LDAP by using
pam_nam (edirectory)

How/when is this mounting of 'remote' directories implemented?

--
leraly
leraly's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3974
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385026

0
leraly
2/12/2010 3:16:02 PM
>Gateway parity with NetWare.
>However I can't immediately find which package provides this?

I wouldn't describe what is available now as "Gateway parity with
Netware," since only part of what NetWare FTP could do is available so
far.  However, to answer your question, it was done in the pure-ftpd
package.

>How/when is this mounting of 'remote' directories implemented?

After you have applied OES 2 SP2, then you have to set "remote_server
yes" in /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf.

For more info, see:
'Novell Documentation'
(http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes2/oes_implement_lx_nw/?page=/documentation/oes2/oes_implement_lx_nw/data/bn0rvzm.html)

--
dpartrid
dpartrid's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=18260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=385026

0
dpartrid

FTP to FTP
Lately I've been seeing scans show up of a port 21 trying to connect to my port 21 (I am not, BTW, running an FTP server). Is this just someone trying to use my IP as the middleman in an FTP bounce attack, assuming my port 21 had been open and with a writeable FTP directory? http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1997-27.html ...

FTP
Is there anything like Netware-FTP (NWFTPD.NLM) in an OES-Linux environment? Specificially we need the ability to do Remote Server Access (sometimes referred to as a FTP gateway, I think), documented here: http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes/ftp_enu/data/a3ep22p.html#fbhccgdg I recently read the 11/30/06 Novell press release about OES 2.0, "The next version will complete the shift to workgroup services running completely on the Linux platform. Open Enterprise Server 2 will make traditional NetWare workgroup services run on Linux as well or better than they do on NetWar...

FTP on OES Linux
I have an older OES linux server (SPIdent says SP1 plus updates) that is used as an FTP server (vsftpd). Everything works okay in as far as LUM enabling groups and users is fine and users can logon and transfer files. However, it's been getting progressively slower as more and more LUM users and LUM groups are configured. Uploads have slowed to a crawl (18 to 60 kbs) where it used to be 200 to 300 kbs). Also, running a long listing (ls -la) takes minutes before any output is displayed to the screen. So, having not looked at this box much in 3 years other than adding account...

is SAMBA server a ftp server, if not what is the name of ftp server in linux?
Title explains it all, I want to configure and use a ftp server :) -- yasar11732 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Samba allows for file sharing with Windows system. You designate folders which you want to appear as shares to Windows clients on a network. It also includes tools to allow your Linux box to access windows shares on windows systems. If you want to set up an ftp server you might want to look at vsftpd and proftpd - both are available in Yast. There are many tutorials on installing these. Cheers, Lews Therin ...

Using Linux to FTP to NetWare 6
Hello everyone, We have an external agency that FTPs to our NetWare 6 server on a daily basis. I just received an email from them yesterday stating that they had just changed their operating system to Linux and now they cannot see the directories on our server. They can see the NW6 box, but they cannot see the directories/files. Are there any configuration changes I need to make on the NW6 server to enable folks running Linux to successfully FTP into the server? Thanks! Psfowler1, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That c...

OES Linux or OES Netware?
I have what I hope is a simple question. Is OES Linux up to the task or should I go with OES Netware for now and OES Linux at a later time (or version)? Were a small office of 20 people max. We use the current Netware (v6) as a file and print server, but I am planning on using GroupWise 7 after SP 1 is released. We also have a Windows SBS 2000 server that is only used for SQL Server. Matthew wrote: > I have what I hope is a simple question. Is OES Linux up to the task or > should I go with OES Netware for now and OES Linux at a later time (or > version)? > ...

How to install FTP on OES Netware 6.6/SP5 ?
Hello! I'm trying to configure FTPD on our server. I have a sys:\etc\nftpserv.cfg file, I also have the option to configure it under iManager (version 2.5.20051102) under File Protocols/FTP but I can't seem to locate NWFTPD.NLM ! I can't believe it didn't get installed, but that appears to be the case, since FTPStart.NCF can't locate NWFTPD. How do I resolve this and get NWFTPD installed? It doesn't appear anywhere in the SP5 service pack for NW 6.5. Thanks! -Michael Michael Regoli, > Hello! I'm trying to configure FTPD on our ser...

FTP Ports open, but no FTP
Hi I have a win 2000 server set up as a web server with several IP adresses (6 total). I am running FTP service on two of these, but when I port scan, all of the IP's have port 21 open. Is this normal? My other services like SMTP and WEB only shows up on the IP's they are supposed to. If I try to connect with my FTP client on one of the IP's that is not set up to run FTP it just says: "Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message." and then after a while I get a timeout. Is it normal or are some nasty Trojan listening and waiting for the right commands to...

NetStorage vs FTP (vs. OpenSSH?)
I'd like some general opinions about which is better in terms of reliability, speed, and security between NetStorage and FTP. Obviously another option is to use OpenSSH but let's focus on NetStorage vs. Novell FTP for now. Thanks! Bryen yyuko@yahoo.com wrote: > I'd like some general opinions about which is better in terms of > reliability, speed, and security between NetStorage and FTP. Obviously > another option is to use OpenSSH but let's focus on NetStorage vs. Novell > FTP for now. Security will go to netstorage. Nwftpd supports ssl, b...

Active FTP over FTP Proxy
Hi All Is it at all possible to have Active FTP going over a bordermanager 3.8 FTP Proxy . . ?? cheers Joel Hi, joel@radio929.fm wrote: > > Hi All > > Is it at all possible to have Active FTP going over a bordermanager 3.8 FTP Proxy . . ?? AFAIK, no. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

WebDAV vs. FTP vs. File
Hi everyone It's about sharing calendars again... I have one calendar on a WebDav server which I (alone) access from different computers. I have a calendar on a local file server which is accessed by a dozen different people at the same time (more or less) writing and reading. I have a Calendar on a Webserver to access via ftp or http (only reading). Most people here recommend WebDav for calendar sharing. What are the cons of a ics-file on a mounted filesystem? Are there any troubles to be expectet if different people write to it at the same time? Greetings, Jan Se...

FTP, FTP Server to ServerTtransfer
Hi, is it possibel to use FTP Server/Server transfer. I have a UnixWare Server that want to do a FTP Server transfer from the Novell 5.0 Server to UnixWare, but it does not work. Is there something to add to the configuration ? bye Boris H�rtgen > I have a UnixWare Server that want to do a FTP Server transfer from the > Novell 5.0 Server to UnixWare, but it > does not work. > Should work. Do you have FTP services setup on your NW5 server? -- Andy Thompson Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp ...

FTP on Netware
--____OWVIWLJGHODRNVKCZTRO____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a Netware 6.5 SP3 server which uses FTP services. Does netware use = active ftp? I only see configurations for passive FTP. I looked in the = ftpserv.cfg file and only see the following options #Minimum Port Number for Passive Connection. Default value is 1 #PASSIVE_PORT_MIN=3D1 #Maximum Port Number for Passive Connection. Default value is 65534 #PASSIVE_PORT_MAX=3D65534 If it can support Active FTP how to I configure it? Thanks Cynthia Cynt...

FTP
Upgrade to Netware 6.5 sp7. Trying to configure FTP through iManager. Get the message "Could not configure to specified server" Any ideas? -- estropes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The only thing I found for this problem is the following forum thread: http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/open-enterprise-server/oes-netware/oes-nw-install-upgrade/137186-troiuble-setting-up-ftp.html I don't know if it is helpful to you. -- Marcel Cox (Sysop) Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums...

Web resources about - Netware FTP vs. OES2L FTP - novell.oes.linux.admin

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ