alter the volume of home directories of hundreds of users

Hi,

I want to alter the volumes of home directories of
hundreds of users.

In C1 the "home" volume is defined under
- User - Properties - General - Environment
   => HomeDir
      => volume: Server1_DATA.Context
      => path:  home\testuser.

Here I want to change the volume from "Server1_DATA.Context"
to "Server2_DATA2.Context2" in hundreds of user objects.

Exists a tool for such a job?

If I select all these users and klick on "Properties
of Multiple Objects", I can define the same volume for
all users but the path is empty and
"home\%LOGIN_NAME" or "home\%CN" do not work.

Any ideas?

Thx
Bernhard

0
Bernhard
3/17/2009 2:10:32 PM
novell.oes.linux.admin 2944 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The JRB utilities have one for this job, called Home IIRC. 'Utilities
for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software' (http://www.jrbsoftware.com/)

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=364211

0
ataubman
3/17/2009 10:46:01 PM

ataubman schrieb:
> The JRB utilities have one for this job, called Home IIRC. 'Utilities
> for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software' (http://www.jrbsoftware.com/)

.... it's not free of charge.
Exits any freeware?
0
Bernhard
3/18/2009 6:17:36 AM
This one ?, http://www.novell.com/communities/node/170/homes-30608

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
Dave Parkes schrieb:
> This one ?, http://www.novell.com/communities/node/170/homes-30608
>
> Cheers Dave

thx - I'll try
0
Bernhard
3/18/2009 11:17:37 AM
It would take some work creating the necessary files but ICE should do
the trick.

Good luck.

--
dwjameson
dwjameson's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=2639
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=364211

0
dwjameson
3/19/2009 5:56:13 PM
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:56:13 +0000, dwjameson wrote:

> It would take some work creating the necessary files but ICE should do
> the trick.
>
> Good luck.

In my humble opinion the best way to tackle this is to write a Perl
script that leverages Net::LDAP in order to achieve this. Once you've
gone to the effort of doing something like this you will find that you
can use it for other such jobs over and over again with relatively small
modifications.

That's how I did it for my system and it worked very well. I can give you
some example code should you wish. Also once you've polished up your Perl
skills you can then use Novell's VFS to start manipulating the NSS file
system (directory trustees and quotas) too and this way you can automate
heaps of stuff.

Simon
0
Simon
4/19/2009 2:25:02 AM
Simon,

thanks for your offer. Great!!
Please can you post/mail some examples?

Best regards
Bernhard

Simon Tideswell schrieb:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:56:13 +0000, dwjameson wrote:
>
>> It would take some work creating the necessary files but ICE should do
>> the trick.
>>
>> Good luck.
>
> In my humble opinion the best way to tackle this is to write a Perl
> script that leverages Net::LDAP in order to achieve this. Once you've
> gone to the effort of doing something like this you will find that you
> can use it for other such jobs over and over again with relatively small
> modifications.
>
> That's how I did it for my system and it worked very well. I can give you
> some example code should you wish. Also once you've polished up your Perl
> skills you can then use Novell's VFS to start manipulating the NSS file
> system (directory trustees and quotas) too and this way you can automate
> heaps of stuff.
>
> Simon
0
Bernhard