WinXP: Tree or server not found or no drive mappings after reboot or workstation crash

Hello,

we have 350 PC�s with Win NT SP6, Win2k SP3 and WinXP SP1. The problem
is
only present on machines with Windows XP. Our Novell
Servers are two Netware 6 SP3 server with latest patches and
configured
SLP with one DA in the Tree. Zenworks 4 is also running on one server.

Our Login problems are very strange. The following possibilities i
have
seen on some workstations:

1. User want to login in the morning and gets the error "Tree or
server
not found" then he restarted the pc 5 to 6 times and then he can login

without error. All the times before he gets this error or no drive
mappings (see 2.)

2. Workstation crash and user wants to login: User can login but then
he
get error codes in the login script 8884 or 8885 or 886f and no drive
mappings. At all these error codes is the message "access denied" in
the
login script to read.When he closed the login script and wait for 1 or
2
minutes he can login through the RED N and Network Login without error
and
user is happy.
Also "Tree or server not found" is possible, then wait 2 - 5 minutes
and
then the login runs without problems.

3. Workstation reboot and login is fine. No errors

4. Workstation reboot and no error messages but the login script was
not
executed, without any error messages. He can login through the RED N
and
Network Login without error and all mappings are ok.

We have 3Com Switch with spanning tree disabled and the ports with
Auto
Configuration configured. Our clients have 3com Nics with latest
drivers
installed and auto negotiation enabled.

In Monitor on the console of the server I can see that the connection
for
the workstation is still open. When I clear it manually the user can
login
without problem. The Bootup time from our XP Workstations to the login

screen is actually 20 seconds. I setup the watchdog parameters on the

server to:

Number Of Watchdog Packets 5
Delay Between Watchdog Packets 10 seconds
Delay Before First Watchdog Packet 20 seconds

My opinion is that the server is to slow to end the active connection

before the workstation is restarted.

I�ve read most entries in KB and Forum for this problems but nothing
helped at this time.

Please give me some hints to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks

Michael
Administrator
Hengst GmbH/Germany

0
de

On 3COM Switches, you also have to disable IGMP Snooping. This often
helps
when you get the "Tree or server not found" error.

Cheers,

Michel

> [...]

drivers
installed and auto negotiation enabled.

In Monitor on the console of the server I can see that the connection
for
the workstation is still open. When I clear it manually the user can
login
without problem. The Bootup time from our XP Workstations to the login

screen is actually 20 seconds. I setup the watchdog parameters on the

server to:

Number Of Watchdog Packets 5
Delay Between Watchdog Packets 10 seconds
Delay Before First Watchdog Packet 20 seconds

My opinion is that the server is to slow to end the active connection

before the workstation is restarted.

I�ve read most entries in KB and Forum for this problems but nothing
helped at this time.

Please give me some hints to troubleshoot this problem.

11/6/2003 12:30:58 PM
Hello,

thanks for your reply.

i�ve prooved this on all switches and IGMP Snooping is already
disabled.

Michael

Administrator
Hengst GmbH/Germany

> [...]

connection
for
> the workstation is still open. When I clear it manually the user can

login
> without problem. The Bootup time from our XP Workstations to the
login
> screen is actually 20 seconds. I setup the watchdog parameters on
the
> server to:
>
> Number Of Watchdog Packets 5
> Delay Between Watchdog Packets 10 seconds
> Delay Before First Watchdog Packet 20 seconds
>
> My opinion is that the server is to slow to end the active
connection
> before the workstation is restarted.
>
> I�ve read most entries in KB and Forum for this problems but nothing

> helped at this time.
>
> Please give me some hints to troubleshoot this problem.

0
de
11/6/2003 1:23:21 PM
To isolate this to a SLP issue, please replace the server name with
its
IP address when the problem occurs. You can leave this setting for a
couple
of days for better testing. Modify this setting under Novell Client
Properties | Location Profiles | Default | Properties | Properties |
NDS.

If the problem is solved by using IP address, then we can troubleshoot
SLP
on the server and clients.

If the problem continues by using IP address, then it's not a SLP
issue. We
will need to investigate Switch configuration | Cabling | Protocols
running
on clients and server among other things.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0
Edison
11/6/2003 2:56:57 PM
Hello,

i�ve tried this and it solved not the problem.
Our Winxp clients have installed with IP only. Our Server runs IPX and
IP
because there are Printboxes and NT-Clients that run only with IPX.

Thanks

Michael
Administrator
Hengst GmbH/Germany

> To isolate this to a SLP issue, please replace the server name with
its
> IP address when the problem occurs. You can leave this setting for a

couple
> of days for better testing. Modify this setting under Novell Client

> Properties | Location Profiles | Default | Properties | Properties |
NDS.

> If the problem is solved by using IP address, then we can
troubleshoot
SLP
> on the server and clients.
>
> If the problem continues by using IP address, then it's not a SLP
issue.
We
> will need to investigate Switch configuration | Cabling | Protocols

running
> on clients and server among other things.
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
de
11/7/2003 9:22:27 AM
> i�ve tried this and it solved not the problem.

You tried using the IP address and it did not solve the problem ?
Then, it's not a SLP issue. Let's check connectivity from the PC
to the server while the problem occurs by pinging the server. Do
you get any replies from the server ?

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Support Connection SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Edison
11/7/2003 3:08:55 PM
Hello,

i can ping the server with ip-address and name without error. When i
click
the red N and go to "netware connections" the server is not in the
list.

I also can see the server in the Network environment on my XP-client
but
when i want to access it i get an error that i have no rights to
access
it. But i make this with admin rights.

At this morning the problem is still the same, but I wait two minutes

after last try and then all is fine and i can access server and
volumes.

Greetings

Michael
Administrator
Hengst GmbH/Germany

> > i�ve tried this and it solved not the problem.
>
> You tried using the IP address and it did not solve the problem ?
> Then, it's not a SLP issue. Let's check connectivity from the PC
> to the server while the problem occurs by pinging the server. Do
> you get any replies from the server ?
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Support Connection SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
de
11/10/2003 8:16:39 AM
Please post the output from SLPINFO /ALL when the workstation is
having
problems. Also post the SLPINFO /ALL from a working workstation.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Support Connection SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Edison
11/10/2003 2:13:51 PM
The only solution I 've founded is to use the hibernation of windows XP.

It's a temporary solution. I want a real solution.

If you find another solution, can you help me, please?

0
manuel_clm
1/12/2006 8:38:06 AM
Manuel,

If XP is regularly crashing you'll want to investigate and address that
issue first.

Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare services/names over IP?
If so, masking any info. you might consider a security hazard please post
the results of SLPINFO /A run from the command-prompt on a Windows
workstation.

Usually having the proper firewall ports open, SLPDAs setup for redundancy
and minimizing the number of network clients/GINAs on Windows is enough to
prevent the most common errors.  As each environment is different some
additional tweaking may be necessary.
In the past (e.g. clients 4.83 - 4.90 SP1), these settings were used to
avoid the "Tree or server not found" error, but its possible one of the
others could apply to your issue.  One of the sysops here discovered that
setting the "Check SRVLOC loaded Retries" value to around 9-10 for that
particular issue helped.

What UDP ports does SLP need?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10079087.htm

NetWare Client registry settings to control the behavior of SLP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086052.htm

This Windows XP SP2 firewall and SLP configuration exception may be
necessary, but as stated is not recommended...

Error: 886f returned in the login script.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10096549.htm

Server or Tree not found after applying Windows XP sp2
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10095407.htm

You can also use TCPView to see what processes are trying to connect over...
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

Some people have recommended to update the TCPIP stack (TCP update) on
NetWare in regards to unusual disconnects...

Random errors in login script when attempting to login
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10093394.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

0
Tony
1/12/2006 2:46:44 PM
I was experiencing the same problem here, I upgraded to the sp2
release of the client and set the Bad Address Cache Timeout to 0 and
disabled the Bad Server Name Cache.  There are 3 settings under the
advanced properties for this, I set both timeouts to 0 and disabled
the Bad Server Name Cache.  I did it with the administration tool
prior to rolling out the service pack and then added acu to the forced
run group in our zenworks to push it out to all of our XP and 2k
machines.  All of the machines that have updated are working
flawlessly now.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:38:06 GMT, manuel_clm@yahoo.fr wrote:

>The only solution I 've founded is to use the hibernation of windows XP.
>
>It's a temporary solution. I want a real solution.
>
>If you find another solution, can you help me, please?
0
John

Cannot map drive to Netware server
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to map a drive to a Netware 6 SP3 server from a Windows 2003 = server. When attempting to map, I receive a "connect as" dialog in Windows = for username/password. It will only connect if I use the distinguished = name, not the common name of the user. The Netware server has no replica, = so I added a R/W replica that contains the user object I'm logging in as - = and a couple others for good measure. No change. The W2K3 server has n...

XP
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have several XP clients that are having issues with logging in. It = seems like a timing issue. I have a user that will enter his password = then click "ok" - he gets the tree or server not found error, clicks "no" = (when asked to log into workstation)...then ok again to login in, error, = no, ok...after a few tries the client will log in. This can probably be = duplicated on all workstations. I have not verified this but I believe if ...

Scheduling on NetWare server drive mappings
Hi, I am trying to get VisualCron scheduler and/or built-in Windows Scheduled tasks to interact with my drive mappings. I am running XP Pro with NetWare client 4.91SP2 and have several mappings from profile and personal login script. Now the test is: - Create a batch file accessing files or programs on mapped drives 1) Executed from a command prompt everything is fine 2) Executed from either scheduler the drive mappings does not seem to be valid. In some cases the equivalent UNC path can be substituted with success. Any ideas?? TIA - Claus, DK You need to make sure the ...

XP reboot executing from mapped drive
I am experiencing XP reboots when I attempt to execute a file stored in a mapped drive, but only when using the Novell Client. The machine in question had been running XP Pro SP1 with Client 4.90 SP1 successfully for a long time. After updating to client 4.91 I ran for weeks without noticing a problem. When I applied XP SP2 I first noticed it, but I cannot say for sure whether it was broken before I also added Mcafee Internet Security Suite 2005. I tried applying the 4.91 SP1, uninstallling the client and re-installing 4.90 SP1, removing Windows SP2, and disabling McAfee. The pro...

xp logon returns server or tree not found
We are using Windows XP Professional, installed with Novell client 4.90 sp1, and the Novell Server is 6.5. Whenever we login, it gives error that the Server or tree not found choose another tree, but we login into the xp professional choosing Workstation option and after a while may be 30 to 60 mins, we could login using the Novell login by right clicking the N icon on the taskbar. Does the latest version of 4.90 does not support 6.5 login or we need to update anything, pls advise thks, Ben, SSE On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:56:29 GMT, tbenann@nuinet.com wrote: >...

Netware 6 and XP not remembering a drive mapping
I was wondering if someone has a clue how to fix this problem? I have Netware 6 Client 4.83 on WinXP. I have two servers with separate trees. If I log into the main server I get all the drive mappings expected. I want to also have a drive mapped to the other server. I use the client to map to the server. I can view the files and do anything with them. But when I reboot the connection does not reconnect. If I click on the drive in windows explorer than everything reconnects. It just doesn't do it automatically. How can I get winXP to remember the connection automatically? ...

permanently mapping a netware drive to a windows server
What's the best way to make sure a Netware mapped folder is always mapped to a Windows server, even if you log out? Thanks, Mark :-) On 6/20/2005 Mark Miller wrote: > What's the best way to make sure a Netware mapped folder is always mapped to > a Windows server, even if you log out? I believe you mean, making a permanent *network* Windows drive mapping. I believe you can with NET USE with the 'persistent' option but best to ask in the Microsoft forum for further detail since it has nothing to do with the NetWare. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product ...

crashed server, netware 4.11, to be removed from the tree
I have a 4.11 Netware system. A server called "server_name" crashed. The server contained a RW replica, not the master replica and not the partition. About every 20 min. I keep getting the following message: "date" "time" DS-6.11-47 Severity = 1 Locus = 17 Class = 19 Unable to communicate with server "server_name" I would like to remove the server from the tree and also to get rid of the message. Could you please help ? Thanks odavidov@health.nyc.gov wrote: > I would like to remove the server from the tree and also to...

XP workstation dropping connections to Netware 6 server..
Hello there, I have an XP workstation that is dropping connections to an IP only netware 6 server. The problem is occurring with client 4.9 SP1 and SP2. Basically, the user can login just fine and all drive mappings are present. However, after about 10 to 15 minutes, the user will get the following message when trying to access a mapped drive: H:\ Is not accessible. The specified network name is no longer available. This is machine specific. The user can login to other machines with no issues. Also, I have been told another port in the switch was tried as well as a new N...

Client 4.9 for XP -Tree or Server cannot be found!
I have just upgraded my Client to 4.9 on a new laptop. I have a Novell 6.0 SB server running pure IP. I cannot get logged in since the update. Any Ideas Thanks Ron Is SLP configured? Try increasing the Wait for DA setting if it is. Be sure to get the latest 4.9 patches - http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/pub/49pkb.exe Ron Boetger wrote: > I have just upgraded my Client to 4.9 on a new laptop. I have a > Novell 6.0 SB server running pure IP. I cannot get logged in since > the update. > > Any Ideas > > Thanks > > R...

Netware 4.11 and XP Pro
I have a Netware 4.11 server (never patched). Am adding a new computer with XP Pro installed. I was able to get this machine to see another 4.11 Server at a different location (after much ado). I have set the network address and the protocol is set to 802.2. After many hours, I still cannot get this thing to see the server. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kathy Kathy, first off, a 4.11 server SHOULD be patched. At the very least, SP6a, and if it is not a Small Business server (IWSB 4.11 or NWSB 4.11) then it should be patched to SP9. Second, which client? ...

how to remove crashed server netware 6.5 from the tree
I have two server netware 6.5 , one have a MAster replica (server1) and the other have a RW replica (server2). I have crashed the sever netware 6.5 that holding a RW Replica. This server will never be turned back and so I want to remove it . On the console of the sever1 , appears " unable to communicate with server .server2." how can I do to eliminate this error message? Please what can I do? please, can you outline the steps to do or where the link is the documentation? I have read something but I not sure ... I have not understand very well. What I understood...

unable to login to netware 6.5 server
I seem to have a big problem logging into a netware 6.5 server with the latest service pack installed. When I try to login I get tree could not be found, I then logon locally, logoff and login again with netware and I can login with no issues. Any idea's what could be causing this issue? John, > When I try to login I get tree could not be found, I then logon locally, > logoff and login again with netware and I can login with no issues. When that happens, try blanking out the tree field and enter the server IP in the server field. Does it work then? If it doe...

How to use netware login script to map drive to a windows server
--____JWPPEFNLYGJAKOPCUWYG____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 29 Apr 2011 02:50:10 -0400" Can I use netware login script to map to a windows share? --____JWPPEFNLYGJAKOPCUWYG____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____RGPHCKZPYTVYEYPHJWMV____" --____RGPHCKZPYTVYEYPHJWMV____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 29 Apr 2011 02:50:...

Web resources about - WinXP: Tree or server not found or no drive mappings after reboot or workstation crash - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Workstation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of computer. For workstations in music production, see music workstation . For furniture, see cubicle and computer ...

Workstation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of computer. For workstations in music production, see music workstation . For furniture, see cubicle and computer ...

App Store - iCAS — Workstation-class scientific computing for iOS devices!
Get iCAS — Workstation-class scientific computing for iOS devices! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

workstation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
i tend to photograph trin from above. possibly because she is little. colour

Citrix WinFrame 1.8 upgrade from Windows NT 3.51 Workstation - YouTube
This is my recording of doing an in place upgrade of the elusive Citrix WinFrame 1.8 version of Windows NT 3.51. I was able to do an in place ...

Active workstations
Active workstations mean we can burn calories and stay active while we sit.

Active workstations
Active workstations mean we can burn calories and stay active while we sit.

Active workstations
Active workstations mean we can burn calories and stay active while we sit.

Active workstations
Active workstations mean we can burn calories and stay active while we sit.

Fusion-IO Brings Flash Madness To Workstations, And Movies Like 'Hugo'
... the founding member of the AllThingsD Flash Madness Club , last summer’s hot IPO , said today it is bringing its flash technology to workstations. ...