Windows XP x64 Netware client?

Any word on this yet?

I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it...

Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April!

0
John

> I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it...
>
> Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April!

John,

So did you see this post by Hamish ?

> From what I've seen its because the API's and interface keep changing
> right up until the release date. A beta client that works with beta 1 of
> the OS won't work with Beta 2, a beta 2 client won't work with the First
> Releae Candidate .... until the target stops moving, Novell will restrict
> testing to internal processes. Once the target stands still, a client will
> be released asap, then patches will come out to correct the changes that
> were missed.
>
> Vista apparently doesn't include a Netware client - one only presumes that
> they couldn't keep up with the changes internally.
>

> --
> Hamish Speirs

0
Peter
11/1/2005 7:50:27 PM
>> Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April!

Sorry, I mixed up XP and Vista.

Peter

0
Peter
11/1/2005 7:52:02 PM
I was recently asked by Novell if my clients would prefer a client for
XP64 or Vista.  At least this shows there is interest in building one.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

"I have the body of a god, unfortunately it's Buddah"
- T-shirt quote
0
Timothy
11/2/2005 12:41:03 AM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:

> I was recently asked by Novell if my clients would prefer a client for
> XP64 or Vista.  At least this shows there is interest in building one.

Hope dies last, eh? ;-)

Honestly: Any idea if the developers start coding an XP Win64 client?
ETA?

<very curious>

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
11/6/2005 6:24:41 PM
> Honestly: Any idea if the developers start coding an XP Win64 client?
> ETA?

Don't know, and rumor is that the APIs keep changing.  Personally, I
would not start coding at least until the APIs lock up.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

"I have the body of a god, unfortunately it's Buddah"
- T-shirt quote
0
Timothy
11/7/2005 12:28:24 AM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:
>>Honestly: Any idea if the developers start coding an XP Win64 client?
>>ETA?
>

> Don't know, and rumor is that the APIs keep changing.  Personally, I
> would not start coding at least until the APIs lock up.

IIRC that's been happening with Vista, not WinXP x64 (WinXP x64 has been released).

-Sandy
0
Sandy
11/7/2005 2:40:54 AM
yeah, XP x64 been out since April 05... Wonder if Novell simply aren't going
to make a x64 client and wait for Vista before they do...

"Sandy" <sandy@nojunkplease.net> wrote in message
> Timothy Leerhoff wrote:
>>>Honestly: Any idea if the developers start coding an XP Win64 client?
>>>ETA?
>>

>> Don't know, and rumor is that the APIs keep changing.  Personally, I
>> would not start coding at least until the APIs lock up.
>
> IIRC that's been happening with Vista, not WinXP x64 (WinXP x64 has been
> released).
>
> -Sandy

0
John
11/7/2005 2:59:42 AM
John wrote on 2005-11-07 13:59:
> yeah, XP x64 been out since April 05... Wonder if Novell simply aren't going
> to make a x64 client and wait for Vista before they do...

Probably. I imagine there's quite a bit of work required for the 64-bit client, and as a
lot of it will also need to be done for Vista... and it's probably the same developers
that would be working on both.

-Sandy
0
Sandy
11/8/2005 1:09:26 PM
Sandy wrote:

> John wrote on 2005-11-07 13:59:
>> yeah, XP x64 been out since April 05... Wonder if Novell simply aren't
>> going to make a x64 client and wait for Vista before they do...
>
> Probably. I imagine there's quite a bit of work required for the 64-bit
> client, and as a lot of it will also need to be done for Vista... and it's
> probably the same developers that would be working on both.

Novell use to be a "can do" company.  I remember when they were the first to
find a way to get the '286 to reliably switch back and forth between real
and protected mode when Digital Research claimed that it couldn't be done.
Novell used to connect anything to anything--need Macs to talk to an
System/36, sure, we can do that.  Need to throw a VAX into the mix, sure,
we can do that.  Mainframe?  No problem.  That attitude seems to have been
lost, and I find that to be sad.

I'm finding it very, very difficult at this point to justify a continued
relationship with Novell, and I'm going to miss it--Novell has been a part
of my life in one way or another since some fellow handed me a red box and
asked me if I could install it on an 8088 machine and I said, without
understanding what I was in for, "sure".  Novell today is not what Novell
was then--I think back when they tried to become a second Microsoft they
lost their way and have never really found it again.

Sorry for the rant.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

> Sorry for the rant.

Your rant is a "mirror" of "the deepest from my heart" !

But this propably is the wrong place to drop your rant. The chance that one of
the decision making people recognize is apprx. zero.

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
11/10/2005 9:58:57 PM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:

> > Honestly: Any idea if the developers start coding an XP Win64 client?
> > ETA?
>
> Don't know, and rumor is that the APIs keep changing.  Personally, I
> would not start coding at least until the APIs lock up.

As already answered, this was about *XP* Win64 support. IMHO this will be so
different from Vista for ever that the only similarity is the number 64. So
Novell should start coding *RIGHT* *NOW*.

If they wait, until Vista is out, they might go on waiting for SP1. Vista's OS
will be so different, that it can be expected, that the 1st SP might change
almost in each part of the OS APIs and everything.

BTW: One of my customers is just right now kicking NW6.0 instead of upgrading to
NW6.5 just because of this dumb "no XP-64 Client" story.

This is with ~ 300 licenses one of the larger companies in German relations: much
more than 95% of all working people work in companies 100 employees and below. So
this size *IS* the typical interesting market size.

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf

Netware Client and Windows XP x64 edition
Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 edition. It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with x64 ? On 9/16/2005 daveg@veem.com.au wrote: > Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 > edition. Not at the moment > It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with > x64 ? Correct. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Netware Client on MS Windows XP X64
I have a new AMD Athlon 64 Processor PC with MS Windows X64 edition installed on a nVidia nForce4 chipset motherboard. The machine seems to be operating properly in the network and I can browse the internet through a router. I have installed the NetWare client 4.91. The client does not load properly, in the files do not seem to be where the program expects them to be, and therefore the client fails to load on startup. Is there a work around? Is there a Win XP X64 version of the NetWare client? What are my options other than installing Win 32? Thank you for your time and ass...

XP pro with Netware and windows client
I have a user who used to logon to netware and then was prompted for a windows password. This worked fine. Recently all of a sudden it is now going straight to the windows logon. It is not part of a domain but a workgroup, There are windows 2003 servers in the network but not set up at all on this machine. Once I logon to windows It goes to netware and asked to logon to the netware network. I have to choose the server inwhich we only have one and then logon again. It is backwards to what I was doing before,. Please help. Thanks client. 4.9 and or 4.83 Burnabryan, Can ...

Netware/IP Client for Windows XP
Hello I have currently been given the task of making our Novell Netware 4.11 Server communicate over IP. I have read about the use of Netware/IP to encapsulate the IPX packets in an IP packet so that this form of communication can occur, and I have also read about the downfalls of it, and a move to a more recent server would be the ideal solution, but that isn't going to happen and I need to get this to work. Am I right in thinking that you need to set up the Netware Client on the PC's to connect to the Netware/IP server? Is this possible using the Client for XP. ...

Windows XP and NetWare Client Interoperability
We have several WinXP boxes with the most current service pack as well as the most current security updates from MS that had issues functioning with any version of client above 4.83sp1e. The solution for that issue was to install the 4.83sp1e client. However, now many of the boxes we fixed already as well as some additional ones aren't responding to this fix. The login scripts run perfectly and it appears that everything is fine, but when you try to access any of the mapped drives that point to NetWare volumes, explorer.exe locks up and you have to shutdown before the compu...

Windows XP Netware client performance / Speed
I've seen many questions posted here regarding running older Netware servers and Windows servers with both clients installed. Most answers point to the same set of websites. I've messed with all the registry hacks, etc. What really made the difference on my machine is posted below. BTW: This is WINXP PRO SP2, with NWClient 4.83SP3, Asus Gigabit NIC, 1Gb of RAM and P4 2.6Ghz Hyperthreading on. Right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. From the menu bar, select ADVANCED / ADVANCED SETTINGS... Under ADAPTERS AND BINDINGS, select the Connecti...

Windows XP Netware Client and DOS programs
Can anyone tell me the earliest client that works with Windows XP and where I can find a copy? I upgraded to 4.91 and it will not allow me to run one of my old DOS programs. I uninstalled it and it works just fine from XP alone (without the client). I then uninstalled 4.91 and installed client 4.83 SP2 and I have the same result. I guess I need to keep going back in time to the first client that works with XP. I run 3 old DOS programs, Wordstar 7.0 LAN, Foxpro 2.0 LAN and Borland Sprint. Only Sprint refuses to run, despite all kinds of machinations. Any help would be app...

NetWare 5 client on Windows XP machine??
Is there an update/apgrade for NW5 that will install a client on Windows XP box? Thanks! Larry On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:27:27 GMT, larry@sigmawebstudios.com wrote: >Is there an update/apgrade for NW5 that will install a client on Windows >XP box? The most recent Novell client for Windows XP (and the whole NT family) is 4.90 with SP2. Go to http://download.novell.com/pages/PublicSearch.jsp and select Novell Client as the product and Windows XP as the platform. If you have only NW 5.x servers, however, you may find 4.83 with SP3 easier to install. Unfortunately, I can...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Remove Netware Client 4.9 on Windows XP
I use a unattend.txt to do the install. Then I edit that file and add the DoRemove=YES and it looks like it works. But at the end I get a error saying: "The installation was not completed successfully". But if I reboot then it looks like everything is gone. I need some way of removing the client from about 800 workstations, and I would like some way of scripting it. I did a search on CoolSolutions and the knowledgebase and did not really come up with anything that helped. Thanks, Greg Marcom marcom@purdue.edu Technical Support Administrator Purdue University ...

netware 3.21 with windows xp Pro as client
Is there a solution without buying the latest Novell netware to allow my new Windows XP pro client computer to see the Newtware 3.21 server's workgroup? I did run the windows xp pro's netware installation, but it does not see any of the file server's files - not good. Download v4.83 with SP2 from: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html install it with Bindery options and 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Then apply SP3 patch from: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968055.htm -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum ...

Netware Client and Window XP Service pack to conflict
While setting up brand new machines recently I ran into the following problem. Machines=> HP/Compaq business d530. First I Updated a computer with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. After reboot the computer complained that I didn't have and anti-virus program installed, which I can install from our Novell server. So I then installed a netware client (4.83 sp 1). After the install of the client and reboot I attempted to log into our Netware server. At about the time the desktop icons should appear the machine simply turned off and rebooted. I could never log onto ...

Web resources about - Windows XP x64 Netware client? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

The Windows Blog

Windows 10 November Update mysteriously pulled, as concerns about bugs grow
Downloadable versions of Windows 10 version 1511, the November 2015 update, appear to have been removed after their release earlier this month ...

Windows 10 finally adds a new Path editor
The Path environment variable is an important setting which has been around since the days of DOS, yet for some reason Windows has always made ...

Macy's In San Francisco Featuring Adorable Adoptable Animals in Holiday Windows
... To check out adoptable animals or to see a LIVE STREAM check out the link: https://www.sfspca.org/get-involved/events/macys-holiday-windows ...

Half of all enterprises to start Windows 10 rollouts in the next year
Half of all enterprises will have at least started their rollouts of Windows 10 by January 2017, according to a Gartner report released Monday, ...

Minecraft Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition finally have redstone
... all I can do is kind of get a door to open when I get near it. Now you’ll finally be able to do some redstone wizardry on your mobile or Windows ...

Migration to Windows 10 to be fastest yet, says Gartner
Windows 10 is poised to become the most widely installed version of Windows ever, following on the path of Windows XP and Windows 7 before it, ...

Microsoft app tries to lure you from Android to a Windows phone
It's true that Windows Phone (and now Windows 10 Mobile) doesn't have as many apps as Android or iOS. However, the perception of that app deficit ...