I am having some odd problems with this combination. Most of our client
machines are W98 and the login script seems to work just fine. The new
Windows XP Pro computer I am trying to add to the network doesn't seem to
behave the same as my W2K Pro computers using the same Novell Client.

Login times and NetWare rescource access times were very long so I removed
the IP support from the Novell Client, specified the 802.3 frame used by
the 4.11 server and specified its actual network number in the NWLink
protocol settings. That helped one login user: everything worked nicely,
login time was acceptable and netware resources were quickly accessed. On
the other hand, when I logged in, the search drives and SET commands all
failed. Furthermore, any other users that tried to login were not able to
find the Windows Domain and couldn't login at all.

I erased the hard drive and did a clean install. The question is what is
the correct client to use? What should the settings be? and should I
expect a performance degradation compared to W2K?

Fred Todd
Network Administrator
The Audio Partners Inc

0
fred

All sounds about right, except no need to specify the IPX Network #.
This can be right.

Performance should be somewhat comprable to W2K.
You may want to make sure all users are local admins.
This may correct some of your issues.
Default XP security is slightly tighter than deault XP security and this may
explain some issues.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
6/21/2004 11:22:28 PM
Fred,

In addition to Craig's comments, people have reported issues with Simple File Sharing
being enabled so you may want to test disabling it...

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

How about trimming back some of the services as XP can be a hog?...

Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations

Beta SP2 for client 4.90 is looking like it'll have some additional services to offer when
its releasesd especially for those of us with newer Novell products.  In general, you'll
want to be aware of the latest updates as well as the beta ones too...

Production updates for 4.90
http://support.novell.com/filefinder/18193/index.html

Beta updates for 4.90 (beta can be and is better in some cases than production)
http://support.novell.com/filefinder/18193/beta.html

Beta SP2 for 4.90 is available for testing and is going well.  In addition to this forum,
report issues via the beta feedback link...
http://www.novell.com/beta/auth/beta.jsp?pid=7474&type=1

Both beta SP2 and the feedback section are available at the above link.  Should it not
work, go off the main beta site to get it...
http://www.novell.com/beta

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC