I am having some odd problems with this combination. Most of our client
machines are W98 and the login script seems to work just fine. The new
Windows XP Pro computer I am trying to add to the network doesn't seem to
behave the same as my W2K Pro computers using the same Novell Client.

Login times and NetWare rescource access times were very long so I removed
the IP support from the Novell Client, specified the 802.3 frame used by
the 4.11 server and specified its actual network number in the NWLink
protocol settings. That helped one login user: everything worked nicely,
login time was acceptable and netware resources were quickly accessed. On
the other hand, when I logged in, the search drives and SET commands all
failed. Furthermore, any other users that tried to login were not able to
find the Windows Domain and couldn't login at all.

I erased the hard drive and did a clean install. The question is what is
the correct client to use? What should the settings be? and should I
expect a performance degradation compared to W2K?

Fred Todd
Network Administrator
The Audio Partners Inc

0
fred

All sounds about right, except no need to specify the IPX Network #.
This can be right.

Performance should be somewhat comprable to W2K.
You may want to make sure all users are local admins.
This may correct some of your issues.
Default XP security is slightly tighter than deault XP security and this may
explain some issues.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
6/21/2004 11:22:28 PM
Fred,

In addition to Craig's comments, people have reported issues with Simple File Sharing
being enabled so you may want to test disabling it...

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

How about trimming back some of the services as XP can be a hog?...

Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations

Beta SP2 for client 4.90 is looking like it'll have some additional services to offer when
its releasesd especially for those of us with newer Novell products.  In general, you'll
want to be aware of the latest updates as well as the beta ones too...

Production updates for 4.90
http://support.novell.com/filefinder/18193/index.html

Beta updates for 4.90 (beta can be and is better in some cases than production)
http://support.novell.com/filefinder/18193/beta.html

Beta SP2 for 4.90 is available for testing and is going well.  In addition to this forum,
report issues via the beta feedback link...
http://www.novell.com/beta/auth/beta.jsp?pid=7474&type=1

Both beta SP2 and the feedback section are available at the above link.  Should it not
work, go off the main beta site to get it...
http://www.novell.com/beta

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Client Windows XP y Servidor Netware 4.11
Necesito hacer una consulta urgente, ya que disponemos de un Servidor Novell Netware 4.11 con Support Pack 9 y todo funciona correctamente con terminales Windows 98, pero al instalar terminales con Windows XP y el Novell Client 4.91 para Windows XP, no quiere hacer el login ya que no encuentra el Servidor o el �rbol. �Hay alguna incompatibilidad entre el Client 4.91 para XP y el Netware 4.11? �Que debo hacer, o donde me tengo que dirigir? A la espera de sus noticias. Gracias Gracias ya he visto que la respuesta estaba ya en el foro y que las recomendaciones son las qu...

Configuring an Windows XP client with a Netware 4.2 server
I am somewhat new to Novell. I have to set up an employee's new computer and configure it to have access to our Novell server. The new computer is running Win XP Pro. The only client version we have is for win 95/98. I need to know how to set everything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Download the Novell Client for XP from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Since you are working with a 4.x server -- I'd go with the 4.83 client: > Where can I download full 4.83SP...

Netware Adminstrator running on XP client to manage 4.11 servers
Is there a version on netware adminstator that can run on a XP client PC to support a netware 4.11 server environment obrienc@tenix.com wrote: > Is there a version on netware adminstator that can run on a XP client > PC to support a netware 4.11 server environment Yes, this one: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2955955.htm You must however run a Novell client on the XP workstation. The latest Novell client can be found at http://download.novell.com However if you have no server newer than 4.11, then the following client might be suitable enough: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/14211.html -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums You can run the one that's in sys:public\win32\nwadmn32.exe. I use that one on XP. I get an error message when it's first run, but it doesn't make any different if you just close that - everything works fine for me. Hope that helps. <obrienc@tenix.com> wrote in message news:B1Mye.2602$cZ.356@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Is there a version on netware adminstator that can run on a XP client PC > to support a netware 4.11 server environment obrienc@tenix.com wrote: > Is there a version on netware adminstator that can run on a XP client PC > to support a netware 4.11 server environment Certainly. 5.1.9f works fine, been using it on 98SE then XP. NW4.11 SP9 IPX environment, Client 4.91 (but any XP Client really) Ori...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP and Netware 4.11 / NWADMIN does not start
Hello. I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32). NWADMN95 works. NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32) still works from an old W2K client. I tried the W2K compatability mode, but not success. No error message, just nothing happens after doubleclick on NWADMIN32. Thanks for help, Michael Michael, > I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were > W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start N...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Need XP Client for Netware 4.11
I have looked everywhere for a client that will work with XP and Netware 4.11. I am setting up a test lab so I can run XP with our 4.11 server and I am new to Novell for the most part. Can you tell me where/what/how to find this client. Thanks, Craig Dynic USA The most recent one is v4.9, however for NetWare4.x - I recommend this one http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html Please apply SP3 once installed at: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968055.htm -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Remove Netware Client 4.9 on Windows XP
I use a unattend.txt to do the install. Then I edit that file and add the DoRemove=YES and it looks like it works. But at the end I get a error saying: "The installation was not completed successfully". But if I reboot then it looks like everything is gone. I need some way of removing the client from about 800 workstations, and I would like some way of scripting it. I did a search on CoolSolutions and the knowledgebase and did not really come up with anything that helped. Thanks, Greg Marcom marcom@purdue.edu Technical Support Administrator Purdue University ...

Windows XP, Netware 5, client 4.83 sp2
LS. Workstation XP with Novell client 4.83 Sp2 is very slow retrieving info from server (Novell 5). Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most we use tweaks) 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 server? Dirk > Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most > we use tweaks) No, 4.83 SP2 or SP3 should do fine -- what protocols did you set up? > 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 > server? > You might try the more rece...

Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server?
Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new hardware over two weekends. thanks Hi, John wrote: > > Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are > two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new > hardware over two weekends. Yes, but they must be at DS621. And run the deployment wizard ones. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de Yes it can - I...

Cannot login to Netware 4.11 or 5.00, from a Windows XP SP2.
Downloaded, and installed the latest Netware Client. 'Novell Client 4.90 SP2'. We have quite a few Windows XP with SP2 installed PC's. But when using this client, am unable to login. The previous client we used was 4.83 SP1, which causes not problems when logging in. On the same PC's. With the 'Novell Client 4.90 SP2' client, we cannot even browse for the Netware Servers we are running, nor locate the correct context. Any ideas ? With the 4.11 servers (and probably with your 5.0 servers) the 4.83SP3 client would be my preference (some will note t...

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

Automatic XP Windows logon and netware client 4.91 SP3
Is it possible to enforce the netware logon process and dispense with the windows XP workstation one. There are multiple netware account users but single XP workstation user account. I would like this account to be a "user" one rather than power user or admin. Thanks Martin > "Martin Hoare" <martin.hoare@spc.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message > news:aNdwi.944$pG6.406@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > > Is it possible to enforce the netware logon process and dispense with the > windows XP workstation one. > > There are multiple net...

Replacing a Netware 4 server with a NetWare 6 server...
I have been hired to set up a netware 6 server and transfer some data from an old nw4-server. It�s a quite simple environment, just file-sharing, printing and some simple policies... I have some questions and thoughts about it... I have most been working with Netware 4 and a bit with netware 5. What is the biggest differences with Netware 6? What sizes of volumes and partitions would you recommend on a netware 6 server? The old netware 4 server is running Zenworks starter pack with some policies and a few applications (for simple installation). How would they be affected ...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Windows 95 netware client 3.4 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run Windows 95 with the Netware 3.4 client and still have access to the Netware 6.5 server? Thanks You should, best to ask in the netware.client.win9x forum. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) I'm doing it right now, as we speak ;-) have not found any problems with it, accessing 6.5, or other versions of NW. "John" <john@edd.com> wrote in message news:4IbFd.21509$Ei5.20047@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Can I run Windows 95 with the Netware 3.4 client and still have access to > the Net...

Netware 6 & Netware 4.11 server hosting Groupwise
We will be migrating a production Netware 4.11 server to Netware 6 in the near future. We also have a Netware 4.11 server hosting our Groupwise 5.5 system. It is also receiving a read/write replica of NDS. My plan is to remove replication to this box before the migration, then quickly build a new Netware 6 box to house a replica of eDirectory. My question is: will our Netware 4.11 server hosting our Groupwise system co-exist with our new Netware 6 servers running eDirectory? Are there any precautions or pre-planning we should be aware of? Any feedback would be appreci...

Windows XP with netware client 4.91 sp5 IR1 hangs on startup
I seem to have a big problem with Windows XP SP3 and netware client 4.91 sp5 ir1 in that the system boots up then I just get the mouse pointer. (no login box is displayed) IF I uninstall the netware client in safe mode without networking then reboot the system I can login to windows no problem. So it must be something with the client software. I also installed the patches with the same issue. Any idea's on this one? Thanks -- comnet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Do you have any kind of third party firewall product ins...

Web resources about - Windows XP Netware Client and Netware 4.11 server - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

The Windows Blog

Passengers urinate out of car window while travelling 100km/h
The actions of two car passengers who appeared to lean out a car window to urinate while travelling at 100kmh on a Southland highway are being ...

Chrome OS distro for regular PCs can now dual-boot with Windows
... A few months ago, we wrote about CloudReady , a version of the open source Chromium OS from Neverware that can transform older Windows PCs ...

Microsoft announces a new Windows 10-friendly Wireless Display Adapter
... the new edition has been completely redesigned (it's smaller, and more stylish), and promises to reduce latency. Naturally, there’s a Windows ...

Microsoft just landed a huge deal to bring Windows 10 to 4 million Defense Department employees
... that the United States Department of Defense will be moving all four million of its employees across all of its agencies to the Windows 10 operating ...

Find and recover Windows files
How to find recent downloads and other docs, and how to rescue deleted files.

Preliminary data shows small Windows 10 gains after upgrade offered to older PCs
Windows 10 usage has increased since Microsoft began serving the operating system as an automatic upgrade to PCs running Windows 7 or Windows ...

Gary Bettman Upholds Dennis Wideman's Suspension, Provides Window Into NHL Investigation
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upheld Dennis Wideman’s 20-game suspension for cross-checking a linesman from behind today, a widely expected ...