Windows 7 not mapping drives on log in

I have seen that there have been few posts that been related to this but
none of them have helped me solve my problem.  Below I have pasted in
the output from the client script.  This log in script runs exactly as
expected on win xp sp 3 but win 7 it doesn't.  The only consistent thing
I have seen from context to context and user to user is that if a user
is within the context of an authenticating server (the server they are
authenticating to) then the mappings for that server work, but mappings
to other non-authenticating servers do not.  For the output below the
context is ehs.svusd and the server is within that context;
main.ehs.svusd.

I have examined the client properties between the xp boxes and the win
7 boxes and that did not reveal anything.  The client version is client
2 sp 2 for win 7.

I am hoping that I don't have to burn an SR to get this solved.  Is the
client just problematic on win 7?

LOGIN-LGNWNT32-400: A network drive cannot be mapped to a drive
that is designated as a local drive.
[ON]
SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[H:=SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:]
The error code was 8884.
SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[I:=SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD/SYS:]
The error code was 8884.
DO.DO.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[J:=DO.DO.SVUSD/SYS:]
The error code was 8884.
DO.DO.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[K:=DO.DO.SVUSD/USERS:]
The error code was 8884.
SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[L:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/SYS:]
The error code was 8884.
SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[M:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STAFF:]
The error code was 8884.
SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[N:=SECONDARY.STUDENTS.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:ACCLDATA]
The error code was 8884.
SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[O:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STUDENTS:]
The error code was 8884.
Drive P: = MAIN_SYS.EHS: \
Drive Q: = MAIN_APPS.EHS: \
Drive R: = MAIN_USERS.EHS: \
FJE.FJE.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[S:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/DATA:]
The error code was 8884.
FJE.FJE.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[T:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/SYS:]
The error code was 8884.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-470: The specified drive mapping is an invalid path:
(V:=GRPWISE.SVUSD/GRPWISE_GRPWISEVOL:GRPWISE/GWDOMAIN)
SVUSD1.SVUSD
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-890: The specified server is unknown.
LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be
completed.
[W:=SVUSD1.SVUSD/SVUSD1DATA:]
The error code was 8884.

--
jmcg

jmcg

Send a sample of the actual login script...this just tells us the
results, which are not very helpful. :-)

--El

--
El LaGrew
elbert.lagrew#katun.com

0
elagrew
2/28/2012 5:06:02 PM
I should also say that we do not have that issue here...that is not to
say that there are no problems with the win7 client, only that we do not
see this particular mapping issue here at all. That is why I would like
to see the login script...

--El

--
El LaGrew
elbert.lagrew#katun.com
elagrew on twitter
elagrew's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=10240
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=452731

0
elagrew
2/28/2012 5:06:02 PM
Here is the login script that was used to produce the output for the
original post.

MAP ON
MAP H:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:
MAP I:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/SYS:
MAP J:=DO.DO.SVUSD/SYS:
MAP K:=DO.DO.SVUSD/USERS:
MAP L:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/SYS:
MAP M:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STAFF:
MAP N:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:AcclData
MAP O:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STUDENTS:
MAP P:=MAIN/SYS:
MAP Q:=MAIN/APPS:
MAP R:=MAIN/USERS:
MAP S:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/DATA:
MAP T:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/SYS:

--
jmcg
jmcg's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3475
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=452731

0
jmcg
2/28/2012 5:16:02 PM
jmcg wrote:

> Here is the login script that was used to produce the output for the
> original post.
>
> MAP ON
> MAP H:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:
> MAP I:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/SYS:
> MAP J:=DO.DO.SVUSD/SYS:
> MAP K:=DO.DO.SVUSD/USERS:
> MAP L:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/SYS:
> MAP M:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STAFF:
> MAP N:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:AcclData
> MAP O:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STUDENTS:
> MAP P:=MAIN/SYS:
> MAP Q:=MAIN/APPS:
> MAP R:=MAIN/USERS:
> MAP S:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/DATA:
> MAP T:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/SYS:

I don't use ds names any longer on scripts personally. I always use dns
names for instance I do"

MAP j:=\\dns_servername\volume  and \path is needed. Always works.

0
Rick
W. Prindl

jmcg wrote:

>Here is the login script that was used to produce the output for the
>original post.
>
>MAP ON
>MAP H:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:
>MAP I:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/SYS:
>MAP J:=DO.DO.SVUSD/SYS:
>MAP K:=DO.DO.SVUSD/USERS:
>MAP L:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/SYS:
>MAP M:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STAFF:
>MAP N:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:AcclData
>MAP O:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STUDENTS:
>MAP P:=MAIN/SYS:
>MAP Q:=MAIN/APPS:
>MAP R:=MAIN/USERS:
>MAP S:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/DATA:
>MAP T:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/SYS:

What I would do: map using fully qualified *volume* names (with
starting dots) as with contextless login you never know, in which
context you end if the login script is run.

That means for the first line in your script

MAP H:=.Secondary_DATA.students.EHS.SVUSD:

if the given context is the full context, and your edir volume name is
created by standard procedures.

Further you have to take a look at already existing drive letters on
your Win7 PCs as there are often 4-7 drive letters reserved for
USB-sticks, SD-cards etc. . You need to relocate them on the PCs in a
consistent manner, so you know which drive letters are free - or
disable them totally. (See the first error in your initial post).

I wouldn't use the UNC-path method, as I don't know if that is accepted
by older clients.
0
W_
2/28/2012 8:00:15 PM
Thank you, that did the trick.  the leading dot and correct syntax
worked well.

My tree and many login scripts date back to nw 5 days and have worked
well until I started deploying window 7.  Do you know what has changed?
Is it the app the runs the scripts?

Again, thank you for the help.

--
jmcg
jmcg's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=3475
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=452731

0
jmcg
2/28/2012 11:26:01 PM
At some point in time my old scripts, which stem from NW4.11, did not
work any more and this corrected syntax worked. Probably the client
script engine was changed. But this syntax works on all clients - even
Client32 for DOS.
--
W. Prindl

jmcg wrote:

>Thank you, that did the trick.  the leading dot and correct syntax
>worked well.
>
>My tree and many login scripts date back to nw 5 days and have worked
>well until I started deploying window 7.  Do you know what has
>changed?  Is it the app the runs the scripts?
>
>Again, thank you for the help.
>

>W_Prindl;2178084 Wrote:
>> --
>> W. Prindl
>>

>> jmcg wrote:
>>

>> >Here is the login script that was used to produce the output for
>>the  >original post.
>> >
>> >MAP ON
>> >MAP H:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:
>> >MAP I:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/SYS:
>> >MAP J:=DO.DO.SVUSD/SYS:
>> >MAP K:=DO.DO.SVUSD/USERS:
>> >MAP L:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/SYS:
>> >MAP M:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STAFF:
>> >MAP N:=Secondary.students.EHS.SVUSD/DATA:AcclData
>> >MAP O:=SVJH_SERVER.SVJH.SVUSD/STUDENTS:
>> >MAP P:=MAIN/SYS:
>> >MAP Q:=MAIN/APPS:
>> >MAP R:=MAIN/USERS:
>> >MAP S:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/DATA:
>> >MAP T:=FJE.FJE.SVUSD/SYS:
>>
>> What I would do: map using fully qualified volume names (with
>> starting dots) as with contextless login you never know, in which
>> context you end if the login script is run.
>>
>> That means for the first line in your script
>>
>> MAP H:=.Secondary_DATA.students.EHS.SVUSD:
>>
>> if the given context is the full context, and your edir volume
>>name is  created by standard procedures.
>>
>> Further you have to take a look at already existing drive letters
>>on  your Win7 PCs as there are often 4-7 drive letters reserved for
>> USB-sticks, SD-cards etc. . You need to relocate them on the PCs
>>in a  consistent manner, so you know which drive letters are free -
>>or  disable them totally. (See the first error in your initial
>>post).
>> I wouldn't use the UNC-path method, as I don't know if that is
>> accepted
>> by older clients.
0
W_

Logging on to Netware and mapping drives
Hi All, I have been given a requirement to modify a system to programatically logon to netware with a different user id and map a drive to the data this program requires. I have searched groups.google and haven't found anything quite like this discussed. The purpose for this is that we don't want the users of this application to have any rights in general to the data directories. We only want the application to have access. Further, we only want the data exposed during certain processes in the application. The only way that I can think of to do this is to sign...

Windows 7
I am running Windows 7 with Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows 7. I am having problems with a mapped network drive showing "NcFsd" under it and it not being accessible. If you double click on it, it says "The folder is empty." If I logoff of my computer and then log back in, it works until it happens again. Any suggestions? -- its-ph ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Happening here too..................... I noticed that the client won't process the login script when I first login, If I come back and right ...

Mapped drives changing with Windows XP
We have setup our new computers to run on Windows XP with Novell Client 4.90 SP1. We are only runiing IP, no IPX. We are connected to a Netware 6.x server. When creating the computers we created a user profile and copied the profile to the default user through Windows XP. Everything has run fine on all of our computers, about a month now, until recently. I have about 3 computers that are no longer going to the mapped drives for the users when they login, but to the drives for the user profile that was copied over. We can get to the users' drives by pulling up the Netware Lo...

Windows 7 mapped drive problem
Hello, We are currently running SLES10 sp2 and OES2 sp1 on our production servers. These servers are used as file servers and we are using NSS volumes. Everything has been, and still is, working great on our workstations running Windows XP with Novell Client 4.91 sp5. We have a new batch of workstations that are running Windows 7 64-bit with Novell Client 2 SP1. These workstations are having an intermittent issue. The process goes like this: Users log in using the Novell client and have some drives mapped via a Novell login script. The drives map without any issues. Use...

Windows 7 mapped drive problem
Hello, We are currently running SLES10 sp2 and OES2 sp1 on our production servers. These servers are used as file servers and we are using NSS volumes. Everything has been, and still is, working great on our workstations running Windows XP with Novell Client 4.91 sp5. We have a new batch of workstations that are running Windows 7 64-bit with Novell Client 2 SP1. These workstations are having an intermittent issue. The process goes like this: Users log in using the Novell client and have some drives mapped via a Novell login script. The drives map without any issues. Use...

Windows XP client not mapping drives
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

Windows 7, Mapped Drives and Samba
Hi, A quick question, i hope! Using the latest version of SuSE with Samba setup with UserName and PassWord protection enabled are there any issues getting Win7 computers to create a Mapped Drive to this network location and loggin as required when prompted for a UserName and PassWord. Mark -- akwe-xavante ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Thu November 19 2009 08:16 am, akwe-xavante wrote: > > Hi, > > A quick question, i hope! > > Using the latest version of SuSE with Samba setup with UserName and...

TShellTreeView, mapped network drives and Windows 7
(Not sure which forum to use for this problem, so posted here) In my Delphi 7-developed applications, I use TShellTreeView components in "File Location" setup forms, to select the location of a database on a network. These applications are running on a Windows 7 PC. The database resides in a mapped network drive. In one application the mapped network drives appear with red Xs on them, although I can go into the drives, and see the folders within. Selecting the location (let's call it "K:\") then allows me to connect to the database. When I quit the program...

Drive Mapping Windows 7 error c000014f
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. Novell Client 2 SP1 (IR2). Cannot get these drives to map. Any idea what I am missing here. All drives map fine in XP. YOU ARE 73, AND YOUR NODE ADDRESS IS 00188B1B4A46 LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT H:=.ELEYDEN_VOL1.EAST_LEYDEN.DIST212\USERS\BGUSMAN] The error code was c000014f. LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT I:=.ELEYDEN_APPS.EAST_LEYDEN.DIST212\COMMON\INTER-DEPT] The error code was c000014f. LOGIN-LGNWNT32-430: The following drive mappin...

Netware 6 and XP not remembering a drive mapping
I was wondering if someone has a clue how to fix this problem? I have Netware 6 Client 4.83 on WinXP. I have two servers with separate trees. If I log into the main server I get all the drive mappings expected. I want to also have a drive mapped to the other server. I use the client to map to the server. I can view the files and do anything with them. But when I reboot the connection does not reconnect. If I click on the drive in windows explorer than everything reconnects. It just doesn't do it automatically. How can I get winXP to remember the connection automatically? ...

Windows XP client not mapping drives #2
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

permanently mapping a netware drive to a windows server
What's the best way to make sure a Netware mapped folder is always mapped to a Windows server, even if you log out? Thanks, Mark :-) On 6/20/2005 Mark Miller wrote: > What's the best way to make sure a Netware mapped folder is always mapped to > a Windows server, even if you log out? I believe you mean, making a permanent *network* Windows drive mapping. I believe you can with NET USE with the 'persistent' option but best to ask in the Microsoft forum for further detail since it has nothing to do with the NetWare. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product ...

Windows 7 PC losing Drive Mappings
We have a few Windows 7 PC running the latest Client (IR3) that losses drive mappings temporarily. I found TID 7006475 (Novell Client for Windows 7 does not map drives after computer name change) that kind of covers this issue, but when I look at the problem PCs registry (and my own Windows 7 PC), I don't see the Key. So should I create the Key?? Will it really help??? Here is what the TID said: *********************************************************************** Drives won't map after changing the computer name Computer name change causes login failure After cha...

Windows 7 x64 Drive mapping error
Using Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows 7 | Windows 7 AMD64. These two machines are two of the first W7 machines I have rolled out. Other machines used by this group are XP SP3 with the most recent client. Logins from the XP machines have never given any mapping problems. The W7 machines give a resource erro on ONE of their drive mappings - their shared group drive. Their home directories and other "utility mapping we employ seem to work fine. Any ideas about where to start looking for a solution/work around? Looking at other threads I have asked them to try login from th...

Web resources about - Windows 7 not mapping drives on log in - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

The Windows Blog

LattePanda is a Windows 10 mini PC that costs just $79
... working on computers on a board such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino that run Linux, but now there is a full computer on a board that runs Windows ...

This photo of Jerry Seinfeld knocking on Obama’s window is real, and oh so spectacular
The photo you're looking at above may appear to be something whipped up in Photoshop, but we can assure you that it's 100% legit. In fact, it ...

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella explains why it doesn't matter if only a handful of people have a Windows ...
... only one or two of our devices and some other platforms — so be it." For Nadella, this is an important point: The company can work on Windows ...

Coming up for Windows 10: Needed upgrades, forced updates
Windows 10 was the biggest news story out of Microsoft in 2015, and looking forward to the coming year, it’s slated to continue as one of the ...

Microsoft Bypasses Carriers With Windows 10 Phone Updates -
... carriers often adhere to their own schedules when it comes to handset upgrades. Microsoft appears to be resolving this problem and with Windows ...

Why Windows 10 For Desktop Systems Matters For Windows Phones
Almost every time I’ve written about the prospects for Windows Phones, Windows Mobile, or now Windows 10 for Phones, I’ve gotten similar feedback ...

Mystery of 'Creepy' Light in Abandoned Hospital Window Solved
Photos of a mysterious light spotted inside the window of a dark, abandoned New Orleans hospital have gone viral on Facebook.