Win XP Pro, ThinkPad A31, Client 4.83 SP3, drive mappings disappear

I have one computer, a ThinkPad A31 with an integrated NIC, running XP
Pro and Novell Client 4.83 SP3, and a single 4.11 server.

After login, everything seems fine, but as soon as an app is opened over
the network (such as our in house database), the connections are lost.
The drive letters are still visible, but when you select one, the client
doesn't "see" the drive.

I have tried:

Updating the client (I have avoided 4.9 because it runs extremely slow
on our server, another issue entirely that I'm not prepared to attack at
this time.)

Updating NIC drivers on the ThinkPad.

Turned off power management to the NIC.

I have ruled out a defective NIC, because the computer never loses sight
of our independent router, fax server, or mail server.

Any ideas?
0
Michael

Michael,

Is the Novell Client installed with IPX or both IP/IPX?
Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS,
NetIdentity, etc.)?
Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
Security or any other driver-based software like antivirus getting in the way?  How about
remote management?
Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?

Assuming client 4.9 with Workstation Manager, do you have the Update Agent enabled?...

Mapped drives disappear immediately after login with Update Agent enabled.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10094392.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
9/9/2004 7:03:18 PM
Hi Tony,

It is installed with IP/IPX, with no additional components installed.
Windows was installed from an IBM OEM image, and no Anti-Virus software
is running on the laptop (currently).  Remote management is disabled and
all logs look normal.

 From a whim, I changed her login script so that it does not use include
files to map her drives, all mappings are the script itself, and it
hasn't crashed yet, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Tony Pedretti wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Is the Novell Client installed with IPX or both IP/IPX?
> Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS,
> NetIdentity, etc.)?
> Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
> Security or any other driver-based software like antivirus getting in the way?  How about
> remote management?
> Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?
>
> Assuming client 4.9 with Workstation Manager, do you have the Update Agent enabled?...
>
> Mapped drives disappear immediately after login with Update Agent enabled.
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10094392.htm

--
Michael S. Powell
Technical Operations Manager