win 98 client faster as win xp client

I have a Novell Server 5.1 IPX protocol. In the network was a WIN 98
PC (500 MHz) an a WIN XP PC (2000 MHz). The Database application (alaska
xbase++ 32 Bit)run for a complex statistic on the WIN 98 3 minutes and
on the WIN XP 6 minutes.

How can I set my windows xp client for more speed ?
What can I disable in my xp client. (I need the Server as File-Server)
(the version of the XP Client is 4.09)

0
michael

> I have a Novell Server 5.1 IPX protocol. In the network was a WIN 98
> PC (500 MHz) an a WIN XP PC (2000 MHz). The Database application (alaska
> xbase++ 32 Bit)run for a complex statistic on the WIN 98 3 minutes and
> on the WIN XP 6 minutes.
>
> How can I set my windows xp client for more speed ?
> What can I disable in my xp client. (I need the Server as File-Server)
> (the version of the XP Client is 4.09)

Have you tried all the client tuning tips at
http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

You should be able to get similar speed out of Win2k/XP as you do from
Win9x, as long as your Win2k/XP machine isn't short on RAM.  In some cases
NT4/2k/XP will be slightly slower because of their overhead, in some
cases, they are faster because of better scheduling/caching, but the
differences should be less than 15% in most cases.

0
geoffs
9/17/2004 10:32:11 PM
Turn off Oportunic File locking on server(Look up set statement syntax). It
is MS client issue with server.

Regards

Mike

<michael.kerschensteiner@t-online.de> wrote in message
> I have a Novell Server 5.1 IPX protocol. In the network was a WIN 98
> PC (500 MHz) an a WIN XP PC (2000 MHz). The Database application (alaska
> xbase++ 32 Bit)run for a complex statistic on the WIN 98 3 minutes and
> on the WIN XP 6 minutes.
>
> How can I set my windows xp client for more speed ?
> What can I disable in my xp client. (I need the Server as File-Server)
> (the version of the XP Client is 4.09)

0
mike

NetWare Client on Win 2k & XP
We are just starting to use 2K Pro & XP Pro on our desktops. We have a NT 4.0 domain across a WAN. You got your PDC at corporate and BDC's spread out across the company at each location. Also have member servers setup for Exchange 5.5. Each location also has NetWare servers. My location has two NetWare 5 servers (sp6a). It was my understanding in order for authentication to occur on a NT network using NT / 2k Pro / XP Pro computer accounts must be setup. The domain admin setup the account. I made sure the computer named matched the name he gave when setting up the computer...

Netware client setup on Win XP Pro
Hello there, I've been refered to this newsgroup from another Novell one. I'm trying to configure Novell Client 4.83 on a Wnidows XP machine connecting to Novell 4.11 Basically I am trying to avoid having to setup every user as a local account, and simply have the client login, skipping the login to local account bit. I have ben referred to >1) Configure the PC to use "AutoAdminLogon" - >http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10052847.htm >(Each User uses the same local account) and this seems to be the correct solution, I am tryi...

Client and Win xp
Please Help!!!! Our school upgraded with new machines with Windows. XP is set up with 2 users: 1 - Scholar, no password and limited account 2 - Admin, with admin rights I installed Client for XP and after that cannot get past the windows login if i want to log in as Admin. Scolar login work fine. What could be the problem? Hi ! kobusk@xsinet.co.za wrote: > Please Help!!!! > > I installed Client for XP and after that cannot get past the windows login > if i want to log in as Admin. Scolar login work fine. If you are using 4....

Remote Access with Win XP and Netware Client 4.9?
I have a few XP laptops I'm trying to get working for home and the office. The laptops are running Novell Netware Client 4.9, and I got them working in the office, no problem. They had to be configured for IP and IPX, and it was a cinch to get going. We use a Netware Server for Groupwise, and other hosted shared applications. I figured the same login and password would work remotely, but it doesn't. Is there anything I have to do special to get this working? I heard about Remote Access Service (RAS), but I can't find it. betaphiwoozy, VPN is usually the best app...

win 98 -> win xp
hi, when we changed the o.s from win 98 -> win xp for the clients we run in some problem : 1. when we try 2 write in date or time field the cursor blink for 1 sec and then p.b app. fall and shut down. 2. the font we used is tahoma and because of the changed it become very small what might be the problem ? thank u ...

Win XP client for Netware 4.10 doesn't work
We have a small Netware 4.10 network. Since would like to connect Windows XP (SP1) PCs to that net, we have downloaded the latest 98/2000/XP client (49sp2e.exe zipped file) and installed on one PC. Installation seems to be succesfull, but the client doesn't connect to the server (Cant'find the server error). Did I miss doing something? There is any extra configuration to do? Has anyone experienced (and possibly solved) such a problem? Thansk in advance to any helper... Riccardo Make sure you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Also, v4...

disab le the ability to cancel a login on Win XP pro with Netware Client
I am posing this question to the discussion group. How can we through Novell 5.1 with a Win XP 4.9 client require a login with a user name and password rather than establishing a BIOS password. Thank you in advance. Also is there a specific location where I would be able to acces this information? Gary Hawk H-L School Bascom, Ohio Gary, Since the Windows NT security model requires you to logon locally or via a domain you need to authenticate to a Windows account in addition to eDirectory(NDS). Its usually recommended to sync the account names and passwords between Wind...

Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode
I have gateway 200xl with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client 4.90 SP2 English on Windows NT/2000/XP (English) installed connected to the NW 5.1 on dell server. Problem: When screen saver kicks inn user can login into workstation but cant even find my server. Is it neware problem or hardware problem with network card? Can you guide me? Thanks Joe, Could be a name resolution issue. Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP? Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NetIdentity, etc.)? Is the Novell Client instal...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

How to make client from DOS, Win 98 and Win 2000
I have installed a novell netware 6.0 on my Compact Proliant ML 350. It running ok. But now i want to make a user client, i don't know what must i do first. I have some experience in my NW 3.12. If i want to make a user client, i have to make a diskboot by DOSGEN and than i have to run SYSCON from client and make some trustee, login script and so on. My question are : 1. In NW 6.0 i don't know how to make user client, login script etc. from DOS and Windows. 2. Can i access NW 6.0 from DOS prompt like in NW 3.12 ( using ipx and netx ). If Yes, how to make connection fr...

Client for Win XP Pro 64
Is there a NetWare client for Win XP PRO 64? I have the 4.91 client but my understanding of it is that it is 32 bit only. Thanks in advance. Harry Lipkind No -- there is no client for XP 64 -- some folks have been asking for it. Perhaps if enough folks asked for it, it might get 'on the board' as an enhancement. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop To make your voice heard, please eneter an enahncement request at http://support.novell.com/enhancement -- Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.5.9) Have you tried the 32-bit client on Wind...

Problem with win XP VPN Client
Hi all, I am having a problem installing the freshly downloaded from novell 3.7 VPN client, it completes and reboots but it just doesn't seem to install the VPN driver/adapter. When ever I try and launch the LAN VPN client it tells me that the vpn driver is not installed, I have removed and re-installed the vpn client and also the novell client and it is still the same. If there a way I can manually install this adapter/client? I am on WinXP SP1, with the latest 4.83sp1 nwclient installed. Thanks in advance, -- Matt Hudson, Principle Network and Communications Offi...

iFolder Client win XP x64
I can't seem to get iFolder Client working with .Net 1.1sp1 on win XP x64. I've tried 2 diferent clients on win xp x64: ifolder3-3.4.6129.1-1-setup.exe ifolder3-3.5.6088.1-1-setup.exe i know forsure that the first works fine on x86 xp machines i have. Does any one have any ideas on this? - Is .net 1.1 even supported on xp x64? I've tried reinstalling .net aswell. The only thing it says when trying to login is: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Thanks, David Olivier David, dolivier@plus94.co.za wrote: > I can't...

Web resources about - win 98 client faster as win xp client - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Dropbox dumps popular email client Mailbox and photo service Carousel
Facing growing competitive pressures, Dropbox has dumped two of its flagship products, including smart email pioneer Mailbox.

Acquire Learning casts 'a very dark shadow' over its clients
The desperate and jobless are sold hope, but all they are buying is debt "You can hear it in how these clients talk," says a former call-centre ...

Never Complain To Clients Or Adversaries
Even trial lawyers that learn and have fun all the time deal with frustrations and have their gripes. But we should never share those gripes ...

Huge Creates New Global CMO, Client Services Roles
... Managing Directors Patricia Korth-McDonnell and Eric Moore into the newly created global roles of chief marketing officer and president-client ...

Dropbox is shutting down Mailbox, the popular email client
Dropbox acquired Mailbox, the extremely popular email client, way back in 2013, and unfortunately it's now time to say goodbye. That's right, ...

Chatting with coworkers, clients, friends and others is easy as Pie
... uses your companys domain). This also means that you can now set up teams to chat with people outside your company, including partners, clients, ...

Apple Says U.K. Surveillance Law Would Endanger All Clients
Apple Inc. outlined its opposition to a proposed U.K. surveillance law, saying threats to national security don’t justify weakening privacy and ...