Vista Client LDAP Contextless login

The contextless login feature in the Vista 32 client (have not tested it
with 64 bit) does not work from the Vista login screen, it works only if the
Novell login is called via right mouse key on the red N in the task bar.
This is a show stopper for our University, we have around 280 OU´s and need
this feature on the general login screen.
Configuration: Vista SP1, Novell Client for Windows Vista 1.0, Novell Client
for Windows Vista Drivers Update 1, Novell Client for Windows Vista Update
6.

--

Werner Seifert

Informations Management  der
Johannes Kepler Universität Linz /
Information Management of the Johannes Kepler University Linz

Altenberger Straße 69
A-4040 Linz / Austria
Tel. +43 (0)732 2468 1591

0
Werner

Werner,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_general.html

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
Automatic
8/23/2008 10:16:13 PM
"Werner Seifert" <Werner.Seifert@jku.at> wrote:

> The contextless login feature in the Vista 32 client (have not tested it
> with 64 bit) does not work from the Vista login screen, it works only if the
> Novell login is called via right mouse key on the red N in the task bar.
> This is a show stopper for our University, we have around 280 OU´s and need
> this feature on the general login screen.
> Configuration: Vista SP1, Novell Client for Windows Vista 1.0, Novell Client
> for Windows Vista Drivers Update 1, Novell Client for Windows Vista Update 6.

Indeed the LDAP Contextless Login feature doesn't fire /visibly/ from
the Vista welcome screen; i.e. when you're going into "Show Advanced
Options".  But it should still be working once you actually attempt to
login.

i.e. If LDAP Contextless Login is enabled, regardless of what you saw
in the "Context:" field prior to attempting to login, LDAP Contextless
Login will lookup the user via LDAP and replace that "Context:" with
the one that matches where the user was found.  And if there happen to
be multiple matches, you'll get the selection list in the mist of
login so that you can choose which user & context you actually want to
continue logging in with.

But agreed, its not like Novell Client for Windows XP/2003, where the
results of the LDAP Contextless Login could be seen in the "Advanced"
tabs prior to even attempting to login.

Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)
0
Alan

LDAP contextless login VISTA Client
Dear all, I am having issues with the Vista Beta client and LDAP. I set all of the settings to mirror our working XP configuration and I get the message "The system could not log you into the network. Make sure your name and connection information are correct" ......etc, etc. I am certain my credentials are correct. When I change the context to the OU the username resides, login works fine. Is there anyone out there who has come across this? Thanks in advance. Brett I have the opposite problem. I can get contextless login working, but I cannot get it to lo...

LDAP Disabling anonymous binds stops Netware client from doing contextless login
Edirectory 8.7.3.3 Netware Client 4.9.0 SP2 Proxy_User has been created with blank password. I have been instructed by our auditors to disable anonymous binds on the LDAP server object. When I do this the LDAP contextless login feature of the Netware client stops working. I've been reading the documentation and tids on ldap and feel as if I'm going in circles... :) Can someone lend a hand, or point me to a good, complete document that discusses LDAP configuration, security, requirements, etc? Thanks in advance. Cheryl Fischer Cheryl Fischer Network / Email Admin...

LDAP Contextless login and 802.1X WLAN login with Aegis client
Hi. Is there any solution to the problem stated in subject? LDAP contextless logins can not work in a 802.1X WLAN solution since the client does NOT have network access until after it has logged in. Currently we disable LDAP contextless logins and "Workstation Only" flag for workstations that need WLAN access, is there any better way of doing this? /anders Anders Westerberg wrote: > Is there any solution to the problem stated in subject? LDAP contextless > logins can not work in a 802.1X WLAN solution since the client does NOT > have network access until af...

Client logging in quickly- ldap contextless login = error
We are still having this issue - with ldap contextless login set Tid '7006626' (http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=7006626&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=305126768&stateId=0%200%20305130416): the client can login within 30 seconds without the listed error code (specifically Error code: 0x800789FC ) - with NO ldap contextless login As soon as we enable - LDAP CONTEXTLESS LOGiN - it all fails again Actually it fails almost immediately with error - The tree or server cannot be found - Error ...

Client 4.91 SP2 contextless LDAP login with aliases
Trying to roll out the new client version 4.91 SP2 but hitting an issue where users are presented with two choices for context, one user container, one alias container. Can the LDAP server be modified to ignore alias objects, or reference them back to the original user object. I know this is a "feature" that has been enabled in 4.91, but it's killing me!!! any way to turn it off would be appreciated, either at the client end, or on the LDAP server side. jvaz, Rumor has it said feature is currently working as designed. On the LDAP Contextless Login tab in ...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP SP2 & Contextless Login
Hello, I was just wondering if this is expected behavior from the Novell Client. I am setting up a new environment using OES2 Linux and ZCM, migrating from Netware 6.5 OES with a new tree. SLP is set up and DHCP works well. The issue is this, I am using ZCM to distribute a GP to the workstation using Shaun's ADM file. In the GP I have configured a Preferred Tree and LDAP Contextless Login settings. When a workstation is first set up, the client takes the settings right away. However, you cannot login using LDAP because the client does not try to use the LDAP.. the usern...

disab le the ability to cancel a login on Win XP pro with Netware Client
I am posing this question to the discussion group. How can we through Novell 5.1 with a Win XP 4.9 client require a login with a user name and password rather than establishing a BIOS password. Thank you in advance. Also is there a specific location where I would be able to acces this information? Gary Hawk H-L School Bascom, Ohio Gary, Since the Windows NT security model requires you to logon locally or via a domain you need to authenticate to a Windows account in addition to eDirectory(NDS). Its usually recommended to sync the account names and passwords between Wind...

MS Client comes up before Netware client login
MS Client comes up before Netware client login. I try reinstalling client. Any ideals? Do any of these TIDs help? 10086499 10099762 -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Sysop ...

Slow login with LDAP Contextless login enabled
Hi all, Has anyone run into the problem were users take over a minute to login? If the user does a logout and then login again without restarting the machine it takes 10 seconds. So the problem is only when the computer is restarted. If I disable the LDAP Contextless login in NWClient 4.92Sp2 the login takes 10 seconds and the problem is gone... The environment is NW6.5 SP6 ( I know, we will upgrade to SP8 as soon as possible :-) eDir is 8.7.3.9 and will also be upgraded asap. ZfD 4.00.1135 -- Bengtb --------------------------------------------------------------...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

ZCM login fails
I'm evaluating ZCM 10.3 running on Windows Server 2008 R2, one machine with XP SP3, Novell Client 4.91 SP5 and ZCM Client 10.3.0.27649 eDirectory as user source, the same username and password on windopws xp and eDir. Novell Client login is fine, but then I get ZCM login window with the same username. Entering the correct password brings me the message "Unable to log into the network because the login credentials or the server certificate is incorrect." I have reinstalled the Novell Client and tried a lot of things from TID 3273870 - no success - I just cannot logi...

LDAP Contextless login and Relative Distinguished Names (RDN) login
Is it possible to have BOTH LDAP Contextless login AND RDN login available AT THE SAME TIME? I'm asking because I would like to use contextless login but it would generate far less helpdesk call if I could still retain RDN login. When I tried it, it gave an LDAP error when I entered a RDN (ie, sylvain.adm instead of just sylvain) using the NW4.9SP1 client on Windows XP. Thanks. Not to my knowledge; only the "common name" portion goes into the "Username:" field and the actual context of that object goes into the "Context:" field. For the re...

Netware client not seeing new NW6 tree in login client
Hi everyone. I have a small tech lab, and had two NW servers running merely for training purposes. A 5.1 box and 6 box. Both ran fine and saw each other, etc.... I downed the 5.1 box and wiped the 6 box with a fresh install. All went well, created new NDS tree.....now on the client XP and 2KPRO, the netware client login app cannot find the new NDS tree on the freshly installed NW6 box, and the windows login fails too, all I can do is log in locally to the work station. What did I miss here? I checked the properties of the client app, wiped out any set preferences for the...

Win2K clients prompted for login while XP clients work fine
I have an ASP.NET 2 VB web application built in VS2005. It is deployed to a shared virtual directory on our Intranet site running on a Win2003Svr/IIS6 box. All setup is for Integrated Windows security. A user logged in on an XP box has no problem running the app. The same user on a Win2K Pro box is prompted for a login which fails regardless of validity and is bounced to a 401.3 error page. What up? sbunce:  A user logged in on an XP box has no problem running the app. The same user on a Win2K Pro box is prompted for a login which f...

Web resources about - Vista Client LDAP Contextless login - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Contextless Right-Wing Puke Funnel Video Good Enough for USDA Firing
I’m loath to jump on anything pushed by professional bully Andrew Breitbart, but since he rules the world of the traditional media and, apparently, ...

Contextless manga wtf - Imgur
Imgur is home to the web's most popular image content, curated in real time by a dedicated community through commenting, voting and sharing. ...

Mitt Romney Hoisted With His Own Contextless Petard
The Romney campaign thinks they have a winning Obama gaffe on their hands. At a Univision election forum this afternoon, President Obama admitted ...

Hugh Ryan (@Hugh_Ryan) on Twitter

Jonathan Martin, Future Gunner « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on ...
Guess the lawyers will sort out whatever happened between Richie Ingonito and Jonathan Martin.

Rewindy Isn't A Photo Sharing Service, It's A Story Platform
Over the years I've noticed that photos on Facebook, the world's largest photo sharing platform, are getting more and more contextless as people ...

“The Pacific”: A Regrettable Lack of Common Virtues
... Philippines. However, scenes in which Americans loot Japanese corpses for their gold teeth or murder wounded Japanese prisoners remain contextless ...

Even The Founder Of YouTube Can’t Stand Google+
Jawed Karim posts his first YouTube comment ever. Hard to see how these contextless, disembodied Google+ comments are an improvement, but hey! ...

Orioles announce slew of minor league coaches and staff
The Orioles announced all of their minor league coaches and player development staff on Thursday because it's not like there was anything else ...