Uninstalling without access to Windows workstation

Here's an interesting dilemma caused by combining the two most
frustrating
operating systems on the planet:

I installed NetWare client v. 4.90 on a laptop running Windows XP Home

Edition.  Unbeknownst to me, the laptop had a static IP address
configured
that's outside our network.  To change this, I'd normally log into the

Windows workstation, change the IP address settings and then connect
the tree.  Unfortuantely, for some unexplainable reason, none of the
WinXP
workstation accounts will log in.  Password invalid each time.  I even

tried a Windows password crack program to change and then to blank out
the
passwords and they still won't log in.

Now I can't connect to Novell or Windows.  Without the ability to get
into
Windows, I can't uninstall the Novell client to undo the damange!  Or
can
I?

Does anyone know a way to remove this piece of @#$% client from this
piece
of @#$% operating system without getting into the operating system?
Alternatively, does anyone know of a reason why the Novell client
would
prevent the Windows accounts from logging in?  Yes, I'm checking
the "Workstation only" box.

This should work, but it doesn't.  Novell should have included some
way of
removing the client without getting into Windows, but it seems they
didn't.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

0
dmiller

I've read in the Novell whitepaper on Installation and Administration
Guide
of the 4.9 Client, that it is not designed for XP Home Edition. Not
sure if
this is the actual cause, but it could be. Have you tried the utility
for
password recovery at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
For future reference, refer to Help and Support and lookup the words,
'password reset' for making a password reset disk.

-cpsharp

<dmiller@wolkintimpane.com> wrote in message
> Here's an interesting dilemma caused by combining the two most
frustrating
> operating systems on the planet:
>
> I installed NetWare client v. 4.90 on a laptop running Windows XP
> Edition.  Unbeknownst to me, the laptop had a static IP address
configured
> that's outside our network.  To change this, I'd normally log into
the
> Windows workstation, change the IP address settings and then connect
> the tree.  Unfortuantely, for some unexplainable reason, none of the
WinXP
> workstation accounts will log in.  Password invalid each time.  I
even
> tried a Windows password crack program to change and then to blank
out the
> passwords and they still won't log in.
>
> Now I can't connect to Novell or Windows.  Without the ability to
get into
> Windows, I can't uninstall the Novell client to undo the damange!
Or can
> I?
>
> Does anyone know a way to remove this piece of @#$% client from this
piece
> of @#$% operating system without getting into the operating system?
> Alternatively, does anyone know of a reason why the Novell client
would
> prevent the Windows accounts from logging in?  Yes, I'm checking
> the "Workstation only" box.
>
> This should work, but it doesn't.  Novell should have included some
way of
> removing the client without getting into Windows, but it seems they
didn't.

> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

0
Chris
11/6/2003 6:07:50 AM
First two paragraphs that will upset Mr. Miller:

Technically no novell client supports XP Home edition. Period.
The offical Novell line (unless it's changed in the last year and I
never
heard) is XP Home is not designed for networks and the Novell client
is not
supported on it (which is a statement Novell quotes from MS, to be
fair, and
you'll find that MS [if you called them] won't support XP Home
connecting to
anything except MS peer to peer - not netware, not domains, not AD,
not
unix).

However it does work in general - it just isn't supported at all. So
MOSTLY
that's politics since MOSTLY the code base is the same for home and
professional. Heck I've done it, though not with 4.90

here's what I'd try: hit F8 while booting up and do safe mode without
network you'll may  get in. Last known good config is sort of worth a
shot.
Also System Restore might be an option then too (but that requires a
login
too). Otherwise, time to boot the Windows CD and install to another
directory, because my guess (and wait for another person or two to
jump in,
cuz maybe I'm missing something.

I do worry that somehow installation of the client has corrupted the
registry or SAM, in which case things are bad. Very bad, because no
one runs
MSBACKUP to back that stuff up. I know - I suffered this (not because
of
novell client) a few months ago. Pretty awful. OTOH I'm not sure you'd
even
get to the Novell login in that case.

Finally Novell cannot include a way to remove the client without
logging in.
If you think about it (the way it integrates per MS spec, MS security
model), you'll know why. That's simply not an option for Novell.

--
Michael J. Bell
Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com)

PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked.
I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee!

All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's
unless
specifically identified as such.

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

"You've got a way to keep me on your side/You give me cause
for love that I can't hide/For you I know I'd even try to
turn the tide/Because you're mine, I walk the line"

Johnny Cash (RIP)

"Chris Sharp" <csharp46@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've read in the Novell whitepaper on Installation and
Administration
Guide
> of the 4.9 Client, that it is not designed for XP Home Edition. Not
sure
if
> this is the actual cause, but it could be. Have you tried the
utility for
> password recovery at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
> For future reference, refer to Help and Support and lookup the
words,
> 'password reset' for making a password reset disk.
>
> -cpsharp
>
> <dmiller@wolkintimpane.com> wrote in message
> > Here's an interesting dilemma caused by combining the two most
frustrating
> > operating systems on the planet:
> >
> > I installed NetWare client v. 4.90 on a laptop running Windows XP
> > Edition.  Unbeknownst to me, the laptop had a static IP address
configured
> > that's outside our network.  To change this, I'd normally log into
the
> > Windows workstation, change the IP address settings and then
connect to
> > the tree.  Unfortuantely, for some unexplainable reason, none of
the
WinXP
> > workstation accounts will log in.  Password invalid each time.  I
even
> > tried a Windows password crack program to change and then to blank
out
the
> > passwords and they still won't log in.
> >
> > Now I can't connect to Novell or Windows.  Without the ability to
get
into
> > Windows, I can't uninstall the Novell client to undo the damange!
Or
can
> > I?
> >
> > Does anyone know a way to remove this piece of @#$% client from
this
piece
> > of @#$% operating system without getting into the operating
system?
> > Alternatively, does anyone know of a reason why the Novell client
would
> > prevent the Windows accounts from logging in?  Yes, I'm checking
> > the "Workstation only" box.
> >
> > This should work, but it doesn't.  Novell should have included
some way
of
> > removing the client without getting into Windows, but it seems
they
> didn't.
> >
> > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

0
Michael
11/6/2003 9:07:49 AM
dmiller,

Boot into safe mode, go into regedit, change
hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon\ginadll from

nwgina.dll to msgina.dll - reboot.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://speirs.mine.nu

(No email unless requested please)

0
Hamish
11/6/2003 6:59:15 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your kind, if discouraging, replies.
Unfortunately,
the laptop won't boot into any form of safe mode.  I still get a
Windows
XP login screen and none of the user accounts will log in, despite
having
blanked the passwords.  Frankly, I have no idea what's going on with
this,
so I guess it's ultimately a Novell/XP Home Edition incompatibility
issue,
like Mr. Bell said.  I understand your point about needing access to
the
OS in order to uninstall the client; it just blows my mind that you
can
install something that so fundamentally screws up your system that the

entire OS needs to be reinstalled.  If I ever get past resolving
Novell
issues long enough to learn Linux, Novell will be running on one fewer

network.  IMHO they took a decent NOS and junked it up with all this
Java,
GUI, workstation-driven crap in order to chase Microsoft's tail.  When

you're installing a client with a name like 4.83 Service Pack 2 Update
and still reading countless TIDs describing problems with *it* (and
that's
just the client!) you might as well give up the ghost, which is pretty

much what Novell seems to be doing.

Thanks again for the help, though!  You volunteers make running a
Novell
network POSSIBLE.

0
dmiller
11/7/2003 12:05:29 AM
Mr Miller - you don't need the Novell client. You can use the Windows
client
if running NW 6.0 and above with NFA enabled.

The novell client is needed only for ConsoleOne and a few older novell

products.

--

> Thanks, everyone, for your kind, if discouraging, replies.
Unfortunately,
> the laptop won't boot into any form of safe mode.  I still get a
Windows
> XP login screen and none of the user accounts will log in, despite
having
> blanked the passwords.  Frankly, I have no idea what's going on with
this,
> so I guess it's ultimately a Novell/XP Home Edition incompatibility
issue,
> like Mr. Bell said.  I understand your point about needing access to
the
> OS in order to uninstall the client; it just blows my mind that you
can
> install something that so fundamentally screws up your system that
the
> entire OS needs to be reinstalled.  If I ever get past resolving
Novell
> issues long enough to learn Linux, Novell will be running on one
fewer
> network.  IMHO they took a decent NOS and junked it up with all this
Java,
> GUI, workstation-driven crap in order to chase Microsoft's tail.
When
> you're installing a client with a name like 4.83 Service Pack 2
Update E
> and still reading countless TIDs describing problems with *it* (and
that's
> just the client!) you might as well give up the ghost, which is
pretty
> much what Novell seems to be doing.
>
> Thanks again for the help, though!  You volunteers make running a
Novell
> network POSSIBLE.

0
Michael
11/7/2003 2:56:52 AM
dmiller,

> Thanks, everyone, for your kind, if discouraging, replies.
Unfortunately,
> the laptop won't boot into any form of safe mode.

Then something is seriously fouled up on the system. You should be
able to
start it in safe mode and access it the desktop/regedit. You could try
booting
to the recovery console, renaming nwgina.dll to somthing else, then
renaming
msgina.dll to nwgina.dll, however if you can't boot in safe mode, then
suspect something is seriously hosed on the workstation.

> I still get a Windows XP login screen and none of the user accounts
will log
> in, despite having
> blanked the passwords.

How'd you blank the passwords?

> Frankly, I have no idea what's going on with this, so I guess it's
> ultimately a Novell/XP Home Edition incompatibility issue,

As others have said, and I can attest to, the client does run on XP
Home, its
just not supported.

> it just blows my mind that you can install something that so
fundamentally
> screws up your system that the
> entire OS needs to be reinstalled.

I've seen MS Patches do that to their own OS. When installing any
piece of
software its always possible that a conflict will arise that will
prevent
proper functioning.

> If I ever get past resolving Novell issues long enough to learn
Linux,
> Novell will be running on one fewer
> network.

Put Novell Linux on instead :)

>  IMHO they took a decent NOS and junked it up with all this Java,
> GUI, workstation-driven crap in order to chase Microsoft's tail.
When
> you're installing a client with a name like 4.83 Service Pack 2
Update E
> and still reading countless TIDs describing problems with *it* (and
that's
> just the client!)

So I'm better off with W2K? One of my machines is on SP4, its been a
couple of
weeks since I've done the Windows Update routine on it, it tells me
there are
15 critical updates and 7 recommended updates to install.

> you might as well give up the ghost, which is pretty much what
Novell seems
> to be doing.

Have to disagree.

> Thanks again for the help, though!  You volunteers make running a
Novell
> network POSSIBLE.

Thanks :)

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://speirs.mine.nu

(No email unless requested please)

0
Hamish

Accessing Files from Netware Box without Edirectory Access?
Is there a way to get access to files on a Netware 6.5 box that has been removed from the tree? We had a user who was using the old server to store files and not the new one up until we removed it from the tree and shut it down. Now I have to get back in to the server and get her files. Is there a local admin login or something that I can use to get in to the server now that it doesn't see Edirectory? -- seth_turner_04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ From the console, yes, but not from a workstation. If there's a floppy d...

Windows 98SE to Windows XP Pro Workstation Upgrade
We have upgraded a single Windows 98SE client to Windows XP Pro with the Novell Client v4.9sp1a and need to keep the locally attached printer as a network share. The network consists of Windows 98SE clients, some setup with network shared (local) printers using NPTWIN95.EXE, and a Netware 4.11 Server with PSERVER.NLM installed and NPRINTER.NLS for the shared server attached printer . I think NDPS was designed to replace Nprinter in Netware 5 and above for Windows 2000/XP clients, however we have a Netware 4.11 Server and still need to network share the locally attached printer on...

Windows XP SP1 lost window explorer access, help please.
Hello, Here's the situation. This gal brings her computer to me to help her with her problem. She tells me that she has all the updates from windows update. In the past, I had installed all the security software for her, and instructed her how to use them. She is quite knowledgeable, so I believe she is surfing safely. The problem is that when trying to access windows explorer, all we get is the flashlight swinging back and forth in the right hand pane. At first, this was only in the admin account, and access was allowed in the user account, but normal restrictions applied,...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Windows XP SP3 Update Breaks Windows Home Server Remote Access
</quot> Windows Home Server users are reporting Remote Access problems after updating their home computers to Windows XP Service Pack 3. Following the update, attempting to access those home computers via Windows Home Server's Remote Access features brings up a dialog asking the user to add their homeserver.com domain to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Explorer. However, after doing so, users are still not able to access those PCs. The issue arises due to security changes in XP SP3 - namely, that the Terminal Services ActiveX control in Internet Explorer is disa...

Problem accessing sql server on windows server 2003 from windows xp or another domain
Hi, i am digamber i have created a .Net class library for data access, I have sql server 2000 installed in windows server 2003. but when i try to access the database from another domain where we are creating Presentation logic like we are accessing it from winXP, i  am getting a sql server does not exist or access denied error message, but it is running well when i connect from same Domain having sql server 2000 installed i.e windows 2003 server. I am not understanding the cause of problem, i have active directroy installed on the windows server 2003 but other domains are not part ...

Question on utility NWADMIN for NetWare 4.0 which are compatible with Windows 2000 Pro Windows XP Pro
Good afternoon! On a file server it is established NetWare 4.0. Earlier management of this server was carried out by means of utility NWADMIN95 which is established on the computer with Windows 98SE and Client32. Now there is a question of installation on all computers Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. Thus on official site Novell.com i have found utilities NWADMIN and Client32 only for NetWare 5.0 and later versions. Though these utilities are compatible with Windows 2000/XP Pro, these utilities are incompatible with Netware 4.0. Ask to inf...

.NET Framework Version 1.1.4322
Hello to all members , I have a problem with .NET Framework Version 1.1.4322 on my server. The problem is about the registry file , there are missing keys and permission issue. I would like to uninstall .NET Framework Version 1.1.4322 and I search for Micrsoft way for uninstalling it without doing any trick. first I though , how that framework become to the server ? and I have found that it was installed together with the SP1 of windows 2003 server. I don't want to uninstall the SP1. all I want is to unistall the .NET Framework Version 1.1.4322 without the need of unistalling th...

Proposal Round 2: Drop active support of Windows 2000, Windows XP (no service pack) and Windows XP SP1
See the previous thread for the story so far: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/67ddcaa5c897a58b# What seems to be a reasonable step is to declare that Windows XP SP2 is the lowest supported version of Windows. Older versions will not be blocked from working based on current plans, but are considered unsupported. What Unsupported Means: * No tinderbox coverage * No QA coverage * No unit test or talos performance coverage * Bugs only affecting these platforms will not be considered as blocking any release 1.9.2 or later. ** We wil...

Windows XP workstations crashing
OK, Here's the scenario: Windows XP clients started reporting to us that their machines were freezing up. When we asked them to define it more clearly, it all seemed to come out randomly. No error messages are given. No event log messages. Task Manager won't open whilst the machine is in it's crashed state(making the troubleshooting process extremely difficult). The only correlation i could make was related to either two things: 1. The clients with the problems have 4.9 Netware clients installed, while the ones not experiencing the issues have 4.83 versions. ...

Windows XP workstations crashing
OK, Here's the scenario: Windows XP clients started reporting to us that their machines were freezing up. When we asked them to define it more clearly, it all seemed to come out randomly. No error messages are given. No event log messages. Task Manager won't open whilst the machine is in it's crashed state(making the troubleshooting process extremely difficult). The only correlation i could make was related to either two things: 1. The clients with the problems have 4.9 Netware clients installed, while the ones not experiencing the issues have 4.83 versions. ...

netware access without NC
Hello, Lot of my users need to access Netware from Home thru' VPN. We don't want to force these users to install NC at home. How do they access it without NC? I tried setting up simple password which didn't work. CIFSCFG.txt issue? Currently I have: O=contextname OU=IT.contextname Please help. Thanks, Kris doesn't answer your qeustion directly but... you could install netstorage and/or ifolder if they just need access to files.... -- Cheers! Richard Beels ~ Network Consultant ~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection ~ M...

Web resources about - Uninstalling without access to Windows workstation - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Facebook Apps Draining Your Batteries? Try Uninstalling And Using Its Mobile Site
Reports continue to circulate that Facebook’s mobile applications are draining the batteries of users’ devices , so Kevin Purdy, who writes the ...

Facebook Apps Draining Your Batteries? Try Uninstalling And Using Its Mobile Site - SocialTimes
Reports continue to circulate that Facebook’s mobile applications are draining the batteries of users’ devices , so Kevin Purdy, who writes the ...

Win7 Driver Issues? Microsoft, AMD Recommend Uninstalling KB3004394
... to be fine – but Microsoft has not taken any chances and has pulled the update . In the meantime for those users that are affected, uninstalling ...

Google Play edition Z Ultra software bug prevents uninstalling applications
Critical software flaw restarts UI when trying to remove a user-installed application

Free up disk space by uninstalling unwanted software with Should I Remove It?
... which it’s removed by other program users, with the most-often-dumped at the top. Presumably the theory here is that if everyone else is uninstalling ...

John McAfee's (insane, NSFW) tips for uninstalling McAfee
McAfee mocks himself and his antivirus software mercilessly in a new viral video.

Can you take it with you? Uninstalling the internet of things
While everyone at CES is attempting to entice consumers into buying a bunch of connected gizmos, I thought we should talk about the flip side ...

Gadgetwise Blog: Q&A: Uninstalling Toolbars in Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer has options for removing unwanted third-party toolbars and other add-ons from the browser window.

John McAfee releases bizarre video about uninstalling his old anti-virus software.
After watching this gloriously NSFW video multiple times, the only things I know for sure is that John McAfee clearly isn't a fan of his former ...

Google Photos uploads your pics even after uninstalling the app
It looks like Google Photos will continue uploading your photos even after you uninstall the app itself on Android phones. David Arnott, Nashville ...