the specified network provider name is invalid

client 4.91 on w2ksp4
logging on is OK, loginscript runs without errors, drive mappings are OK
browsing Novell connections gives an empty screen
browsing novell directory services or netware servers produces the error
message. no objects are being displayed.

anyone, any clue??

0
Peter

Peter,

Sounds like a name resolution issue.

Any additional components of the client installed?
What protocols are bound to the client?

Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?

Security or any other service/driver-based software like firewall, VPN,
remote management or antivirus up and running?

--
Tony Pedretti

0
Tony
5/13/2005 3:46:11 AM
thx tony,

> Sounds like a name resolution issue.
name resolution is nds and slp, slpinfo gives a dhcp sourced scoped da on 2
servers. this is correct as far as i can see

> Any additional components of the client installed?
ndps, nmas, nici. no zen

> What protocols are bound to the client?
ip only

> Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
installed from scratch. has been working in the past. can't remember when
this thing started.

> Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?
not really. there are some explainable errors

> Security or any other service/driver-based software like firewall, VPN,
> remote management or antivirus up and running?
as a test i disabled the realtime virsu scanner and the firewall. there are
two additional networkproviders, an aegis client from the wifi card, and an
odyssey client from the UMTS card. they are disabled in the lan profile.

0
Peter
5/13/2005 5:51:14 AM
i figured it out. the error is introduced by fix 491_novnpnt_0. when i
'unfix' the workstation everything is OK.

thx.

0
Peter
5/13/2005 7:39:15 AM
Peter,

> i figured it out. the error is introduced by fix 491_novnpnt_0. when i
> 'unfix' the workstation everything is OK.

Which patch? I don't see a 491_novnpnt_0 out there.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
5/13/2005 12:47:40 PM
Peter,

I don't see it either.  Is that a non-public patch?
In any case, you'll probably want to report back to Novell about this issue.

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

0
Tony
5/13/2005 1:34:41 PM
It used to be a public beta patch.  Then it was pulled in less than a
week.  Must have caused some sort of issue browsing Network
Neighborhood... ;)

"Peter van de Meerendonk" <peter.van.de.meerendonk.not@this.adp.nl>
wrote:

> i figured it out. the error is introduced by fix 491_novnpnt_0. when i
> 'unfix' the workstation everything is OK.
>
> thx.

Alan Adams, MCNE
0
Alan
5/13/2005 3:41:10 PM
alan,

> It used to be a public beta patch.  Then it was pulled in less than a
> week.  Must have caused some sort of issue browsing Network
> Neighborhood... ;)

That would explain it <g> I did a quick scan of the "What's new"
announcements ands didn't see it.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
5/14/2005 2:52:12 AM
it was released on april 5th, and the readme file stated:

NOVELL TECHNICAL INFORMATION DOCUMENT

TITLE:  Novell Client post-4.91 NOVNPNT.DLL
TID #:  2971140
README FOR:  491_novnpnt_0.exe

NOVELL PRODUCTS and VERSIONS:
Novell Client v4.91 for Windows 2000/XP

ISSUE:

Thank you for field testing this beta patch. Please send feedback regarding
the
results of your testing (positive or negative) to: patchfeedback@novell.com.
Use the name of the patch as the subject of the message. Your detailed
comments
are appreciated.

This version of NOVNPNT.DLL fixes the following issues seen with the 4.91
code:
1. IBM laptop with built in finger print reader can't unlock workstation
with
Novell Client install. See TID 10096485. (10402)

2. Displaying Novell policy option when password change is from Windows
expiration. (10629)

Self-Extracting File Name: 491_novnpnt_0.exe

    Files Included          Size         Date          Time
...\
 491_NOVNPNT_0.TXT   (This file)
_491_NOVNPNT_0.INF           880     4-4-2005    5:10:06 pm
...\REDIR\
       NOVNPNT.DLL        835666     4-1-2005   11:20:32 am

> > It used to be a public beta patch.  Then it was pulled in less than a
> > week.  Must have caused some sort of issue browsing Network
> > Neighborhood... ;)
>
> That would explain it <g> I did a quick scan of the "What's new"
> announcements ands didn't see it.

0
Peter
5/15/2005 2:18:13 PM
Peter,
> it was released on april 5th,

Okay, didn't scan that far back.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish

Provider: TCP Provider, error: 0
 Hi guys,  I recently developed a website for one of my client and today client report that i face random error sometime when i access some pages.The complete error description are shown below.A transport-level error has occured when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available. Can any one told me from which reason this error generated and how to resolve it, Client host website on shared hosting plan and uses SQL SERVER 2005 as database management system.Thanks. >> Web Developer This mean...

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0
I have no clue what this error means: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) I get it when my webconfig connection string tries to authenticate against a SQL Server 2005 DatabaseWhen is Microsoft going to get rid of VB.NET! Does the same connection string work outside of your application as in from SQL Server management studio or within VS.NET ?Eric RamseurRainbow Portal 2.0 AdminDownload Rainbow 2.0!!Rainbow Code Rain...

The membership provider name specified is invalid.
I have the following in my web.config   <connectionStrings> <add name="DB_WebSecurity" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=d:\WEBPAGES\App_Data\Security.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=XX;" /> </connectionStrings>   I use this to validate a user login. This works fine. The strange thing is that I get errors when using the same connection string to try to get all the users (using the membership provider function GetAllUsers(...). I receive the following error: The membership provider name...

The membership provider name specified is invalid. #2
Hi everyone,I've been developing a custom provider that uses remoting. I have two classes, RemotingMembershipProvider located on the web server and MyMembership which is located on another computer.RemotingMembershipProvider simply makes calls to MyMembership. MyMembership does all the work found in other providers (ie, creating users, reseting passwords, etc.)I constantly get this error:The membership provider name specified is invalid.Parameter name: providerNameThe code on the web site looks like this:Public Class RemotingMembershipProvider    Inherits MembershipProvider&nb...

Invalid OLE DB provide name specified
Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4 My Connection String is as follows: trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB" trans_smulb.LogId = "sa" trans_smulb.DBParm = "PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'" Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified". I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compuls...

The membership provider name specified is invalid. #3
I have made custom class for MembershipProvider. When I use its method Createuser(), it throws the following exception :- The membership provider name specified is invalid. Stange part is, my method (createuser()) works fine...it saves records in the DB...but in the end it throws the said exception. My Web Config. (partially) is as follows:<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="CustomMembershipProvider"> <providers><clear/> <add connectionStringName="DbConnectionString" applicationName="/" name="CustomMembers...

Unable to start debuggin on the web server. The format of the specified network name is invalid.
 Hello all,            I have been pulling my hair out with this error. I have search high and low and cannot find any resolutions. I receive this error when I try to start debugging: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The format of the specified network name is invalid. My web servers is running Windows Server 2003. I am using VS2005 Pro. I am a member of a domain. The remote debugger appears to be installed correctly and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated and would stop me from going insane. Olan HallOHall WebServi...

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0
A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - An unexpected network error occurred.)   if my application background thread is running the above error shown . how can remove it?    Hi,priyanka Try These Links http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=338537&SiteID=1 http://www.scribd.com/doc/230645/Question-Book         PLZ MARK AS ANSWER IF IT HELP U. THANKS. RAGHAV MVP ASP/ASP.Net Read My Blog MARK THE POST AS ANSWER IF IT HELPS U. "Su...

The specified network name is no longer available
 We run a busy testing site.  We have been getting a lot of errors lately.  Here is one of them that I have not been able to figure out:  Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ...

The Specified network name is no longer available
I have a few users after they unlock there workstations and try to click on one of the network drive such as F: they get this error "The Specified network name is no longer available" To fix this problem they have to reboot but every time they unlock there workstation this error comes up. Also after they reboot then they get another msg saying " You are logged into too may workstations" Any suggestions? It is a desktop Hp Dc530 and Windows xp. Thanks This looks like the workstation lost the connection to the server. If the workstation configured to ...

Network Provider Order on XP SP2
Hi All I'm having a problem with a single workstation, no matter what I try (change registry, reinstall client), it shows the Windows Client as a higher priority than the Novell Client. I can't change the order in Network -> Advanced, the buttons are greyed out. Any ideas? -- /fribse This can be changed by manually editing the registry.................... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\ProviderOrder. "NetwareGuy" <fribse2004@yahoo.dk> wrote in message news:bL5rh.1402$Sz4.1371@prv-forum2.provo.nov...

The specified network name is no longer available
Hello,since I am running my ASP. NET Application on Windows Server 2008 with IIS7, I get very often such error messages:Error Message: The specified network name is no longer available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070040)Stack Trace:   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)   at System.Web.Util.Misc.ThrowIfFailedHr(Int32 hresult)   at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)   at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent...

The application configuration name specified is invalid (DA12).
We have a GW 6.5.2 system running on 3 NW 6.5 servers. We have a primary domain with only one test PO on one server, then a secondary domain with one large PO on a second server. We are moving 6.04 post offices from remote sites connected by GIG circuits to a third NW 6.5 server where we test them, then upgrade them to 6.5.2, then we move the users to the main PO on the 2nd server. We have done several POs this way and on most, at some point after upgrading the PO to 6.5.2, we get this error when starting the POA: The application configuration name specified is invalid (DA12). Y...

CIFS
Server is NW 6.5 sp7. When I browse from my WinXP PC I can see my Server-W listed. If I double click on the server, I do not get a login prompt, but after awhile the message comes up: "\\Server-w is not available. You might not have permission to use this nework resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer availble." On the server if I type cifs share I only see IPC$, not _ADMIN, SYS, VOL1. I have created a SYS share in iManger, and a Test share pointing to sys:temp, but this...

Web resources about - the specified network provider name is invalid - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Casio Smart Outdoor Watch to Launch in April, Priced at $499
Casio is set to enter the Android Wear market, as announced this afternoon at CES. Called the Smart Outdoor Watch , Casio’s offering will be ...

Emanuel opposes federal probe of Law Dept. after city lawyer lied in police ...
Chicago Tribune Emanuel opposes federal probe of Law Dept. after city lawyer lied in police ... Chicago Tribune Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday ...

Saudi Foreign Minister to Iran Amid Diplomatic Crisis: 'Stop Being Aggressive'
NBCNews.com Saudi Foreign Minister to Iran Amid Diplomatic Crisis: 'Stop Being Aggressive' NBCNews.com Saudi Arabia's foreign minister says ...

ISIS's New 'Jihadi John' ID'd as Former Bounce House Salesman
Well, that explains Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s new residence : The masked militant in an Islamic State video showing the killing of five men accused ...

#TerribleIdea: Twitter might extend the limit from 140 to 10,000 characters
Soon you will be able to post your literary opus in a single tweet. According to Re/code , Twitter is considering expanding the maximum length ...

Watch: Archival Video: Steven Avery Faces Murder Charges
Barbara Pinto reports about the "Making a Murderer" star's legal troubles on Nov. 28, 2005.

Full Episode: GMA 01/05/16: US Markets Plunge After Chinese Stock Woes, Mideast Instability
'Star Wars' Secret Iceland Filming Location Revealed; Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez 'Cried a Ton' After Mistaken Crowning

College Football Playoff Committee Drops the Ball on New Year's Eve
Year two of the College Football Playoff series took a beating, as the governing committee's refusal to shift the Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl ...

LCD Soundsystem is releasing a new album, which is rude and perfect
Leave it to James Murphy to turn giving fans everything they want into a dick move After swearing five years ago that LCD Soundsystem was over ...

Next-generation Wi-Fi 802.11ah announced with almost double the range, lower power
Wi-Fi HaLow (802.11ah) is targeted at the Internet of Things (IoT), which includes the smart home, connected car, and digital healthcare, as ...