Terminal serivices, Netware client 4.91.4, and login issue

Hello there,

Back in April we were having problems logging in to Novell through a
Terminal services session on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server.  At the
time it was recommended we update both the Novell Client(Now 4.91.4)
and the terminal services client.  For a while that seemed to resolve
the login issue. However, now it has returned.  

I ran packet traces using WireShark and found that NMAS is returning a
-1642 Login Failed message when the client contacts our GroupWise
server (Our sole SLES 9 OES1 We have applied all patches from the
channel and all service packs)  to process the login.  This gives a
login failed message to the user who then can click OK, Type in their
password, and then authenticate.  

If the client connects to our main File server (SLES 10 SP2 OES2 SP1)
then the login is handled correctly and the Terminal session succeeds.


I did a DS trace on the GroupWise server and on the first instance of
a connection I get 4 errors:

ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 failed
ERROR: -1642 Login Method
ERROR: -1642 NMAS Manager

After the user types in their password and tries to login, I receive
the following

ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 successful
WhatNext
Successful login


What should I be taking away from this information?  

What is truly annoying is that a user can connect 20 or 30 times in a
row to our main file server and then one odd time it goes to the
GroupWise server and we are frooped.  The terminal services machine
never tries to authenticate to any of the Netware 6.5 SP7-8 servers we
have on the network  It all ways goes straight to the GroupWise
server.

Any help is appreciated.

Dan Larson

0
Dan
9/23/2009 4:14:42 PM
novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp 10573 articles. 1 followers. Follow

2 Replies
1035 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

Any thoughts?  Is more information needed?


On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:14:42 GMT, Dan Larson <dlarson@millerandco.com>
wrote:

>Hello there,
>
>Back in April we were having problems logging in to Novell through a
>Terminal services session on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server.  At the
>time it was recommended we update both the Novell Client(Now 4.91.4)
>and the terminal services client.  For a while that seemed to resolve
>the login issue. However, now it has returned.  
>
>I ran packet traces using WireShark and found that NMAS is returning a
>-1642 Login Failed message when the client contacts our GroupWise
>server (Our sole SLES 9 OES1 We have applied all patches from the
>channel and all service packs)  to process the login.  This gives a
>login failed message to the user who then can click OK, Type in their
>password, and then authenticate.  
>
>If the client connects to our main File server (SLES 10 SP2 OES2 SP1)
>then the login is handled correctly and the Terminal session succeeds.
>
>
>I did a DS trace on the GroupWise server and on the first instance of
>a connection I get 4 errors:
>
>ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
>MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 failed
>ERROR: -1642 Login Method
>ERROR: -1642 NMAS Manager
>
>After the user types in their password and tries to login, I receive
>the following
>
>ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
>MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 successful
>WhatNext
>Successful login
>
>
>What should I be taking away from this information?  
>
>What is truly annoying is that a user can connect 20 or 30 times in a
>row to our main file server and then one odd time it goes to the
>GroupWise server and we are frooped.  The terminal services machine
>never tries to authenticate to any of the Netware 6.5 SP7-8 servers we
>have on the network  It all ways goes straight to the GroupWise
>server.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Dan Larson
0
Dan
9/28/2009 4:45:50 PM
There was an update to SP8 - nmas3313nw.zip that had a bunch of fixes.
I was having the same problem with the T/S 2003.  I think this fixed it
(quite a while ago though for me to be sure).  My T/S has not had any
login issues in a long time now.  I'm also using SP5 (with updates) on
the 4.91 client.

Dan Larson wrote:

> Any thoughts?  Is more information needed?
> 
> 
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:14:42 GMT, Dan Larson <dlarson@millerandco.com>
> wrote:
> 
> > Hello there,
> > 
> > Back in April we were having problems logging in to Novell through a
> > Terminal services session on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server.  At
> > the time it was recommended we update both the Novell Client(Now
> > 4.91.4) and the terminal services client.  For a while that seemed
> > to resolve the login issue. However, now it has returned.  
> > 
> > I ran packet traces using WireShark and found that NMAS is
> > returning a -1642 Login Failed message when the client contacts our
> > GroupWise server (Our sole SLES 9 OES1 We have applied all patches
> > from the channel and all service packs)  to process the login.
> > This gives a login failed message to the user who then can click
> > OK, Type in their password, and then authenticate.  
> > 
> > If the client connects to our main File server (SLES 10 SP2 OES2
> > SP1) then the login is handled correctly and the Terminal session
> > succeeds.
> > 
> > 
> > I did a DS trace on the GroupWise server and on the first instance
> > of a connection I get 4 errors:
> > 
> > ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
> > MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 failed
> > ERROR: -1642 Login Method
> > ERROR: -1642 NMAS Manager
> > 
> > After the user types in their password and tries to login, I receive
> > the following
> > 
> > ERROR: -1697 MAF_GetPassword LSM 0x00000007
> > MAF_End LSM 0x00000007 successful
> > WhatNext
> > Successful login
> > 
> > 
> > What should I be taking away from this information?  
> > 
> > What is truly annoying is that a user can connect 20 or 30 times in
> > a row to our main file server and then one odd time it goes to the
> > GroupWise server and we are frooped.  The terminal services machine
> > never tries to authenticate to any of the Netware 6.5 SP7-8 servers
> > we have on the network  It all ways goes straight to the GroupWise
> > server.
> > 
> > Any help is appreciated.
> > 
> > Dan Larson
0
Steve
10/9/2009 3:22:28 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

ISSUE netware info NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1
I have Novell 5 SP6 server (IP and IPX).I am using NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1 on WinXP SP1, SP2 workstations - IP protocol is used. When i open netware info tab on XP machine - no information is present (look at screenshot). There is an directory with cyech diactics.When I use NW client 4.83 or 4.90 all informations are present. Thanks for your reply. begin 666 Nw issue.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_X0`617AI9@``24DJ``@```````````#_ MVP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L M(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R...

ISSUE netware info NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1
I have Novell 5 SP6 server (IP and IPX).I am using NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1 on WinXP SP1, SP2 workstations - IP protocol is used. When i open netware info tab on XP machine - no information is present (look at screenshot). There is an directory with czech diacritics.When I use NW client 4.83 or 4.90 all informations are present. Thanks for your reply. begin 666 Nw issue.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_X0`617AI9@``24DJ``@```````````#_ MVP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L M(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R<Y...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP and Netware 4.11 / NWADMIN does not start
Hello. I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32). NWADMN95 works. NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32) still works from an old W2K client. I tried the W2K compatability mode, but not success. No error message, just nothing happens after doubleclick on NWADMIN32. Thanks for help, Michael Michael, > I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were > W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start N...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

netware 4.11 and client 4.91
Can I use the 4.91 client on xp pro workstations connected to a NW 4.11 server? We've just deployed a bunch of new winxp pro computers, and are starting to get complaints that after logging in, all the novell network drives are missing. Subsequent logons (after several) seems to fix the problem at least for a little bit. Or maybe there's another solution? (Upgrading does not count, sorry!) Thanks. wh@photosourcefolio.com wrote: > Can I use the 4.91 client on xp pro workstations connected to a NW 4.11 > server? Not recommended. Best to use v4.83 SP2 whi...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Netware 4.0 Compatibility with Client 4.9 on XP
My server is running NetWare 4.0 and all of my Windows 98 workstations (running client 3.32) are able to login perfectly fine. I just got a new P4 Windows XP workstation though and installed the XP client 4.9 sp2, and that one will not login at all, it doesn't even show the tress or server in the advanced tab. Does anyone know how this could be corrected? Make sure to run the installation with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' options. Also, v4.9 is not the recommended client for NetWare4.x - you should uninstall it and install this client: http://www.novell.com/coolsol...

Windows XP Netware Client and Netware 4.11 server
I am having some odd problems with this combination. Most of our client machines are W98 and the login script seems to work just fine. The new Windows XP Pro computer I am trying to add to the network doesn't seem to behave the same as my W2K Pro computers using the same Novell Client. Login times and NetWare rescource access times were very long so I removed the IP support from the Novell Client, specified the 802.3 frame used by the 4.11 server and specified its actual network number in the NWLink protocol settings. That helped one login user: everything worked nicely, l...

Netware 4.91 #4
I am a computer literacy teacher. My computer classes are housed on the Novell server in our building. One of the problems we are experiencing are security issues. A student, not enrolled in my class, was able to logon to a school computer and delete my sixth hour class. When I contacted my IT department they tried to restore the class but it was unsuccessful. I now see empty folders. I have tried to get the IT people to deny access to my class folders to everyone except my students, but they say it isn't possible. However, the office personnel has office folders on the share...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Unable to Create Shortcuts with Netware Client 4.90 and 4.91
Just installed several Gateway E-Series 4300 computers with Windows Xp, SP2 on my Netware 5.1 network. Added the Windows Client for Netware so I could map a drive to my servers. Tried creating a new shortcut on the desktop using the "right-click, New/Shortcut" procedure. Everything worked fine. After I installed the Netware 4.91 client, the computer locks when I click on "New". Only way to get out is to reboot or LogOff. Tried installing the 4.90 client with SP2, but got the same result. Seem to recall a similar problem with W2k machines and the 4.90 clien...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Web resources about - Terminal serivices, Netware client 4.91.4, and login issue - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Apple severs board ties with Google, buys mapping serivice, readies for a fight
With an FTC investigation pending, another round of ties are severed between the two companies

The Jones Group Inc.
Welcome to the company profile of The Jones Group Inc. on LinkedIn. The Jones Group Inc. (www.jonesgroupinc.com) is a leading global designer, ...

Christine Braunstein (@steenbee) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

National Register of Historic Places listings in Erie County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Erie County, Pennsylvania . This is intended to be a complete list of ...

Presto Vivace
... The recent proposal to permit Internet service providers to offer tiered services would further undermine the American Internet. Already serivice ...

About Marc » Atoms and Numbers
Contact Marc Leger by email: atomsandnumbers@gmail.com I am a scientist who has always been curious and fascinated by how our universe works. ...

Aircraft and recreational vehicle storage in Bakersfield, California
Recreational Vehicle Storage Available In Bakersfield California.

Online Reputation Management - Search Engine Reputation Management - Manage Online Reputation
Search engine reputation management firm Bayshore Solutions offers online reputation management services for companies nationwide. We specialize ...

DPP file based programme delivery - BBC Digital Media Serivices
DPP file based programme delivery demystified by BBC Studios and Post Production Digital Media Services


Resources last updated: 11/25/2015 1:23:08 AM