speeding up the Novell client?

We are running in to a problem with a reporting application.  I'm sure it's
a poorly written app that doesn't use disk calls efficiently but the problem
still exists.

Here are some speed tests we've done, running the same report from the same
PC.  Other PCs show similar times, so it is nothing special about that
particular device.  The AD and OES devices are in the same data center, so
the same WAN and networking paths are used.

AD Windows 2008 volume share:									11 minutes
AD Windows 2003 volume share:									13 minutes
OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume accessed via Novell client 4.91.5.2:		48
minutes
OES 2 sp2 NSS volume accessed via Novell client:					45 minutes
OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume access via CIFS (Novell client
uninstalled):	20 minutes

What can I do to get my OES servers to have similar performance to the
Microsoft servers?  The client is Windows XP sp3.

We can deal with a little performance difference but with the report running
that much faster on MS servers isn't a ringing endorsement of the Novell
technology.

Ideas?  TIDs?  Client or server tweaks?

thanks,

Todd Bowman
Senior Network Analyst
University of Minnesota Physicians
612-884-0744

tbowman@umphysicians.umn.edu

On 22.02.2012 16:12, T. Bowman wrote:
> We are running in to a problem with a reporting application.  I'm sure it's
> a poorly written app that doesn't use disk calls efficiently but the problem
> still exists.
>
> Here are some speed tests we've done, running the same report from the same
> PC.  Other PCs show similar times, so it is nothing special about that
> particular device.  The AD and OES devices are in the same data center, so
> the same WAN and networking paths are used.
>
> AD Windows 2008 volume share:									11 minutes
> AD Windows 2003 volume share:									13 minutes
> OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume accessed via Novell client 4.91.5.2:		48
> minutes
> OES 2 sp2 NSS volume accessed via Novell client:					45 minutes
> OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume access via CIFS (Novell client
> uninstalled):	20 minutes
>
> What can I do to get my OES servers to have similar performance to the
> Microsoft servers?  The client is Windows XP sp3.
>
> We can deal with a little performance difference but with the report running
> that much faster on MS servers isn't a ringing endorsement of the Novell
> technology.
>
> Ideas?  TIDs?  Client or server tweaks?

At a guess, I'd say you have oplocking enabled for CIFS all the way
through, but disabled for the Novell client. With poorly written apps,
the speed difference is enormous.

I suggest to open a call with Novell.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner

Yes sometimes you get that big differences - we had/have similar issues
with an application, where the response time varied between 10 to 45
secs. In our case CIFS on OES2SP3 belonged to the slowest, but Windows
server 2008 was by ways the fastest. In the meantime I switched to
Windows 2008R2 for our file server as I calculated, that the time lost
by users using a Novell file server compared to them using a Windows
file server outweighs the additional cost of the Windows licenses after
a little bit of more than 1 year of usage.

And i know, that there is something wrong in the OES implementation as
we used Netware before with that application against WinXP PCs and
there CIFS on Netware was always among the fastest - so no need to
switch. But with Win7, CIFS on Netware was not so good as before, as we
got all sort of other problems, so that and the pending end of support
for Netware pushed us to OES2, which in fact pushed our file server to
Windows. (And as a sidenote the Windows fileserver (no other special
services) is running rock-solid if you don't run updates from time to
time (which is not so critical as it is not connected to the internet)
you get uptimes like you had in the good old Netware times).
--
W. Prindl

T. Bowman wrote:

>We are running in to a problem with a reporting application.  I'm
>sure it's a poorly written app that doesn't use disk calls
>efficiently but the problem still exists.
>
>Here are some speed tests we've done, running the same report from
>the same PC.  Other PCs show similar times, so it is nothing special
>about that particular device.  The AD and OES devices are in the same
>data center, so the same WAN and networking paths are used.
>
>AD Windows 2008 volume share:									11 minutes
>AD Windows 2003 volume share:									13 minutes
>OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume accessed via Novell client 4.91.5.2:
>48 minutes
>OES 2 sp2 NSS volume accessed via Novell client:					45 minutes
>OES 2 sp3 clustered NSS volume access via CIFS (Novell client
>uninstalled):	20 minutes
>
>What can I do to get my OES servers to have similar performance to the
>Microsoft servers?  The client is Windows XP sp3.
>
>We can deal with a little performance difference but with the report
>running that much faster on MS servers isn't a ringing endorsement of
>the Novell technology.
>
>Ideas?  TIDs?  Client or server tweaks?
>
>thanks,
>

>Todd Bowman
>Senior Network Analyst
>University of Minnesota Physicians
>612-884-0744
>
>tbowman@umphysicians.umn.edu
0
W_

Windows XP Netware client performance / Speed
I've seen many questions posted here regarding running older Netware servers and Windows servers with both clients installed. Most answers point to the same set of websites. I've messed with all the registry hacks, etc. What really made the difference on my machine is posted below. BTW: This is WINXP PRO SP2, with NWClient 4.83SP3, Asus Gigabit NIC, 1Gb of RAM and P4 2.6Ghz Hyperthreading on. Right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. From the menu bar, select ADVANCED / ADVANCED SETTINGS... Under ADAPTERS AND BINDINGS, select the Connecti...

Client 4.90SP2 vs. Microsoft's XP Netware Client
We run a database program that is having problems with the Netware client. Data corruption and performance are a problem. So, I tested the Microsoft Netware client vs. the Novell client and I am getting much better performnace from the Microsoft client. The Micorsoft client is 60 times faster during a 'post data' function. This translates from 15 seconds for Microsoft to 15 minutes for Novell! Is there anything I can do to speed up the Novell Client? Jerry Gunn Metamora High School Well, since you apparently need only IPX support (you didn't note which ver...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

XP Client and NetWare 5
Hi, all. Which version of client do u recommend to use with WIN XP SP2 and NETWARE 5.1 sp6??? Thanks -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ The latest, version 4.91 with SP2. Try earlier versions only if you have specific issues with this one. There are also a few post-SP2 patches available you might try in case of any such issues. Gerald Reynolds Leonardo Bidi wrote: > > Hi, all. > Which version of client do u recommend to use with WIN XP SP2 and > NETWARE 5.1 sp6??? > > Thanks > ...

Netware Client Issue w/ XP
We have a shared XP computer used by multiple users. When users log on through the Netware Client, the Windows info under the client advanced tab seems to apply to a specific Windows user; hence, it prompts you with a screen asking if you want to change your Windows and Netware password everytime a new user logs on.....unless you are the Windows user specified under the advanced/windows tab. How can you make the client accommodate different Windows/Netware users without a logon fiasco everytime a different user logs on? Can you disable the Novell client as the default logon ...

XP pro with Netware and windows client
I have a user who used to logon to netware and then was prompted for a windows password. This worked fine. Recently all of a sudden it is now going straight to the windows logon. It is not part of a domain but a workgroup, There are windows 2003 servers in the network but not set up at all on this machine. Once I logon to windows It goes to netware and asked to logon to the netware network. I have to choose the server inwhich we only have one and then logon again. It is backwards to what I was doing before,. Please help. Thanks client. 4.9 and or 4.83 Burnabryan, Can ...

Netware 4.1 and XP Client
Hello folks, I recently fired up an old (1997) Proliant server running Netware 4.1. Amazingly, all drives booted just fine after the drives were reseated. I can get onto this beast just fine from DOS, but I'm having a tough time with the XP client. I downloaded the 4.83 client, as this seemed to be the general recommendation. I can't get this client to see the server or the tree. I can't remember what the tree is supposed to be, anyway. I've made sure at this point that both IP and IPX are loaded and tweaked the IPX so NLSP is also running. The workstation can pi...

Windows XP x64 Netware client?
Any word on this yet? I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... > > Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > John, So did you see this post by Hamish ? > From what I've seen its because the API's and interface keep changing > right up until the release date. A beta client that works with beta 1 of > the OS won't work with Beta 2, a beta 2 client won't work with the First > Releae Candidate .....

Netware/IP Client for Windows XP
Hello I have currently been given the task of making our Novell Netware 4.11 Server communicate over IP. I have read about the use of Netware/IP to encapsulate the IPX packets in an IP packet so that this form of communication can occur, and I have also read about the downfalls of it, and a move to a more recent server would be the ideal solution, but that isn't going to happen and I need to get this to work. Am I right in thinking that you need to set up the Netware Client on the PC's to connect to the Netware/IP server? Is this possible using the Client for XP. ...

Windows XP and NetWare Client Interoperability
We have several WinXP boxes with the most current service pack as well as the most current security updates from MS that had issues functioning with any version of client above 4.83sp1e. The solution for that issue was to install the 4.83sp1e client. However, now many of the boxes we fixed already as well as some additional ones aren't responding to this fix. The login scripts run perfectly and it appears that everything is fine, but when you try to access any of the mapped drives that point to NetWare volumes, explorer.exe locks up and you have to shutdown before the compu...

Netware client 4.9 on XP
I setup a new Dell XP workstation as always. I added a static IP for it, added it to the Windows 2000 domain, then installed the client. I started with the 4.8 client but it has 4.9 on it now. When I log into the workstation it prompts that no domain controller is available. I know that it is and it is only a problem with this workstation. If I choose workstation only it will loging and I have access to all of the Windows 2000 servers. It has to be a client issue and is only with this newest workstation. Any ideas?? Try if the problem also exists with SP1: ...

Netware Client and Windows XP x64 edition
Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 edition. It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with x64 ? On 9/16/2005 daveg@veem.com.au wrote: > Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 > edition. Not at the moment > It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with > x64 ? Correct. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Speed Speed Speed
Name: Arthur A Lilford Email: arthuratposdriversdotcodotza Product: Firefox Summary: Speed Speed Speed Comments: Thanks Speed is great that is what gets me happy Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - speeding up the Novell client? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

REPORT: Driver Of Train In Fatal Spain Derailment Previously Bragged About Speeding On Facebook
... photo to his since-deleted Facebook account last year showing the speedometer of the train he was driving at the time and boasting about speeding, ...

Speeding up PHP-based development with HipHop VM
Here at Facebook, the HipHop team constantly strives to improve the efficiency of PHP execution and increase productivity for our PHP developers. ...

033/365 - Speeding - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I drive by this wood-and-concrete guardrail on Slab Bridge Road in Freetown, Mass. every day on my commute, and have always liked the look of ...

Speeding Speech - (1950s) - YouTube
THIS FILM IS PUBLIC DOMAIN Automation in the telephone industry dispenses with operator long distance dialing to complete calls faster. This ...

Speeding crash kills underaged driver in Al Ain
... into a water tanker in Al Ain, blowing up his vehicle. ABU DHABI // An underaged driver died after colliding with a water tanker while speeding ...

Escape Artist of the Day: Magician Gets Out of Speeding Ticket with Rubik’s Cube
New York magician Steven Brundage was pulled over for speeding last week, but he made his ticket magically disappear! Well not exactly, but the ...

Operation Safe Hills: South Australia Police to hide speed cameras in Adelaide Hills to catch speeding ...
... will hide and disguise speed cameras along roads in the Adelaide Hills in an operation targeted at motorcycle riders but hitting all speeding ...

Motorcyclist on P-plates caught speeding at 168km/h on Tuggeranong Parkway
An 18-year-old motorcyclist has lost his provisional license after being caught travelling at 168km/h on the Tuggeranong Parkway on Thursday ...

Man arrested after filming himself speeding
Man arrested after filming himself speeding

Drivers caught speeding at 185km/h on Hume Highway near Goulburn
Two men will front court on dangerous driving charges after they were caught flying down the Hume Highway at 185 kilometres an hour on Tuesday ...