Securing the boot environment?

Hi I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but
if not pls point me to the proper place pls. :)

This is for Novell for a desktop computer with no server and running
just on windows 7.

Like to ask how does novell secure the booting enviroment when the
computer is turned on? Can users enter f8, advance safe mode, run the CD
drive, etc and bypass novell secruity to change the settings? I assume
the admin can set restrictions so users cannot use these functions
right?

Does these function edit the windows reg to block this or does the
progammers have to write a whole new code for windows 7 to enable these
function to be denied unless given access? Like to know if windows is
hack or if a new code is written to enable this function?

Thanks and hope to know the answer?

--
BetaFile

BetaFile

0
ab
3/9/2012 5:54:40 AM
Why would you have the Novell client on a machine that doesn't connect
to a server? That's its whole purpose.

But to answer your question, the Novell client has nothing whatsoever
to do with security at boot time. It doesn't even start up until well
after the boot is under way.

But it occurs to me you may not be referring to the Novell Client, but
some other piece of software when you say "Novell for desktop"; the
Zenworks client perhaps?

--
Andrew C Taubman

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453195

0
ataubman
3/11/2012 9:56:01 PM
ataubman;2181335 Wrote:
> Why would you have the Novell client on a machine that doesn't connect
> to a server? That's its whole purpose.
>
> But to answer your question, the Novell client has nothing whatsoever
> to do with security at boot time. It doesn't even start up until well
> after the boot is under way.
>
> But it occurs to me you may not be referring to the Novell Client, but
> some other piece of software when you say "Novell for desktop"; the
> Zenworks client perhaps?

Hi thanks for replying, to the first poster not even volume encryption
can protect your data totally ! :)

Ataubman
Cause it just so happens I only have one computer and don't like using
2 computers, it just solely for one computer that's all. Novell client
can't start from boot why is that?

So what is the zenworks? Is it a stanalone for one computer? And is it
able to secure the boot enviroment when turning on the comp? Cause I
remember that long ago Novell could do this within a business
environment. Clients cannot press f8 or anything like that.

Anyway I do not know much on Novell so please be nice. :)

--
BetaFile
BetaFile's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=124702
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453195

0
BetaFile
3/12/2012 8:36:01 AM
BetaFile;2181364 Wrote:

> Cause it just so happens I only have one computer and don't like using
> 2 computers, it just solely for one computer that's all. Novell client
> can't start from boot why is that?
Because that's not its job. A Client is there to handle communication
with servers, and has nothing to do with local security.
> So what is the zenworks? Is it a stanalone for one computer? And is it
> able to secure the boot enviroment when turning on the comp? Cause I
> remember that long ago Novell could do this within a business
> environment. Clients cannot press f8 or anything like that.
I can only guess that was indeed an implementation of Zenworks for
Desktops. No it is not standalone but requires at least one server.
Novell is a _networking_ company and has nothing to offer for standalone
PCs.  I'm afraid you are on the wrong track entirely. Without knowing
the field I would imagine people like McAfee and Symantec would have
products in that space.

--
Andrew C Taubman

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453195

0
ataubman
3/12/2012 9:56:01 PM
0
ab
3/13/2012 11:50:37 PM
ab;2181908 Wrote:

Betafile - could you please describe what you complete setup is?

Leroy Joseph
Visual Click Software
'eDirectory Management and Reporting | DSRAZOR for eDirectory'
(http://www.visualclick.com/content/dsrazor-for-edirectory.htm)

--
leroyjjr
leroyjjr's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75462
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453195

0
leroyjjr

To Secure Boot or Not To Secure Boot...
I just bought a new desktop which of course had Windows 8 installed. Just my opinion, but I don't think Windows 8 is the turd it's made out be. I loaded Classic Shell to get the start menu back and it's basically back to normal Windows--except that they've taken away Aero and everything looks like Windows 3.1 again. Regardless, after doing a lot of reading about Secure Boot and the associated problems I wanted to try to dual boot Win 8 with Kubuntu. I never got out of the gate. For some reason I can't get Kubuntu 13.04 to boot from usb or cd with secure ...

Dual Boot XP Suse
I need some help with Dualboot system. I've got 3 hard drives in my computer 2 SATA and one ATA. I'm running WinXP on one of the SATA drives, the other one is just used for storing files. Since yesterday I'm running OpenSUSE 11.0 on the ATA drive. I installed Suse correctly over normal way not in the WinXP environment. Everything works fine. Then I restarted the computer to see if the Boot partitions would run correctly. Grub loader starts. OpenSuse works just fine while WinXp is not bootable anymore. Everytime I choose the WinXP boot option I get the message: rootnoveri...

Dual Boot XP & OpenSUSE 12.1
I am attempting to dual boot windows XP and OpenSUSE 12.1. Currently I have both XP and OpenSUSE installed, but can only boot into Windows. I have done the following: - Installed Windows XP - Resized Windows partition using GParted - Installed OpenSUSE 12.1 using DVD image burned to a usb memory stick - During the install I selected for /home/ to be on its own partition. That was the only changes I made to the automatic install. It appears the machine is booting using the mbr instead of GRUB. Currently I am stuck and don't know what to do. Any ideas? ...

XP/Netware login security message
Hey- WHen I log onto XP machine (Netware 6.5, client 4.9sp2), 4 separate and identical windows pop up, all labelled "Automating Security Configuration Management". I can close the windows, and all is well; but how do I stop the windows from coming up at all? I have used msconfig and can find nothing calling for these windows to come up. This only happens on XP machines. Any suggestions? Russell, Do you have Group Policy running those tasks?... Automating security configuration tasks http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve...

Securing XP Pro in a small home network environment
Instead of boring everyone here, is there a web site with tips on securing a small home network setup? I have 3 PC's with XP Pro, XP Home, and Win2000. They are all set up to share various resources like printers and drives. These are connected to a cable modem behind a Linksys router/switch. Thanks -- Aloke ---- to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com Wandering aimlessly around grc.security.software, I heard Aloke Prasad mention: > Instead of boring everyone here, is there a web site with tips on securing a > small home network setup? This ...

Multi booting with Open SuSE 11? 2X Linux 1X XP
My configuration exists of Mandriva 2007 on the first hard drive of the first IDE Channel and Windows XP on the first SATA Channel. LILO is in the on MBR on the first drive of the first IDE channel. Open SuSE will be going on the second drive of the first IDE channel. How do I set it up so I can boot all three operating systems? -- FlameBait ------------------------------------------------------------------------ So if I understand you correctly, you installed lilo with Mandriva to the IDE master and are chainloading from the lilo menu to boot Windows on the SATA driv...

XP PRO+ Win2K+ DUAL BOOT- security settings + USB 2.0
Hello There, I'm trying to figure out what's happening with the security settings on the NTFS partition that I have created on my new Western Digital USB 2.0 external 120 GB hard drive on my new dual boot config. (XP and Win2K) Win2K is on the primary partition and XP Pro is on a logical drive. Basically, I loose the security settings for the WD partition whenever I reboot to the other OS. The Administrator's name is removed and replaced with an "unknown ?" face. I have to remove it and add back in again the Admin name. Then, when I boot back into the other...

XP on boot list will not boot
Try to get this straight. On the boot screen suse is listed, xp listed 2 lines down, when I click xp suse is highlighted, never boots into xp. When I click the next suse listed, forget the name, at work on the mac, I get a login that says, "have fun" no fun here. System is sata a for xp, sata b for KDE 4.1 live download 8/12. I can load xp with the cd, but xp needs to re-install, loseing all my stuff. Thanks :? -- oilpaint ------------------------------------------------------------------------ oilpaint;1856746 Wrote: > Try to get this straight. On the b...

Netware 6: Cannot boot from BOOT ROM
Hi, We have just installed Novel NetWare 6.0. Previously we had 4.11 and diskless nodes. In NETWARE 6.0; we copied the same old NET$DOS.SYS to run all my diskless nodes using BOOT ROM. The problem is the total conventional memory is displayed as 550Kb instead of 640Kb. If we boot the same node using the floppy disk then it shows correctl conventional memory. We then re-generated new NET$DOS.SYS then also the problem remains same. After this we downloaded new netdisk6 from Novel web site and again re-generated a new NET$DOS.SYS using the new netdisk. In this case the node does not...

Triple BOOT XP - XP
Hi everyone I have 2 hard drive (Sata) on my pc On first Drive, i have 2 XP Partition installed on 2 primary parition and i have 1 logical partition for sharing files. I'm actually using OSSelector from Acronis and i can BOOT fine with the 2 XP OS(And both OS have C:\Drive when I boot with it) MY question is : It is possible to install Opensuse on the 2nd hard drive ? If yes, how should i do it ? Do have have to get rid of OSSelector ? If I use GRUB, i'm gone still be able to boot with my 2 XP partition) ? I would like to have 3 choice to Boot, XP1 - XP2 and Ope...

Is XP Home less secure than XP Pro?
Thats what one must conclude Steve is saying when he says that XP home must run win9x apps at root.. But this implies XP pro isnt doing this.. Whats the scoop here? "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9hukou$11b3$1@news.grc.com... > Thats what one must conclude Steve is saying when he says that XP home must > run win9x apps at root.. > But this implies XP pro isnt doing this.. Whats the scoop here? If you are familiar with NT/W2K, it has an admin option. XP Pro also has that. MS took out the admin funtion in XP Home; it's...

Boot Loader Error (dual boot with xp)
Hi, I'm new to the whole linux scene. I thought it was time to try something new on my pc. I've downloaded Linux openSuse11.1. I've used all standard installation settings, except for the language part then ;-) All went fine, untill the last part of the installation, when it was installing the boot loader. It said not installed, partition not found. So I tried several times, but then after a while,i just said, do not retry. So the result, when trying to boot it says no operating system found.. (like lol, i had xp installed ??) But whatever I said I wont give up...

suse 11.1. and win xp, xp does not boot
Hi! I just installed opensuse 11.1 on my compaq nx9420. Previous OS was win xp. When I choose to boot suse everything is fine. When I try to boot the xp, it tells me that i should run chkdsk /f to see if the HD is damaged, then I have to reboot. Is there any way to save the win xp? how can i tell the xp that everything is quite allright with the HD, that I just installed another OS? Thanks for help, Arthur -- tentacle1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You installed after partitioning the drive... how? Did you follow ...

Netware 6 Server in a Netware 5.1 Environment
I need to upgrade a server running Netware 5.1 to Netware 6 for compatibility reasons. We are not ready to make the jump to 6 yet Network wide. Will installing a Netware 6 server into a Netware 5.1 Tree/Environment cause the tree to have problems? I would say no. I have done this once and I did not have any problem but I did get my eDir all on the same version. Also Novell is really pushing the "No RIP and Replace" stuff which means they really want people to just drop in Netware 6 and start using it right along 5.x without making changes/upgrades until...

Web resources about - Securing the boot environment? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Environment Minister Greg Hunt approves dredging at Abbot Point for Galilee Basin mines
Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt has approved the dredging and dumping of spoil on land to make way for the expansion of the Abbot Point ...

Eating lettuce three times worse for the environment than eating bacon, study says
... Turns out you really don't make friends with salad. US scientists have released a new study which claims eating salad is worse for the environment ...

Up to 15 centimetres of snow headed for Maritimes: Environment Canada
Environment Canada is warning people in parts of the Maritimes that heavy snowfall could create some dangerous driving conditions on Sunday. ...

IDG Contributor Network: For love of money and the environment
The Paris climate talks just concluded, with at least one mainstream media source hailing the resulting agreement as “the world’s greatest diplomatic ...

Aussie ‘Sex Clown’ Collects $10k In Public Funds For Show About How Christmas Kills The Environment
Aussie ‘Sex Clown’ Collects $10k In Public Funds For Show About How Christmas Kills The Environment

Modern JavaScript Development Environments and Choice
I’ve been spending a lot of time with JavaScript development lately, both client and server. I am specifically working with React and Node. Despite ...

Silver Wheaton's Year In Review: Opportunities And Pitfalls Of A Weak Commodity Pricing Environment
Weakness in commodity prices, specifically the prices of gold and base metals, provided a conducive environment to Silver Wheaton for the acquisition ...

Code Craft-Embedding C++: Hacking the Arduino Software Environment
The Arduino software environment, including the IDE, libraries, and general approach, are geared toward education. It’s meant as a way to introduce ...

Environment Ministry issues final notification for coastal road in Mumbai
... amending the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification, 2011, in June to permit reclamation for a coastal road. The Union Ministry of Environment ...