Roaming user profile in users home directory #2

Hi, hope you can help out...

When a user logs in to NetWare, the %home_directory is mapped to
<volume>:USER\<username> on the NetWare server. Roaming profile is
enabled via a NDS user package, to store the user profile in user home
directory. User profile should be copied to the local workstation upon
login and copied back to the server upon logout.

There are space restrictions on the user�s home directories. We found
that some user�s home directory is full, but they are not getting any
error when they log out. Only that the user profile, e.g., USER.DAT or
items on the desktop, are not copied to the server.

Usually the user will not even notice that. It will only cause problem
with those users that really roam around.

0
george

,
> When a user logs in to NetWare, the %home_directory is mapped to
> <volume>:USER\<username> on the NetWare server. Roaming profile is
> enabled via a NDS user package, to store the user profile in user home
> directory. User profile should be copied to the local workstation upon
> login and copied back to the server upon logout.

Version of ZEN and client please?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/6/2006 5:32:37 PM
Version of ZEN is v7.
Version of client is v4.83 SP2e. The clients are being slowely upgraded to
v4.91.

All workstations are Windows XP SP1.

NetWare version is v6.5 SP5.

In the User Package is located in the first OU under the root. i.e.,
o=rahc, ou=nch.

In the User Package, the policy being used is "Windows NT-2000-XP".
Both "Dynamic Local User" and "Windows Desktop Preferences" are enabled.
Under "Windows Desktop Preferences", in the "Desktop Preferences"
section, "Roaming Profiles" is enabled, "Enable Storage of Roaming
Profiles" is enabled and "Store User Profile in User Home Directory" is
enabled.

The user expects an error message to pop-up during the logout process if
their home directory is full, advising them that changes made to their
profile will not be uploaded to the server and therefore lost when next
they login.

Thanks,
George.

> ,
> > When a user logs in to NetWare, the %home_directory is mapped to
> > <volume>:USER\<username> on the NetWare server. Roaming profile is
> > enabled via a NDS user package, to store the user profile in user home
> > directory. User profile should be copied to the local workstation upon
> > login and copied back to the server upon logout.
> >
> Version of ZEN and client please?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/7/2006 3:01:44 AM
,
> Version of client is v4.83 SP2e. The clients are being slowely upgraded to
> v4.91.

OK. Does this happen on a fully patched 4.91 client as well (should be fairly
easy to force by filling up a test user's dir)? Reason why I ask is that I
rememember seeing this discussed in the past and was under the impression
that it was fixed.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders

The client I was testing on was v4.91 SP1. Is this what you mean by "fully
patched client"?

Are you saying that users whos home directories are full should be seeing
some sort of message during the logout process advising them that their
roaming profile cannot be saved to the server?

George.

> ,
> > Version of client is v4.83 SP2e. The clients are being slowely upgraded to
> > v4.91.
> >
> OK. Does this happen on a fully patched 4.91 client as well (should be
fairly
> easy to force by filling up a test user's dir)? Reason why I ask is that I
> rememember seeing this discussed in the past and was under the impression
> that it was fixed.
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/8/2006 11:17:22 PM
,
> The client I was testing on was v4.91 SP1. Is this what you mean by "fully
> patched client"?

Ideally SP2 plus Novell Client Post-4.91 SP2 Patch Kit "C"

http://support.novell.com/filefinder/20609/index.html

> Are you saying that users whos home directories are full should be seeing
> some sort of message during the logout process advising them that their
> roaming profile cannot be saved to the server?

Yes.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/9/2006 6:08:53 AM
Thanks. I'll get the customer to apply SP2 plus Novell Client Post-4.91 SP2
Patch Kit "C" and let you know the result. What about the workstations
which are running v4.83-SP2e clients...?

Does the client need to have the "receive broadcast messages from NetWare
servers" enabled as well??

George.

> ,
> > The client I was testing on was v4.91 SP1. Is this what you mean by "fully
> > patched client"?
>
> Ideally SP2 plus Novell Client Post-4.91 SP2 Patch Kit "C"
>
> http://support.novell.com/filefinder/20609/index.html
>

> > Are you saying that users whos home directories are full should be seeing
> > some sort of message during the logout process advising them that their
> > roaming profile cannot be saved to the server?
>
> Yes.
>

> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/9/2006 7:56:54 AM
,
> Thanks. I'll get the customer to apply SP2 plus Novell Client Post-4.91 SP2
> Patch Kit "C" and let you know the result. What about the workstations
> which are running v4.83-SP2e clients...?

Try it on a few selected workstations first. As for the 4.83 client, try all
the latest paches, if any.

> Does the client need to have the "receive broadcast messages from NetWare
> servers" enabled as well??

No AFAIK.

Also. What version of ZEN and ZEN Agent?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/9/2006 12:03:41 PM
Version of ZEN is 7.

> ,
> > Thanks. I'll get the customer to apply SP2 plus Novell Client Post-4.91 SP2
> > Patch Kit "C" and let you know the result. What about the workstations
> > which are running v4.83-SP2e clients...?
>
> Try it on a few selected workstations first. As for the 4.83 client, try all
> the latest paches, if any.
>
> > Does the client need to have the "receive broadcast messages from NetWare
> > servers" enabled as well??
> >
> No AFAIK.
>
> Also. What version of ZEN and ZEN Agent?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/10/2006 12:11:51 AM
More details:- ZEN agent 7 with client 4.9x. ZEN agent 3.2 with client 4.83.

George.

> Version of ZEN is 7.
>
> > ,
> > > Thanks. I'll get the customer to apply SP2 plus Novell Client
Post-4.91 SP2
> > > Patch Kit "C" and let you know the result. What about the workstations
> > > which are running v4.83-SP2e clients...?
> >
> > Try it on a few selected workstations first. As for the 4.83 client,
try all
> > the latest paches, if any.
> >
> > > Does the client need to have the "receive broadcast messages from NetWare
> > > servers" enabled as well??
> > >
> > No AFAIK.
> >
> > Also. What version of ZEN and ZEN Agent?
> >
> > - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> >   NSC Volunteer Sysop
> >   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
> >
> > Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> > Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> > http://support.novell.com/enhancement
> >
> > Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/10/2006 12:51:15 AM
Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
space" during the logout process.
It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
do not receive the message during logout.

George.

> More details:- ZEN agent 7 with client 4.9x. ZEN agent 3.2 with client 4.83.
>
> George.
>
> > Version of ZEN is 7.
> >
> > > ,
> Post-4.91 SP2
> > >
> > > Try it on a few selected workstations first. As for the 4.83 client,
> try all
> > > the latest paches, if any.

NetWare

> > > No AFAIK.
> > >
> > > Also. What version of ZEN and ZEN Agent?
> > >
> > > - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
> > >   NSC Volunteer Sysop
> > >   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
> > >
> > > Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> > > Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> > > http://support.novell.com/enhancement
> > >
> > > Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/10/2006 1:54:51 AM
,
> Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
> of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
> agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
> space" during the logout process.
> It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
> v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
> do not receive the message during logout.

OK. Thanks. Let me ask about this?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/10/2006 6:06:48 AM
,
> Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
> of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
> agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
> space" during the logout process.
> It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
> v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
> do not receive the message during logout.

Here is the rely:
now here's an interesting thing: I don't get an error, even with zen4.
If anyone's got any evidence that shows I'm wrong, and that it did give
an error with anything newer than 3.2, please let me know!

However, I do have a solution for ZDM7! Group Policy: User
policy->Administrative Templates->system->User Profiles->Limit Profile
Size it will even tell them as soon as they login that their profile is
too big (if you want)

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/10/2006 9:53:02 AM
Thanks very much. I'll forward the ZDM7 GP suggestion to the customer and
let you know...

> ,
> > Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
> > of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
> > agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
> > space" during the logout process.
> > It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
> > v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
> > do not receive the message during logout.
>
> Here is the rely:
> now here's an interesting thing: I don't get an error, even with zen4.
> If anyone's got any evidence that shows I'm wrong, and that it did give
> an error with anything newer than 3.2, please let me know!
>
> However, I do have a solution for ZDM7! Group Policy: User
> policy->Administrative Templates->system->User Profiles->Limit Profile
> Size it will even tell them as soon as they login that their profile is
> too big (if you want)
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/11/2006 9:36:25 PM
Anders wrote:- "However, I do have a solution for ZDM7! Group Policy: User
policy->Administrative Templates->system->User Profiles->Limit Profile
Size it will even tell them as soon as they login that their profile is
too big (if you want)"

The customer wants to know - "If we use that group policy setting, what
size should we specify and what should we assign that policy to? To users,
groups or OUs? Under Netware every user can have different space
restriction on their home directory"

Shall I tell him to specify the size to be equal to the largest profile he
can find by looking through all his users home directories? Please advise
on where to assign the policy..

Regards,
George.

> ,
> > Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
> > of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
> > agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
> > space" during the logout process.
> > It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
> > v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
> > do not receive the message during logout.
>
> Here is the rely:
> now here's an interesting thing: I don't get an error, even with zen4.
> If anyone's got any evidence that shows I'm wrong, and that it did give
> an error with anything newer than 3.2, please let me know!
>
> However, I do have a solution for ZDM7! Group Policy: User
> policy->Administrative Templates->system->User Profiles->Limit Profile
> Size it will even tell them as soon as they login that their profile is
> too big (if you want)
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/14/2006 12:54:40 AM
Anders wrote:- "However, I do have a solution for ZDM7! Group Policy: User
policy->Administrative Templates->system->User Profiles->Limit Profile
Size it will even tell them as soon as they login that their profile is
too big (if you want)"

The customer wants to know - "If we use that group policy setting, what
size should we specify and what should we assign that policy to? To users,
groups or OUs? Under Netware every user can have different space
restriction on their home directory"

Shall I tell him to specify the size to be equal to the largest profile he
can find by looking through all his users home directories? Please advise
on where to assign the policy..

> ,
> > Hi, I just spoke with the customer who clarified for me that roaming users
> > of workstations running the v4.83-SP2e or v4.83-SP3 clients with the ZEN
> > agent v3.2 *DO* receive the message about "cannot update profile/not enough
> > space" during the logout process.
> > It seems that when these same users logout of  workstations running the
> > v4.91 or v4.91-SP2 including the latest patch kit "C" and the ZEN agent v7
> > do not receive the message during logout.
> >
> OK. Thanks. Let me ask about this?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/14/2006 7:44:30 AM
,
> The customer wants to know - "If we use that group policy setting, what
> size should we specify and what should we assign that policy to? To users,
> groups or OUs? Under Netware every user can have different space
> restriction on their home directory"
>
> Shall I tell him to specify the size to be equal to the largest profile he
> can find by looking through all his users home directories? Please advise
> on where to assign the policy..

If it is important to have different
settings for the limit, you could have policies that only contained
that one setting, associated to the user, and have "standard" policies
associated to the OU (for example). That is about as blanket statement as I
can give :)

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/14/2006 8:14:14 AM
Hi Anders,

The customer wants to know if Novell are coming out with a fix for this
issue in the ZEN 7 agent? They are not happy having to do a workaround.
Please advise.

George.

> ,
> > The customer wants to know - "If we use that group policy setting,
what
> > size should we specify and what should we assign that policy to? To
users,
> > groups or OUs? Under Netware every user can have different space
> > restriction on their home directory"
> >
> > Shall I tell him to specify the size to be equal to the largest
profile he
> > can find by looking through all his users home directories? Please
advise
> > on where to assign the policy..
>
> If it is important to have different
> settings for the limit, you could have policies that only contained
> that one setting, associated to the user, and have "standard" policies
> associated to the OU (for example). That is about as blanket statement
as I
> can give :)
>

> - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
>   NSC Volunteer Sysop
>   Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>
> Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
george
8/18/2006 2:13:14 AM
,
> The customer wants to know if Novell are coming out with a fix for this
> issue in the ZEN 7 agent? They are not happy having to do a workaround.
> Please advise.

Let me ask..

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/18/2006 6:15:23 AM
,
> The customer wants to know if Novell are coming out with a fix for this
> issue in the ZEN 7 agent? They are not happy having to do a workaround.
> Please advise.

Sorry. It is not an issue in the ZEN Agent, but rather one in Windows.

Back in the 9x/NT days, storing the profile was the client's
responsibility. The roaming profile functions in 2000/Xp, while not
perfect, are much more robust, compared to 9x/NT and thus in ZEN 7 the
profile management is left to windows. This is also preferable since it
adheres to what windows expects.

So the question: Why no error message should be directed at MS.

The approved, documented way is to use a GPO like I suggested before.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/18/2006 11:10:16 AM
Thanks Anders. I'll pass this onto the customer...