Renaming files on network volumes problem

I have a strange problem and hope to find someone out there that already
faced this problem.

On Win XP clients with Novell Client and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
8.8 on them, the file dates change to 01/01/1985 00:59 when renaming a
text file or the extension of any file on a network NSS volume.

This happens on both servers Netware 6.5 SP8 or OES2 SP3. There is no
antivirus installed on the servers.

The problem do not arise if I connect to the NSS volumes via CIFS or
turning off the antivirus.

I tried to install all the patches for the Novell Client 4.91 SP5,
tried also the old Novell Client 4.83 with no success.

Turning on or off the file caching on the local client doesn't resolve
the problem.

Any help or idea will be greatly appreciated!

--
giacuzzo

giacuzzo

On 14.03.2012 10:26, giacuzzo wrote:

> turning off the antivirus.

There you go. Ask McAfee.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner

It seems that Windows XP in a OES environment is not tested in their
labs. I suppose that OES environment is not tested at all in their
"labs".

So here I am, trying to find out if there is someone else with the same
problem.

--
giacuzzo
giacuzzo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=103188

0
giacuzzo
3/14/2012 10:06:02 AM
On 14.03.2012 11:06, giacuzzo wrote:

> Unfortunately, I already tried to contact them and their reply was
> astonishing: "No more support on Novell - TRY opening a Product
> Enhancement Request". :-(
>
> It seems that Windows XP in a OES environment is not tested in their
> labs. I suppose that OES environment is not tested at all in their
> "labs".
>
> So here I am, trying to find out if there is someone else with the same
> problem.

Well, so if anybody needed any more proof that McAfee in general is to
be avoided, here it is. So the newest addition is that McAfee need to
"support" any application running on windows, or if they crap out, they
don't care. Cool.. It's not like we're talking about CrapAfee *on* the
server, that's a different story.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
mrosen;2181991 Wrote:
> On 14.03.2012 11:06, giacuzzo wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, I already tried to contact them and their reply was
> > astonishing: "No more support on Novell - TRY opening a Product
> > Enhancement Request". :-(
> >
> > It seems that Windows XP in a OES environment is not tested in their
> > labs. I suppose that OES environment is not tested at all in their
> > "labs".
> >
> > So here I am, trying to find out if there is someone else with the
> same
> > problem.
> >

> Well, so if anybody needed any more proof that McAfee in general is to
> be avoided, here it is. So the newest addition is that McAfee need to
> "support" any application running on windows, or if they crap out,
> they
> don't care. Cool.. It's not like we're talking about CrapAfee *on* the
> server, that's a different story.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Knowledge Partner
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

Massimo - I have that issue on a Windows 7 x64 bit PC with SOPHOs sweep
(McAfee) running also. - -  But on other Windows 7 x64 (including
Virtuals) I do not.

Leroy Joseph
Visual Click Software
'eDirectory Management and Reporting | DSRAZOR for eDirectory'
(http://www.visualclick.com/content/dsrazor-for-edirectory.htm)

--
leroyjjr
leroyjjr's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75462
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453391

0
leroyjjr
3/31/2012 7:46:01 PM
leroyjjr;2186632 Wrote:
> Massimo - I have that issue on a Windows 7 x64 bit PC with SOPHOs sweep
> (McAfee) running also. - -  But on other Windows 7 x64 (including
> Virtuals) I do not.
>
> Leroy Joseph

Have you the date problem on a Win 7 client? But with McAfee or Sophos?

--
giacuzzo
giacuzzo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=103188
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453391

0
giacuzzo

Problem Saving Files to Netware Volume
Hi, Running SUSE 11.0 on Novell Client 2.0 SP1, Netware 5.0 server. I am having trouble savings files to a Netware volume using various programs. Trying to save a PDF using Acrobat Reader, I get the following error: "The disk you were saving to ... is full." Tryng to open a file located on the Netware server using OpenOffice Writer, I have mixed results. I can open and save once or twice, but, at some point, for some reason, OO says that the file is opened for read only access! I am logged into the server as the admin, so I have unlimited R/W privileges, so its not...

NetWare Volumes and XP Offline files
Is it possible to use the Windows XP Offline Files option to synchronize files on a laptop with files on a NetWare Volume? The "Make Available Offline" option does not seem to be an option when a directory is right- clicked on a NetWare volume but it is for an NTFS volume. Thanks Jamie From what you've said the answer would appear to be "no", as is. My guess is you'd need to connect to the NW server with CIFS for this to work, but you really need to ask MS about the limitations of their products. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Vol...

NetWare to NetWare file copy problem
Hello All, We are trying to copy files from a Netware 6.5 server (SP6) to a newer NetWare 6.5 (SP7) server. We are copying an entire volume, VOL1. The source server has a 33GB volume with about 4GB of free space. When we start the copy the disk space on the source server drops and eventually the copy stops when space on the source server runs out. The destination servers volume is 200GB, so I have no idea why the source server is running out of space. We are doing the copy from a Windows XP PC, and to me it looks like the Netware server is doing some type of caching but not ...

Chinese file name in Netware 6 NSS volume problem (after install NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c)
Dear All, I am using a NW6 and just installation NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c, after applied those patches. Some colleague reported some folders in the NSS volume has lost, and all the folders is named by Chinese characters. After checked with ConsoleOne we found those folders still in the NSS volume, and only the colleague running Win2K and WinXP with client 4.91 can't view those folders, but Win98 with client 3.4 hasn't problem to view those folders. Moreover, I have found another problem after applied the patches is the backup software (Veritas BackupExec 9.0) reported many fi...

Chinese file name in Netware 6 NSS volume problem (after install NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c) #3
Dear All, I am using a NW6 and just installation NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c, after applied those patches. Some colleague reported some folders in the NSS volume has lost, and all the folders is named by Chinese characters. After checked with ConsoleOne we found those folders still in the NSS volume, and only the colleague running Win2K and WinXP with client 4.91 can't view those folders, but Win98 with client 3.4 hasn't problem to view those folders. Moreover, I have found another problem after applied the patches is the backup software (Veritas BackupExec 9.0) reported many fi...

Chinese file name in Netware 6 NSS volume problem (after install NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c) #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C58D06.F978A240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear All, I am using a NW6 and just installation NW6SP5e and NW6NSS5c, after = applied those patches. Some colleague reported some folders in the NSS volume = has lost, and all the folders is named by Chinese characters. After checked with ConsoleOne we found those folders still in the NSS volume, and only = the colleague running Win2K and WinXP with client 4.91 can't view those = ...

Volume Rename Problems
Hi - we're running NW 5.1 sp7. We had a problem with a disk which contained a volume. We copied the data to another volume, renamed the old volume, dismounted it then renamed the new volume to the old volume's name. We can map drives to the new volume but in NWADMIN the object for this new volume shows up with a wierd numeric name - Any ideas? GEOFF Delete the volume object in NDS and then from the server console load NWCONFIG | Directory Options | Import Mounted volumes into Directory. What you currently have is a collision object. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Produc...

Volume renaming problem
As a consequence of discovering the issues with ACT databases, we created a new traditional volume tonight. The game plan was to rename the old NSS volume (including its volume object), create a new traditional volume with the original name, copy everything across and to have happy campers in the morning. While we have successfully renamed the old volume, we were unable to create the new traditional volume with the same (original) name. Thinking that it was probably an NDS replication issue (the obits from the rename might still be around) we created the new volume with a different...

Problem with downloading and renaming a file
Hi. I've got a problem with downloading a file by using this piece of code:         WebClient Client = new WebClient();         Client.DownloadFile(new Uri(oldPath), newFileName);  What it does is it calls the function correctly but no response from the browser is given. After hours of searching I've found someone else with same problem and it appears that server saves the file without prompting a user, to a default directory (in his case it was C:\Windows\System32, in my case it was a directory ...

Problems after rename a unit file.
Dear ladies and gentlemen, I encountered a problem when I rename a unit file with SaveAs command. I have a big project. In this project there is a unit which named 'GradientLib_GR32.pas'. I renamed the unit to 'GradientLib.pas' with SaveAs command. and then replaced all the references to 'GradientLib_GR32.pas' in the uses clause of other units in the project to 'GradientLib.pas'. And then I could compile the project successfully. But after I deleted all the files related to 'GradientLib_GR32.pas' from project's directory, the project cou...

Search for files on volume shows files with no volume or drive letter
--____GZJUYACQLUKXSYCLTMHY____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 17 Nov 2010 06:15:50 -0500" I am searching for all exe files on my data volume. And although I get = some with the \\sever\volume path, I get a number with just a folder such = as jobshop. I've never seen this before. Any ideas why this might be happening? --____GZJUYACQLUKXSYCLTMHY____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____GWTLAKPVNUZRSIRKCPKZ____" --____GWTLAKPVNUZ...

Problem after rename a unit file.
Dear ladies and gentlemen, I encountered a problem when I rename a unit file with SaveAs command. I have a big project. In this project there is a unit which named 'GradientLib_GR32.pas'. I renamed the unit to 'GradientLib.pas' with SaveAs command. and then replaced all the references to 'GradientLib_GR32.pas' in the uses clause of other units in the project to 'GradientLib.pas'. And then I could compile the project successfully. But after I deleted all the files related to 'GradientLib_GR32.pas' from project's directory, the project cou...

XP problem accessing files
I have a client with Netware 6 SP1 and currently with Win98 computers (don't ask). I've finally got them headed toward WinXP (and off of Wordperfect 8) but after rolling out a couple of machines, we started having problems. The computers have been reinstalled with XP and the 4.9 client (with no post 4.9 updates, if any exist) and have current NIC drivers and all Windows updates. What seems to be happening is that after the XP machines access a folder on the server a few times, it becomes inaccessible. The symptom they get from MS Word is the error message "Word cannot co...

Problems with Log File on Netware
We recently moved a perfectly happy database server onto Netware 4.1 from Windows 95. The code was version 5.5.01 and immediately wouldn't work properly. Went up to 5.5.03 and all OK except the transaction log. Database is shutdown each night for backup but refuses to restart in the morning until the transaction log file has been deleted whereupon it re-creates it. Any ideas gratefully received. Regards Peter Morris Have you used DBLOG (I think there is an NLM version) to set the log file? It may have been set on Win 95 using C:\... or D:\.... which doesn't mean a whole...

Web resources about - Renaming files on network volumes problem - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

List of politically motivated renamings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
France : During World War I, coffee with whipped cream, previously known as Café Viennois (Vienna coffee), was renamed Café Liégeois (Coffee ...

Gatekeeper Bypass in OS X Relies on Renaming an App
A researcher finds that Apple allows unsigned software in the same folder as signed, approved ones in the Mac App Store, opening up the potential ...

Parkes Place renaming sparks a royal row
Parkes Place renaming sparks a royal row

Peter MacKay hails 'royal' renaming of military
Defence Minister Peter MacKay says his government has corrected a historic mistake by restoring the royal designation to the air force and navy. ...

Renaming of area in South China Sea will not affect China's sovereignty: FM ...
Renaming of area in South China Sea will not affect China's sovereignty: FM ... People's Daily Online 13 ( People's Daily Online) A Foreign ...

Updated Dropbox iOS app gives you quick accesss to renaming files and folders, more
... reading more about iPhone , Apps , and iPad at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Updated Dropbox iOS app gives you quick accesss to renaming ...

Philadelphia police renaming valor medal for slain officer - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA ...
In his final, courageous moments, Officer Robert Wilson III took on two armed robbers and gave his life to save those around him - an act so ...

The Case for Renaming 'Gaming'
From marketing VPs to moms, "gaming" has a bad rap. It's a multi-billion dollar industry capable of influencing business strategies, education ...

Many Selma residents oppose renaming Edmund Pettus Bridge despite KKK association - AL.com
A grassroots petition drive to change the name of Selma's iconic Edmund Pettus Bridge does not have the support of many of the city's residents ...