Remote Access with Win XP and Netware Client 4.9?

I have a few XP laptops I'm trying to get working for home and the
office. The laptops are running Novell Netware Client 4.9, and I got them
working in the office, no problem. They had to be configured for IP and
IPX, and it was a cinch to get going. We use a Netware Server for
Groupwise, and other hosted shared applications.

I figured the same login and password would work remotely, but it
doesn't. Is there anything I have to do special to get this working? I
heard about Remote Access Service (RAS), but I can't find it.
0
betaphiwoozy

betaphiwoozy,

VPN is usually the best approach to do this safely...

Remote user cannot log in to NetWare server behind NAT
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10071299.htm

Ports and Protocols used by NetWare 5.X and 6.X
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10013531.htm

What are the default and common ports for NetWare 6
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10071836.htm

What UDP ports does SLP need?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10079087.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
7/1/2004 9:40:24 PM
betaphiwoozy@hotmail.com,

Do you want them to be able to connect to the network from home, or just
be able to login to the PC?

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
7/1/2004 10:36:27 PM
I want them to be able to connect to the network from home. Are we sure
that VPN is the only solution? I thought this Remote Access Services
would do the trick. They have Netware Small Business Tools I think, so
I'll try that, but I want to think its a Remote Admin Module, if
anything. If there is a workaround for this that doesn't require VPN,
please let me know.

If VPN is the only way, what are some good ones? Their priorities, in
order, would be
1. Price
2. Ease of use
3. Ease of installation
4. Security

Its a small company that can't afford much. A majority of their company
is running Win98 still, and the laptop purchases (2) were made after much
discussion. I'd really like to get them working from home if I can,
without asking them to drop another $2K. So, if there is another way,
please tell me!

woozy

> betaphiwoozy@hotmail.com,
>
> Do you want them to be able to connect to the network from home, or
just
> be able to login to the PC?
>

> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)

0
betaphiwoozy
7/2/2004 1:00:38 PM
Bigger companies use Citrix Metaframe in that respect (..hosted shared
applications). For a small number of concurrent users it might be cheaper to
buy a few desktops and alow them to be remotely controlled.

<betaphiwoozy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a few XP laptops I'm trying to get working for home and the
> office. The laptops are running Novell Netware Client 4.9, and I got them
> working in the office, no problem. They had to be configured for IP and
> IPX, and it was a cinch to get going. We use a Netware Server for
> Groupwise, and other hosted shared applications.
>
> I figured the same login and password would work remotely, but it
> doesn't. Is there anything I have to do special to get this working? I
> heard about Remote Access Service (RAS), but I can't find it.

0
Peter
7/2/2004 1:34:03 PM
If you have the Small Business Server, you should have BorderManager
which provides you with VPN free of cost.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

> If you have the Small Business Server, you should have BorderManager
> which provides you with VPN free of cost.
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
betaphiwoozy
7/2/2004 6:14:57 PM
Let's find out how they were connecting first.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison

Netware 4.0 Compatibility with Client 4.9 on XP
My server is running NetWare 4.0 and all of my Windows 98 workstations (running client 3.32) are able to login perfectly fine. I just got a new P4 Windows XP workstation though and installed the XP client 4.9 sp2, and that one will not login at all, it doesn't even show the tress or server in the advanced tab. Does anyone know how this could be corrected? Make sure to run the installation with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' options. Also, v4.9 is not the recommended client for NetWare4.x - you should uninstall it and install this client: http://www.novell.com/coolsol...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Netware client 4.9 on XP
I setup a new Dell XP workstation as always. I added a static IP for it, added it to the Windows 2000 domain, then installed the client. I started with the 4.8 client but it has 4.9 on it now. When I log into the workstation it prompts that no domain controller is available. I know that it is and it is only a problem with this workstation. If I choose workstation only it will loging and I have access to all of the Windows 2000 servers. It has to be a client issue and is only with this newest workstation. Any ideas?? Try if the problem also exists with SP1: ...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Remove Netware Client 4.9 on Windows XP
I use a unattend.txt to do the install. Then I edit that file and add the DoRemove=YES and it looks like it works. But at the end I get a error saying: "The installation was not completed successfully". But if I reboot then it looks like everything is gone. I need some way of removing the client from about 800 workstations, and I would like some way of scripting it. I did a search on CoolSolutions and the knowledgebase and did not really come up with anything that helped. Thanks, Greg Marcom marcom@purdue.edu Technical Support Administrator Purdue University ...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

Win XP client for Netware 4.10 doesn't work
We have a small Netware 4.10 network. Since would like to connect Windows XP (SP1) PCs to that net, we have downloaded the latest 98/2000/XP client (49sp2e.exe zipped file) and installed on one PC. Installation seems to be succesfull, but the client doesn't connect to the server (Cant'find the server error). Did I miss doing something? There is any extra configuration to do? Has anyone experienced (and possibly solved) such a problem? Thansk in advance to any helper... Riccardo Make sure you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Also, v4...

Client 4.9 auto login breaks Win XP Remote Desktop
I recently installed the auto login for Novell client 4.9 and now whenever I try to use remote desktop to connect to the computer, it opens and closes stating that the remote session was ended. Is there any fix for this that will allow me to keep using the auto login, and yet still be able to remote desktop into the machine? Silk42, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search ...

Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode
I have gateway 200xl with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client 4.90 SP2 English on Windows NT/2000/XP (English) installed connected to the NW 5.1 on dell server. Problem: When screen saver kicks inn user can login into workstation but cant even find my server. Is it neware problem or hardware problem with network card? Can you guide me? Thanks Joe, Could be a name resolution issue. Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP? Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NetIdentity, etc.)? Is the Novell Client instal...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Web resources about - Remote Access with Win XP and Netware Client 4.9? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ