NW5.1 XP client slow mapped network drive access

When initially accessesing drives using XP  client 4.9sp2

the drives take 20 seconds to show contents.

things tried so far are....

MS KB article 171386

Changing the provider order to list NW client first.

??

0
Jfarr

Jfarr,

Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NICI,
etc.)?
Is the client installed IP, IPX or both?
Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP?

Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?

Can you verify if its security or any other driver-based software like antivirus getting
in the way?  How about remote management?

People have reported issues with Simple File Sharing being enabled so you may want to try
disabling it...

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874

The ITHOWTO site always has good advice for those of us new to tweaking Windows and
speeding up the Novell Client...

Enhance Client32 Performance
http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
9/10/2004 5:17:24 PM
Go to your TCPIP settings, Advanced button, WINS tab, Disable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP.  That sometimes fixes the problem.

Merrell

"Tony Pedretti" <ynotpe@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jfarr,
>
> Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents,
> NMAS, NICI,
> etc.)?
> Is the client installed IP, IPX or both?
> Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP?
>
> Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
> Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?
>
> Can you verify if its security or any other driver-based software like
> antivirus getting
> in the way?  How about remote management?
>
> People have reported issues with Simple File Sharing being enabled so you
> may want to try
> disabling it...
>
> How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder
> in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307874
>
> The ITHOWTO site always has good advice for those of us new to tweaking
> Windows and
> speeding up the Novell Client...
>
> Enhance Client32 Performance
> http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

0
Matt

Server 2003
Hi guys, Just wondering if Novell has released a specific client for Server 2003. On the download page I am noticing the clients for 2000/XP/98 etc... Also wondering if anyone has had any problems or issues running clients on server 2003 or can provide any guidelines. I am experiencing slow access to mapped drives and am wondering if this is related Cheers, Pls post in the client32 forum, thx. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are...

Can no longer map drives w/ XP Pro & NW5.1
I'm really banging my head on this one... I can login to the server BUT I can NO LONGER map a drive anymore. Server: Novell 5.1SP5 (only 1-server) Workstation: WinXP Pro w/ all of the latest updates from Windows Update Client: 4.83SP3 on all workstations except the Win95 We have (2) XP Pro workstations, (3) W2K Pro workstation, (1) Win95 workstation This was the setup since the computer was built and put into sevice about 9-months ago. Everything worked fine. Then w/in the last month or so this computer started getting knocked off the server, I was still logged in but all t...

Client 4.91/SP2
hi, Update agent will run from Mapped Network Drive under Widows 2000 but not from Windows XP workstations. Message appears "no update found" Thank You for any help REGARDS Klaus Tillenburg I think Novell recommends using UNC paths with the update agent. XP is more secure than 2000 in the user vs. system respect. As such trying to get some system-level processes to use attributes from the user space doesn't work. -- Tony Pedretti > I think Novell recommends using UNC paths with the update agent. > XP is more secure than 2000 in the use...

Client not mapping drives XP Pro Client 4.83sp1
I am having a problem getting any novell client on an XP Pro machine mapping drives. I have tried every client from 4.83 sp1 through the current beta. I have tried re-installing the clients with every install option, but it will not map any drives for ANY client. Untill 5-28-2004 I have never had this problem with any other computer on location. This is happening to any new (new or reloaded with a fresh copy of xp). Other 25 computers on site work fine, acconts log in on other computers ok, but any new copmuter I try to log in will not map drives. Is there something real...

XP SLOW browsing NW5 Drives
XP patched up & tried all the post SP1 patches for client 4.9, tried testing with the MS Client for Netware also and still have the same problem - painfully slow response to browsing directories on NW5. Also oberved higher utilitization on the server when trying to browse these folders. I alway happens when browsing a folder of 170 + files whether they have long file names or not. Tested the exact same files on a directory local to the XP system and had no issue. Bottom line, this is causing my client to consider getting rid of Netware and I do not think that is good but canno...

drive map error on XP client
My network is a bit behind the times but it has served me well. I'm adding my first XP client today and most of my login script is working except for one which returns the error: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed [ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN] The error code was 8804 This mapping works: if member of "FSGROUP" then MAP ROOT M:=FS\VOL1:FS MAP ROOT Q:=FS\VOL2:QADEPT endif While this one doesn't: if member of "Admins" then MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\ADMIN else MAP ROOT K:=FS\VOL2:USERS\%LOGIN_NAME endif Can anybody tell...

Netware 4.1 and XP Client
Hello folks, I recently fired up an old (1997) Proliant server running Netware 4.1. Amazingly, all drives booted just fine after the drives were reseated. I can get onto this beast just fine from DOS, but I'm having a tough time with the XP client. I downloaded the 4.83 client, as this seemed to be the general recommendation. I can't get this client to see the server or the tree. I can't remember what the tree is supposed to be, anyway. I've made sure at this point that both IP and IPX are loaded and tweaked the IPX so NLSP is also running. The workstation can pi...

Windows XP client not mapping drives
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

Netware 6 and XP not remembering a drive mapping
I was wondering if someone has a clue how to fix this problem? I have Netware 6 Client 4.83 on WinXP. I have two servers with separate trees. If I log into the main server I get all the drive mappings expected. I want to also have a drive mapped to the other server. I use the client to map to the server. I can view the files and do anything with them. But when I reboot the connection does not reconnect. If I click on the drive in windows explorer than everything reconnects. It just doesn't do it automatically. How can I get winXP to remember the connection automatically? ...

Windows XP client not mapping drives #2
Ok, I have several Windows XP Pro clients running Netware client 4.9sp1a. This is a Netware 6 SBS environment. I login into our production server and get drive mappings like I am supposed to but it won't map drives to a second server that I have in my tree. I thought initially it was a licensing issue but all of my windows 98 workstations map to this 2nd server just fine. I can't find anything in the knowledge base that can send me in the right direction. Per looking at other posts in this forum I did remove NMAS and this did not seem to help. Does anyone have any exper...

New XP workstation cannot access Nw5.1 server
I'm replacing a Win98 Pc on a 10 user Nw5.1 network with a new XP box. The only other XP workstation is using Nw Client ver 4.9.0. I initally downloaded the latest client 4.91E but the tree cold not be found. I downloaded 4.9.0 but had the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tony 5.1 network -- IP or IPX here? Make sure to uninstall the NMAS piece with the 4.9x clients. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Going pure IP ?? Either setup SLP, or hardcode the IP-Number as the ServerName. -- Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen IT Quality...

XP client drops connection to NW5.1 server
Just built an XP Pro machine with the latest SP1a client and it keeps dropping connection to one volume on the Netware server. It looks very like the problem described in this TID: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10089964.htm However the solution is: "Fixed in NWFS.SYS dated 26Jan2004 or later. " How do I get hold of this version of NWFS.SYS? I'm not in front of the machine now (it's at the client's site), so I can't check the version / date of this file. Regards, Ian Watkins Get it and any other updated Novell f...

XP SP2 Access Denied error, and drives not mapped
I have new Dell Optiplex GX280s that need to be put into the school labs. They are running XP SP2 with the 4.83 SP2 client on it. When the students are logging in the following error message pops up: LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-100:Access has been denied They still get logged in, but their shared drives do not get mapped. The following is an example of what will come up on the white screen that shows drive mapping progress as you log in. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [ROOT U:=SERVER_NAME/VOLUME1:STUDENT_DATA\USER_NAME] ...

Web resources about - NW5.1 XP client slow mapped network drive access - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

A&E Networks Takes Stake In Digital Cooking Brand Panna
A&E Networks, the corporate owner of cable networks including A&E and Lifetime, is taking a stake in Panna, the digital cooking brand, and partnering ...

FBN Is Cable’s Fastest Growing Network in 2015
Boosted by the broadcast of its first-ever primary debate , Fox Business Network will go down as the fastest-growing cable network in 2015. ...

Mamoru HOSODA - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Columns (incl. Anime News Nina! , ANNtv , ANNCast , Answerman , Astro Toy , Brain Diving , Buried Treasure , Chicks On Anime , Crashing Japan ...

The updated Beam for Reddit is a great way to browse the social network
... City Adventure . Beam for reddit Alien Blue - reddit official client The updated Beam for Reddit is a great way to browse the social network ...

$40 is all you need to give your home Wi-Fi network a big upgrade
You spend so much money on home broadband service that it borders on being ridiculous. Seriously, how do ISPs get away with this? Unfortunately, ...

F5 Networks CEO Rivelo steps down for 'personal conduct' reasons
F5 Networks' new CEO Manny Rivelo on Monday stepped down as an executive and board member for "personal conduct" reasons, just six short months ...

Australian Networks Concede One Third Of Consumers Could Go Off Grid
... and spurred on by increasingly cheap solar and storage technology – could, conceivably, choose to go off grid. Two [&hellip Australian Networks ...

F5 Networks CEO steps down
F5 Networks's CEO Manuel Rivelo resigned "for matters regarding personal conduct unrelated to the operations or financials of the company."