Novell Client 4.91 SP2 version - occasional Login Error 8884 issues

Hi All,

We currently use 4.91SP2 and our Authentication boxes are OES2SP3 x64.

Every once in a great while, we have an occasional User receive Login
Error 8884 and the drives then do not get mapped.

I've checked SLP on both the Client-side and Server-side and everything
"checks out."

The TID 3057926 "Login errors with OES with OpenSLP using SLPv2"
references another TID which talks about SRVLOC.SYS versions.  We
currently have version 4.91.3.0 and it looks like version
4.91.5.1(newer) is able to generate RFC-compliant SLPv2 queries.

Since our SRVLOC is older, I guess I thought I'd see many more 8884
errors in our environment than just the occasional one-I haven't.

I suppose updating the Client would be a recommendation, but "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Has anyone else experienced the same?  If so, did SP5 resolve the issue
for you?

Thanks,
Mr Mister
0
Mr

> if it ain't broke, don't fix it
SP5 has many many bug fixes over SP2, so in that sense SP2 IS "broke".
Also 'SP5 IR1'
(http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=YgCXopUnLTM~) is the last
ever patch kit for client32 , so IMO it's a no-brainer to deploy it
while you still have XP.

Whether it addresses your specific issue I don't know. but I would
suggest it's a necessary starting point.

--
Andrew C Taubman

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453620

0
ataubman
3/19/2012 10:56:01 PM
ataubman wrote:
>> if it ain't broke, don't fix it
> SP5 has many many bug fixes over SP2, so in that sense SP2 IS "broke".
> Also 'SP5 IR1'
> (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=YgCXopUnLTM~) is the last
> ever patch kit for client32 , so IMO it's a no-brainer to deploy it
> while you still have XP.
>
> Whether it addresses your specific issue I don't know. but I would
> suggest it's a necessary starting point.

Thanks Andrew! I always appreciate your input...you've helped me in the
past.

Mr Mister
0
Mr
3/20/2012 3:50:41 PM
Yes, I've seen that issue and updated my client to the latest releases
for Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Leroy Joseph
Visual Click Software
(eDirectory Management and Reporting)
'eDirectory Management | DSRAZOR for eDirectory'
(http://www.visualclick.com/content/dsrazor-for-edirectory.htm)

--
leroyjjr
leroyjjr's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75462
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=453620

0
leroyjjr

Terminal serivices, Netware client 4.91.4, and login issue
Hello there, Back in April we were having problems logging in to Novell through a Terminal services session on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server. At the time it was recommended we update both the Novell Client(Now 4.91.4) and the terminal services client. For a while that seemed to resolve the login issue. However, now it has returned. I ran packet traces using WireShark and found that NMAS is returning a -1642 Login Failed message when the client contacts our GroupWise server (Our sole SLES 9 OES1 We have applied all patches from the channel and all service packs) to process ...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Error 8884 on login with 4.91 SP2
Newsgroup - I have a few machines that I have moved to client 4.91 SP2. (From SP1 with a bunch of post-SP1 patches.) On the machines that have been upgraded to 4.91 SP2, error 8884 is reported on a few mappings a good 50% of the time on login. The machines with SP1 are not seeing this problem. Did something change in SP2 that could be causing this? It's a totally random error, but it happens about half the time on login. - Matt Matt, Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare services/names over IP? If so, masking any info. you might consider a security hazard please post ...

ISSUE netware info NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1
I have Novell 5 SP6 server (IP and IPX).I am using NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1 on WinXP SP1, SP2 workstations - IP protocol is used. When i open netware info tab on XP machine - no information is present (look at screenshot). There is an directory with cyech diactics.When I use NW client 4.83 or 4.90 all informations are present. Thanks for your reply. begin 666 Nw issue.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_X0`617AI9@``24DJ``@```````````#_ MVP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L M(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R...

ISSUE netware info NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1
I have Novell 5 SP6 server (IP and IPX).I am using NW client 4.91 and 4.91 SP1 on WinXP SP1, SP2 workstations - IP protocol is used. When i open netware info tab on XP machine - no information is present (look at screenshot). There is an directory with czech diacritics.When I use NW client 4.83 or 4.90 all informations are present. Thanks for your reply. begin 666 Nw issue.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_X0`617AI9@``24DJ``@```````````#_ MVP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L M(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R<Y...

Slowness After Login
Hello. I'm having a slowness problem with Novell Client 4.91 and Windows XP SP2. The login process is fine. The speed is fine. About a minute after login, the system "pauses," and refuses to do anything. (The Windows Task monitor will appear, but nothing seems to be hogging the processor) The "pause" lasts for about 1 minute, and then the system is fine. All client operations are normal. The problem does not occur if I choose "workstation only," so I'm pretty sure that it is related to the Novell client. However, the problem is intermit...

Error Code 8884 with Client 4.91 SP2
I have a few workstations that I upgraded to the current version of Client32 and they are having great difficulty mapping drives to another server at a different location. They get the following errors: LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-890: The specified server is unknown. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. The error code was 8884. I did some research and found some info to change the Bad Address Cache in the client from 300 to 0. That did not seem to help. I configured the client for IP only. Workstation is XP SP2. Firewall turned ...

Client 4.91 install error and XP SP2
I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following error when the install should finish. An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: Novell client for windows. I haven't found any documentation on this. Any ideas woule be helpful. Thanks, Eric Kaufmann kaufmann@slu.edu wrote: > I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following > error when the install should finish. > > An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: > Novell client for windows. > > I haven't found any documen...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP SP2 & Contextless Login
Hello, I was just wondering if this is expected behavior from the Novell Client. I am setting up a new environment using OES2 Linux and ZCM, migrating from Netware 6.5 OES with a new tree. SLP is set up and DHCP works well. The issue is this, I am using ZCM to distribute a GP to the workstation using Shaun's ADM file. In the GP I have configured a Preferred Tree and LDAP Contextless Login settings. When a workstation is first set up, the client takes the settings right away. However, you cannot login using LDAP because the client does not try to use the LDAP.. the usern...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Error updating 4.90 client to 4.91 SP2
We are having this issue only on our lab systems where the local account is volatile. When upgrading the client on these systems, and then the subsequent reboot, we get an error "Windows cannot find 'C:\Document... blah blah.. \Temp\nwlocal.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Is there something this update does upon reboot that it requires that executable? Bob University of North Carolina at Charlotte Nwlocal.exe is launched after the reboot if you have specified that you want to delete the local copy of the Client install ...

WinXP SP2 with Client 4.91 SP2 Boot Up Issue
I have a WinXP SP2 workstation running Novell Client 4.91 SP2 that always boots up with the "Workstation Only" option checked. This has been the case from the first time the client was installed on the PC. I have never logged in as "Workstation Only" on this PC and the PC was connected to the network at the time the client was installed. Initially and subsequent times, it's logged into the network. Each time it's booted up, the "Workstation Only" checkbox has to be cleared. Any ideas? -- Lea Lea, > I have a WinXP SP2 workstati...

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

Web resources about - Novell Client 4.91 SP2 version - occasional Login Error 8884 issues - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Gun, with Occasional Music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The novel follows the adventures of Conrad Metcalf, a tough guy private detective and a wiseass, through a futuristic version of San Francisco ...

Funny or Die's The Occasional on the App Store on iTunes
Get Funny or Die's The Occasional on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Sydney's Airtasker acquires Melbourne rival Occasional Butler
Sydney based odd job outsourcer, Airtasker, has acquired its Melbourne rival, Occasional Butler, as it looks to expand its operations overseas. ...

Manuka Occasional Childcare Centre launches campaign to save site from land grab
Supporters of the Manuka Occasional Childcare Centre have rallied against a land swap that would see them forced off their prime parcel of inner-south ...

Airtasker scoops up Occasional Butler, eyes New York
Airtasker has acquired Melbourne-based startup Occasional Butler.

Sydney to Hobart: Bear Necessity, Tina and Occasional Coarse Language Too forced to withdraw
It was about two hours after the Sydney to Hobart started when the first casualties of the race were reported after the retirements of two boats, ...

Microsoft frees Visual Studio Online for occasional contributors
Responding to the growth of enterprise software development teams, Microsoft will allow occasional contributors to access the Visual Studio Online ...

Latest proposal for Manuka Occasional Childcare strikes community opposition
Attempts to quietly relocate Manuka Occasional Childcare Centre divides residents.

Will an occasional cigarette damage your health? - Health & Wellbeing
Many smokers only light up occasionally or when out for a drink with friends, but are they still risking their health?

Need occasional access to Windows on your Mac? Install it on a USB key …
If you need occasional access to Windows without permanently sacrificing precious space on your SSD, a how-to guide by Sam Power may have the ...