Netware & Windows XP...

Windows XP Pro SP 2
Novell Client 4.90 SP2

Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall and still be able to
connect to my Netware tree?

Whenever I enable my firewall...even with exceptions...all my Netware
traffic comes to a screaching halt.

Thanx.
0
stmasi

You may want to give this a go:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10095407.htm

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a real firewall instead of the MS toy.

stmasi@hotmail.com wrote:
> Windows XP Pro SP 2
> Novell Client 4.90 SP2
>
> Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall and still be able to
> connect to my Netware tree?
>
> Whenever I enable my firewall...even with exceptions...all my Netware
> traffic comes to a screaching halt.
>
> Thanx.
0
Duane
8/30/2005 11:40:09 PM
We have installed both the 4.8 and 4.9 versions of the Novell Client
(configured as IP only) on WindowsXP and have the Windows Firewall
enabled and have NOT added any items in the exceptions list.  It just works.

Don

--
D.Lohr
Technical Services

++ Bad command or file name  ++
Dear Board,

Yesterday I powered down my laptop (XP Home) with the power switch while
Novell client was running.  When I brought it up at home (without the
network) it allowed me to log in as a workstation only, but then after a
few hours it started to run really slow and then all the icons
dissapeared and the system locked up.  I powered down and when it tried
to reboot, first of all it came up really slowly, it got past the XP
screen but then on the HP background it said Novell Security Message:
you have encountered an unexpected login failure! Status 0x6EC04
Novell says its a Microsoft code, Microsoft says its HP support.  HP
doesn't seem to know what it means either.  I can't find this status
code anywhere in the Microsoft knowledge base or the Novell.

I tried rebooting in safe mode.  Tried booting from CD but it seems to
always come back to this error.

Please Help!

Sincerely,

John <><
0
John
9/21/2005 6:01:28 PM
John,

What happened during those few hours at home?
XP Home is a tricky animal in terms of business-class networking and its
support.
Is re-imaging or otherwise setting up XP Pro an option?

Windows Event logs showing anything unusual?
Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

Security or any other driver-based software like firewall, VPN, remote
management or antivirus installed and running?

Can you give us any details about the make/model of hardware, NIC and its
drivers, etc. of said workstation?

Can you verify a virus, spyware or some other corruption has not affected
Windows?
I've used these free utilities in the past to help troubleshoot and they can
tell you wonders about what is really going with Windows...

AutoRuns, Process Explorer, Filemon, Regmon, LoadOrder, TCPView, and TDImon
http://www.sysinternals.com/

DriverView, ServiWin, and AdapterWatch
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/

--
Tony Pedretti

0
Tony

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Windows XP & Netware 4.2 Network Printer Captures
Printer capture settings drop off (disappear as though an End Cap was issued) after the first print job on our Windows XP computers. Is this a Windows XP or Client 32 problem? Is there a workaround or fix? This didn't happen on Windows 98se. Server: Netware 4.2 SFT3 Workstation: Windows XP Professional sp 1 Client32: 4.83sp3 Thanks, Larry These DOS print jobs? -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com Yes, they are DOS print jobs. S/ Larry Dave Lunn wrote: > These DOS print jobs? Geeze this is getting old. XP really doesn&#...

Zen 4 & windows xp using netware 5.1
is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) have just bought in 100 xp pc's and want the workstations rectricted centrally. thankyou PM > windows group policies Group Policies are what ZfD4 uses to restrict a Win2k and XP PC. -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop paul.matchett@hotmail.com, > is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's > and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) Just a...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Win2k SP4 & Office XP & Netware Client
We are having an issue with Windows 2000 SP4 and Office XP and the Netware client 4.83/4.90. Ever since we upgraded our Windows 2000 computers to SP4 the Office XP shortcut bar has become slow and we are recieving a lot of complaints about it. This problem does not exist with Windows 2000 SP 0,1,2,3. But once you go to SP4, the shortcut bar slows down. Opening Word or Excel from START/Program Files and the app comes up immediately. Use the shortcut bar and you got a 10 to 15 second delay before the app loads. I've pretty much traced it to the Netware client. 4.83 and 4.90...

XP Prof & Eudora 5.2 & netware Client
Can someone confirm why it takes longer to open Eudora in XP then in WIN98.... Users mail are kept on the Netware servers... and a possible fix which will speed the startup procedure Old setup Win98 with Netware 3.40 client New setup XP Prof with Netware 4.83 Sp2 or 4.9 with Pack A Any ideas greatly appreciated. many thanks Faiz Faiz, There is a lot of over-head in XP. Have you tried doing any clean-up, disabling services, applying tweaks as posted thoroughout this forum, etc.? OEM image of XP or your own? IP, IPX or both? -- Tony Pedretti TransUni...

Netware Administrator for Windows XP
Hi! we are using Novell Netware 4.2 under Windows 98 SE. and to administrate users, i use Novell Administrator for windows 98 Requester Version 3.30.0. but i can not use this probram under Windows XP. do you know if i can find Novell Administrator for windows XP. Many thanks. Ahmed Abdelmoumen Ahmed, You need to use nwadmn32.exe. If its on your server it'll be in the sys:public\win32 directory, if its not there you can download from: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/admn519f.exe/ -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. ...

Netware and Windows XP Home
I understand that the Netware Client is not officially supported on Windows XP Home. I've also read on this site that much of Netware 6.5's functionality is available with only a browser on the client. Does this mean that I no longer need the Netware Client on a Netware 6.5 installation? However, if the Netware Client is still needed, are there any workarounds for Windows XP Home. Thanks!!! Jerry K. A client is still recommended in most cases. There are no required workarounds for XP Home because there are no issues. It is simply not supported because MS does n...

Windows XP Timesynchronisation and Netware
hi, i have a problem with timesynchronisation between winxps and netware. timesync between win2ks and netware are ok. the timesync ist at the netware activate and at the nc, too. does anybody know about this problem? what can i check or do? thanks. When someone logs into the network from an XP workstation, they need to have 'power user' rights in order for the time to be updated from the NetWare server. What version of the client are you running by the way? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

Question on utility NWADMIN for NetWare 4.0 which are compatible with Windows 2000 Pro Windows XP Pro
Good afternoon! On a file server it is established NetWare 4.0. Earlier management of this server was carried out by means of utility NWADMIN95 which is established on the computer with Windows 98SE and Client32. Now there is a question of installation on all computers Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. Thus on official site Novell.com i have found utilities NWADMIN and Client32 only for NetWare 5.0 and later versions. Though these utilities are compatible with Windows 2000/XP Pro, these utilities are incompatible with Netware 4.0. Ask to inf...

Netware 3.12 & XP
I have installed Netware Client 4.9 onto a workstation running Win XP Pro. I would like to log on to a Netware server running Netware 3.12 (I know its old but it still has some uses). Is this possible or do I need to go back to an older version of the client? Many thanks. Nah, you can do it, just remember to use the right frame type with IPX. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com > Nah, you can do it, just remember to use the right frame type with IPX. > -- > Dave Lunn > NSC SysOp > http://support-forums.novell.com > > I ...

XP pro with Netware and windows client
I have a user who used to logon to netware and then was prompted for a windows password. This worked fine. Recently all of a sudden it is now going straight to the windows logon. It is not part of a domain but a workgroup, There are windows 2003 servers in the network but not set up at all on this machine. Once I logon to windows It goes to netware and asked to logon to the netware network. I have to choose the server inwhich we only have one and then logon again. It is backwards to what I was doing before,. Please help. Thanks client. 4.9 and or 4.83 Burnabryan, Can ...

Web resources about - Netware & Windows XP... - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ