NetWare Servr Only - Login to NetWare and Local Windows XP on shared Computer?

We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later
date.  We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into
my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows
XP PC.  Are there settings somewhere that I need to review?

I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs
adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no
password where it could be accessed by anyone

Any suggestions?
0
Novell

IDM,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
Automatic
3/16/2010 7:44:06 PM
#1 - Generic ID via AutoAdmin Login is one option.

#2 - Using ZENworks to Dynamically Create Accounts for you.  Clearly
this requires ZENworks.  Unfortunately, this is another product you do
not own and would be used to manage your PCs in a greater fashion than
you do now.

#3 - Configure your NetWare Server to Host a Virtual Windows Domain.
Join the PCs to that domain.  Ask in the NetWare forum for Details.
Mention the OES migration to make sure what you do is not lost.

On 3/10/2010 5:11 PM, Novell Learning wrote:
> We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later
> date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my
> tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP
> PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review?
>
> I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs
> adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no
> password where it could be accessed by anyone
>
> Any suggestions?

0
craig

Windows XP Timesynchronisation and Netware
hi, i have a problem with timesynchronisation between winxps and netware. timesync between win2ks and netware are ok. the timesync ist at the netware activate and at the nc, too. does anybody know about this problem? what can i check or do? thanks. When someone logs into the network from an XP workstation, they need to have 'power user' rights in order for the time to be updated from the NetWare server. What version of the client are you running by the way? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

Netware and Windows XP Home
I understand that the Netware Client is not officially supported on Windows XP Home. I've also read on this site that much of Netware 6.5's functionality is available with only a browser on the client. Does this mean that I no longer need the Netware Client on a Netware 6.5 installation? However, if the Netware Client is still needed, are there any workarounds for Windows XP Home. Thanks!!! Jerry K. A client is still recommended in most cases. There are no required workarounds for XP Home because there are no issues. It is simply not supported because MS does n...

Netware & Windows XP...
Windows XP Pro SP 2 Novell Client 4.90 SP2 Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall and still be able to connect to my Netware tree? Whenever I enable my firewall...even with exceptions...all my Netware traffic comes to a screaching halt. Thanx. You may want to give this a go: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10095407.htm Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a real firewall instead of the MS toy. stmasi@hotmail.com wrote: > Windows XP Pro SP 2 > Novell Client 4.90 SP2 > > Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall ...

Netware Administrator for Windows XP
Hi! we are using Novell Netware 4.2 under Windows 98 SE. and to administrate users, i use Novell Administrator for windows 98 Requester Version 3.30.0. but i can not use this probram under Windows XP. do you know if i can find Novell Administrator for windows XP. Many thanks. Ahmed Abdelmoumen Ahmed, You need to use nwadmn32.exe. If its on your server it'll be in the sys:public\win32 directory, if its not there you can download from: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/admn519f.exe/ -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

NetWare 4.2 to Windows XP
I have a NetWare 4.2 server and a Widows XP Professional Service Pack 2 server and I am trying to figure out a way to get these two servers to communicate with eachother without installing NetWare on the Windows XP server. I found the NetWare 4.2 manual in the documentation archive on Novell's website and I've looked through it a bit and haven't found anything. I searched other postings on this group and one other and didn't have much luck there either. I'm trying to do this because I want to move files from the NetWare machine to the Windows XP machine. If anyon...

Sync password Netware and Windows XP
when upgrading windows client for netware from 4.83 to 4.90 we face this problem : We lost the sync between netware login an windows login. the box "synchronise" stay gray and we cannot synchronise after a succesfull login. i apply sp1 on 4.90 client : same the only way i have found is to desinstall nmas client support ... any idea ? Install the client w/o NMAS. You can try disabling it, but I prefer installing it w/o any NMAS support unless it is absolutely required. cessih.begin@free.fr wrote: > when upgrading windows client for netware from 4...

XP pro with Netware and windows client
I have a user who used to logon to netware and then was prompted for a windows password. This worked fine. Recently all of a sudden it is now going straight to the windows logon. It is not part of a domain but a workgroup, There are windows 2003 servers in the network but not set up at all on this machine. Once I logon to windows It goes to netware and asked to logon to the netware network. I have to choose the server inwhich we only have one and then logon again. It is backwards to what I was doing before,. Please help. Thanks client. 4.9 and or 4.83 Burnabryan, Can ...

Windows XP and NetWare Client Interoperability
We have several WinXP boxes with the most current service pack as well as the most current security updates from MS that had issues functioning with any version of client above 4.83sp1e. The solution for that issue was to install the 4.83sp1e client. However, now many of the boxes we fixed already as well as some additional ones aren't responding to this fix. The login scripts run perfectly and it appears that everything is fine, but when you try to access any of the mapped drives that point to NetWare volumes, explorer.exe locks up and you have to shutdown before the compu...

netware 3.20 and windows XP
I know that my novell server should be retired. But can I connect a windows XP client to my old novell 3.20 server? > I know that my novell server should be retired. > But can I connect a windows XP client to my old novell 3.20 server? > We have netware 3.21 and have several Windows XP machines connecting, using the Novell Client, installed as a bindery. They all have XP service pack 1 installed. However, a new machine with XP service pack 2 will not connect. This should work with client 32 without problems. Given that you have a 3.2 version of NetWare, I'd suggest...

Netware 5 and Windows 2000 or XP
We are currently using Netware 5 and running it with Windows 95. We need to upgrade our Windows system and were wondering if Netware 5 is compatible with Windows 2000 or Windows XP? If not, which version would we need to run with Windows 2000 or Windows XP? Thank you Janet Sure -- it is compatible -- probably best (given a NetWare 5 environment) with Client 32 4.83: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html After that, you may want to download and deploy the SP3 update: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968055.htm -- Barry ...

Netware/IP Client for Windows XP
Hello I have currently been given the task of making our Novell Netware 4.11 Server communicate over IP. I have read about the use of Netware/IP to encapsulate the IPX packets in an IP packet so that this form of communication can occur, and I have also read about the downfalls of it, and a move to a more recent server would be the ideal solution, but that isn't going to happen and I need to get this to work. Am I right in thinking that you need to set up the Netware Client on the PC's to connect to the Netware/IP server? Is this possible using the Client for XP. ...

Windows XP x64 Netware client?
Any word on this yet? I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... > > Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > John, So did you see this post by Hamish ? > From what I've seen its because the API's and interface keep changing > right up until the release date. A beta client that works with beta 1 of > the OS won't work with Beta 2, a beta 2 client won't work with the First > Releae Candidate .....

Web resources about - NetWare Servr Only - Login to NetWare and Local Windows XP on shared Computer? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Computer Show

Secrets of North Korea's Red Star computer operating system revealed
German researchers have delved into the secretive state's computer code and found a dichotomy.

North Korea's Red Star OS leaves the government in control of computers
... for anyone to tamper with it. If a user makes any changes to core functions like trying to disable its antivirus checker or firewall the computer ...

Using computers in North Korea - Business Insider
VIDEO: They have fake versions of every application.

Ammosexual GOP Staffer Holds Computer Tech At Gunpoint So He'll Work Faster
The gun looked real enough to Dell computer technician Dustin Sternbeck when GOP lobbyist and former staffer to Kay Bailey Hutchison aimed it ...

Israeli Defense Official Fired For Keeping Secret Info On Personal Computer
... head of Israel's missile defense program has been terminated from his position for allegedly storing classified information on a personal computer. ...

Where Krugman Goes Wrong On Technological Advance: It's Computers All The Way Down
Paul Krugman's recent column on technological advance in the economy in general makes a mistake I'm afraid. He says that sure, we did have advancing ...

Short Film About a Computer's Insistent Reminders Is Our Real Dystopia
... depressing future. The aftermath of nuclear bombs. Overpopulation. Climate change. And yet, Carmel Joy’s “Final,” with its multiplying computer ...