Netware/IP Client for Windows XP

Hello

I have currently been given the task of making our Novell Netware 4.11
Server communicate over IP.  I have read about the use of Netware/IP to
encapsulate the IPX packets in an IP packet so that this form of
communication can occur, and I have also read about the downfalls of it,
and a move to a more recent server would be the ideal solution, but that
isn't going to happen and I need to get this to work.

Am I right in thinking that you need to set up the Netware Client on the
PC's to connect to the Netware/IP server?  Is this possible using the
Client for XP.  From the technical documents I have read on this subject I
understand that Novell is withdrawing its support of Netware/IP for
clients and as such it is no longer installed by default and you have to
force it to install, but I cannot find it anywhere in the XP Client I
have.

Does anyane know how this can be achieved, or where I can get instructions
I make this happen.

I have been trying to get this communication to work using a Windows 98
station, which I have been able to get Netware/IP installed, but I still
cannot get the Client to see the Tree, Context or Server, however, i am
able to ping the server using both its name and ip address from the MS Dos
Prompt.  Does anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening?

Oh, one more things, I am also trying to back up the NDS of our server,
and i am using SBACKUP, which I think is right, but is it possible to back
up this information to a floppy disk, rather than a tape drive?  As you
can maybe tell I am completely new to all things Novell, and am struggling
quite a lot!!!

Thank you for your time.

Gary
0
gpark

Hi Gary

Not sure NWIP is included in the 4.9 client. If not try to find an older
client on the Net and use this to install NWIP. Then upgrade this client to
4.9
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10026604.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10058647.htm

You also have to install the NWIP service on the server and point the client
to the ipaddress of the this server. Should be in the NW 4.11 documentation.

Peter

> Hello
>
> I have currently been given the task of making our Novell Netware 4.11
> Server communicate over IP.  I have read about the use of Netware/IP to
> encapsulate the IPX packets in an IP packet so that this form of
> communication can occur, and I have also read about the downfalls of it,
> and a move to a more recent server would be the ideal solution, but that
> isn't going to happen and I need to get this to work.
>
> Am I right in thinking that you need to set up the Netware Client on the
> PC's to connect to the Netware/IP server?  Is this possible using the
> Client for XP.  From the technical documents I have read on this subject I
> understand that Novell is withdrawing its support of Netware/IP for
> clients and as such it is no longer installed by default and you have to
> force it to install, but I cannot find it anywhere in the XP Client I
> have.
>
> Does anyane know how this can be achieved, or where I can get instructions
> I make this happen.
>
> I have been trying to get this communication to work using a Windows 98
> station, which I have been able to get Netware/IP installed, but I still
> cannot get the Client to see the Tree, Context or Server, however, i am
> able to ping the server using both its name and ip address from the MS Dos
> Prompt.  Does anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening?
>
> Oh, one more things, I am also trying to back up the NDS of our server,
> and i am using SBACKUP, which I think is right, but is it possible to back
> up this information to a floppy disk, rather than a tape drive?  As you
> can maybe tell I am completely new to all things Novell, and am struggling
> quite a lot!!!
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Gary

0
Peter

XP pro with Netware and windows client
I have a user who used to logon to netware and then was prompted for a windows password. This worked fine. Recently all of a sudden it is now going straight to the windows logon. It is not part of a domain but a workgroup, There are windows 2003 servers in the network but not set up at all on this machine. Once I logon to windows It goes to netware and asked to logon to the netware network. I have to choose the server inwhich we only have one and then logon again. It is backwards to what I was doing before,. Please help. Thanks client. 4.9 and or 4.83 Burnabryan, Can ...

Windows XP x64 Netware client?
Any word on this yet? I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > I know it was posted earlier in the ng, but no word on it... > > Heck Windows XP x64 has been out since April! > John, So did you see this post by Hamish ? > From what I've seen its because the API's and interface keep changing > right up until the release date. A beta client that works with beta 1 of > the OS won't work with Beta 2, a beta 2 client won't work with the First > Releae Candidate .....

Windows XP and NetWare Client Interoperability
We have several WinXP boxes with the most current service pack as well as the most current security updates from MS that had issues functioning with any version of client above 4.83sp1e. The solution for that issue was to install the 4.83sp1e client. However, now many of the boxes we fixed already as well as some additional ones aren't responding to this fix. The login scripts run perfectly and it appears that everything is fine, but when you try to access any of the mapped drives that point to NetWare volumes, explorer.exe locks up and you have to shutdown before the compu...

NetWare 5 client on Windows XP machine??
Is there an update/apgrade for NW5 that will install a client on Windows XP box? Thanks! Larry On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:27:27 GMT, larry@sigmawebstudios.com wrote: >Is there an update/apgrade for NW5 that will install a client on Windows >XP box? The most recent Novell client for Windows XP (and the whole NT family) is 4.90 with SP2. Go to http://download.novell.com/pages/PublicSearch.jsp and select Novell Client as the product and Windows XP as the platform. If you have only NW 5.x servers, however, you may find 4.83 with SP3 easier to install. Unfortunately, I can...

Windows XP Netware client performance / Speed
I've seen many questions posted here regarding running older Netware servers and Windows servers with both clients installed. Most answers point to the same set of websites. I've messed with all the registry hacks, etc. What really made the difference on my machine is posted below. BTW: This is WINXP PRO SP2, with NWClient 4.83SP3, Asus Gigabit NIC, 1Gb of RAM and P4 2.6Ghz Hyperthreading on. Right click on "My Network Places" and select properties. From the menu bar, select ADVANCED / ADVANCED SETTINGS... Under ADAPTERS AND BINDINGS, select the Connecti...

Windows XP Netware Client and DOS programs
Can anyone tell me the earliest client that works with Windows XP and where I can find a copy? I upgraded to 4.91 and it will not allow me to run one of my old DOS programs. I uninstalled it and it works just fine from XP alone (without the client). I then uninstalled 4.91 and installed client 4.83 SP2 and I have the same result. I guess I need to keep going back in time to the first client that works with XP. I run 3 old DOS programs, Wordstar 7.0 LAN, Foxpro 2.0 LAN and Borland Sprint. Only Sprint refuses to run, despite all kinds of machinations. Any help would be app...

Netware Client and Windows XP x64 edition
Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 edition. It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with x64 ? On 9/16/2005 daveg@veem.com.au wrote: > Is there a version of Netware Client which is suitable for Windows XP x64 > edition. Not at the moment > It appears that the current client 4.91 will not function with > x64 ? Correct. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Netware Client on MS Windows XP X64
I have a new AMD Athlon 64 Processor PC with MS Windows X64 edition installed on a nVidia nForce4 chipset motherboard. The machine seems to be operating properly in the network and I can browse the internet through a router. I have installed the NetWare client 4.91. The client does not load properly, in the files do not seem to be where the program expects them to be, and therefore the client fails to load on startup. Is there a work around? Is there a Win XP X64 version of the NetWare client? What are my options other than installing Win 32? Thank you for your time and ass...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Netware Client and Window XP Service pack to conflict
While setting up brand new machines recently I ran into the following problem. Machines=> HP/Compaq business d530. First I Updated a computer with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. After reboot the computer complained that I didn't have and anti-virus program installed, which I can install from our Novell server. So I then installed a netware client (4.83 sp 1). After the install of the client and reboot I attempted to log into our Netware server. At about the time the desktop icons should appear the machine simply turned off and rebooted. I could never log onto ...

Remove Netware Client 4.9 on Windows XP
I use a unattend.txt to do the install. Then I edit that file and add the DoRemove=YES and it looks like it works. But at the end I get a error saying: "The installation was not completed successfully". But if I reboot then it looks like everything is gone. I need some way of removing the client from about 800 workstations, and I would like some way of scripting it. I did a search on CoolSolutions and the knowledgebase and did not really come up with anything that helped. Thanks, Greg Marcom marcom@purdue.edu Technical Support Administrator Purdue University ...

netware 3.21 with windows xp Pro as client
Is there a solution without buying the latest Novell netware to allow my new Windows XP pro client computer to see the Newtware 3.21 server's workgroup? I did run the windows xp pro's netware installation, but it does not see any of the file server's files - not good. Download v4.83 with SP2 from: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html install it with Bindery options and 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Then apply SP3 patch from: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968055.htm -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum ...

Web resources about - Netware/IP Client for Windows XP - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp