NetWare Client on Win 2k & XP

We are just starting to use 2K Pro & XP Pro on our desktops. We have a
NT
4.0 domain across a WAN. You got your PDC at corporate and BDC's
spread out
across the company at each location. Also have member servers setup
for
Exchange 5.5. Each location also has NetWare servers. My location has
two
NetWare 5 servers (sp6a). It was my understanding in order for
authentication to occur on a NT network using NT / 2k Pro / XP Pro
computer
accounts must be setup. The domain admin setup the account. I made
sure the
computer named matched the name he gave when setting up the computer
account.

The NetWare logon screen comes up, but as opposed to automatically
synchronizing with the NT account, I am prompted to logon locally.
Should be
this happening? Do I need an account on the local computer that will
sync up
with the NetWare one? Just need a document or article that will answer
these
questions.

Sadly, it took almost 10 years before it was recognized that Win 9x is
piece
of crap. Thanks.

0
Brian

Brian,

See replies in earlier thread.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be
ignored)

0
Hamish

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Win2k SP4 & Office XP & Netware Client
We are having an issue with Windows 2000 SP4 and Office XP and the Netware client 4.83/4.90. Ever since we upgraded our Windows 2000 computers to SP4 the Office XP shortcut bar has become slow and we are recieving a lot of complaints about it. This problem does not exist with Windows 2000 SP 0,1,2,3. But once you go to SP4, the shortcut bar slows down. Opening Word or Excel from START/Program Files and the app comes up immediately. Use the shortcut bar and you got a 10 to 15 second delay before the app loads. I've pretty much traced it to the Netware client. 4.83 and 4.90...

XP Prof & Eudora 5.2 & netware Client
Can someone confirm why it takes longer to open Eudora in XP then in WIN98.... Users mail are kept on the Netware servers... and a possible fix which will speed the startup procedure Old setup Win98 with Netware 3.40 client New setup XP Prof with Netware 4.83 Sp2 or 4.9 with Pack A Any ideas greatly appreciated. many thanks Faiz Faiz, There is a lot of over-head in XP. Have you tried doing any clean-up, disabling services, applying tweaks as posted thoroughout this forum, etc.? OEM image of XP or your own? IP, IPX or both? -- Tony Pedretti TransUni...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

Netware client setup on Win XP Pro
Hello there, I've been refered to this newsgroup from another Novell one. I'm trying to configure Novell Client 4.83 on a Wnidows XP machine connecting to Novell 4.11 Basically I am trying to avoid having to setup every user as a local account, and simply have the client login, skipping the login to local account bit. I have ben referred to >1) Configure the PC to use "AutoAdminLogon" - >http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10052847.htm >(Each User uses the same local account) and this seems to be the correct solution, I am tryi...

Netware 2k/XP client performance is slower than Win9x?\
We are running a Windows application at a school from the network. The EXE file is 8MB in size and is pulled down by the client each time the applicaiton is ran. On new computers with Win2k/XP this takes about 10-20 seconds. On old computers running Win95/98 this takes about 5 seconds or less. We are running 4.90 and 3.40 of course. Any idea why this is so much slower, I assume this has something to do with the way the clients work on the different OSes. Thanks, Greg Greg, 2000/XP tend to be hogs compared to Windows 9x. Just look at the number of services...

Netware client & XP "Home" edition
Any recent news to report on using the Netware client (on a 3.2 ipx network) with Windows XP Home? I've done it before with success, but XP Home, of course, isn't made for networking with Netware. I could build up a test rig at home and give it a try, but does anyone know of any unforseen pitfalls that might have come up via recent Windows updates (which might have broken things that allowed Netware client for Windows to work with XP Home in the past)? [Unfortunately, I dismantled my prior workstation that had XP Home & Netware Client for Windows on it, so I no lo...

Remote Access with Win XP and Netware Client 4.9?
I have a few XP laptops I'm trying to get working for home and the office. The laptops are running Novell Netware Client 4.9, and I got them working in the office, no problem. They had to be configured for IP and IPX, and it was a cinch to get going. We use a Netware Server for Groupwise, and other hosted shared applications. I figured the same login and password would work remotely, but it doesn't. Is there anything I have to do special to get this working? I heard about Remote Access Service (RAS), but I can't find it. betaphiwoozy, VPN is usually the best app...

Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode
I have gateway 200xl with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client 4.90 SP2 English on Windows NT/2000/XP (English) installed connected to the NW 5.1 on dell server. Problem: When screen saver kicks inn user can login into workstation but cant even find my server. Is it neware problem or hardware problem with network card? Can you guide me? Thanks Joe, Could be a name resolution issue. Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP? Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NetIdentity, etc.)? Is the Novell Client instal...

Win XP client for Netware 4.10 doesn't work
We have a small Netware 4.10 network. Since would like to connect Windows XP (SP1) PCs to that net, we have downloaded the latest 98/2000/XP client (49sp2e.exe zipped file) and installed on one PC. Installation seems to be succesfull, but the client doesn't connect to the server (Cant'find the server error). Did I miss doing something? There is any extra configuration to do? Has anyone experienced (and possibly solved) such a problem? Thansk in advance to any helper... Riccardo Make sure you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Also, v4...

Netware 4.10 & Win XP SP2
Can anybody please help with a problem we seem to have? We have recently added a couple of WinXP Prof. SP2 work stations using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 to our Novell 4.10 network. The server has been fully patched. We now seem to be experience a continual message appearing on the bottom right hand task bar of these work stations saying "limited or no connectivity". The workstation seem to function correctly as we can see the 4.10 server & applications seem to run fine. Why is this message happening? How can we stop it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

disab le the ability to cancel a login on Win XP pro with Netware Client
I am posing this question to the discussion group. How can we through Novell 5.1 with a Win XP 4.9 client require a login with a user name and password rather than establishing a BIOS password. Thank you in advance. Also is there a specific location where I would be able to acces this information? Gary Hawk H-L School Bascom, Ohio Gary, Since the Windows NT security model requires you to logon locally or via a domain you need to authenticate to a Windows account in addition to eDirectory(NDS). Its usually recommended to sync the account names and passwords between Wind...

Web resources about - NetWare Client on Win 2k & XP - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ