Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode

I have gateway 200xl with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP SP2 with Novell
Client 4.90 SP2 English on Windows NT/2000/XP (English) installed
connected to the NW 5.1 on dell server.
Problem: When screen saver kicks inn user can login into workstation but
cant even find my server. Is it neware problem or hardware problem with
network card? Can you guide me?

Joe

Joe,

Could be a name resolution issue.  Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over
IP?

Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS,
NetIdentity, etc.)?
Is the Novell Client installed IP, IPX or both?

Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?
Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

Verify security or any other driver-based software like antivirus is not
getting in the way?  How about remote management?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
9/27/2004 4:44:38 AM
Client installed as IP only. No unusual log from XP.We dont have control
SLP.

Any help???

> Joe,
>
> Could be a name resolution issue.  Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names
over
> IP?
>
> Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD
agents, NMAS,
> NetIdentity, etc.)?
> Is the Novell Client installed IP, IPX or both?
>
> Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual?
> Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?
>
> Verify security or any other driver-based software like antivirus is not
> getting in the way?  How about remote management?
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

0
Joe
9/29/2004 4:10:48 PM
Joe,

What does "We dont have control SLP." mean?

How do you resolve NetWare names over IP?
SLP is the preferred method and usually recommend in any setup of NetWare 5.0 or above.

Have you tried disabling power management on the NIC?

Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. Workstation Manager, NMAS,
etc.)?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
9/29/2004 5:54:10 PM
Sorry i am new to netware so its take time for me to understand. REally
appreciates your useful information. Yes we have SLP setup to resolve
server name over ip and all our clients works fine except this one. Diable
all sleep setting under nic. One more thing happend after disableing NIc
settings. The client can login in work station but can't connect to
netware server without rebooting his laptop. And sometimes even if its not
going to sleep mode and you dont use netware server for hours it
automatically disconnect him from server...We are not using any add
componets but to solve this we tried to do typical installation which does
install NMAS...

> Joe,
>
> What does "We dont have control SLP." mean?
>
> How do you resolve NetWare names over IP?
> SLP is the preferred method and usually recommend in any setup of
NetWare 5.0 or above.

> Have you tried disabling power management on the NIC?
>
> Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie.
Workstation Manager, NMAS,
> etc.)?
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

0
joe
9/30/2004 2:57:39 PM
When it comes to authentication issues, I would remove NMAS if you don't need it...

Prevent NMAS Authentication from being enabled while installing the Novell Client 4.90 for
NT/2000/XP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086934.htm

Is a default server set in either the client properties or the eDirectory/NDS user object?

Masking any info. you might consider a security hazard, can you post the contents of
SLPINFO /ALL run from the command-prompt on these boxes?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Windows XP, Netware 5, client 4.83 sp2
LS. Workstation XP with Novell client 4.83 Sp2 is very slow retrieving info from server (Novell 5). Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most we use tweaks) 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 server? Dirk > Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most > we use tweaks) No, 4.83 SP2 or SP3 should do fine -- what protocols did you set up? > 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 > server? > You might try the more rece...

Remote Access with Win XP and Netware Client 4.9?
I have a few XP laptops I'm trying to get working for home and the office. The laptops are running Novell Netware Client 4.9, and I got them working in the office, no problem. They had to be configured for IP and IPX, and it was a cinch to get going. We use a Netware Server for Groupwise, and other hosted shared applications. I figured the same login and password would work remotely, but it doesn't. Is there anything I have to do special to get this working? I heard about Remote Access Service (RAS), but I can't find it. betaphiwoozy, VPN is usually the best app...

Client 4.90 sp2 and XP sp2
I have a few XP workstations with sp2 and the firewall set to "on". A few of my workstations are having problems with seeing the NDS tree. They will be able to login in but after a minute when windows loads everything - they are not able to access anything on the novell network. We can see the mapped drives but as soon as we click on it - it says it is not available. We try to login again and we will receive an error message that it cannot find the tree when we click on the context. This will happen intermittenly and can kick them off at any moment. It only happ...

Win XP client for Netware 4.10 doesn't work
We have a small Netware 4.10 network. Since would like to connect Windows XP (SP1) PCs to that net, we have downloaded the latest 98/2000/XP client (49sp2e.exe zipped file) and installed on one PC. Installation seems to be succesfull, but the client doesn't connect to the server (Cant'find the server error). Did I miss doing something? There is any extra configuration to do? Has anyone experienced (and possibly solved) such a problem? Thansk in advance to any helper... Riccardo Make sure you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Also, v4...

Netware 4.10 & Win XP SP2
Can anybody please help with a problem we seem to have? We have recently added a couple of WinXP Prof. SP2 work stations using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 to our Novell 4.10 network. The server has been fully patched. We now seem to be experience a continual message appearing on the bottom right hand task bar of these work stations saying "limited or no connectivity". The workstation seem to function correctly as we can see the 4.10 server & applications seem to run fine. Why is this message happening? How can we stop it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Win XP SP2 / Client 4.9 SP2
Is Netware Client 4.9 SP2 compatible with Windows XP SP2 ??? What is "Windows XP SP2"? Where can I get it? ;-) <dnowak@robinsonknife.com> wrote in message news:ixUJc.4547$gg.2326@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Is Netware Client 4.9 SP2 compatible with Windows XP SP2 ??? > Is Netware Client 4.9 SP2 compatible with Windows XP SP2 ??? Yes -- there are some post SP2 updates to the 4.9 client -- they are not 'full release' yet but might be of use here as well. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop dnowak, I've bee...

Netware 4.10 & Win XP Sp2
Hi folks Configuration: Novell 4.10 server (fully patched), WinXP Prof SP2 workstation using Novell Client 4.83 SP3. When we go to "My Network Places" and try & navigate, Novell Connections, then double click on the server icon, we get "main" & "sys" shown, if we then try & click on either of these icons we get a warning message as below: " \\server\MAIN is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." Followe...

Web resources about - Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ