Microsoft Netware client with Netware 6.5?

Should the built in Netware Client in Windows XP still work with a
Netware 6.5 system?
I am trying to use it to connect a PC to our Netware server and just get
network errors.
I assume the Microsoft client uses IPX and I wasn't sure if Netware 6.5
still supports it?

Thanks
Andrew
0
ajfarmer

ajfarmer@purac.co.uk wrote:
> Should the built in Netware Client in Windows XP still work with a
> Netware 6.5 system?
> I am trying to use it to connect a PC to our Netware server and just get
> network errors.
> I assume the Microsoft client uses IPX and I wasn't sure if Netware 6.5
> still supports it?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Yet, NetWare 6.5 still supports IPX you just need to load it.
Best to ask in the NetWare forum on how to add this protocol.

--
Craig Wilson
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> ajfarmer@purac.co.uk wrote:
> > Should the built in Netware Client in Windows XP still work with a
> > Netware 6.5 system?
> > I am trying to use it to connect a PC to our Netware server and just
get
> > network errors.
> > I assume the Microsoft client uses IPX and I wasn't sure if Netware
6.5
> > still supports it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andrew
>
> Yet, NetWare 6.5 still supports IPX you just need to load it.
> Best to ask in the NetWare forum on how to add this protocol.
>
> --
> Craig Wilson
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCN

Thanks, so I would need to install the IPX protocol on the servers?
Might leave that for now :)
Only just looking into our  Novell system so better not mess too much yet.
0
ajfarmer
10/5/2006 2:27:45 PM
Yes, the MS Client for NetWare requires IPX.

An alternate solution is to Enable CIFS on you NetWare box so it appears
as a Windows Server.  This would allow the XP stations to communicate
w/o using IPX by using MS NetWorking.

Setting this up is a litte more involved but may be preferred if you
have a WAN infrastructure.

ajfarmer@purac.co.uk wrote:
>> ajfarmer@purac.co.uk wrote:
>>> Should the built in Netware Client in Windows XP still work with a
>>> Netware 6.5 system?
>>> I am trying to use it to connect a PC to our Netware server and just
> get
>>> network errors.
>>> I assume the Microsoft client uses IPX and I wasn't sure if Netware
> 6.5
>>> still supports it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Andrew
>> Yet, NetWare 6.5 still supports IPX you just need to load it.
>> Best to ask in the NetWare forum on how to add this protocol.
>>
>> --
>> Craig Wilson
>> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
>> Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCN
>
> Thanks, so I would need to install the IPX protocol on the servers?
> Might leave that for now :)
> Only just looking into our  Novell system so better not mess too much yet.

--
Craig Wilson
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCN
0
craig

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

Netware 6 and Netware 5
Have to upgrade a 3.12 server. Already have a 5.0 server. Is there any problem installing a NW 6 server into a network that consists of a NW 5 Server with master nds on NW 5? We cannot upgrade the NW 5 server just yet. Thanks Tim Patch the nw5 server to the latest support pack and ds version and use the deployment manager to prepare your tree and you should be fine I'd say. Cheers, Edward "Tim Well" <timwell2000@nycity.com.com> wrote in message news:R40He.13942$Y_1.4568@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Have to upgrade a 3.12 server. Already hav...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
We would like to upgrade our Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.5, and I am looking for a plan of attack. Attempts thus far have failed: We have 5.0 on a 38G drive partitioned into several volumes, with another 38G partitioned into a couple of volumes available for other data, and an unused 8G drive. Everything is backed up to tape. We use the server to run Groupwise, and the Netscape enterprise web server also. If I boot the 6.5CD from DOS, it will let me install a new 6.5 server. Not what I want. If I mount it in NW5.0, and use the GUI to install it, it fails with...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 migration
I was reading on the migration pdf file about migrating from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and one section states that the minimum requirement is Netware 5.0 and another section states Netware 5.1 with service pack 6. Along with different NDS versions and edir versions being supported. This migation would be an across the wire migration to new hardware. Any concrete minimum requirements would be great to have before an upgrade is done! Thanks the migration wizard 8 supports a nw5.0 to nw6.5 migration. http://www.novell.com/documentation/migwiz80/nmw_80/data/bswlrly.html ...

NetStorage on Netware 6.5 only salavage netware 6.5 files
Hello, Am I correct in understanding that NetStorage on Netware 6.5 Sp3 (oes) will only let you recover deleted files on Netware 6.5 servers? When I go to a Netware 6.0 server (I have 5 at sp4, and one at sp5), I am unable to get properties of a folder, outside of a little bit on file size. But, when I go to a netware 6.5 server (1 currently) I can get the tabs and everythign related to std file system info. Is the correct behaviour? I hope not, this is a nice tool, and would like to use it in place of local rights to admin data (helpdesk of 6) to use it. Thank You, Ca...

Netware 6.5 and netware 5.0
Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can I do this, and what is the best procedure ? Do I need to update the 5.0 servers (Patches, DS. nlms). I am not going to install Edirectory on the 5.0 servers - don't think I can anyway. Do I need to extend the schema on the existing 5.0 servers before introducing 6.5 servers and Edir 8.7 into this tree ? , > Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two > 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can ...

Netware 6.5 Licenses on Netware 5
Hi, We had the need to add 5 user licenses to our Netware 5 server. We knew these were no longer available but were informed that Netware 6.5 licenses are backwardly computable. We purchased an additional 5 Netware 6.5 user licenses and added them to our tree using NWadmin. I read in various forums that 6.5 user licenses aren't assigned to a server I left it at that. An hour later they were still not being used. It then occurred to me that Netware 5 may not be able to deal with unassigned licenses so I have assigned them to the correct server. Again having left it about an h...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
What are the minimum SP levels for 5.0 in order to install Netware 6.5 into a existing Netware 5.0 tree. I would patch NW50 to the latest SP. Then run the deployment manager from the NetWare 6.5 CD. It will give you an idea what will be needed on your current servers. Good Luck. <phil.bec@culture.gov.uk> wrote in message news:9tPVb.4154$6M5.1896@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > What are the minimum SP levels for 5.0 in order > to install Netware 6.5 into a existing Netware 5.0 tree. > Use the deployment manager to verify system levels. Also download the...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I am in the process of upgrading a Netware 5 server to a Netware 6.5 server and have a few questions: 1. I would like to run both the Netware 5 and Netware 6.5 server at the same time on the same network. (Is there a migration tool that will transfer the data only, having different file server names?) 2. By doing the above, and having the NDS replicate to the new Netware 6.5 server, does this cause any problems? (Eventually the Netware 5.0 server will be taken offline) 3. Is there any pdf file or technical docs on upgrading from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and what the issues might be?...

Netware 6 and netware 6.5 with USB
LS. In netware 6 and netware 6.5 is a USB harddisk supported? Dirk Dirk wrote: >In netware 6 and netware 6.5 is a USB harddisk supported? NetWare 6.0 : no NetWare 6.5 : yes Note that USB hard disk performance is rather disappointing under NetWare. -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8 ...

Web resources about - Microsoft Netware client with Netware 6.5? - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message