Login questions NW/WIN

Hi,

One question for you gurus out there.

I have two users using the same PC at different days.
They login with different Novell logins, but I would like them to share
the same desktop - that is the same windows login.

For one reason only - they need to use the same iFolder and to be able
to sync with the server the same iFolder store on the PC they must have
the same windows login otherwise iFolder won't login for one of them.

Might be that I'm asking a dumb question, but I haven't been able to
figure out how.

Is this possible?


Sincerely,

DB


-- 

0
D
6/18/2006 9:04:44 PM
novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp 10573 articles. 1 followers. Follow

2 Replies
253 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

"D.Bjorkstam" <dbjorkstam@nospam.fi> wrote:

> I have two users using the same PC at different days.
> They login with different Novell logins, but I would like them to share
> the same desktop - that is the same windows login.
> 
> For one reason only - they need to use the same iFolder and to be able
> to sync with the server the same iFolder store on the PC they must have
> the same windows login otherwise iFolder won't login for one of them.

I don't run with that configuration, but one approach that should meet
those goals is to use the "Enable single sign-on" checkbox in the
"Single Sign-On" tab of the Novell Client Properties.  What this does
on its own is attempt to save the Windows account password using
Novell Secret Store and then retrieves it later during a successful
NDS login.  It's really intended for cases where a password isn't
being used at all (e.g. smartcard or biometric login to NDS), but it
works completely independent of whether you're using passwords or not.

The next step would be to use the Location Profiles tab of the Novell
Client Properties, and go into the properties of the "Default"
location profile.  (Note you will have hit "Properties" twice to get
to the point where you're actually looking at a "fake" version of the
login dialog on which you can specify defaults.)  De-select the "Save
profile after successful login" checkbox, and then go to the "Windows"
tab and change the Windows username to whichever one you intend the
users to share.  You may also prefer to blank out the main/NDS
username field, since the login dialog is now going to come up every
time with exactly the defaults you're specifying.

Have each of the users login now in this configuration.  Note the
first time they will still be separately prompted to enter in the
correct password for the Windows account, but after having manually
entered it once, it should be retrieved automatically using the Single
Sign-On feature in the future.  Forgive me if I've overlooked some
detail in getting this configuration running; I'm just familiar with
"how it should work in theory".

Another way to achieve the same goal, if you have Novell ZENworks
Desktop Management, is to create a Dynamic Local User (DLU) policy for
these users that pre-defines exactly what Windows account they would
both login with, and uses "manage existing account" so that the
Windows account doesn't get deleted/re-created (which is probably your
intention).

Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)
0
Alan
6/19/2006 12:02:35 PM
Thanks

DB
-- 



Alan Adams wrote:

> "D.Bjorkstam" <dbjorkstam@nospam.fi> wrote:
> 
> > I have two users using the same PC at different days.
> > They login with different Novell logins, but I would like them to
> > share the same desktop - that is the same windows login.
> > 
> > For one reason only - they need to use the same iFolder and to be
> > able to sync with the server the same iFolder store on the PC they
> > must have the same windows login otherwise iFolder won't login for
> > one of them.
> 
> I don't run with that configuration, but one approach that should meet
> those goals is to use the "Enable single sign-on" checkbox in the
> "Single Sign-On" tab of the Novell Client Properties.  What this does
> on its own is attempt to save the Windows account password using
> Novell Secret Store and then retrieves it later during a successful
> NDS login.  It's really intended for cases where a password isn't
> being used at all (e.g. smartcard or biometric login to NDS), but it
> works completely independent of whether you're using passwords or not.
> 
> The next step would be to use the Location Profiles tab of the Novell
> Client Properties, and go into the properties of the "Default"
> location profile.  (Note you will have hit "Properties" twice to get
> to the point where you're actually looking at a "fake" version of the
> login dialog on which you can specify defaults.)  De-select the "Save
> profile after successful login" checkbox, and then go to the "Windows"
> tab and change the Windows username to whichever one you intend the
> users to share.  You may also prefer to blank out the main/NDS
> username field, since the login dialog is now going to come up every
> time with exactly the defaults you're specifying.
> 
> Have each of the users login now in this configuration.  Note the
> first time they will still be separately prompted to enter in the
> correct password for the Windows account, but after having manually
> entered it once, it should be retrieved automatically using the Single
> Sign-On feature in the future.  Forgive me if I've overlooked some
> detail in getting this configuration running; I'm just familiar with
> "how it should work in theory".
> 
> Another way to achieve the same goal, if you have Novell ZENworks
> Desktop Management, is to create a Dynamic Local User (DLU) policy for
> these users that pre-defines exactly what Windows account they would
> both login with, and uses "manage existing account" so that the
> Windows account doesn't get deleted/re-created (which is probably your
> intention).
> 
> Alan Adams
> alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
> (for email, remove the crumbs)
0
D
6/20/2006 5:59:29 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Problems with Netware login after Win XP SP3
This might be wrong forum, but probably not... We have recently deployed a new WS image and made the mistake to include XP SP3 in it - now the GPO setting "wait for network to initialize" apparently seems to have stopped working. Our environment is Netware 6.5, ZEN 7 SP1 w/ user and workstation policies, local profiles created by ZEN on first user login; Client is 4.91 SP4. ZEN 7 SP1 IR3 and the newer agent on the SP3 workstations didn't solve the problem, so I don't think it's a GPO problem. Have tried the image on two different PC models but both show t...

disab le the ability to cancel a login on Win XP pro with Netware Client
I am posing this question to the discussion group. How can we through Novell 5.1 with a Win XP 4.9 client require a login with a user name and password rather than establishing a BIOS password. Thank you in advance. Also is there a specific location where I would be able to acces this information? Gary Hawk H-L School Bascom, Ohio Gary, Since the Windows NT security model requires you to logon locally or via a domain you need to authenticate to a Windows account in addition to eDirectory(NDS). Its usually recommended to sync the account names and passwords between Wind...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Login to SAMBA from Win XP by login.cmd fails
Hi all, :: _BACKGROUND_ :: We use a login batch file (login.cmd) on XP and (one test) Vista workstations to Samba. Ex.: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ REM Remove all attachments net use * /del /yes REM Login to Samba using Windows Clients net use H: \\Server\Data\Documents net use I: \\Server\Data\Customers net use J: \\Server\Data\Suppliers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~�~ The older Samba "samba-3.0.20b-3.1" worked with this method the last four years without any problems. The Win users have the same login names and passwords on the workstation accounts an...

General Netwrok Setup Questions (Win XP and Win 98)
Allow me to apologize in advance if this is the wrong venue to post such a question, but this seemed to be the most general of them all. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out to make sure my network is secure. I checked with shields up and it didn't flag anything. I have computers running XP home and 98SE on my home network and connected to a D-Link router. I am networkingly challenged and have used Microsoft to set up my network 1. I use zonealarm on all computers and had to add the IP range from my router to my "trusted" list in order to be ab...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

To login or not to login... that is the question.
I seem to have a predicament. This may not be the appropriate forum to ask this question in, but I thought I would start here so please direct me otherwise if that is the case. Basic environment: NW6.5sp1 and NW5.1sp5 servers with a mix of eDir 8.7.3, 8.7.1 and 7.60c I have a user login problem in which an account with an expired password is able to log in with the expired password. It gets prompted to change the password, but if I say no to the prompt it just continues on its merry way as if there are no problems (i.e. login script, mapped drives). The password restrictions are...

Login to Netware on an XP machine
We have an XP machine with Windows XP SP1 installed, aswell Novell Client 4.90. Aswell as having the client installed on an XP machine you need to have a local XP account setup. This is not a very viable option as we run in a school and can not have over 1000 user accounts on every pc. After some research I have created just the 1 XP and have enabled AutoAdminLogon in the registry. The only problem now is that when the PC boots the Auto logon happens for the XP account and loads straight to the desktop with giving you the option to logon to the Netware system. The onl...

Problem with login and Win XP
I have a netware 5.1 and when I try to login with win98se all it's ok. Problem is when a number of users are login in the server (I can't determine number) with winXP novell client (4.83 and 4.90) I can login but can't map f:\ and z:\, but if you try with win98 all it's ok. If I shutdown a worstation, then WinXP can login and map correctly f: and z: What can I do? On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:37:36 GMT, asd@asd.com wrote: >I have a netware 5.1 and when I try to login with win98se all it's ok. > >Problem is when a number of users are login in the ser...

Win XP locks up at login intermittently
I have a client with a Dell laptop using Win XP Pro Novell Client 4.9 SP1a that Intermittently locks after typing the password and clicking OK to login. The laptop is used both at the main office and at a remote location. After locking up we reboot and manually select the tree, context and server and it logs in ok. It may login ok for several logins then locks up again. It seemed to be more frequent when moving the computer to and from the remote location and i was thinking there may be a power issue with the laptop. We have seen the problem at both locations and each time I am a...

Win XP hanging on explorer after login
We're testing WinXP for deployment in our law firm. The environment is NW6sp2, NW6sp3 and NW5.1sp5 servers. XP test machines are running the 4.9 client. We're getting an interrmitant hanging problem. Following login, every so often, the machine will hang (no icons). Ctrl-alt-del brings up the task manager. Typing "explorer" in the "new task" field, results in icons appearing and the machine proceeding to complete the boot process. This is happening on the 15 test machines we've deployed. We've contacted Microsoft, but a fix they s...

XP login with NW client option?
Hi, Want to have the default login XP, but when wanted a user could login to our NW server by right clicking the N-icon in the system tray. Is this possible? Sincerely, DB -- *************** Dominicus B architect Southern Finland Novell Newbe DominicusB wrote: > Hi, > > Want to have the default login XP, but when wanted a user could login > to our NW server by right clicking the N-icon in the system tray. > > Is this possible? > > > Sincerely, > > DB Yes. There's a setting "Initial Novell Login" under cl...

Login to Netware on an XP machine #2
We have an XP machine with Windows XP SP1 installed, aswell Novell Client 4.90. Aswell as having the client installed on an XP machine you need to have a local XP account setup. This is not a very viable option as we run in a school and can not have over 1000 user accounts on every pc. After some research I have created just the 1 XP and have enabled AutoAdminLogon in the registry. The only problem now is that when the PC boots the Auto logon happens for the XP account and loads straight to the desktop with giving you the option to logon to the Netware system. The onl...

extermely slow logins win xp
I have been investigating this problem for some time but have no solution. Server is NW6SPK4 and has no errors. Clients are windows xp spk2 with client 4.9 sp1 with zenworks 4b latest agent. Login times are excruciatingly slow. Like 3 minutes Zenworks pushes a Windows Group Policy Object to the students desktop which limits their access as users - there are no computer settings. And we use Dynamic User Login. The symptom is user puts name and password on login screen presses OK and the workstation stays right there for 3 minutes - with the local drive seeking and...

Web resources about - Login questions NW/WIN - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

German question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Kleindeutschland" redirects here. For the neighborhood in New York City, see Little Germany, Manhattan . 1820 map of Central Europe showing ...

Submit your questions for Autoblog Podcast #460
Filed under: Podcasts We're recording Autoblog Podcast #460 this week, and our main focus will be answering our listeners' questions. Submit ...

If you want to work for Airbnb, get ready to answer these 27 ridiculous interview questions
Airbnb is the third-most valuable private tech company in the world — it has a $25.5 billion valuation . If you want to work there, you might ...

Review: Ten Economic Questions for 2015
At the end of each year, I post Ten Economic Questions for the coming year. I followed up with a brief post on each question. The goal was to ...

Questions raised about San Bernardino shooter's visa
Chair of House Judiciary Committee says immigration officials had insufficient evidence to issue Tashfeen Malik a visa to enter the U.S.

“R. Kelly walked out of a HuffPo interview after some awkward questions” links
R. Kelly walked out of HuffPo interview after being asked some awkward questions about his fans’ reactions to his sexual assault of minors. [Dlisted] ...

Where's Conservative Outrage Over Hugh Hewitt's Questions To Ben Carson?
One of the biggest tools the conservative punditry uses to make itself look like underdogs is to complain that the librul media is out to get ...

Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump
Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump

David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease
David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease

The Christmas Question: Xbox One Or PS4?
It may be a bit late in the game to be mapping out Christmas presents, but for those last minute shoppers out there, I wanted to discuss one ...

Resources last updated: 12/24/2015 7:52:52 PM