Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11

On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem
logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and
type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything
works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other
works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a
time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are
blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone
knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
0
Lars

On 3/30/2005  Lars.Pfau@pfau-modelle.de wrote:

> But when I walk away from the computer or doing other
> works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a
> time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are
> blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server.

Go into Device Manager and select your NIC, click on Power Management
tab and disable the 'turn off this device to save power'.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
On 3/31/2005  Lars.Pfau@pfau-modelle.de wrote:

> The power-saving-option is now disabled, but the effect is the same. If
> the login-screen is shown about 20 sec. a login is not possible

Please post the output from typing IPXROUTE CONFIG at the workstation
and CONFIG (not LOAD CONFIG) at the server console.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
3/31/2005 12:28:20 PM
Following the massages from the workstation and the server:

NWLink IPX-Routing- und Quellrouting-Steuerungsprogramm v2.00

Num  Name                      Netzwerk   Knoten         Rahmen
1.   IpxLoopbackAdapter        00000001   000b6aa9d337   [802.2]
2.   LAN-Verbindung            00000001   000b6aa9d337   [802.3]
3.   NDISWANIPX                00000000   526b20524153   [EthII] -

Legende
=======
- inaktive WAN-Leitung

Server:
=======
Server-Name: PFAU
Interne IPX-Netzwerknummer: 08072000
     Knotenadresse: 000000000001
     Rahmentyp: VIRTUAL_LAN
     LAN-Protokoll: IPX Netzwerk 08072000
Server-Betriebszeit: 85 Tage 19 Stunden 16 Minuten 29 Sekunden

Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10 LAN Adapter
     Version 3.07    1 Juli 1996
     Hardware-Einstellung: E/A Schnittstellen 300h bis 30Fh, Interrupt 5h
     Knotenadresse: 00AA004FECD5
     Rahmentyp: ETHERNET_802.3
     Kartenname: EPRO_1_E83
     LAN-Protokoll: IPX Netzwerk 00000001

Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10 LAN Adapter
     Version 3.07    1 Juli 1996
     Hardware-Einstellung: E/A Schnittstellen 300h bis 30Fh, Interrupt 5h
     Knotenadresse: 00AA004FECD5
     Rahmentyp: ETHERNET_II
     Kartenname: EPRO_1_EII
     LAN-Protokoll: ARP
     LAN-Protokoll: IP Adresse 192.168.0.1 Maske FF.FF.FF.0
Schnittstellen 1

Tree Name: PFAU
Bindery Context(s):
     Pfau

I hope this german messages are understandable.

Best regards,
0
Lars
3/31/2005 2:27:18 PM
Looks good. 802.3 frame type ? Yikes. Well, something is running disabling your
network connection after some inactivity. Also, I don't recommend using XP Home
for NetWare nor Microsoft  networking. XP Pro is the OS of choice here.

If you connect 'Workstation Only' and browse Network Connections, can you see
the server then ?
How many other devices are in this network ?

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
4/1/2005 12:55:50 AM
If I connect as "workstation only" the browser shows an item "Novell
Connections" but it�s empty. If I connect complete the item "Novell
Connections" shows twice (!) the server and the workgroup. And an
additional item called "Total Network" with the points "Microsoft Windows
Network" and "Novell Services" is shown.

In the net we have 1 Server, 2 DOS-Clients, 3 Win95-Clients, 3 Win98-
Clients, 1 XP-Home-Client (the problem) and a hardware-router. Connected
over a hub (Coax-Cabel) and a switch (TP-Cabel).

0
Lars
4/1/2005 7:40:52 AM
On 4/1/2005  Lars.Pfau@pfau-modelle.de wrote:

> If I connect as "workstation only" the browser shows an item "Novell
> Connections" but it4s empty. If I connect complete the item "Novell
> Connections" shows twice (!) the server and the workgroup. And an
> additional item called "Total Network" with the points "Microsoft Windows
> Network" and "Novell Services" is shown.
>
> In the net we have 1 Server, 2 DOS-Clients, 3 Win95-Clients, 3 Win98-
> Clients, 1 XP-Home-Client (the problem) and a hardware-router. Connected
> over a hub (Coax-Cabel) and a switch (TP-Cabel).

Are you only having problems with connection to the NetWare server ? In other
words, are you connecting to the internet - for instance - when the connection
to the NetWare server fails ?

Did you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' ? Using default
installation the Client will be installed with IP and IPX support for Novell
and it can cause weird problems. Also, v4.91 is not the recommended Client for
NetWare4.x - I suggest installing v4.82 which can be found here
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html and then apply the SP3
patch found here
http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/nc483sp3.exe/
--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
4/1/2005 12:36:20 PM
> On 4/1/2005  Lars.Pfau@pfau-modelle.de wrote:
>
> > If I connect as "workstation only" the browser shows an item "Novell
> > Connections" but it4s empty. If I connect complete the item "Novell
> > Connections" shows twice (!) the server and the workgroup. And an
> > additional item called "Total Network" with the points "Microsoft
Windows
> > Network" and "Novell Services" is shown.
> >
> > In the net we have 1 Server, 2 DOS-Clients, 3 Win95-Clients, 3 Win98-
> > Clients, 1 XP-Home-Client (the problem) and a hardware-router.
Connected
> > over a hub (Coax-Cabel) and a switch (TP-Cabel).
>
> Are you only having problems with connection to the NetWare server ? In
other
> words, are you connecting to the internet - for instance - when the
connection
> to the NetWare server fails ?
>
> Did you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' ? Using
default
> installation the Client will be installed with IP and IPX support for
Novell
> and it can cause weird problems. Also, v4.91 is not the recommended
Client for
> NetWare4.x - I suggest installing v4.82 which can be found here
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html and then apply the
SP3
> patch found here
> http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/nc483sp3.exe/
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

I don�t know what�s going on in my computer. After your last posting, I
tried the Version 4.83 Client which works good. Then I tried the Version
4.91 Enlish because a few year ago I had a problem with the german
version of a novell client (a non-working dll) and the english version
was good. The English Version let log me in also after a time of
inactivity. Then I tried the german version once again and now it also
works right. I don�t know what has changed through this installation
procedures. Thanks a lot for your hints.
0
Lars
4/3/2005 5:01:27 PM
On 4/3/2005  Lars.Pfau@pfau-modelle.de wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your hints.

Glad to help.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP and Netware 4.11 / NWADMIN does not start
Hello. I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32). NWADMN95 works. NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32) still works from an old W2K client. I tried the W2K compatability mode, but not success. No error message, just nothing happens after doubleclick on NWADMIN32. Thanks for help, Michael Michael, > I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were > W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start N...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

netware 4.11 and client 4.91
Can I use the 4.91 client on xp pro workstations connected to a NW 4.11 server? We've just deployed a bunch of new winxp pro computers, and are starting to get complaints that after logging in, all the novell network drives are missing. Subsequent logons (after several) seems to fix the problem at least for a little bit. Or maybe there's another solution? (Upgrading does not count, sorry!) Thanks. wh@photosourcefolio.com wrote: > Can I use the 4.91 client on xp pro workstations connected to a NW 4.11 > server? Not recommended. Best to use v4.83 SP2 whi...

Netware 4.0 Compatibility with Client 4.9 on XP
My server is running NetWare 4.0 and all of my Windows 98 workstations (running client 3.32) are able to login perfectly fine. I just got a new P4 Windows XP workstation though and installed the XP client 4.9 sp2, and that one will not login at all, it doesn't even show the tress or server in the advanced tab. Does anyone know how this could be corrected? Make sure to run the installation with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' options. Also, v4.9 is not the recommended client for NetWare4.x - you should uninstall it and install this client: http://www.novell.com/coolsol...

Need XP Client for Netware 4.11
I have looked everywhere for a client that will work with XP and Netware 4.11. I am setting up a test lab so I can run XP with our 4.11 server and I am new to Novell for the most part. Can you tell me where/what/how to find this client. Thanks, Craig Dynic USA The most recent one is v4.9, however for NetWare4.x - I recommend this one http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1764.html Please apply SP3 once installed at: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968055.htm -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Terminal serivices, Netware client 4.91.4, and login issue
Hello there, Back in April we were having problems logging in to Novell through a Terminal services session on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server. At the time it was recommended we update both the Novell Client(Now 4.91.4) and the terminal services client. For a while that seemed to resolve the login issue. However, now it has returned. I ran packet traces using WireShark and found that NMAS is returning a -1642 Login Failed message when the client contacts our GroupWise server (Our sole SLES 9 OES1 We have applied all patches from the channel and all service packs) to process ...

Netware Client 4.91 SP4 on XP 64
--____TCEKHTYIECUIBJNOODNZ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Mon, 29 Jul 2007 06:28:00 +0200" Novell newly declares (in Readme), that 4.91SP4 client can run on 64-bit = client, but it is not supported. I am trying to install (even as = non-suported software), but installer ends with error message,that the = software is only for 32-bit Windows. Are there any workaround, how to = install SP4 on x64? David Konicek --____TCEKHTYIECUIBJNOODNZ____ Content-Type: mul...

Problem with Netware 4.11 with XP and 2000 proff
total structure... i have 1 novell netware 4.11 server where i am saving all files. i am having some xp,win98,win2000 clients that is having Microsoft client for Netware installed with IPX/SPX. at the client side i have installed TCP/IP too to communicate with NT server. problem... when i am copying any file from client end to the netware share the client system is restarting. this problem is only occures to xp and some 2000 proff clients. and when i am copying files from the same Xp to any other systems share, it works fine. can you please help me. , > i am having some...

Client 4.90 SP1a and Netware 4.11
We are in the process of replacing our old Win98(Client 32)pcs with new units running Windows XP Pro using Netware client 4.90.0 SP1a. If a user takes more than about 15 seconds to type in his/her password the workstation locks(freezes)with a Novell logo and requires a re-boot. If the user logs in just a few seconds there is no hang. Is there some timer setting somewhere in the client which we can disable, or lengthen the time. The server is an old 4.11 server (which will be upgraded in a few months) Sjanis, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a ...

Web resources about - Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11 - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp