Listing Novell client settings; delay in accessing networked servers after installing Novell Client 4.90 SP2

First off, let me confess that I know next to nothing about Netware or
the Novell client.  Dangerous, I realize.

My office has several XP Pro machines running the Novell client.  We are
accessing primarily Novell file servers, though I think there are some
Windows file servers too.

In anticipation of the Windows XP SP2 upgrade, Novell Client 4.90 SP2 was
installed on my machine.  Prior to that, I had the previous version of
the client (4.83, SP3 I think).

With the previous version of the client, there were initially delays--
typically about 8 seconds--when connecting to file servers:  e.g., in
Windows Explorer or an application dialogue box, when trying to access a
particular mapped drive in order to open or save a file.  Not every
access--but initial access attempts after a period of inactivity.  My
recollection is that this occured even after the install of the client
service pack that was supposed to fix it.  Being the impatient and bad
network citizen that I am, I went into the client properties and started
monkeying around with them.  I can't say that my "adjustments" worked,
but for whatever reasons, the behavior improved.  No more delays.

Now with 4.90 SP2 installed, I'm back where I started--long delays in
initial attempts to access a server (via a mapped drive) after a period
of inactivity (no access attempts to the server).  Happens with our
Outlook server too, by the way.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to remember what I did to the settings and,
of course, I didn't keep a record.

I could just start monkeying around again and hope for the best, but I do
have some consideration for our Novell administrator and our departmental
desktop coordinator--as well as my own life. So two questions: (1) Does
anyone have any magical cures for this delay problem?  (2) Assuming the
answer to that is No, then my next question is whether there is any way
to save or print a record of the Novell client settings so, rather than
monkeying around in a completely aimless fashion, I can at least keep
track of the changes I make and have my monkeying around be a bit more
like a controlled experiment.

Thanks.
0
Brook_Moles

What NIC are you running?
Paul

<Brook_Moles@brown.edu> wrote in message
> First off, let me confess that I know next to nothing about Netware or
> the Novell client.  Dangerous, I realize.
>
> My office has several XP Pro machines running the Novell client.  We are
> accessing primarily Novell file servers, though I think there are some
> Windows file servers too.
>
> In anticipation of the Windows XP SP2 upgrade, Novell Client 4.90 SP2 was
> installed on my machine.  Prior to that, I had the previous version of
> the client (4.83, SP3 I think).
>
> With the previous version of the client, there were initially delays--
> typically about 8 seconds--when connecting to file servers:  e.g., in
> Windows Explorer or an application dialogue box, when trying to access a
> particular mapped drive in order to open or save a file.  Not every
> access--but initial access attempts after a period of inactivity.  My
> recollection is that this occured even after the install of the client
> service pack that was supposed to fix it.  Being the impatient and bad
> network citizen that I am, I went into the client properties and started
> monkeying around with them.  I can't say that my "adjustments" worked,
> but for whatever reasons, the behavior improved.  No more delays.
>
> Now with 4.90 SP2 installed, I'm back where I started--long delays in
> initial attempts to access a server (via a mapped drive) after a period
> of inactivity (no access attempts to the server).  Happens with our
> Outlook server too, by the way.
>
> I'm not knowledgeable enough to remember what I did to the settings and,
> of course, I didn't keep a record.
>
> I could just start monkeying around again and hope for the best, but I do
> have some consideration for our Novell administrator and our departmental
> desktop coordinator--as well as my own life. So two questions: (1) Does
> anyone have any magical cures for this delay problem?  (2) Assuming the
> answer to that is No, then my next question is whether there is any way
> to save or print a record of the Novell client settings so, rather than
> monkeying around in a completely aimless fashion, I can at least keep
> track of the changes I make and have my monkeying around be a bit more
> like a controlled experiment.
>
> Thanks.

0
Paul
8/31/2004 2:24:31 PM
> First off, let me confess that I know next to nothing about Netware or
> the Novell client.  Dangerous, I realize.
>
> My office has several XP Pro machines running the Novell client.  We
are
> accessing primarily Novell file servers, though I think there are some
> Windows file servers too.
>
> In anticipation of the Windows XP SP2 upgrade, Novell Client 4.90 SP2
was
> installed on my machine.  Prior to that, I had the previous version of
> the client (4.83, SP3 I think).
>
> With the previous version of the client, there were initially delays--
> typically about 8 seconds--when connecting to file servers:  e.g., in
> Windows Explorer or an application dialogue box, when trying to access
> particular mapped drive in order to open or save a file.  Not every
> access--but initial access attempts after a period of inactivity.  My
> recollection is that this occured even after the install of the client
> service pack that was supposed to fix it.  Being the impatient and bad
> network citizen that I am, I went into the client properties and
started
> monkeying around with them.  I can't say that my "adjustments" worked,
> but for whatever reasons, the behavior improved.  No more delays.
>
> Now with 4.90 SP2 installed, I'm back where I started--long delays in
> initial attempts to access a server (via a mapped drive) after a period
> of inactivity (no access attempts to the server).  Happens with our
> Outlook server too, by the way.
>
> I'm not knowledgeable enough to remember what I did to the settings
and,
> of course, I didn't keep a record.
>
> I could just start monkeying around again and hope for the best, but I
do
> have some consideration for our Novell administrator and our
departmental
> desktop coordinator--as well as my own life. So two questions: (1) Does
> anyone have any magical cures for this delay problem?  (2) Assuming the
> answer to that is No, then my next question is whether there is any way
> to save or print a record of the Novell client settings so, rather than
> monkeying around in a completely aimless fashion, I can at least keep
> track of the changes I make and have my monkeying around be a bit more
> like a controlled experiment.
>
> Thanks.

I am having the sam problem at our site!  If anyone has an answer for
this problem PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!
0
job_robc
8/31/2004 2:29:06 PM
Does this sound right:

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection?

> What NIC are you running?
> Paul

0
Brook_Moles
8/31/2004 2:46:17 PM
Sure does.  Haven't run into any probs w/ intel cards..  Most of our issues
are broadcom chipset related.   Check to see if your switches use
spanning-tree protocol, and if so, check to see if your port has portfast
enabled.... hth

> Does this sound right:
>
> Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection?
>
> > What NIC are you running?
> > Paul

0
Paul
8/31/2004 3:28:22 PM
Brook_Moles,

The three tweaks that generally make the most significant difference are:

1) Drop the name resolution timeout to 1-2 seconds from the default 10:
In the client properties, Advanced Settings, Name Resolution timeout.

2) Remove any name resolvers you don't require - assuming you're running
IP only, that will generally be just SLP and NDS. In Client properties,
Protocol Preferences, under the "Protocol Preferences Settings" unselect
DNS and HOSTS.

3) Remove the 2K/XP remote tasks. In regedit delete the key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
8/31/2004 9:47:24 PM
job_robc,

> I am having the sam problem at our site!  If anyone has an answer for
> this problem PLEASE let me know!

See my reply elsewhere in this thread.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
8/31/2004 9:48:17 PM
Hi Hamish,

Can you explain why removing the 2K/XP remote tasks helps out?  I'd just
like to know for my own info, :)

Thanks,
Paul

"Hamish" <Hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
> Brook_Moles,
>
> The three tweaks that generally make the most significant difference are:
>
> 1) Drop the name resolution timeout to 1-2 seconds from the default 10:
> In the client properties, Advanced Settings, Name Resolution timeout.
>
> 2) Remove any name resolvers you don't require - assuming you're running
> IP only, that will generally be just SLP and NDS. In Client properties,
> Protocol Preferences, under the "Protocol Preferences Settings" unselect
> DNS and HOSTS.
>
> 3) Remove the 2K/XP remote tasks. In regedit delete the key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameS
pace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)

0
Paul
9/1/2004 12:18:46 PM
Moving Netware Services to the top of the Network Providers list should
help. Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Advanced menu ->
Advanced Settings -> Provider Order tab. Move Netware Services to the top of
the list & reboot.

Scott

<Brook_Moles@brown.edu> wrote in message
> First off, let me confess that I know next to nothing about Netware or
> the Novell client.  Dangerous, I realize.
>
> My office has several XP Pro machines running the Novell client.  We are
> accessing primarily Novell file servers, though I think there are some
> Windows file servers too.
>
> In anticipation of the Windows XP SP2 upgrade, Novell Client 4.90 SP2 was
> installed on my machine.  Prior to that, I had the previous version of
> the client (4.83, SP3 I think).
>
> With the previous version of the client, there were initially delays--
> typically about 8 seconds--when connecting to file servers:  e.g., in
> Windows Explorer or an application dialogue box, when trying to access a
> particular mapped drive in order to open or save a file.  Not every
> access--but initial access attempts after a period of inactivity.  My
> recollection is that this occured even after the install of the client
> service pack that was supposed to fix it.  Being the impatient and bad
> network citizen that I am, I went into the client properties and started
> monkeying around with them.  I can't say that my "adjustments" worked,
> but for whatever reasons, the behavior improved.  No more delays.
>
> Now with 4.90 SP2 installed, I'm back where I started--long delays in
> initial attempts to access a server (via a mapped drive) after a period
> of inactivity (no access attempts to the server).  Happens with our
> Outlook server too, by the way.
>
> I'm not knowledgeable enough to remember what I did to the settings and,
> of course, I didn't keep a record.
>
> I could just start monkeying around again and hope for the best, but I do
> have some consideration for our Novell administrator and our departmental
> desktop coordinator--as well as my own life. So two questions: (1) Does
> anyone have any magical cures for this delay problem?  (2) Assuming the
> answer to that is No, then my next question is whether there is any way
> to save or print a record of the Novell client settings so, rather than
> monkeying around in a completely aimless fashion, I can at least keep
> track of the changes I make and have my monkeying around be a bit more
> like a controlled experiment.
>
> Thanks.

0
Scott
9/1/2004 3:37:21 PM
Paul,

> Can you explain why removing the 2K/XP remote tasks helps out?  I'd just
> like to know for my own info, :)

In microsofts own words:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q245/8/00.asp

But the problem exists when accessing any resource other than W2K/XP.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
9/1/2004 10:14:36 PM
Cool, thanks.   Paul

> Paul,
>
> > Can you explain why removing the 2K/XP remote tasks helps out?  I'd just
> > like to know for my own info, :)
>
> In microsofts own words:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q245/8/00.asp
>
> But the problem exists when accessing any resource other than W2K/XP.
>

> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)

0
Paul
9/2/2004 11:46:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Scott Thacher works in the same building as me and came to my rescue when
he saw my post.  I can report that his fix has helped enormously.

- Brook
0
Brook_Moles

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

Client 4.90 sp2 and XP sp2
I have a few XP workstations with sp2 and the firewall set to "on". A few of my workstations are having problems with seeing the NDS tree. They will be able to login in but after a minute when windows loads everything - they are not able to access anything on the novell network. We can see the mapped drives but as soon as we click on it - it says it is not available. We try to login again and we will receive an error message that it cannot find the tree when we click on the context. This will happen intermittenly and can kick them off at any moment. It only happ...

Netware Client 4.90 SP for Win XP with SP2 Sleep mode
I have gateway 200xl with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP SP2 with Novell Client 4.90 SP2 English on Windows NT/2000/XP (English) installed connected to the NW 5.1 on dell server. Problem: When screen saver kicks inn user can login into workstation but cant even find my server. Is it neware problem or hardware problem with network card? Can you guide me? Thanks Joe, Could be a name resolution issue. Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare names over IP? Any additional components of the Novell Client installed (ie. ZFD agents, NMAS, NetIdentity, etc.)? Is the Novell Client instal...

Client 4.90 SP2 (update D) VS Beta client 4.91
Hi, I have problems opening/closing the same Ms Access database many times in a row. My workstation have WIN XP SP1 and Client 4.90 SP2 Once trying to install beta client 4.91, the problem disappear. (With client 4.83 SP1, the problem isn't present neither..) Anyone know what's the difference with Ms Access file handling between those two client version? Client 4.90 SP2 is validate in our environment for ZFd, IDM2 password synchronization...so I don't really want to upgrade all my clients! Does anyone know a good fix? Regards, Maurice file Caching enable...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

NetWare Client 4.90 SP2
Hi, with NetWare Client 4.83 SP3 on WinNT SP6 I have no problems with fieles named for example test.001.pdf (two dots in the name). After upgrading to NetWare Client 4.90 SP2 I'm not able to see this files on the novell server. I have no additional patches implemented after SP2. The Novell Server is 5.10 with SP7. Thanks for any reply. markus_herbert, What post-SP2 updates did you apply to 4.90? What protocols are bound to the client? Is the NetWare file system NSS or traditional? File caching, op-locking, or compression enabled? -- Tony Pedretti TransUnion Corpor...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

Using VPN client then netware client to access file server
Hi, I have one customer site functioning well. Using Cisco VPN client then login via 4.83 sp2 client. Now when attempting to use above method I receive Tree not found. We have 5.x servers. I don't really understand the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? Any comments or suggestions or pointing to documentation would be greatly appreciated. Bruce Childers St OR 503-373-1993x244 bruce.childers@state.or.us > I don't really understand > the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? SAP is IPX. ARP is NetBIOS. NetWare uses SLP (mainly) as well as Host...

4.90 SP2 Client Slowdown in XP
I use a university supplied laptop that has the Novell client installed on it. I've come to the conclusion that if my laptop is not able to log on to the Novell network successfully, programs load much slower than usual than if it was properly logged onto the network. This is a hassle, especially when I take the laptop home and connect it to my network (I do check the "Workstation Only" box to by-pass the login, but the slowdown still occurs). Try This - This prevents the client from resolving drive letters as server names. ( Windows issue - Client workaround) A...

Seraching for 4.90 SP2 XP Client
I know the 4.90 SP2 XP Client is no longer supported but can I find a copy on the Novell site? Thanks. Download: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/ftf/nc49sp2.exe Info: http://support.novell.com/docs/Readmes/InfoDocument/2969181.html Regards Rolf Lidvall Swedish Radio (Ltd) eplester@syr.edu wrote: > I know the 4.90 SP2 XP Client is no longer supported but > can I find a copy on the Novell site? Thanks. English and non-English versions of the full Novell Client 4.90 with SP2 installation set can be found here: Novell Client v4.9 SP2 for Wind...

Client 4.90 sp2 #4
> I forgot to put a message in, so I posted a new message. Sorry Keith, >>I forgot to put a message in, so I posted a new message. No problem - been there, done that. -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. http://haitch.net (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will probably be ignored) ...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

Client 4.90SP2 vs. Microsoft's XP Netware Client
We run a database program that is having problems with the Netware client. Data corruption and performance are a problem. So, I tested the Microsoft Netware client vs. the Novell client and I am getting much better performnace from the Microsoft client. The Micorsoft client is 60 times faster during a 'post data' function. This translates from 15 seconds for Microsoft to 15 minutes for Novell! Is there anything I can do to speed up the Novell Client? Jerry Gunn Metamora High School Well, since you apparently need only IPX support (you didn't note which ver...

Web resources about - Listing Novell client settings; delay in accessing networked servers after installing Novell Client 4.90 SP2 - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper