LDAP Contextless login and Relative Distinguished Names (RDN) login

Is it possible to have BOTH LDAP Contextless login AND RDN login available
AT THE SAME TIME? I'm asking because I would like to use contextless login
but it would generate far less helpdesk call if I could still retain RDN
login. When I tried it, it gave an LDAP error when I entered a RDN (ie,
sylvain.adm instead of just sylvain) using the NW4.9SP1 client on Windows
XP. Thanks.

0
Sylvain

Not to my knowledge; only the "common name" portion goes into the
"Username:" field and the actual context of that object goes into the
"Context:" field.

For the record, which part aids in reducing the help desk calls?  The
fact that the user can see in the "Username:" field which user they're
about to login with, or does having the RDN in the "Username:" field
aid in avoiding some other technical problem?

"Sylvain Gagnon" <sylvain@lacitec.on.ca> wrote:

> Is it possible to have BOTH LDAP Contextless login AND RDN login available
> AT THE SAME TIME? I'm asking because I would like to use contextless login
> but it would generate far less helpdesk call if I could still retain RDN
> login. When I tried it, it gave an LDAP error when I entered a RDN (ie,
> sylvain.adm instead of just sylvain) using the NW4.9SP1 client on Windows
> XP. Thanks.

Alan Adams, MCNE
0
Alan
8/22/2004 4:31:34 PM
Being able to login reduces the help desk calls ;-)

Currently, we have Aviat.LaCiteC in the context field. That way, students
enter {userID}.Etu and teacher enters {teacherID}.Adm when login on which
then becomes {userID}.Etu.Aviat.LaCiteC and {teacherID}.Adm.Aviat.LaCiteC
respectively.

With LDAP Contextless login enabled, when a returning students types in
{userID}.Etu, he'll be greeted with an LDAP error (samething for staff of
course). Guess what he'll do after a few futile attempts ;-)

"Alan Adams" <address@withheld.com> wrote in message
> Not to my knowledge; only the "common name" portion goes into the
> "Username:" field and the actual context of that object goes into the
> "Context:" field.
>
> For the record, which part aids in reducing the help desk calls?  The
> fact that the user can see in the "Username:" field which user they're
> about to login with, or does having the RDN in the "Username:" field
> aid in avoiding some other technical problem?
>
> "Sylvain Gagnon" <sylvain@lacitec.on.ca> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have BOTH LDAP Contextless login AND RDN login
>> available
>> AT THE SAME TIME? I'm asking because I would like to use contextless
>> login
>> but it would generate far less helpdesk call if I could still retain RDN
>> login. When I tried it, it gave an LDAP error when I entered a RDN (ie,
>> sylvain.adm instead of just sylvain) using the NW4.9SP1 client on Windows
>> XP. Thanks.
>>

> Alan Adams, MCNE

0
Sylvain
8/23/2004 6:07:40 PM
Ah, I see.  Yes, it would at least be nice for the LDAP Contextless
login to either silently bail on an RDN or do something like it does
for mirroring the name over to the "Windows" tab and just strip off
the partial context and perform the LDAP lookup using just the common
name portion.

I guess I can see that they're "doing a lookup with what was entered",
but you're right that is never going to work and is somewhat easily
detectable.

Convinces me. :)  Off to http://support.novell.com/enhancement/...

"Sylvain Gagnon" <sylvain@lacitec.on.ca> wrote:

> Being able to login reduces the help desk calls ;-)
>
> Currently, we have Aviat.LaCiteC in the context field. That way, students
> enter {userID}.Etu and teacher enters {teacherID}.Adm when login on which
> then becomes {userID}.Etu.Aviat.LaCiteC and {teacherID}.Adm.Aviat.LaCiteC
> respectively.
>
> With LDAP Contextless login enabled, when a returning students types in
> {userID}.Etu, he'll be greeted with an LDAP error (samething for staff of
> course). Guess what he'll do after a few futile attempts ;-)

Alan Adams, MCNE
0
Alan
8/23/2004 8:29:27 PM
Just did :-) Hopefully, there is someone at the 'other end of the line'...

> Ah, I see.  Yes, it would at least be nice for the LDAP Contextless
> login to either silently bail on an RDN or do something like it does
> for mirroring the name over to the "Windows" tab and just strip off
> the partial context and perform the LDAP lookup using just the common
> name portion.
>
> I guess I can see that they're "doing a lookup with what was entered",
> but you're right that is never going to work and is somewhat easily
> detectable.
>
> Convinces me. :)  Off to http://support.novell.com/enhancement/...
>
> "Sylvain Gagnon" <sylvain@lacitec.on.ca> wrote:
>
>> Being able to login reduces the help desk calls ;-)
>>
>> Currently, we have Aviat.LaCiteC in the context field. That way, students
>> enter {userID}.Etu and teacher enters {teacherID}.Adm when login on which
>> then becomes {userID}.Etu.Aviat.LaCiteC and {teacherID}.Adm.Aviat.LaCiteC
>> respectively.
>>
>> With LDAP Contextless login enabled, when a returning students types in
>> {userID}.Etu, he'll be greeted with an LDAP error (samething for staff of
>> course). Guess what he'll do after a few futile attempts ;-)
>
> Alan Adams, MCNE

0
Sylvain

Slow login with LDAP Contextless login enabled
Hi all, Has anyone run into the problem were users take over a minute to login? If the user does a logout and then login again without restarting the machine it takes 10 seconds. So the problem is only when the computer is restarted. If I disable the LDAP Contextless login in NWClient 4.92Sp2 the login takes 10 seconds and the problem is gone... The environment is NW6.5 SP6 ( I know, we will upgrade to SP8 as soon as possible :-) eDir is 8.7.3.9 and will also be upgraded asap. ZfD 4.00.1135 -- Bengtb --------------------------------------------------------------...

LDAP contextless login
Hi... According to : http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10088798.htm I�m not able to use DNS names in my contextless configuration... But I tried it, and it works with Netware 6.5 and Client 4.9 sp2. Is is supported now or? Best regards Tue N�rgaard Tue N�rgaard wrote: > Hi... > > According to : > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10088798.htm I�m not > able to use DNS names in my contextless configuration... > > But I tried it, and it works with Netware 6.5 and Client 4.9 sp2. > > Is is ...

2x 'Incorrect login count', for each login attempt through LDAP
We are running eDirectory 8.7.3 on NetWare 6.5SP2, and use LDAP for authentication between a number of applications (Apache, Tomcat, etc) and eDir. Whenever someone enters a wrong password, while trying to authenticate to one of the LDAP dependant applications, the 'Incorrect login count' increases by 2 instead of 1 though. So, instead of seeing 1->2->3->Account Locked in C1, we are seeing 2->4->Account Locked. Needless to say, our users are wondering why they only get 3 tries online, when they get 4 trying to log onto their workstations(and it isn't...

LDAP Contextless login and 802.1X WLAN login with Aegis client
Hi. Is there any solution to the problem stated in subject? LDAP contextless logins can not work in a 802.1X WLAN solution since the client does NOT have network access until after it has logged in. Currently we disable LDAP contextless logins and "Workstation Only" flag for workstations that need WLAN access, is there any better way of doing this? /anders Anders Westerberg wrote: > Is there any solution to the problem stated in subject? LDAP contextless > logins can not work in a 802.1X WLAN solution since the client does NOT > have network access until af...

Setting up LDAP Contextless Login with DNS names...
Is it possible to use DNS names in the servers field when setting up LDAP contextless login? When I use the DNS name of the LDAP server in the LDAP Contextless Login settings, and the workstation boots and comes up to the login screen, it does not find the LDAP server. It appears that either Windows or the Novell client is not resolving the DNS name properly. No LDAP Bind is ever logged on the server. If I use the IP address of the LDAP server instead of the DNS name, the lookup works perfectly. Any help would be appreciated! John Walls Technology and Network Services Mana...

Windows login before NetWare login
I have one W2K Workstation after it is booted the Microsoft login Window appears first before the NetWare login! The user can not tell me how it happend. The workstation has W2K SP4 and Novell Client 4.90 SP2 installed. I can not find a parameter in the Novell-Client which causes this. I'm gratefully looking forward to somebodys help. Ingo Kubach ingo.kubach@murrelektronik.de wrote: > I have one W2K Workstation after it is booted the Microsoft login Window > appears first before the NetWare login! The user can not tell me how it > happend. The workstation has W...

Login Name and Login controls
Hi I selected the Login Name and Login controls from the login toolbox and placed them in my webform. Where I run the application, the Login Name shows my windows login name. Where do I change the code so that it reflects the webapplication login details. The login control does not do anything when I click on it.Thanks. hi, At first you have to configure your website to use this controls. I suggest to go to this Address in your Visual Studio: website >  Asp.net Cofiguration. then  in asp.net web site administaration tool page  select security tab and click on this ...

netware login after windows login?
Hi all, I want to login into netware after the user has logged in into windows. I also want to be able to logout from novell without leaving the windows session (win2K, XP). Is that possible? Do I need special tools in order to do that or is it sufficient to install novell client software? Is it possible not only to login but also to run the novell login script? Thanks a lot in advance Stefan Stefan, > I want to login into netware after the user has logged in into > windows. In regedit.exe goto: HKLM\software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon ...

LDAP Disabling anonymous binds stops Netware client from doing contextless login
Edirectory 8.7.3.3 Netware Client 4.9.0 SP2 Proxy_User has been created with blank password. I have been instructed by our auditors to disable anonymous binds on the LDAP server object. When I do this the LDAP contextless login feature of the Netware client stops working. I've been reading the documentation and tids on ldap and feel as if I'm going in circles... :) Can someone lend a hand, or point me to a good, complete document that discusses LDAP configuration, security, requirements, etc? Thanks in advance. Cheryl Fischer Cheryl Fischer Network / Email Admin...

OS9 login to Netware 5 okay, OSX login to Netware 5 fails
--____DBOIMFUIYTYUEXTAEQAR____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have 3 Netware 5 (SP6) servers all configured the same and are running = Netware 5 Services for Appleshare v4.5. This just started happening a few days ago. It was working perfectly fine = before. I can't think of anything I might have done to this one particular= server to make it go "bad". I can login under OS X to 2 out of the 3. I can login under OS 9 to all of them. The one I can't login to: No matter what user login I use, I a...

Login Script does not work with contextless login
I need some advice regarding Login script for Windows XP SP2. Server: NetWare6.5 SP7 Client: Windows XP SP2 Login script is set on OU where users reside. Login Script does not work since if contextless login is configured. Contextless Login works fine but no drive map works due to Login script does not work. If Contextless Login setting is removed from XP computer, login script starts to work. Users have only local C:\ drive only under My Computer on XP when Contextless Login is enabled. Login scripts map few more network drives that reside on NetWare servers. Do y...

Netware login and WinXP login boxes
I am upgrading from WIN 2K to WIN XP, using Netware Client v 4.9.1. When I startup the computer, I get the Novell login screen to enter user name/password, select ok to get a successfull login. Then, I get a windows workstation dialog box to enter user name/password. Passwords are out of sync. We have approx. 500 users, so I can't set everyone up with a user account in Windows. We don't have a dedicated domain server, so I'm not sure how to fix this problem. We are also using ConsoleOne 1.3.3 with Zen. I'm new to the Novell world, so I hope someone can he...

login name and login status help
I have a login form in 'main' page and in 'user' page I have login name and login status control.   But after logged in user page doen't show the user name and status. I'm using forms and database authentication. any help appreciated. ben Hi Ben, How do you know that you have succesfully logged in if you can see neither a user name nor status?  Perhaps if you sent a little code it might be easier to help you out.  Do you have a LoginView?  Many more questions I could ask, so perhaps clear up the question a little. Thanks! Li...

Last Login time and LDAP logins

Web resources about - LDAP Contextless login and Relative Distinguished Names (RDN) login - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Distinguished Service Cross (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Distinguished Service Cross is the second highest military award that can be given to a member of the United States Army (and previously, ...

Flying B-24 With Distinguished Veteran - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
On March 20, 2009, Governor Rick Perry took to the skies with World War II veteran Wally Bludworth, who recently received a Distinguished Flying ...

TTIC Distinguished Lecture Series - Geoffrey Hinton - YouTube
Title: Dark Knowledge Abstract: A simple way to improve classification performance is to average the predictions of a large ensemble of different ...

New US Medal for Drones, Cyber Attacks: Distinguished Warfare Medal
US soldiers that launch drone strikes and direct cyber attacks may be recognised with a new medal.

Commodore Charles McHardie honoured for distinguished service
Commodore McHardie says one of the joys of leading Combined Task Force 150 was knowing he'd made a difference.

Crime-solving distinguished by mercy
Donna Leon is one of the more unusual and satisfying writers of crime fiction in the current pantheon.

Gillian Triggs: Malcolm Turnbull defends Human Rights Commission president as 'distinguished academic' ...
Malcolm Turnbull dismisses the debate about Gillian Triggs' impartiality as one that misses the point, describing her as distinguished.

Johnny Depp receives distinguished artisan award at makeup and hair stylists guild awards - Entertainment ...
In an awards season that seems to have a ceremony for every facet of filmmaking, the Make-up and Hair Stylists Guild awards returned after a ...

Ryerson appoints Paul Woods as Rogers distinguished visiting professor in journalism
... in journalism for 2012-2013 Paul Woods, a long-time journalist for the Canadian Press, has been named Ryerson University’s Rogers Distinguished ...

DataRPM adds Cisco Distinguished Engineer Kevin Shatzkamer to Board of ...
DataRPM adds Cisco Distinguished Engineer Kevin Shatzkamer to Board of ... 4-traders (press release) DataRPM, the industry pioneer in natural ...