file date/time not updating on netware volume

We're running:
NW5.1 sp6
edir 8.7
WinXP, Client versions 4.9 and 4.9 sp1 (beta a_17)
file caching is off on clients

Our problem is that sometimes the modified date & time is not updated
on netware volumes, even if the file has been modified by a client.
One example is a client logging application we have running on some
machines.  The app logs an event to a file on a Netware volume, then
closes it and the app exits.  The timestamp in the event log is for
example 11/20/2003 1:00 PM, and the file modified time on the server
remains at 11/19/2003.  How can the file modified time be earlier than
the latest event???  I have verified that both the server and client
have correct time and are in sync with each other.

Other similar problems arise if a file is copied from a workstation to
the server, and that file already exists.  The file date remains the
date of the existing file, but the contents of the file are the
contents of the later file which was copied up to the server.

This only happens with the 4.9 and 4.9 sp1 client.  Our 4.83 sp2
clients don't have this issue.  We don't want to backrev to 4.83sp2,
because we've had problems with this client version sometimes dropping
network drives, or not being able to connect to network drives at
login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Mike

0
mmi

> We're running:
> NW5.1 sp6
> edir 8.7
> WinXP, Client versions 4.9 and 4.9 sp1 (beta a_17)
> file caching is off on clients
>
> Our problem is that sometimes the modified date & time is not
updated on
netware volumes, even if the file has been modified by a client.  One

example is a client logging application we have running on some
machines.
The app logs an event to a file on a Netware volume, then closes it
and
the app exits.  The timestamp in the event log is for example
11/20/2003
1:00 PM, and the file modified time on the server remains at
11/19/2003.
How can the file modified time be earlier than the latest event???  I
have
verified that both the server and client have correct time and are in
sync
with each other.

> Other similar problems arise if a file is copied from a workstation
the server, and that file already exists.  The file date remains the
date
of the existing file, but the contents of the file are the contents of
the
later file which was copied up to the server.

> This only happens with the 4.9 and 4.9 sp1 client.  Our 4.83 sp2
clients
don't have this issue.  We don't want to backrev to 4.83sp2, because
we've
had problems with this client version sometimes dropping network
drives,
or not being able to connect to network drives at login.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> Mike

We are having the same problem.
We have clients running both 4.8 sp2 NW clients and 4.9 NW clients and
the
same thing is happeing. We use Basis' Vpro5 and there native language
for
our in house apps.  When a programer goes in to modify a file and then

save it the time and date do not change.  This is a problem on both XP
and
2000 Pro.  We do not get that problem on NT 4.0.
Any help is much needed
Justin

0
techsupport
11/20/2003 10:52:31 PM
Look at disabling anti-virus software or file caching.

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
11/20/2003 11:26:38 PM
> Look at disabling anti-virus software or file caching.
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

Thanks Tony.
Disabling Norton Anti_virus did work.  Do you know why?
Justin

0
techsupport
11/21/2003 2:12:13 PM
Older builds Norton (ie. Symantec) and McAfee are known to mess with
file
dates on the NetWare servers.  Patch AV as appropriate...

Files saved onto Network drive are saved with file date 01/01/85
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10069842.htm

Tony

0
Tony
11/21/2003 2:37:17 PM
> Older builds Norton (ie. Symantec) and McAfee are known to mess with
file
> dates on the NetWare servers.  Patch AV as appropriate...
>
> Files saved onto Network drive are saved with file date 01/01/85
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10069842.htm

> Tony

Thanks again Tony!
What about NAV 2003 Pro??  I am running that on 2K and XP machines and

they are the only ones with the problem.  I am running NAV 2000 on
some NT
4.0 Wksts and they are fine.  What have you had luck with?

0
techsupport
11/21/2003 2:48:22 PM
We run a variety of AV products thoroughout our environment, CA's
eTrust
AntiVirus on our workstations.
From what we've seen Mcafee and Symantec just have too many issues
especially with Novell Clients.

I would take your issue up with Symantec and see if they can fix it
themselves or ask them to work with Novell on it.
For the time being you may want to try moving them back to NAV 2000.

Tony

0
Tony

NetWare Volumes and XP Offline files
Is it possible to use the Windows XP Offline Files option to synchronize files on a laptop with files on a NetWare Volume? The "Make Available Offline" option does not seem to be an option when a directory is right- clicked on a NetWare volume but it is for an NTFS volume. Thanks Jamie From what you've said the answer would appear to be "no", as is. My guess is you'd need to connect to the NW server with CIFS for this to work, but you really need to ask MS about the limitations of their products. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Vol...

NetWare to NetWare file copy problem
Hello All, We are trying to copy files from a Netware 6.5 server (SP6) to a newer NetWare 6.5 (SP7) server. We are copying an entire volume, VOL1. The source server has a 33GB volume with about 4GB of free space. When we start the copy the disk space on the source server drops and eventually the copy stops when space on the source server runs out. The destination servers volume is 200GB, so I have no idea why the source server is running out of space. We are doing the copy from a Windows XP PC, and to me it looks like the Netware server is doing some type of caching but not ...

Data copy from a Netware 5.1 traditional volume to a Netware 6.5 NSS volume
I need to move about 245gig of data from a Netware 5.1 traditional volume to a Netware 6.5 NSS volume. We do not want to restore from tape. Running XCOPY from a new clean workstation will take 15 hours or so. Is there something faster? What about Netbasic? Are there limitations? <p3rf3ct10n@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ev2Bh.636$rL6.624@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... >I need to move about 245gig of data from a Netware 5.1 traditional >volume > to a Netware 6.5 NSS volume. > We do not want to restore from tape. > Running XCOPY from a new clean workst...

What may be updating file date and time of unacessed msf files?
I use an archiving backup program that automatically adds a new revision to an archive file when the file's date and time are updated on my Win2000 system. I have just recently switched to Thunderbird from Eudora where I used essentially the same archiving scheme. In Eudora, the mail and TOC file's date and time would not change unless new mail was added or content of something in composition in the Outbox changed. But now, in my recent Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 install something is changing a different set of 23 to 25 .msf file's date and time in a cycle that rene...

ASE (Netware) to ASA (Netware) Sharing files
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. 1. How do you share files between Netware machines? 2. Is there something like ssremote.nlm? Description: We have a customer that wants to Replicate using SQL Remote between ASE on Netware and ASA on Netware. They want to use a file link for this. When you install SQL Remote for Adaptive Server Enterprise (from the SQL Anywhere Studio 6.02 CD) it does not ask you for the target platform. The message agent (ssremote) is installed as an exe. Does this mean that the message agent must run on a win32 machine? We have a customer ru...

unable to mount the netware 6 cd as a netware volume??
Has anyone seen this error before, tried drivers, swapped CD drive, different CDs etc no joy, any help gratefully received. > Has anyone seen this error before, tried drivers, swapped CD drive, > different CDs etc no joy, any help gratefully received. Have you loaded the CDRom NLM? Do you have the underlaying drivers loaded (idecd, scsicd, etc)? -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop Remember: "Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you are probably right." All opinion...

Unable to mount the Netware 6 CD as a Netware volumes
I was installing the Netware 6x Small Business Edition and received the following message after the scsi, nic drivers are loaded and it attempts to install the OS - "Unable to mount the the Netware 6 CD as a Netware volume. Using a ide cdrom to install. Any help appreciated. Thanks Paul > I was installing the Netware 6x Small Business Edition and received the > following message after the scsi, nic drivers are loaded and it attempts to > install the OS - "Unable to mount the the Netware 6 CD as a Netware volume. > Using a ide cdrom to ...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5 Volumes
I currently have a Netware 5 server with Sys on a local disk and a Netware 5 volume (Data) on a external Raid 5 enclosure through a Adaptec 2940U2W adapter holding just my data. I am replacing the old server & installing a new Netware 6.5 server with the sys volume on a local Raid 5 stack. ?Question - Can I install the Adaptec 2940U2W with the proper drivers and expect to see and mount the old Netware 5 Data Volume Yes, however there has been a problem that has been recently identified that if this volume is not present when the server is installed, it can be deleted if the...

update netware deployment files
Hello, I wanted to upgrade my netware deploymentfiles from version 8.0.2 to 8.0.3 and the actual EBF. For creating my setup-files I have a directory on my windows pc. I first did the 8.0.3 maintanance uppgrade and entered the path of my netware files directory. This worked fine. Then I wnted to do just the same with the EBF, but this time after entering the path the setup routine tells me, that there is no valid netweare installation found. How to solve this? Thanks Fabian Fabian Knauf wrote: > Hello, > > I wanted to upgrade my netware deploymentfiles from v...

Netware Server A access to Netware servers B volumes
Hello, it's possible to access from server A console to servers B volumes and files. I 'need this for a canon nlm program that stores printfiles only on Printserver but we need this files on server B. For example: Its possible to edit on servers A console edit serverB/sys:system/canon.txt I know this windows like, but we need this. Any idea ??? You can see files on another server with ConsoleOne by navigating to its volume objects, but I'm not aware of way of editing them. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://suppo...

Compare file modified date time to system date time
I have an client application that uploads a zip file to a server. Once the server application sees the file, it processes the file. The process starts before the zip file is completely downloaded to the server. I want to delay the process until the file is completely downloaded. I am trying to compare the zip file modified date time with the system date time. If the zip file modified date time is 5 seconds older than the system date time then I know the zip file downloaded. At this point I will continue to process the zip file. I am not sure how I can compare the two date time. The DateTime....

To Reinstall Netware 6 BM to Netware File Server NDS
Our Netware 6 File Server crashed and was reinstalled and data restored. However, all new users created post Server reinstallation do not replicate to BM NDS, hence do not authenticate to the BM for Internet access. Please, I am stranded here...any help from colleagues. This is a SOS. I have tried synchronization from DSrepair, unattanded DSrepair, but got an error code: -634 (could not find net address). Do I need to reinstall the BM on the Server NDS and if yes, how do I go about it? Please address the issue of licence if it is reinstalled, what objects would be removed from th...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Web resources about - file date/time not updating on netware volume - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.