Error 8884 on login with 4.91 SP2

Newsgroup -

I have a few machines that I have moved to client 4.91 SP2. (From SP1
with a bunch of post-SP1 patches.)

On the machines that have been upgraded to 4.91 SP2, error 8884 is
reported on a few mappings a good 50% of the time on login. The machines
with SP1 are not seeing this problem.

Did something change in SP2 that could be causing this? It's a totally
random error, but it happens about half the time on login.

- Matt
0
Matt

Matt,

Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare services/names over IP?
If so, masking any info. you might consider a security hazard please post
the results of SLPINFO /A run from the command-prompt on a Windows
workstation.

Is a ZENworks agent installed on these workstations?...

8884 error in login script mapping to available server
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10091670.htm

What syntax is used to create drive mappings?...

Login-4.21.15-890: The specified server is unknown
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061463.htm

Is a default server set in either the client properties or the eDirectory
user object?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

0
Tony
1/25/2006 2:54:14 PM
Are that lines creating the errors local mappings?

There is a bug in SP2 interpreting local drives as Network Servers.

Klaus

"Matt White" <mwhite@madriver.NOSPAM.k12.oh.us> wrote in message
> Newsgroup -
>
> I have a few machines that I have moved to client 4.91 SP2. (From SP1 with
> a bunch of post-SP1 patches.)
>
> On the machines that have been upgraded to 4.91 SP2, error 8884 is
> reported on a few mappings a good 50% of the time on login. The machines
> with SP1 are not seeing this problem.
>
> Did something change in SP2 that could be causing this? It's a totally
> random error, but it happens about half the time on login.
>
> - Matt

0
Klaus
1/26/2006 11:06:33 AM
Tony Pedretti wrote:

> Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare services/names over IP?
> If so, masking any info. you might consider a security hazard please post
> the results of SLPINFO /A run from the command-prompt on a Windows
> workstation.

Here's SLPINFO /A from one of the machines:

--- Cut here ---

***         Novell Client for Windows NT          ***
***         Service Location Diagnostics          ***

SLP Version:             4.91.0.1
SLP Start Time:          9:50:44am    1/26/2006
Last I/O:                10:04:15am   1/26/2006
Total Packets:           Out: 656         In: 322
Total Bytes:             Out: 49683       In: 12299

SLP Operational Parameters                     Values
-------------------------------                ------------
Static Scopes                                  NO
Static Directory Agents                        NO
Active Discovery                               NO
Use Broadcast for SLP Multicast                NO
Use DHCP for SLP                               YES
SLP Maximum Transmission Unit                  1400 bytes
SLP Multicast Radius                           32 hops

SLP Timers                                     Values
-------------------------------------          ------------
Give Up on Requests to SAs                     15 seconds
Close Idle TCP Connections                     5 minutes
Cache SLP Replies                              1 minutes
SLP Default Registration Lifetime              10800 seconds
Wait Before Giving Up on DA                    5 seconds
Wait Before Registering on Passive DA          1-2 seconds

Scope List                                     Source(s)
----------------------------------------       ------------
MRLS                                           DHCP,DA

DA IP Address     Source(s)   State   Version  Local Interface   Scope(s)
---------------   ---------   -----   -------  ---------------
---------------

10.27.17.1        DHCP        UP      SLPV2    10.27.33.164      MRLS
10.27.48.50       DHCP        UP      SLPV2    10.27.33.164      MRLS

Local Interface   10.27.33.164
---------------------------------
Operational State:       UP
Operating Mode(s):       STATIC-DA,NO-ACTIVE-DISCOVERY,DHCP-MANDATORY-SCOPES
SA/UA Scopes:            MRLS
Last I/O:                10:04:15am   1/26/2006
Total Packets:           Out: 632         In: 322
Total Bytes:             Out: 48507       In: 12299
Last Addr Out:           10.27.17.1
Last Addr In:            10.27.17.1

--- Cut here ---

> Is a ZENworks agent installed on these workstations?...
>
> 8884 error in login script mapping to available server
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10091670.htm

ZfD 7 is installed on the workstations. The bad address cache is already
set to 0.

> What syntax is used to create drive mappings?...
>
> Login-4.21.15-890: The specified server is unknown
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061463.htm

This is the line that is most likely to fail:

MAP I: =  GW1/GRPWISE:/

> Is a default server set in either the client properties or the eDirectory
> user object?

Client props no, eDirectory user object yes.

- Matt
0
Matt
1/26/2006 7:24:11 PM
Klaus Arpe wrote:
> Are that lines creating the errors local mappings?

Nope, it's to a remote server. I didn't even know that local mappings
where possible. :)

- Matt
0
Matt
1/26/2006 7:24:47 PM
I'm not sure about ending that map line with a slash.
Assuming GRPWISE is the volume name and replacing OUs and O as
appropriate, does this line work any better?....

MAP I:=.GW1_GRPWISE.OU.OU.O:

Note the placement of the colon, underscore and dots.

Error: "Login-4.21.14-430: The following drive mapping operation could
not be completed
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10019026.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
0
Tony Pedretti wrote:

> MAP I:=.GW1_GRPWISE.OU.OU.O:
>
> Note the placement of the colon, underscore and dots.

I switched the mapping over to this format, we'll see what happens.

There's a reason we left the drive mappings in the "old" bindery style,
but I can't remember what it was at the moment... I think it was
compatibility with the old DOS Client32 client (for imaging computers
with Ghost), but now that we use ZfD imaging that isn't an issue.

I'll let you know what happens.

- Matt
0
Matt
1/27/2006 1:54:55 PM
Awaiting your results.
Haven't done it in a year or two but I'm fairly certain the NDS-style
mapping does work with version 2.71 client for DOS/Windows 3.x.  Its
possible you're thinking of the older VLM clients.

--
Tony Pedretti
0
Tony Pedretti wrote:
> Awaiting your results.
> Haven't done it in a year or two but I'm fairly certain the NDS-style
> mapping does work with version 2.71 client for DOS/Windows 3.x.  Its
> possible you're thinking of the older VLM clients.

Tony -

So far, so good. It's been a few days (and dozens of logins) and I
haven't had a failure yet.

I believe you're right that NDS-style mappings worked on Client32 2.71
for DOS - it's the old VLM client (which we had still be using in a few
small pockets) that had problems.

Thanks.

- Matt
0
Matt

Client32 4.90 SP2 and 4.91 B3 hang up on second login in Windows XP
Hi, The problem started manifesting itself sometime around November - December 2004. Environment: Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches. Server NW 4.11 with IP stack loaded. Client 4.90 SP2 with all PSP2 patches using IPX only. First login after reboot runs well 90% of a times. In about 10% of all cases it will hang on the login screen with the animated "connection" wait icon active indefinitely. Tried to leave it overnight, no difference. The only remedy is a hardware reset or shutdown. Second login, after a user logged off, never succeeds. Login screen disappears, Window...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Client 4.91 install error and XP SP2
I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following error when the install should finish. An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: Novell client for windows. I haven't found any documentation on this. Any ideas woule be helpful. Thanks, Eric Kaufmann kaufmann@slu.edu wrote: > I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following > error when the install should finish. > > An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: > Novell client for windows. > > I haven't found any documen...

Error Code 8884 with Client 4.91 SP2
I have a few workstations that I upgraded to the current version of Client32 and they are having great difficulty mapping drives to another server at a different location. They get the following errors: LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-890: The specified server is unknown. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. The error code was 8884. I did some research and found some info to change the Bad Address Cache in the client from 300 to 0. That did not seem to help. I configured the client for IP only. Workstation is XP SP2. Firewall turned ...

Slowness After Login
Hello. I'm having a slowness problem with Novell Client 4.91 and Windows XP SP2. The login process is fine. The speed is fine. About a minute after login, the system "pauses," and refuses to do anything. (The Windows Task monitor will appear, but nothing seems to be hogging the processor) The "pause" lasts for about 1 minute, and then the system is fine. All client operations are normal. The problem does not occur if I choose "workstation only," so I'm pretty sure that it is related to the Novell client. However, the problem is intermit...

Netware 4.91 SP2 Mapping to wrong volume on login
I have a problem on a Windows XP SP2 workstation with Netware 4.91 SP2. On login it maps to the SYS volume instead of the shared "common" volume where spreadsheets etc. are stored. The volume label displays the correct path it's just when you open it the files there are from the SYS volume, I have found a work around to re map the "common" volume, log out and back in which reconnects it correctly but I would like to know what could possibly cause and prevent this if anyone can help? Thanks. -- bulkhaulit -------------------------------------------------...

Cannot login to Netware 4.11 or 5.00, from a Windows XP SP2.
Downloaded, and installed the latest Netware Client. 'Novell Client 4.90 SP2'. We have quite a few Windows XP with SP2 installed PC's. But when using this client, am unable to login. The previous client we used was 4.83 SP1, which causes not problems when logging in. On the same PC's. With the 'Novell Client 4.90 SP2' client, we cannot even browse for the Netware Servers we are running, nor locate the correct context. Any ideas ? With the 4.11 servers (and probably with your 5.0 servers) the 4.83SP3 client would be my preference (some will note t...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP SP2 & Contextless Login
Hello, I was just wondering if this is expected behavior from the Novell Client. I am setting up a new environment using OES2 Linux and ZCM, migrating from Netware 6.5 OES with a new tree. SLP is set up and DHCP works well. The issue is this, I am using ZCM to distribute a GP to the workstation using Shaun's ADM file. In the GP I have configured a Preferred Tree and LDAP Contextless Login settings. When a workstation is first set up, the client takes the settings right away. However, you cannot login using LDAP because the client does not try to use the LDAP.. the usern...

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Login Fails on Windows XP SP2 and 4.9 SP2
After installing a fresh copy of WinXP Pro SP2 and Client 4.9 SP2 my systems all take between 2 to 5 minutes to login or comeback with a 'failed to find tree would you like to login to windows' message. When I click no on the error message then hit ok to login again it logs in immediately. I have noticed that if I start the computer and leave it at the login window for 10 minutes it will login immediately no problems. Has anyone had this problem and can they tell me how to fix it? Matthew System Specs Windows XP Pro SP2 Client 4.9 SP2 Symantec Client Security ...

Error updating 4.90 client to 4.91 SP2
We are having this issue only on our lab systems where the local account is volatile. When upgrading the client on these systems, and then the subsequent reboot, we get an error "Windows cannot find 'C:\Document... blah blah.. \Temp\nwlocal.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Is there something this update does upon reboot that it requires that executable? Bob University of North Carolina at Charlotte Nwlocal.exe is launched after the reboot if you have specified that you want to delete the local copy of the Client install ...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

4.91 sp2 on XP sp2 "no tree or server"
Grettings I too have been seeing the "no tree or server found" error. I have resolved many of them but have one stickler. Facts- Novell client sp2, OS = XP tablet edition, This computer functioned fine after upgrading to 4.91sp2. After a boot problem it failed with "no tree or server found". Removed client, reinstalled it continued to fail. SLP Da was delivered via dhcp and showed "192.168.21.X DHCP NORSP ? 192.168.0.196 <unknown>" also shows SLP bytes outbound, but no inbound The da address is pingable. Other 200 clients ...

Web resources about - Error 8884 on login with 4.91 SP2 - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Pilot error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pilot error (sometimes called cockpit error ) is a term used to describe the cause of an accident involving an airworthy aircraft where the pilot ...

The Friends error you never saw - The Courier-Mail Search Search
... for you ... except when you have to reshoot your lines. THEY’LL be there for you ... except when you have to reshoot your lines. An error in ...

The Friends error you never saw - DailyTelegraph Search Search
... for you ... except when you have to reshoot your lines. THEY’LL be there for you ... except when you have to reshoot your lines. An error in ...

The Friends error you never saw
THEY’LL be there for you ... except when you have to reshoot your lines. An error in a Friends episode where an unknown woman can be spotted ...

Did ISIS just make a huge tactical error with Paris attacks? - PerthNow Search Search
THE world has been shocked by the Paris attacks but could they have revealed a big weakness for Islamic State?

RBA 'surprised' by banks' $50b home loan error
The RBA is surprised, concerned and disappointed with the quality of the banks' home loan data.

Rare manufacturing error leaves iPad Pro with gold Touch ID ring and silver back
... with a silver Touch ID ring. When our reader contacted Apple about the problem, they told him it’s an “extremely rare” manufacturing error, ...

NYT East Africa Bureau Chief Still Paying the Price for Mugabe Error
... Jeffrey Gettleman , East Africa bureau chief for The New York Times, tweeted the following: Still getting nasty msgs. I corrected error, apologized ...

Valeant CEO's $27M 'error' bonus?
A new report says J. Michael Pearson got more than 500,000 Valeant share units in "error" in 2013.

Run a backup and check error logs, then we'll talk
Contract programmer pilot fish is working on a project to automate a steel rolling mill where giant ingots the size of cars are flattened into ...