Client 4.91/SP2 - Update agent not run from Mapped Network Drive under MS XP

hi,

Update agent will run from Mapped Network Drive under Widows 2000 but not
from Windows XP workstations.

Message appears "no update found"

Thank You for any help

REGARDS
Klaus Tillenburg

0
klaus

I think Novell recommends using UNC paths with the update agent.

XP is more secure than 2000 in the user vs. system respect.  As such
trying to get some system-level processes to use attributes from the
user space doesn't work.

--
Tony Pedretti
0
> I think Novell recommends using UNC paths with the update agent.
> XP is more secure than 2000 in the user vs. system respect.  As such
> trying to get some system-level processes to use attributes from the
> user space doesn't work.

I thought this was fixed within SP/2 ?
In some cases it would be really better using mapped drives.
I have to update 7 locations and I'am using exactly the same client
configurations for all locations except the CUA Update-Path it points to
the local servers, that's pity.

Regards
Klaus Tillenburg

0
klaus
4/6/2006 6:00:55 AM
klaus.tillenburg@gmx.de schrieb:
>>I think Novell recommends using UNC paths with the update agent.
>>XP is more secure than 2000 in the user vs. system respect.  As such
>>trying to get some system-level processes to use attributes from the
>>user space doesn't work.
>

> I thought this was fixed within SP/2 ?

Works as designed so there is nothing to fix from the viewpoint of MS.
For WinXP you cannot have mapped drives from witin a system account
context for security reasons.

Regards,
Frank
0
Frank
4/6/2006 7:13:37 AM
SP2 for Windows XP?
If anything Microsoft would have made it even more secure (e.g.
difficult to use drive mappings in the system/workstation space).

I'm curious if an environment variable or otherwise calling a variable
with the local server name would be possible...

Using Drive Letters when Assigning Workstation Apps
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/3586.html

AppNote: Delivering Fault Tolerant MSI Applications using ZENworks for
Desktops
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/3555.html

Using a Variable for Delivering Applications to Workstations
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/3284.html

--
Tony Pedretti
0
Tony Pedretti schrieb:
> SP2 for Windows XP?
> If anything Microsoft would have made it even more secure (e.g.
> difficult to use drive mappings in the system/workstation space).
>
> I'm curious if an environment variable or otherwise calling a variable
> with the local server name would be possible...

That's the way we are doing it with ZEN and pre-/pos-distribution
scripts. As theses are also called from within system account context it
should work.

Regards,
Frank.
0
Frank

Client not mapping drives XP Pro Client 4.83sp1
I am having a problem getting any novell client on an XP Pro machine mapping drives. I have tried every client from 4.83 sp1 through the current beta. I have tried re-installing the clients with every install option, but it will not map any drives for ANY client. Untill 5-28-2004 I have never had this problem with any other computer on location. This is happening to any new (new or reloaded with a fresh copy of xp). Other 25 computers on site work fine, acconts log in on other computers ok, but any new copmuter I try to log in will not map drives. Is there something real...

Delay accessing XP SP2 mapped drive under 4.91
Hi guys, got an annoying problem here I'm wondering if anyone else has run into. We're running an old Netware 5 server with several mapped drives (over IP, no IPX) and recently set up a windows XP box with a 300G hard drive for storage of larger items. Installed the 4.91 client and can browse the Netware shares fine. The problem: when users attempt to connect to the share (via a drive mapping) on the XP box, they sometimes experience a delay of 10-15 seconds before the contents are displayed. Further browsing of the subfolders in the directory is quick. The delay...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

XP Memory Dump on SP2 Netware Client 4.9 sp2
I have a brand new system that shipped with Windows XP sp2. I loaded the netware client for xp 4.9 sp2(4.90.2.20040617). I get a memory dump and blue screen everytime I boot up. Is there an issue with XP sp2 or do I need a different client. Please help Dustin Hy, we can the same problem with NW 4.90 SP2. Now we have install the Postfix Variante D. we have now in this time no blue screen. I think, the variante D cure this problem. Regards Christian Wolff MIS Software mailto:service@mis-software.de http://www.mis-software.de Tel: +49(0)3328 317770 Fax: +49(0)9...

NetWare Client 4.90-SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and SLP
I have configured my NetWare Client 4.90-SP2, running on Windows XP, to obtain SLP DA server IP's from my DHCP server (ISC DHCP, v3). Everything works just fine. "slpinfo /all" shows the 2 DA's, says their up, gives the correct SLP version, etc. I install SP2 for Windows XP, and now "slpinfo /all" shows "NORSP" instead of "UP" for the two DA servers. I then turned off the windows firewall that came with SP2, and now everything works again. Anyone had similar experience? I can post config/output if needed. thanks! mack Have see...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP and Netware 4.11 / NWADMIN does not start
Hello. I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32). NWADMN95 works. NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32) still works from an old W2K client. I tried the W2K compatability mode, but not success. No error message, just nothing happens after doubleclick on NWADMIN32. Thanks for help, Michael Michael, > I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were > W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start N...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Client 4.91 install error and XP SP2
I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following error when the install should finish. An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: Novell client for windows. I haven't found any documentation on this. Any ideas woule be helpful. Thanks, Eric Kaufmann kaufmann@slu.edu wrote: > I am trying to deploy the 4.91 client on XP SP 2. I get the following > error when the install should finish. > > An unknown error 0X00000001 (1) occured while installing: > Novell client for windows. > > I haven't found any documen...

Client 4.91 sp4 and Windows XP sp2
We recently updated some of our field offices with new 6.5 servers and incorporated them into our WAN. While doing this we updated all workstations to the newest client we had (4.9.4). Everything worked great until recently. When we brought all the field stations into the WAN we also connected them to our SUS server so they could get some badly need updates. As workstations started getting sp2 for XP pushed down to them, clients began failing and had to be reinstalled (they worked fine after that). We have several workstations spread out over the state so I suspended the XPsp2 push...

Netware Client 4.91 SP4 on XP 64
--____TCEKHTYIECUIBJNOODNZ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Mon, 29 Jul 2007 06:28:00 +0200" Novell newly declares (in Readme), that 4.91SP4 client can run on 64-bit = client, but it is not supported. I am trying to install (even as = non-suported software), but installer ends with error message,that the = software is only for 32-bit Windows. Are there any workaround, how to = install SP4 on x64? David Konicek --____TCEKHTYIECUIBJNOODNZ____ Content-Type: mul...

Slowness After Login
Hello. I'm having a slowness problem with Novell Client 4.91 and Windows XP SP2. The login process is fine. The speed is fine. About a minute after login, the system "pauses," and refuses to do anything. (The Windows Task monitor will appear, but nothing seems to be hogging the processor) The "pause" lasts for about 1 minute, and then the system is fine. All client operations are normal. The problem does not occur if I choose "workstation only," so I'm pretty sure that it is related to the Novell client. However, the problem is intermit...

NDPS Win XP SP2 and NW Client 4.91
We are building a new image for XP sp2. Our old image had a bunch of software we no longer use and it's just time for a new image. Our old image was Win XP sp2 with the 4.91c client and it is working find with NDPS RPS. However our new image is not. I get an error "Driver Unsuitable for Installation" with a tag "winerror.h -126" The user is an adminisator on the machine and "everyone" has full rights to the c:\NDPS dir. I have uninstalled NMAS. We have also tried changing the driver version. What kills me is that it works fine on our o...

unable to install client 4.91 on windows XP SP2
Hi, I'm unable to install the Novell Client 4.91 (with pka+nwgina_3 patch) on a windows xp sp2 +post sp2 updates workstation. I get the following error when I start nwsetup.exe /ACU /U:unattend.txt "An unknow error 0x00000001 (1) occurred whil installing: Novell Client for Windows" Are there any debug switches available to get some more info to what is going wrong? I also did the setup manualy with and without the NMAS and NICI options both instances returned above mentioned error. Anybode else got client 4.91 installation issues on windows XP SP2? thanx,...

Windows XP, Netware 5, client 4.83 sp2
LS. Workstation XP with Novell client 4.83 Sp2 is very slow retrieving info from server (Novell 5). Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most we use tweaks) 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 server? Dirk > Question 1. For windows XP novell client 4.9x is a must for speed? (or most > we use tweaks) No, 4.83 SP2 or SP3 should do fine -- what protocols did you set up? > 2. If so, is it possible to install the novell client 4.90 with Netware 5 > server? > You might try the more rece...

Web resources about - Client 4.91/SP2 - Update agent not run from Mapped Network Drive under MS XP - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

A&E Networks Takes Stake In Digital Cooking Brand Panna
A&E Networks, the corporate owner of cable networks including A&E and Lifetime, is taking a stake in Panna, the digital cooking brand, and partnering ...

Cable Network Ranker: FNC No. 1 Total Day During Week of Dec. 7
Fox News Channel was No. 3 in prime time and No. 1 in total day viewers among all ad-supported cable networks for the week of December 7. FNC ...

Yu-Gi-Oh! (TV 2/2000) - Anime News Network Anime News Network
Columns (incl. Anime News Nina! , ANNtv , ANNCast , Answerman , Astro Toy , Brain Diving , Buried Treasure , Chicks On Anime , Crashing Japan ...

The updated Beam for Reddit is a great way to browse the social network
... City Adventure . Beam for reddit Alien Blue - reddit official client The updated Beam for Reddit is a great way to browse the social network ...

When a single e-mail gives hackers full access to your network
... company that's a favorite target of sophisticated hackers, it often makes sense to install security appliances at the outer edges of your network ...

$40 is all you need to give your home Wi-Fi network a big upgrade
You spend so much money on home broadband service that it borders on being ridiculous. Seriously, how do ISPs get away with this? Unfortunately, ...

F5 Networks CEO Rivelo steps down for 'personal conduct' reasons
F5 Networks' new CEO Manny Rivelo on Monday stepped down as an executive and board member for "personal conduct" reasons, just six short months ...

Australian Networks Concede One Third Of Consumers Could Go Off Grid
... and spurred on by increasingly cheap solar and storage technology – could, conceivably, choose to go off grid. Two [&hellip Australian Networks ...