Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server

Hi Guys

First time of posting, can anyone help me?

We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98
Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it.

Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional
SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use
from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get
the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of
problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on.

Periodically when logging in the PC's just randomly reboot after the user
password has been entered in the Novell Client - very strange, any ideas?
This doesn't happen very often, usually when we've changed users logging in.

Secondly, The PC's connect to the server fine, we can see the relevant
directories, but I think we have an issue with either drive Mappings or
Access rights. When we go into MS Word and look for one of our stored
documents, the server "Word Storage" directory comes up fine, but when we
try & select the document, we get warning messages saying it can't find the
file we selected. Having accepted these warning messages, if we go back and
try & open another document then we are simply pointed at the PC's local
hard drive and not the server directory required. If we close & reopen MS
Word then we get the right server "Word Storage" directory first, followed
by the can't find file warrnings again and then are bumped back to the local
drive if we try again, basically the process just repeats.

Looking at the difference in the default log in script that is displayed
between a Win 98 machine and a Win Prof. machine when they are executed,
there is one line that differs, on win 98 machine we get (displayed as the
login is executed):

S1:=Z:\PUBLIC [ABC_SYS: \PUBLIC]

But on the WIN XP Prof machine we get:

S1:=Z:. [ABC_SYS:PUBLIC \]

I've read somewhere that MAP.EXE for netware 4.10 causes "backslash" to be
part of the Dos path to that drive letter rather than a period. Don't know
whether this is part of our problem, I've tried the solution that was
suggested but the problem still happens.

Any suggestion on how to solve our problems would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

0
Mark

> Periodically when logging in the PC's just randomly reboot after the user
> password has been entered in the Novell Client - very strange, any ideas?
> This doesn't happen very often, usually when we've changed users logging
in.

Do you have "automatic recovery" set to restart in case of errors? If so,
you can turn it off and perhaps see what is going on more clearly. We too
are using 4.83sp3 and seeing blue screen stops 0x0000021a on login.
Regards,
Chris G
0
dvlpt

Client 4.83 or 4.90 for XP connecting to NetWare 4.11 server error code 8804
I loaded the Novell Client for XP version 4.83 and also tried 4.90 but, as shown below, there seems to be a problem with the login script mappings. Results window displays: Your current context is FINGERMATE User: FM95 Context: FINGERMATE Your current tree is: Fingermate You are attached to server FM1. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/AR] The error code was 8804. LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed. [INS S16:=FM1_SYS:PUBLIC/JKDATA/I...

Client 4.91 SP3, XP and Netware 4.11
I'm having a lot of troubles to connect an XP Pro workstation with a 4.11 Novell network. All the other workstations use W98, so it's my first experience with this. The PC is a Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ with Windows XP Proffesional SP1. The network cards (I installed a second one) are a D-Link DFE 538TX and a NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Family RTL8139 Realtek. The server runs Novell 4.11. I installed Netware Client 4.91 SP3 and it wouldn't log in (giving message "cannot acces the tree"). Changed protocol from IPX and IP to IPX only. Same result. Entered correct frame typ...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Login-Problem: Win XP Home -> Client 4.91 -> Netware 4.11
On a new Computer - the first XP in the net - I have a little problem logging in to Netware 4.11. If I stand by the computer while booting and type in the password when the Novell login screen is shown, everything works perfect. But when I walk away from the computer or doing other works while the computer is booting and the login screen is stand for a time, I enter my passwort, a big "N" is shown an two network cables are blinking (on the screen) but I get no access to the Server. Does anyone knows how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. On 3/30/2005 Lars.Pfau...

Win XP client for Netware 4.10 doesn't work
We have a small Netware 4.10 network. Since would like to connect Windows XP (SP1) PCs to that net, we have downloaded the latest 98/2000/XP client (49sp2e.exe zipped file) and installed on one PC. Installation seems to be succesfull, but the client doesn't connect to the server (Cant'find the server error). Did I miss doing something? There is any extra configuration to do? Has anyone experienced (and possibly solved) such a problem? Thansk in advance to any helper... Riccardo Make sure you install the Novell Client with 'Custom' 'IPX Only'. Also, v4...

Netware 4.10 & Win XP SP2
Can anybody please help with a problem we seem to have? We have recently added a couple of WinXP Prof. SP2 work stations using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 to our Novell 4.10 network. The server has been fully patched. We now seem to be experience a continual message appearing on the bottom right hand task bar of these work stations saying "limited or no connectivity". The workstation seem to function correctly as we can see the 4.10 server & applications seem to run fine. Why is this message happening? How can we stop it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Netware 4.10 & Win XP Sp2
Hi folks Configuration: Novell 4.10 server (fully patched), WinXP Prof SP2 workstation using Novell Client 4.83 SP3. When we go to "My Network Places" and try & navigate, Novell Connections, then double click on the server icon, we get "main" & "sys" shown, if we then try & click on either of these icons we get a warning message as below: " \\server\MAIN is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." Followe...

Re: Netware 4.10 & Win XP Sp2
Hi folks Configuration: Novell 4.10 server (fully patched), WinXP Prof SP2 workstation using Novell Client 4.83 SP3. When we go to "My Network Places" and try & navigate, Novell Connections, then double click on the server icon, we get "main" & "sys" shown, if we then try & click on either of these icons we get a warning message as below: " \\server\MAIN is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." Followed by ...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

Netware 4.0 Compatibility with Client 4.9 on XP
My server is running NetWare 4.0 and all of my Windows 98 workstations (running client 3.32) are able to login perfectly fine. I just got a new P4 Windows XP workstation though and installed the XP client 4.9 sp2, and that one will not login at all, it doesn't even show the tress or server in the advanced tab. Does anyone know how this could be corrected? Make sure to run the installation with 'Custom' 'IPX Only' options. Also, v4.9 is not the recommended client for NetWare4.x - you should uninstall it and install this client: http://www.novell.com/coolsol...

netware 4.11 - windows XP
We have been running 4.11 with various workstations.(dos, windows of many flavors up to and including XP Homeand XP Professsional) Most workstations use client 4.83 with no problem. Our primary use is a dos based program using a btrieve engine. Every machine is fundamentally working fine. I just bought a brand new workstation and downloaded client 4.9. I coudn't connect to the server. I ugraded to XP Pro and after much effort, I connected to the server. The problem is when I run the program with the btreive engine, it always freezes up after a few minutes. Any advise? Help ...

Client 4.91 SP4 XP and Netware 4.11 / NWADMIN does not start
Hello. I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32). NWADMN95 works. NWADMIN32 (from PUBLIC/WIN32) still works from an old W2K client. I tried the W2K compatability mode, but not success. No error message, just nothing happens after doubleclick on NWADMIN32. Thanks for help, Michael Michael, > I have a Netware 4.11 server running with new XP machines (before there were > W2K clients). I am using Client 4.91 SP4 and cannot anymore start N...

Web resources about - Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ