cleint4.83sp2

We are running client 4.83sp2 on our winXP pro workstations. Lately,
some
pc's have started acting diffirent to the norm. out of about 250
workstations, with about 4000 students going thru them in a day, some
pc's
have started rejecting logins. Not specific machines or specific
users,
but at random. The client login will accept their username and
password as
valid, and disappear like for a normal login, but a few seconds later
the
login prompt re-appears and the user is requested to log in again.
This
then keeps happening with the result that the user cannot log in on
that
machine. In some cases this user can log in to another pc elsewhere,
in
others not. Very confusing and hard to try and track down. We dont get
the
reports firsthand, this gets reported via two levels of inbetween
support,
and we cannot duplicate the occurances in our testlab.

Can anyone suggest where to look, or a fix?

0
msaayman

msaayman,

Do you happen be using NetWare print queues with HP printers and
drivers?
Does the word SYSTEM display in the Username: field of the
"re-appearing"
Novell GINA, if so...

Kai and Alan bring up some good suggestions and questions in this
thread...

Newsgroups: novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp
Subject: Windows XP Login pops up with SYSTEM in Username field
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:55:54 GMT

This thread digs deepest into the issue...

Newsgroups: novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp
Subject: SYSTEM login prompt on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:10:19 GMT

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
11/7/2003 12:55:06 AM
We are using NDPS printing for the student labs, but we have been
using
this for quite a while, and the problem only started occurring in the
last
2 months. The printers are not hp, but the printservers are.

The login prompt doesnt show SYSTEM, it reverts back to the previous
person who logged into that particular workstation, in most cases THAT

person could log in on the workstation.

Could the probelm lie in an associated policy, or possibly the
DLU/roaming
profile?

0
msaayman
11/7/2003 6:45:43 AM
Basically it would prompt if, for whatever reason, the system was
trying to
access some resource that the currently logged in user doesn't have
access/rights to.

Does it make any reference to Bindery?  If so, its possible NDS
authentication if failing and its trying other methods.

Tony

0
Tony
11/7/2003 2:21:15 PM
Tony,

Its the initial login screen he's getting. System starts logging in,
then goes
back to initial login screen.

Seem to recall this was fixed in one of the post SP2 patches - I'd
suggest
installing 483psp2e.exe

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://speirs.mine.nu

(No email unless requested please)

0
Hamish
11/8/2003 12:07:21 AM
Have you got Workstation Manager installed (Zen 3.2)?

Some apps change the permissions in the registry, and that makes
nwgina
unable to continue with login, so it cames back to the ctrl+alt+del
screen.

We have had this problem with ViewNow Netmanage, Novell supplied a
special nwgina.dll, they said the fix will be in the next patch (it is

not in the "e" post SP2).

Jesus.

0
Jesus

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Netware Administrator for Windows XP
Hi! we are using Novell Netware 4.2 under Windows 98 SE. and to administrate users, i use Novell Administrator for windows 98 Requester Version 3.30.0. but i can not use this probram under Windows XP. do you know if i can find Novell Administrator for windows XP. Many thanks. Ahmed Abdelmoumen Ahmed, You need to use nwadmn32.exe. If its on your server it'll be in the sys:public\win32 directory, if its not there you can download from: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/admn519f.exe/ -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. ...

Netware and Windows XP Home
I understand that the Netware Client is not officially supported on Windows XP Home. I've also read on this site that much of Netware 6.5's functionality is available with only a browser on the client. Does this mean that I no longer need the Netware Client on a Netware 6.5 installation? However, if the Netware Client is still needed, are there any workarounds for Windows XP Home. Thanks!!! Jerry K. A client is still recommended in most cases. There are no required workarounds for XP Home because there are no issues. It is simply not supported because MS does n...

Netware backupexec XP workstation
Hi - I have been trying to enable backup of the internal drive of an XP (sp2) workstatsion to the central backup unit on our 2 server cluster. The backup software is Backupexec 9.1 and is on Server2 or the system. I have enabled the TSA software on the XP workstation and it is running (Started) in the services section of the XP modules. When I scan for new clients on Server2 via Backupexec it is detected, but when I try a sample backup of the Workstation through Backupexec I cannot login to the Workstation TSA from the Backupexec console. ERROR - Unable to log into Server2 Workst...

Netware and XP password synchronization
I am unable to synchronize my NDS password with the local XP workstation password. The option on the workstation login screen is disabled. We have no NT servers and use client version 4.90. Is this possible with Netware and XP pro workstations? Just a guess, but is NMAS Authentication enabled? Check in client properties on the Advanced Login tab. -- -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp] Barry, > Just a guess, but is NMAS Authentication enabled? Check in client > properties on the Advanced Login tab. Even worse, just having NMAS installed will do thi...

XP Client and NetWare 5
Hi, all. Which version of client do u recommend to use with WIN XP SP2 and NETWARE 5.1 sp6??? Thanks -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ The latest, version 4.91 with SP2. Try earlier versions only if you have specific issues with this one. There are also a few post-SP2 patches available you might try in case of any such issues. Gerald Reynolds Leonardo Bidi wrote: > > Hi, all. > Which version of client do u recommend to use with WIN XP SP2 and > NETWARE 5.1 sp6??? > > Thanks > ...

Capturing Netware Printers under XP
Is it possible to capture a Netware SB4.2 printer as a DOS printer with Windows XP Pro? I can add a Netware printer OK in XP, but I don't see where it lets you assign an LPT port to it. I need to still print from a DOS legacy application, and the only thing that it understands is LTP1-3, not a UNC naming convention. >Try the following command: net use lpt1 \\servername\printqueue Is it possible to capture a Netware SB4.2 printer as a DOS printer with > Windows XP Pro? I can add a Netware printer OK in XP, but I don't see > where it lets you assign an LPT p...

Netware & Windows XP...
Windows XP Pro SP 2 Novell Client 4.90 SP2 Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall and still be able to connect to my Netware tree? Whenever I enable my firewall...even with exceptions...all my Netware traffic comes to a screaching halt. Thanx. You may want to give this a go: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10095407.htm Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a real firewall instead of the MS toy. stmasi@hotmail.com wrote: > Windows XP Pro SP 2 > Novell Client 4.90 SP2 > > Is there a way I can ENABLE my Windows XP firewall ...

Login to Netware on an XP machine
We have an XP machine with Windows XP SP1 installed, aswell Novell Client 4.90. Aswell as having the client installed on an XP machine you need to have a local XP account setup. This is not a very viable option as we run in a school and can not have over 1000 user accounts on every pc. After some research I have created just the 1 XP and have enabled AutoAdminLogon in the registry. The only problem now is that when the PC boots the Auto logon happens for the XP account and loads straight to the desktop with giving you the option to logon to the Netware system. The onl...

Windows XP Timesynchronisation and Netware
hi, i have a problem with timesynchronisation between winxps and netware. timesync between win2ks and netware are ok. the timesync ist at the netware activate and at the nc, too. does anybody know about this problem? what can i check or do? thanks. When someone logs into the network from an XP workstation, they need to have 'power user' rights in order for the time to be updated from the NetWare server. What version of the client are you running by the way? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Web resources about - cleint4.83sp2 - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp